(Topic ID: 231546)

Goth, Industrial, Post-punk and alternative music Discussion thread.

By rai

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 265 posts
  • 56 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 61 days ago by Rob_G
  • Topic is favorited by 17 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20230605_211832.jpg
Peace_war (resized).jpg
Goth_Light (resized).JPG
Cure_tirl (resized).JPG
7602FF06-48CC-459F-BAF2-9C5AED1F3BB6 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
il_570xN.1421125638_dt6g (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Joydivision.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I'm thinking Magazine was one of the first bands I heard that bridged the gap between punk and goth. Singer Howard Devoto was formerly a member of the Buzzcocks.
If you've never listened to them, they were pretty awesome.

Yea, Magazine's "Real life" is great - will never date either IMO. I like everything Howard Devoto has done including the kind of lost album by his later band Luxuria -"Unaswerable lust".

One of my favorite bands & album over the decades has been The sisters of mercy & "Floodland".

#47 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

First last and always and Floodland are both completely perfect albums from start to finish in diff'rent ways.
Shit they have some great cover songs too.

Totally agree & yea, some great cover versions, like knocking on heavens door, Emma, 1969 ect & of course the great clip for "Black Planet".

#54 5 years ago

Discovered this obscure band from the early/mid 80s recently "Burning skies of elysium", they were from a town (Horley) which was near where the Cure were from originally (Crawley).

Vocals sound like Ian Astbury & the music the Cure. Brilliant album, I don't know how this band remained virtually unknown.

More on them...

http://www.systemsofromance.com/blog/2009/01/burning-skies-of-elysium-the-last-revolving-door-lp/

#62 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Oops.
Then I give you Gidget Goes To Hell.

"Suburban lawns" new discovery for me - great!

#80 5 years ago

If you like the Sisters of Mercy, Andrew Eldritche's side project "Sisterhood" - gift album is pretty good if you haven't heard it.

#82 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Suburban Lawns was a fun local band that wasn't around too long. They kind of reminded me of Siouxsie and the Banshees which is why I threw it up there.
They opened for them at a concert I went to. The skinny dude with the dark hair in the Gidget Goes to Hell video was the head DJ and program director at KNAC radio and we partied with him at the gig. That Alfa Romeo in the video was his and he asked me how to keep it running. lol. He was cool.

I was just listening to Janitor, (the other clip with the captions) great song, Su Tissue’s hair, vocal style, lyrics & her look is brilliant. I can see some similarities to Siouxsie & the banchees too.

Has got me wondering what happened to her as others are. Any idea?

#88 5 years ago

The Damned - Phantasmagoria. The whole album is great.

1 month later
3 weeks later
#182 5 years ago
Quoted from neemypeemy:

One of my favs, just posted a few days ago above

Yep, same for me. I think that prompted me to get them out for a listen.

#184 5 years ago

Friday's playlist highlights:

#187 5 years ago
Quoted from neemypeemy:

RIP Mark Hollis
Talk Talk

That's sad to hear, great band. I had looked up Mark Hollis a few times over the years hoping he would return to the music scene, but never did.

1 week later
#196 5 years ago

1 year later
#237 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

Was listening to The Fall: Live at the Witch Trials recently... some really great tracks on there... took me back. It seems to be a mix of punk and post-punk depending which track you listen to, not that I have a clear picture of how to differentiate between the two

Yeah, it is such a great album overall, the track " frightened" in particular has words that have stuck in my head for decades.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Joydivision.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-like-goth-or-industrial-music-discussion-thread-?tu=Joydivision and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.