Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 70 posts
  • 38 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Gryszzz
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you like music pins?”

• Yes, love them! 110 votes
      43%
    • No, don't care for them. 58 votes
      23%
    • Indifferent, as long as the layout and code is good. 87 votes
      34%

(255 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

B22551A8-5016-4FE1-953B-70B98911E094 (resized).jpeg
    21F1D698-B124-4499-8748-2495D1D2EC92 (resized).jpeg
    7B50D508-2465-4A53-8DE6-F7DBE5D71C75 (resized).jpeg
    24B4FB1B-3B71-43F9-BC28-C9DD92B79C6E (resized).jpeg
    989F4F4C-6E1F-4F3D-ADB6-E073F4AF723E (resized).jpeg
    F144AD32-E2BC-43E2-9700-CF0E61DC2FC2 (resized).jpeg
    B71C9C3A-F3C4-4FE2-A453-0EBC86838970 (resized).jpeg

There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 5 years ago

It seems that every year or so a new music pin comes out, and people (at least on pinside) are asking for more. I'm not sure I personally would ever want to own one. I don't think the bands I like would make a great pin, and even if they would, I would be fearful that I would tire of the songs easily if I played too much. So, I was wondering how popular or unpopular they are. Obviously, many people like them, but is it a majority? I thought I would conduct an (unscientific) poll of pinside.

#2 5 years ago

I like playing them on location but owning one gets repetitive. I still can't listen to Aerosmith since I owned it. Although I'd make an exception to trade my IM for an ACDC if the offer came up.

#3 5 years ago

With the right music, great.
    With the wrong music, nothing will save the game for me.

I’d rather see more original themes.

#4 5 years ago

maybe 1 or 2 music games but honestly it gets boring after awhile and stern is flooding the hobby one after another,it must be a fast and easy way of keeping pins rolling out the door..they need to focus more on old school games like how they made BM66(I had always wished for a pin based on the old school BM),hopefully another run at LOTR,and I wish they would make a He-Man and the masters of the universe pin..that would be cool.

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from Cycloneman:

maybe 1 or 2 music games but honestly it gets boring after awhile and stern is flooding the hobby one after another,

Respectfully disagree.

ACDC and Metallica are 2 of Stern's top 5 all time pins IMHO, and I'm not alone.
    Rulesets are deep and challenging, and they are fan favorites for non and part time pinheads.
    Aerosmith and Kiss are good...but need better code (especially Aerosmith).
    Iron Maiden is quickly shaping up to be Stern's best Spike2 game.

Flood the hobby silly.....LONG list of bands I would love to see a pin made about them.
    But agree here - they must have unique layouts and keep pushing the "new" envelope like they did with IMDN.
    Kiss and Aerosmith are nearly identical games, and that's no good.

#6 5 years ago

If I hate the music no way I am getting the game (I am in a minority - can't listen to the Beatles so would never get that game). If music is good or even ok and I liked layout and code would get it. Most music on pins gets repetitive...band or regular pin....as long as I can lower volume of music but not call outs makes music more background noise and I don't focus on it so does not bother me.

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from ejg10532626:

Respectfully disagree.
    ACDC and Metallica are 2 of Stern's top 5 all time pins IMHO, and I'm not alone.
    Rulesets are deep and challenging, and they are fan favorites for non and part time pinheads.
    Aerosmith and Kiss are good...but need better code (especially Aerosmith).
    Iron Maiden is quickly shaping up to be Stern's best Spike2 game.
    Flood the hobby silly.....LONG list of bands I would love to see a pin made about them.
    But agree here - they must have unique layouts and keep pushing the "new" envelope like they did with IMDN.

I always forget to mention "only my opinion"...Lol!!

Quoted from ejg10532626:

Thats what i really meant by flood the hobby...same chick,different makeup.

#8 5 years ago

Ask me this after someone has the balls to do a music pin NOT based on another old rock band that appeals to only white males age 40 and above. Don’t get me wrong, I get why they continue to rehash that era/genre as that target demographic is into this hobby, but it’s just not my cup of tea.

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from japespin:

Ask me this after someone has the balls to do a music pin NOT based on another old rock band that appeals to only white males age 40 and above. Don’t get me wrong, I get why they continue to rehash that era/genre as that target demographic is into this hobby, but it’s just not my cup of tea.

you mean like Run DMC or Poop Dog...Lol!!!

