(Topic ID: 231546)

Goth, Industrial, Post-punk and alternative music Discussion thread.

By rai

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 265 posts
  • 56 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 40 days ago by Rob_G
  • Topic is favorited by 17 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20230605_211832.jpg
Peace_war (resized).jpg
Goth_Light (resized).JPG
Cure_tirl (resized).JPG
7602FF06-48CC-459F-BAF2-9C5AED1F3BB6 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
il_570xN.1421125638_dt6g (resized).jpg

There are 265 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 6.
#202 5 years ago

A newer band:

1 month later
#204 4 years ago

Early Ultravox

#205 4 years ago

Off!

#206 4 years ago

Operation Ivy

#207 4 years ago

Ganser

#208 4 years ago

Cubanate

#209 4 years ago

Looking forward to PWEI American tour.

#210 4 years ago
Quoted from jasonp:

TYPE O NEGATIVE

I saw them live in my teens and 20s

#211 4 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

Looking forward to PWEI American tour.

We will be at Cold Waves Chicago when they play this year!

#213 4 years ago

Been listening to a lot of early Simple Minds lately

4 weeks later
#214 4 years ago

I hooked up with my wife and mother of my children at a goth/industrial club back in the day.
There was lots of drugs, but when it came time to be responsible we hunkered down.
Figured this thread could use a drunken bump at the wee hours of the morn to keep it relevant.
We were a couple of fucked up club kids that turned out to be descent parents all said and done.
Anyhow, here's a VNV track to keep this thread in the past/here and now.

1 month later
#215 4 years ago

Perhaps this thread needs it's own thread?

#216 4 years ago

I Saw Gary Numan mentioned. I always recommend his Living Ornaments '79 album to any fans I meet. (when your burned out on your favorites, there's always tributes and live shows)

#217 4 years ago

#219 4 years ago

Not really goth industrial, but I would throw this in a mix.

#220 4 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

I Saw Gary Numan mentioned. I always recommend his Living Ornaments '79 album to any fans I meet. (when your burned out on your favorites, there's always tributes and live shows)

I'm a Numanoid. There's a 5 disc set you can buy that has 3 studio albums along with a 2-disc Living Ornaments '81.

He has a ton of live stuff available. Seems like every studio album he releases there's a live show released shortly afterwards.

1 week later
#221 4 years ago

New Black Marble coming in October...hope his Bass doesn't disappear too much

#222 4 years ago

PIG tours later this year.
Pig is led by Raymond Watts the previous best singer in KMFDM.

https://pigindustries.com/shows

1 week later
#224 4 years ago

Dark City movie trailer with Numan? Edit - nope.:

Germany's Diary of Dreams, one of those "air drumming" songs:

#225 4 years ago

Loving some Hibou these days

1 week later
2 weeks later
#227 4 years ago

KMFDM has their new album PARADISE out now!
It has its musical moments, the lyrics are hella trite, but thats kmfdm...

11 months later
#229 3 years ago

Glad I found this topic, I was planning to start one about experimental, post-punk and alternative music myself!

My musical path changed drastically when I stumbled across the John Peel show in the early 80's, which got me big into acts like Killing Joke, Bauhaus, Joy Division, The Fall, The Cure, Cabaret Voltaire, Sisters Of Mercy and a seemingly endless list of other artists... got very much into almost everything on 4AD at one point, but the music turned a bit too 'soft' for with acts like Lush and The Pale Saints appearing on the label... Dead Can Dance were probably my favourite band on 4AD, with Cocteau Twins, Dif Juz, Modern English, Xmal Deuchland, Wolfgang Press, Clan of Xymox being other favourites... Other artists that really floated my boat, and still do, are Big Black, Death In June, Swans, Current 93, Radiohead, Portishead... too many to list really... my taste drifted towards drone, experimental, noise and general weird shit, with artists like Beequeen, Alio Die, Muslimgauze, Band of Pain, Novy Svet, Ait!, Mushroom's Patience, Andrew Liles, Bardoseneticcube, Chaos as Shelter, Agnivolok, The Hafler Trio, Nurse With Wound, Godspeed you! Black Emperor, Amir Baghiri, Tor Lundwall, Exit in Grey, Contagious Orgasm and too many others to list!

Anyone else here into this stuff??

#230 3 years ago

Before Wolfgang press went full club they were great. Took me, literally, years to get Burdon of Mules on vinyl which was the only way it came.
Legendary & other Tall Stories is an all time great 'album.'

#231 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Before Wolfgang press went full club they were great. Took me, literally, years to get Burdon of Mules on vinyl which was the only way it came.

