(Topic ID: 291931)

Do you leave the power on for extended periods?

By sethi_i

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you leave the power on for extended periods?”

• A couple of days is OK 3 votes
      4%
    • Turn it off every night 12 votes
      16%
    • Turn it off as soon as you're done playing 58 votes
      79%

(73 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Power Strip (resized).jpg
    8540B9C4-935D-49D4-B31A-C00C12FB673E (resized).jpeg

#1 2 years ago

I played a game on GotG tonight and had a score of 400k. It was an 'eh' game but then "Enter Your Initials" came up. I knew I hadn't done anything really good in the game, so I was totally confused. I put my initials in, and it said High Score #1.

That's nowhere near my previous high scores, so I ran thru the list. Everything was back to default except the GC. I'm sure no one would have done a reset. I don't even keep the keys in the machines.

So it got me thinking... Could it be because I leave the machines on for extended periods. I usually play a few games every night. I don't play every machine, but I'll usually play a couple of different ones. Normally, I leave the machines on when I finish...in case I want go back later. That usually means they are on overnight or maybe even a couple of nights. I know it's wasteful, but is it harmful to the machine?

#2 2 years ago
    Quoted from sethi_i:

So it got me thinking... Could it be because I leave the machines on for extended periods.

No. It's because you have high score reset every so many plays.

Turn it off if you want to save them.

LTG : )

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I didn't even know that was a setting! Either we don't play enough or it's a pretty high number, because I've had that machine for a couple of years now. What are your thoughts on the power question? Is that a harmful habit?

#4 2 years ago
    Quoted from sethi_i:

What are your thoughts on the power question? Is that a harmful habit?

They were built for commercial use. To be on a lot.

In a home setting. If you are done playing in your game room and won't go back for an hour or more. I'd turn them off.

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Quoted from sethi_i:

I didn't even know that was a setting! Either we don't play enough or it's a pretty high number, because I've had that machine for a couple of years now. What are your thoughts on the power question? Is that a harmful habit?

I think default is every 5 thousand plays. So chances are it will take you a long time to reach that.
    On location my game took a year an a half to hit the reset mark and that’s with a couple dedicated patrons. It’s a lot more than you think, I’ll tell ya that much.

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

I think default is every 5 thousand plays.

TZ default is reset every 3000. (adjustment 4#09)

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

I think default is every 5 thousand plays.

Quoted from Neal_W:

TZ default is reset every 3000.

Some are less. You can adjust them to more or less or off.

#8 2 years ago

Don't you love an easy answer, I sure do.

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from sethi_i:

So it got me thinking... Could it be because I leave the machines on for extended periods. I usually play a few games every night. I don't play every machine, but I'll usually play a couple of different ones. Normally, I leave the machines on when I finish...in case I want go back later. That usually means they are on overnight or maybe even a couple of nights. I know it's wasteful, but is it harmful to the machine?

I will add,,, TURN if off and UNPLUG all of them... You never know when a electrical storm will come and lightning strike the ground.... LUCKILY for us the strike was next door however,,, It destroyed the 65 inch tv,, all the computer equipment items.... Then the stereo components,, receiver.amp speakers dvd,,,, Finished off a playstation and also the deep freeze in another room....

This was all in the basement area...Now imagine how much damage we could of had if the 13 pinballs I have down here were plugged IN to the power strips, surge protectors I use ALL the time.. We always have all the games ..pins unplugged and keep them till playing. Your choice of course... safety first....And the 12 or so I keep upstairs in the living area....

If you can trust Mother Nature and always be home and unplugging pins ,,, go for it.... Stuff happens for sure....
    The next day we went to town for a deep freeze and met a few couples buying ALL new appliances for their homes.. That could OR would have been our pins and etc,,,,,,,NO thanks,, Be safe Pinballers....

NT

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Don't you love an easy answer, I sure do.

Automatic score reset was the best possible answer!! Now I just have to get in the habit of turning off machines.

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from NicToria:

I will add,,, TURN if off and UNPLUG all of them... You never know when a electrical storm will come and lightning strike the ground.... LUCKILY for us the strike was next door however,,, It destroyed the 65 inch tv,, all the computer equipment items.... Then the stereo components,, receiver.amp speakers dvd,,,, Finished off a playstation and also the deep freeze in another room....
    This was all in the basement area...Now imagine how much damage we could of had if the 13 pinballs I have down here were plugged IN to the power strips, surge protectors I use ALL the time.. We always have all the games ..pins unplugged and keep them till playing. Your choice of course... safety first....And the 12 or so I keep upstairs in the living area....
    If you can trust Mother Nature and always be home and unplugging pins ,,, go for it.... Stuff happens for sure....
    The next day we went to town for a deep freeze and met a few couples buying ALL new appliances for their homes.. That could OR would have been our pins and etc,,,,,,,NO thanks,, Be safe Pinballers....
    NT

I’ve got all of my arcades and my pin on their own breaker in the panel. We don’t use the switches on the games but instead use the breaker to power up and down. Is the breaker off as safe as unplugged or no?

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from OutlawTorn304:

Is the breaker off as safe as unplugged or no?

No. Lightening could breach the circuit breaker.

#13 2 years ago

Get a whole house surge protector.

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from NicToria:

NT

I unplug if I start hearing thunder. I have nice surge protectors on the other expensive elecronics and still unplug those. My wife thinks I'm weird (not just for that).

#15 2 years ago
    Quoted from NicToria:

NT

Years ago we had a lightning strike near our house. It went thru surge protectors, even killed our gfci's. Got our TV, microwave, and stereo. Insurance said act of God, no coverage. So, my pins are on good surge protectors , but when I'm done I still unplug.

#16 2 years ago

When I was a kid my dad would walk around the house yelling, "EVERY GODDAMN LIGHT IN THE HOUSE ON!!!!" and he'd turn them all off. Often we'd be left sitting around in the dark. It's funny now.

No way I'd leave my games on over night. Turn 'em off when you're done. lol

#17 2 years ago

All of them get turned on Friday evening and all but one gets turned off on Sunday afternoon. They like the warmth.

8540B9C4-935D-49D4-B31A-C00C12FB673E (resized).jpeg8540B9C4-935D-49D4-B31A-C00C12FB673E (resized).jpeg
    #18 2 years ago
    Quoted from canea:

When I was a kid my dad would walk around the house yelling, "EVERY GODDAMN LIGHT IN THE HOUSE ON!!!!" and he'd turn them all off. Often we'd be left sitting around in the dark. It's funny now.
    No way I'd leave my games on over night. Turn 'em off when you're done. lol

My dad used to call me the “electric freak”. Think he was right. Don’t really care about lights being left on. My back porch light has been on for over 11 years.

#19 2 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

All of them get turned on Friday evening and all but one gets turned off on Sunday afternoon. They like the warmth.

Nice Abbys

#20 2 years ago

I have my machine plugged into a power strip with surge protection in it. I turn the machine off and turn the power strip off after I finish playing. I put the strip at the front behind the leg so it is easy to reach. If I get lightning or some other voltage problem of some kind, my machine will not be affected. I also turn off my subwoofer speaker that plugs into the same power strip.

Power Strip (resized).jpgPower Strip (resized).jpg
    #21 2 years ago
    Quoted from canea:

When I was a kid my dad would walk around the house yelling, "EVERY GODDAMN LIGHT IN THE HOUSE ON!!!!" and he'd turn them all off.

I got so tired of having to turn off lights left on at my house that I installed manual timer switches to replace wall switches that typically get left on by other residents at my house. You might have seen them at hotels in the bathroom on the heater, for instance. No more lights left on by accident, even if I am not home to turn them off.

#22 2 years ago
    Quoted from canea:

When I was a kid my dad would walk around the house yelling, "EVERY GODDAMN LIGHT IN THE HOUSE ON!!!!" and he'd turn them all off. Often we'd be left sitting around in the dark.

I do that too, but it's not me leaving the lights on. I just leave the machines on, but I'm getting better. I turned them off last night as soon as I finished!!

#23 2 years ago

I'll leave one on sometimes for an hour or so just so I can hear the attract mode music and speech while I'm watching TV.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-leave-the-power-on-for-extended-periods?hl=iamdrunker and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.