#10 5 years ago

Love them so far!

#11 5 years ago

Much better than B grade superheros. I’m looking at you Deadpool.

If the game is good the game is good. Stern music pins are fun as hell for the most part. Music is always fine, even when I’m not a fan of the band.

Ymmv.

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from Cycloneman:

Exactly.

He has a point, but who in today's music is THAT popular and would make for a good pin theme?
    Maroon 5? Too pretty.
    Kings of Leon/Foo Fighters? Maybe a bit too late.

U2 - keep the theme/songs to Actung baby and prior - I say Yes!..but again, as a pinball title the masses likely will not bite.

Phish/Pearl Jam would both work, and sell--no doubt.

#13 5 years ago

No music pin really has a specific theme. Or overall story being told. And they do not "create a world under glass."
    As every song is telling a different story. And every album was released at different times in the bands career.

Think of any great pinball machine. The shots start a mode advancing the story. That all tie into the theme together. Not modes based on different songs by the same artist. That have nothing to do with eachother other than the band.

What is the overall story being played out in ACDC, Aerosmith, Metallica etc.
    I have played Iron Maiden recently and honestly have no clue what the difference in any song/ mode was.

#14 5 years ago

.....more than I thought I would. Seems it intergrades well with the flow and anticipation of the game and modes.

#15 5 years ago

Love the music pins as I like rock music. I’m glad that they are different than other mode based pins and always seem to be fast and furious shooting machines which ususally goes well with the music.

If your really into music don’t see how you can’t like these machines.

#16 5 years ago

Generally speaking, yes, but if I'm not into the band, I wouldn't buy it - even if the code/layout is awesome. I've thoroughly enjoyed playing Kiss and Aerosmith, but I don't like either band enough to ever consider plunking down that kind of cash. I'll play the hell out of them on location, though. I have to really be bought into a particular theme before buying a game. I've only got so much space, and my pinball budget isn't anywhere near as disposable as I wish it were.

The opposite is true for me, too, though. I may really like a particular band/artist, but if I can't get into the layout or code, I wouldn't buy that game either. Rob Zombie is a prime example of this for me (not a fan of the playfield art and layout).

AC/DC, Metallica, and (to a slightly lesser extent) Iron Maiden check both boxes. I'm really hopeful that Alice Cooper will join that list.

I'd love to see a Nine Inch Nails pin someday, but for now, I've got the NIN/Radiohead code running on my TWD to keep me happy.

#17 5 years ago

my mancave has a big music and concert poster theme/focus, and im a big rock fan. i bought aerosmith recently and it fits well but im unsure of its long term playability. i will say tho...the honeymoon period of the aerosmith pinball has reinspired me to listen to more aerosmith!

i do like the idea of music pinballs but none of them, for me, have captured the potential. with each song theres an opportunity to explore really creative playfield featues. i think the beatles, if it ever happens, will be great to see. things like yellow submarine have so much potential on the playfield.

other bands id get excited about, with an understanding it might not be commercially perfect...
    —zeppelin
    —believe it or not, I think a snoop dogg/dr dre pinball could pretty rad, esp the aftermarket subwoofer stuff!
    —daft punk and to a lesser extent the chemical brothers and/or some kind of EDM focused pinball
    —queens of the stone age
    —pink floyd (debatable on song choices obvs but the idea of doing a “Wall” feature that you break down sounds so good. also, theming “Money” seems like a no brainer)

#18 5 years ago

Music pins are extremely popular and sell extremely well.
    I really like AC/DC and the music. I just got my IMDN, don’t like the music but it’s fitting to the theme and the game is so well laid out, it doesn’t bother me.
    I’ve owned Metallica, great pin but do not like the music. I like to have a variation of pins in my collection and will always have at least two music pins.
    Best time ever for variety of companies and pins.

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from jfesler:

With the right music, great.
    With the wrong music, nothing will save the game for me.
    I’d rather see more original themes.

^^ This ^^

John

#20 5 years ago

More games like Houdini please. Something most of us know but is something fresh in terms of a theme.

Music pins are getting trite and "meh". While I like ACDC, Metallica, and Iron Maiden (seen all 3 at concerts, great shows to say the least), I would like a breath of fresh air.

American Pinball brought us something different and proved people will gladly pay more than the Pro price for it.

#21 5 years ago

I love the music pins but it also needs to be a good game which luckily most have been pretty good games. So far I own AC DC premium, aerosmith LE, Elvis, Metallica, Guns N Roses, kiss, Rob zombie, and I got iron maiden on order.

#22 5 years ago

ZZ TOP...Now that would be a Sharp dressed Pin.

#23 5 years ago

All of the music pins seem to be rock, and mostly metal, based. I’m not sure how another genre would do. Beastie Boys would be fun to try. They have a lot of variety, and I can see some of the songs fitting in well with a pin.

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

So far I own AC DC premium, aerosmith LE, Elvis, Metallica, Guns N Roses, kiss, Rob zombie, and I got iron maiden on order.

VERY COOL! which one gets the most plays? and tell me you bought the KISS topper!

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from raycasual:

VERY COOL! which one gets the most plays? and tell me you bought the KISS topper!

AC DC, Metallica, and kiss get played the most. I actually don't have the kiss topper it's cool looking but it does cause a lot of glare.

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

Beastie Boys would be fun to try. They have a lot of variety, and I can see some of the songs fitting in well with a pin.

Oh no doubt! intergalactic, sabotage, fight for your right to party, brass monkey, etc. omg you got me crazy excited now

#27 5 years ago

I like many of the newer music pins, but would prefer them as other themes.

#28 5 years ago

Never understood the logic of getting bored listening to the same songs while playing a pin. Some of the non music pins have some of the worse music you can imagine. A well integrated music pin, regardless of the music, is far better than listening to some lame generic jingle IMHO.

#30 5 years ago
    Quoted from MacLean:

Never understood the logic of getting bored listening to the same songs while playing a pin. Some of the non music pins have some of the worse music you can imagine. A well integrated music pin, regardless of the music, is far better than listening to some lame generic jingle IMHO.

Well said, never could figure out that perspective either.

Most generic pinball music gets stale and annoying very quickly.

#31 5 years ago
    Quoted from MacLean:

For me, it’s not so much about getting sick of the songs while playing as it is getting sick of the songs in general because I play too much and not wanting to hear the songs later on my stereo. I’m not sure that would happen, but that’s one of my fears. So far, they haven’t made a music pin for a band I love yet, but if they did, that fear might hold me back from owning.

#32 5 years ago

I’m not a fan, though a big part of it is I just don’t really enjoy any of the bands and the modes don’t do anything for me. Everyone talks about AC/DC’s ruleset but it feels like doing taxes to me, and I’m not getting anything from the soundtrack. If they were more story-based or better-themed I might enjoy them more, but I just don’t get the sense that I’m playing a game within the game like I do with other pins.

#33 5 years ago
    Quoted from Cycloneman:

More likely to hear those artists' music than you are Iron Maiden or Aerosmith at Emporium arcade or Coin Op here in the SF Bay Area on a Saturday night.

I'm not shitting on all yall that are into old rock, the way you're shitting on those of us into hip hop.. I'm just saying there are plenty ofnon-rock music fans that frequent pinball/arcade venues, where a "poop dog" as you put it, might do well. And I for one would welcome any company with the balls to give it a shot. Wishful thinking, I know, but just giving my honest answer to the OP's question.

#34 5 years ago

Never cared for them much and thought I would never pick one up until...Iron maiden!

#35 5 years ago
    Quoted from japespin:

More likely to hear those artists' music than you are Iron Maiden or Aerosmith at Emporium arcade or Coin Op here in the SF Bay Area on a Saturday night.
    I'm not shitting on all yall that are into old rock, the way you're shitting on those of us into hip hop.. I'm just saying there are plenty ofnon-rock music fans that frequent pinball/arcade venues, where a "poop dog" as you put it, might do well. And I for one would welcome any company with the balls to give it a shot. Wishful thinking, I know, but just giving my honest answer to the OP's question.

honestly i could care less about any music themed pin whether rap,rock, or whatever rainbow club you've visited in SF.

#36 5 years ago
    Quoted from trunchbull:

I’m not a fan, though a big part of it is I just don’t really enjoy any of the bands and the modes don’t do anything for me. Everyone talks about AC/DC’s ruleset but it feels like doing taxes to me, and I’m not getting anything from the soundtrack. If they were more story-based or better-themed I might enjoy them more

Until Stern releases an H&R Block pin, I’d give AC/DC another shot.
    The songs ARE the stories, few pins have them as well integrated.

#37 5 years ago
    Quoted from Vino:

Until Stern releases an H&R Block pin, I’d give AC/DC another shot.
    The songs are the stories, few pins have them as well integrated.

Roth IRA Conversion multiball!!!

#38 5 years ago

Nope

21F1D698-B124-4499-8748-2495D1D2EC92 (resized).jpeg21F1D698-B124-4499-8748-2495D1D2EC92 (resized).jpeg24B4FB1B-3B71-43F9-BC28-C9DD92B79C6E (resized).jpeg24B4FB1B-3B71-43F9-BC28-C9DD92B79C6E (resized).jpeg7B50D508-2465-4A53-8DE6-F7DBE5D71C75 (resized).jpeg7B50D508-2465-4A53-8DE6-F7DBE5D71C75 (resized).jpeg989F4F4C-6E1F-4F3D-ADB6-E073F4AF723E (resized).jpeg989F4F4C-6E1F-4F3D-ADB6-E073F4AF723E (resized).jpegB71C9C3A-F3C4-4FE2-A453-0EBC86838970 (resized).jpegB71C9C3A-F3C4-4FE2-A453-0EBC86838970 (resized).jpegF144AD32-E2BC-43E2-9700-CF0E61DC2FC2 (resized).jpegF144AD32-E2BC-43E2-9700-CF0E61DC2FC2 (resized).jpeg
    #39 5 years ago
    Quoted from Cycloneman:

honestly i could care less about any music themed pin whether rap,rock, or whatever rainbow club you've visited in SF.

How much less could you care?

#40 5 years ago
    Quoted from 30FathomDave:

How much less could you care?

A lot..

#41 5 years ago

Fire it up at 12 minutes. This interview was 2011.

#42 5 years ago

I'm indifferent. Not my favorite kind of theme but have to admit I did buy one. Bought a MET not because I like the band but because gameplay is great. Also hard to ignore that most if not all Stern top sellers are music themes.

#43 5 years ago

Zeppelin, Sabbath, Megadeth, Slayer and Rush will make my collection complete.

Runners up, Floyd, Hendrix and Beastie Boys

#44 5 years ago

I’ve had HS2 for years now. Still love to play it. But I play it with the volume at the lowest level because I can’t bear to hear the ZZ Top “LeGrange”chords again. So I guess it comes down to whether it’s a good game or not. Never had any love for AC/DC but I really like the game. Sometimes game play overrides theme. Sometimes not.

#45 5 years ago

I HATE music pins. That's why I only own two of them (MET and AC/DC). But I don't own either of those because of being music pins. I own them because they are absolutely spectacular games. Sometimes a music pin can cross over to being a great game. And at that point it is on the table for me to buy it. And both of those games are spectacular because of amazing software. Lyman hit it out of the park with both. That doesn't mean he gets a free pass, but without his work I wouldn't own either.

#46 5 years ago
    Quoted from Fixie:

Still love to play it. But I play it with the volume at the lowest level because I can’t bear to hear the ZZ Top “LeGrange”chords again

yeah but it would be cool to see a ZZ TOP pin with its own theme,you never know it could be made.

Quoted from japespin:

I'm not shitting on all yall that are into old rock, the way you're shitting on those of us into hip hop

oh yeah,soul train or night of the living baseheads,vanilla ice pin would be a good pin theme i guess..

#47 5 years ago

How about a 90s Canadian music pinball

Jann Arden, lowest of the low, The Hip, etc

The wizard mode would be... Get the barenaked ladies back together in time to play Freedom Fest at the Peace Bridge.

#48 5 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

So far, they haven’t made a music pin for a band I love yet, but if they did, that fear might hold me back from owning.

Sorry, gotta disagree. You don't have to love Iron Maiden or Metallica to enjoy 2 of the best pinball experiences ever!

#49 5 years ago

Tatman, you f'en rock, brother! You have my dream collection.

Although, I don't see IM?

#50 5 years ago

It's all about the game play.

There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-like-music-pins-poll and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.