(Topic ID: 96253)

Do you keep a pin even if you don't play it?

By NJGecko

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Big Worm.jpg
Dedicared 1-Owner Arcades 063.jpg
wee collector t.jpg
There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 9 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

It is my favorite right now-Pam is going nowhere.

It looks like Gladiators is still in the house as well. That is if your house is still standing. Black and Decker FTW!

#52 9 years ago

Whoa.....B_R, whats up with all the video games in that pic? When did those make it into the grg? They are taking up valuable pin swapping space. lol, just messin with ya.

#53 9 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

nah, i sell them. I wish everyone who wasn't playing games would do the same but that's up to them...

Great idea! Think if everyone else did the same. There could be 2x or 3x the number of pins on the market. Availability would go up, cost would go down. Could be a win win for everyone!

#54 9 years ago

I would keep them all if I had the room.

#55 9 years ago

With running the route all of the time I rarely get to play pin's in my collection. I'll play a game on the street sometimes just to make sure there playing well without issues. I have sold a few out of my collection, but it's hard for me to part with some of my best titles that I have had for well over ten years. Also I keep buying and say I must stop, but I can't help myself.

#56 9 years ago

I don't play my I500 much lately but its never going anywhere. I didn't pay much for it and the theme and sounds mean a lot to me.

I also have Firepower that will always be in my collection, regardless of how much (or not) I play it. Childhood memories!

#57 9 years ago

That is everyone one of mine right now during the summer. I'm a hoarder

#58 9 years ago

#59 9 years ago

I just re-read this thread.
The OP has a Tron but doesn't play it. I sold my Barb Wire and bought a Tron LE. It has been a great machine, but I have considered selling it. Big Hurt get's no love by anyone but me. I have fond memories of Barb Wire. Pinmister is happy to have it. Gladiators shaker motor hasn't done any structural damage to his house yet as it did to mine.
Some people buy multiple examples of the same games (ooops, that was another thread). B_R still has an anchor tied to the leg of his HS2. I like drinking Jack and Coke. We pass these machines around like we did with girls in Jr High. I'm proud to be part of this tribe. Happy 4th of July!!!!!!!

#60 9 years ago

I think if you have a large collection, you can get away with having games you don't play. In a smaller collection though, you can't really do that without really limiting your play choices. I wouldn't keep anything that I didn't still play, got rid of Stargate even though I'd had it forever, just wasn't playing it anymore because I'd basically mastered the game.

#61 9 years ago

I rarely play my nitro ground shaker but my buddy loves it even though I have ac/dc and Metallica. I won't get rid of it cause I like the art work and it's simple but retro.

My other buddy only plays checkpoint when he comes over. I own a older Porsche so can't let it go. Play it once in awhile. It's nice to back to games that you have not played in awhile.
I,ve never sold a game.

#62 9 years ago
Quoted from NJGecko:

So I've been on the fence about my Tron. It was my first NIB. And I love it. But I also realized the other day that I just don't play it. I love when I play it...it's a fantastic game, but I will always walk over to my other games before Tron. I kind of feel like I'm neglecting it.
So if you have a game that maybe has some sentimental value to you but is never touched...do you play it, or do you get rid of it?
Tron is a $5k+ dust collector for me

When you have a large collection, this is normal. I think you should keep it. I don't play Diner or X-Men a lot unless people are over, and every time I play them again, I remember why I never sell them.

Marc

#63 9 years ago

Elvis...Least played and would be the last to leave if I ever liquidate.
I played my first E to the tune of 1k plays in about 2 years - then upgraded to HUO a year ago and have played maybe 20 games lol. Still love it just know it too well so new pins get more play.

#64 9 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

If you have a large collection you can get away with having games you don't play. In a smaller collection you can't do that without really limiting your play choices.

Quoted from MJW:

I rarely play my nitro ground shaker and I won't get rid of it cause I like the art work and it's simple but retro. It's nice to go back to games that you have not played in awhile. I've never sold a game.

Interesting that the above posters each have 7 pins. Taylor thinks that is a small collection and likes to change out games, while MJW hangs on to games because he likes going back and playing the older ones.

#65 9 years ago

When we started the pinball hobby, hub and I went to a humongous gameroom and made a list of all the ones we like to have one day. We have bought them over 10 years time and sold the ones which became good looking lamp shades. We would not have kept them if I had enough space, or lots of money to spare. We had to sell our entire collection to invest into building a house 6 years ago, as I needed a house with disability features, but we bought the ones we loved back meanwhile.

We will move one day and will have a large gameroom. We do not intend to fill it up, just for the sake of it. We only want games we play often or every now and then. Luckily, we do have the same taste in pinballs, so there is no discussion in buying them either. We might both rank them differently, but that's about it. I have known pinball couples with totally different tastes in pinballs, which lead to hefty discussions, I am very grateful we are spared from that, lol!

#66 9 years ago

Nope, it gets turned into more pinball reserve.

#67 9 years ago

I turn my collection over from games I don't care for, to games I want to keep. Once I decide I don't want to keep a game forever, it's gone.

#68 9 years ago

It seems if you have a small collection you need to move on. If you have a midsize collection, 6+ or larger, you can have one that just sits and it will be no problem.

Some people seem to have one that sits because they still like it more than what it is worth in the open market.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#69 9 years ago

If I find a game isn't getting any love in my collection, I sell it and replace with something else. I am getting closer and closer to having a lineup of keepers though, as it is harder and harder for me to single out the next game I want to let go. Right now, I don't really have a game I want to turn over, so I've slowly found what I love and build my collection into just those titles.

#70 9 years ago
Quoted from The_Director:

I am getting closer and closer to having a lineup of keepers though

Funniest line of the day!

Bump this in a year and see what it looks like then.

#71 9 years ago

I had a HUO CV and as much as I wanted to keep it, I never played the damn thing. And it was a beauty. Ended up making $1K off of it but lost $1.5K on X-Men so it's all good.

#72 9 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Isn't keeping stuff you do not use hoarding?

Are you implying there's something wrong with that?

#73 9 years ago

I have games that I don't play a lot but the people that come over enjoy them and that to me is half the fun of having all the pins. I love to see the smile on the nieces and nephews faces when they come over.

#74 9 years ago
Quoted from OldHarley:

I have games that I don't play a lot but the people that come over enjoy them and that to me is half the fun of having all the pins.

Yup. Couldn't agree more. We had approximately 150 people over to the house last year playing the pins. What they enjoy is definitely a factor in what I keep.

I just wish I had a lot more space. I have had to sell a few pins that I would have liked very much to keep. If I had the room, I would put together a much more diverse collection.

#75 9 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

Are you implying there's something wrong with that?

Hoarding is a mental disorder, so i would say yes.

#76 9 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

God Barb Wire was frikkin horrendous.

i hear you can get hepatitis c just from looking at it the wrong way

#77 9 years ago

Dang, I love hoarding pinballs.

#78 9 years ago
Quoted from OldHarley:

Dang, I love hoarding pinballs.

Hey, if you gotz to hoard something right?

#79 9 years ago

That TV show gives hoarding such a bad name. Not every hoarder keeps bags of used cat litter lying around.

#80 9 years ago

"I have WAAAAAAAY too many pinball machines!"....said no collector, EVER.

#81 9 years ago

That is so true.. If we all had the money and space we would have more pins.. I know I still have more pins I like that I don't have. I may not play all of them alot but do manage to play them some..

#82 9 years ago

I have a 1 year rule on everything I own, music gear, games, pinball machines, etc. If it does not get touched for 1 year, it goes.

#83 9 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

I have a 1 year rule on everything I own, music gear, games, pinball machines, etc.
If it does not get touched for 1 year, it goes.

Is this the reason you've been married four times?

#84 9 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

I have a 1 year rule on everything I own, music gear, games, pinball machines, etc. If it does not get touched for 1 year, it goes.

I wish I could say that. I get to attached to things.

#85 9 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

Is this the reason you've been married four times?

Ha! That should be written into a marriage license.

#86 9 years ago
Quoted from fiberdude120:

I wish I could say that. I get to attached to things.

I hate looking at stuff that I haven't used. It just nags me by reminding me that I don't have the time to do everything I want and that I have to pick and choose.

#87 9 years ago

Buy count = 30.

Sell count = 0.

So, yes, I keep the ones I don't play.

Might need to change that policy, though.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 149.00
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Onekama, MI
$ 18.95
$ 9.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 64.99
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-keep-a-pin-even-if-you-dont-play-it/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.