Burden of Mules is excellent, and I'm old enough to have just got into them when it came out... I lost interest in them when, as you say, they went 'full club'... Before Wolfgang Press they were Rema-Rema, and made a 12" single called Wheel in the Roses, you can hear the similarity to Burden of Mules... There's a lot of excellent stuff in those early 4AD releases!

#232 3 years ago

Hey guys. I happened on combichrist and their song “get your body beat.” It’s got a great beat and it’s a great song for pumping me up for weightlifting. Any suggestions for others? I don’t have Spotify so it’s a bit tricky to find random songs.

1 week later
#233 3 years ago

Listening to And One and thought of this thread.

#234 3 years ago

Also some VNV Nation.

#235 3 years ago

Love me some And One and VNV. Just loaded up my Metallica with some old club favorites which include Panzer Mensch and Fearless (vocal).

1 month later
#236 3 years ago

Was listening to The Fall: Live at the Witch Trials recently... some really great tracks on there... took me back. It seems to be a mix of punk and post-punk depending which track you listen to, not that I have a clear picture of how to differentiate between the two

#237 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

Was listening to The Fall: Live at the Witch Trials recently... some really great tracks on there... took me back. It seems to be a mix of punk and post-punk depending which track you listen to, not that I have a clear picture of how to differentiate between the two

Yeah, it is such a great album overall, the track " frightened" in particular has words that have stuck in my head for decades.

#238 3 years ago
Quoted from Joydivision:

Yeah, it is such a great album overall, the track " frightened" in particular has words that have stuck in my head for decades.

Funny you should mention that track, because that's the track I'm most familiar with and one that sticks in my head for days after hearing it!! Even thinking of it has made the bassline come back in my mind... Another track that sticks, but not as much as Frightened, is Two Steps Back.

7 months later
#239 2 years ago

Pretty damn amazing mashup.

3 months later
#240 2 years ago

I find interesting some of the tunes one heard, yet never really listened to ...

The list goes on and on. To me music is about more than just the way it sounds or feels.

#241 2 years ago

My Type O Negative tribute did our first show a few weeks ago. First show any of us had played in 2 years.

#242 2 years ago

Industrial before it went disco...

#243 2 years ago

How about some tasteful black metal:

2 months later
#244 2 years ago

Listening to a lot of Boy Harsher recently...

This is their flagship track; Pain:

#245 2 years ago

I've listened to tons of The Fall over the years but for whatever reason never got around to Dragnet until last week, and jeez. Just one brilliant LP/EP after another after another in the '70s and '80s.

#246 2 years ago

Do not watch this if the sight of a naked female breast offends you... unless you want to be offended of course!

#247 2 years ago

So much good stuff in this thread. I am all over the map with my musical tastes. DEVO was the first band I was really into, and early MTV was pretty awesome as well. But the thing that I remember most from the early 80s is a weird concert film. Weird because it wasn’t a single concert or band.

URGH! A Music War. Filmed in 1980, The Movie Channel seemed to run it constantly for maybe all of 1983, and I couldn’t turn it off if I came across it. Acts as mainstream as the Police and Go Gos, and as offbeat as Klaus Nomi and Pere Ubu. British New Wave, California Punk, Reggae and even a spot of spoken word. All the tracks are on YouTube, and I can’t recommend it enough, if you are unfamiliar.

Here are a few of my favorites:

Police

Alley Cats

Klaus Nomi

Gary Numan

Steel Pulse

#248 2 years ago
Quoted from Zero_Hour:

URGH! A Music War. Filmed in 1980, The Movie Channel seemed to run it constantly for maybe all of 1983,

Never heard of that, thanks for the tip! 1980/81 were probably the most influential years for me musically, so I'm definitely interested in seeing this!

#249 2 years ago
Quoted from Zero_Hour:

URGH! A Music War. Filmed in 1980

Thanks, I enjoyed that!
https://vimeo.com/445459902

Speaking of great compilations, how about the P.E.A.C.E./War double album? Endless hours of listening pleasure.

https://open.spotify.com/album/00qvcY0mnx2nYNrqUaEA2k?si=Lj0V_y7iQq2ifl2rYHAceA

Peace_war (resized).jpgPeace_war (resized).jpg

8 months later
#250 1 year ago

Anyone know Que Bono from the early 80's? I recorded probably their entire musical output from the John Peel show in '81, and only recently found out who the artist is for this superb group! They only made one 7" single (Making Noise) before they had a massive row and split up... Even the John Peel session wasn't pressed to vinyl, real shame, the singer was awesome IMO... check out one of the very few videos on the net... she has a kind of mesmerising presence... I'm lucky to have captured the 4 tracks from the Peel Show!

There are 265 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-like-goth-or-industrial-music-discussion-thread-/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.