(Topic ID: 201603)

Do you Install the Greg Kmiec Red Post During a Playfield Swap?

By tomdrum

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by mbaumle
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

mental.gif
DSCN0209 (resized).JPG

#1 2 years ago

I've shopped a bunch of early Bally SS games and I'm now doing a NOS playfield swap in a Xenon. Always noticed the oddball solid red post hidden post. Wondering how many keep it in it's original position during a PF swap. I am.

DSCN0209 (resized).JPG

#2 2 years ago

Always

#3 2 years ago

Of course! The following link should get you to the Greg Kmiec Red Post web page. That's my Breakshot.

http://www.jeff-z.com/pinball/redpost/redpost.html

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from Steve_in_Escalon:

Of course! The following link should get you to the Greg Kmiec Red Post web page. That's my Breakshot.

Read his info. My motivation to make mine as original. I even researched the correct light cover sleeves for this game. It has blue and red as delivered.

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from Steve_in_Escalon:

Huh, that's interesting.

Had I come across one of those before now, I would have assumed an operator or previous owner swapped it in, since I've seen all sorts of oddball posts used on games before that were obviously incorrect.

Honestly, I'm a little torn about putting in a correct matching post and leaving something the designer snuck into the game that was obviously mismatched. But, now that I know the history behind it, it's a neat little thing to have in the game.

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Huh, that's interesting.
Had I come across one of those before now, I would have assumed an operator or previous owner swapped it in, since I've seen all sorts of oddball posts used on games before that were obviously incorrect.
Honestly, I'm a little torn about putting in a correct matching post and leaving something the designer snuck into the game that was obviously mismatched. But, now that I know the history behind it, it's a neat little thing to have in the game.

I am actually surprised you did not know about this. I expected you to be an early "always" poster.

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

I am actually surprised you did not know about this. I expected you to be an early "always" poster.

Heh, if I actually owned some classic Bally games, I probably would have stumbled upon it sooner or later while researching. Classic Bally games just don't pop up too often out in the wild around here. Outside of shows, I basically don't usually any Bally games for sale. This area tends to be mostly Gottlieb, with some classic Sterns, and some classic Williams.

#8 2 years ago

I toss them and color match, but then again I was told the story was something about a bet to use up old posts that then evolved into a 'thing'

I would rather have color matched as it looks better.

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I toss them and color match, but then again I was told the story was something about a bet to use up old posts that then evolved into a 'thing'
I would rather have color matched as it looks better.

mental.gif

#10 2 years ago

Ah, the old "Red Post" story again. If you look at the below link to a copy of the playfield page from the Wizard! manual, you will see that the red post in question (C) calls for "Dead Rubber". Rubber that is not as bouncy as standard rubber.

Dead rubber was used on Bally bingo playfields on 4 posts at the center of the playfield that make the game too easy to win on. These four posts are RED. The dead rubber posts are always red on Bally bingos. The rest of the game uses yellow posts that are for standard 5/16 inch rubber.

Wizard! was designed to have dead rubber on that post. Look at the chart. It is part of the game design. You will see red posts on other Bally games. The manuals do not always call for dead rubber on all of them. But in the case of Wizard! it does.

I think this may be where stories of Greg's placement of other red posts may have got it's start.

Every time I bring this up people get all bent out of shape and tell me I don't know what I am talking about. Please look at the chart, and other Bally games with red posts and decide on your own. Us bingo guys know what the "Red Post" represents.

If you want your Wizard! to play as it was designed, buy some dead rubber from Marco and put one on the Red Post.

http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/2803/Wizard.pdf

#11 2 years ago

Here's a list of other Bally games that use dead rubber that I posted on RGP back in 2013. The "grey" refers to the original color of Bally dead rubber. The ones sold by Marco and Pinball Resource are white.

"Looking through the Bally playfield charts I found 6 other games that
have at least one dead rubber specified. There may be others that I
missed. Some have a red post and some do not. Some are listed as "Dead
Rubber". Some are listed as "Grey" and some are listed only by the
catalog number R243-2. The catalog number for standard white 5/16"
rubber is R-243. Here is a list of the games I found and the number of
dead rings specified.
On Beam-1, Ballyhoo-5, Big Valley-2, El Toro-5, Knockout-2, and Harlem
Globetrotters-2. If you have any of these games you should use dead
rings where they are supposed to be in order for the game to play as
designed."

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from DennisDodel:

Ah, the old "Red Post" story again. If you look at the below link to a copy of the playfield page from the Wizard! manual, you will see that the red post in question (C) calls for "Dead Rubber". Rubber that is not as bouncy as standard rubber.
Dead rubber was used on Bally bingo playfields on 4 posts at the center of the playfield that make the game too easy to win on. These four posts are RED. The dead rubber posts are always red on Bally bingos. The rest of the game uses yellow posts that are for standard 5/16 inch rubber.
Wizard! was designed to have dead rubber on that post. Look at the chart. It is part of the game design. You will see red posts on other Bally games. The manuals do not always call for dead rubber on all of them. But in the case of Wizard! it does.
I think this may be where stories of Greg's placement of other red posts may have got it's start.
Every time I bring this up people get all bent out of shape and tell me I don't know what I am talking about. Please look at the chart, and other Bally games with red posts and decide on your own. Us bingo guys know what the "Red Post" represents.
If you want your Wizard! to play as it was designed, buy some dead rubber from Marco and put one on the Red Post.
http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/2803/Wizard.pdf

I haven't owned any Bally EM's. But on all the Bally SS games I've had the red post is hidden somewhere under a playfield plastic, usually towards the top.

#13 2 years ago

where do I buy "dead rubber"

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

The rubber cemetery.

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Marco.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
€ 3.95
Flipper Parts
Multigame
$ 9.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 90.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Naperville, IL

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside