(Topic ID: 90552)

Do you include manual with pinball sale?

By badbilly27

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 70 posts
  • 62 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by pmWolf
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you include the manual if you have it in your pinball machine sale or save it?”

• Include with machine sale 178 votes
      96%
    • I collect them do not include 6 votes
      3%
    • I keep to sell later 2 votes
      1%

(186 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 9 years ago

I sold a game recently and gave the buyer the manual with it (Williams). He commented that it was rare that someone actually gave the manual with the game being sold. Come to think of it, I've witnessed the same. I've actually bought games from people in the past who had it sitting on the counter, asked for it, and they said not for sale with game - that is for another one they have coming in or borrowed from a friend.

My perspective, it should be part of the game sale if you have it. Thousand plus games being sold and you really hold back on the manual to post for sale for $15-$30 later? Interested in thoughts.

#2 9 years ago

If I had the manual it was included.

On all of my current games I have the manual and if any were sold I would include that as well as any spare parts I might have for that game.

#3 9 years ago

Most of the older games I buy come without one and I have to buy one.
    When I sell the game I include it, the only game I ever sold without one was Monster Bash because I could never find one.
    I have gotten the same comment from a few buyers when I pull the manual(s) out of my file and hand it to them.

#4 9 years ago

98% of the original manuals I sell at show's are worth nothing more then $10 these days. People wont pay over that because they always say they will just download it off the internet. Now granted there are a few exceptions depending on the game it goes too. I ALWAYS include it with the game if I have one for it, it only seems right and its the most strangest thing I've ever found inside of a game too. LOL.

John P. Dayhuff
    Battle Creek, Mi.
    269-979-3836

#6 9 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

People wont pay over that because they always say they will just download it off the internet.

Safe to say this is what changed that game. It should always have been included though. But clearly some D@!$s sold them separately.
    But today, worst case it takes 2 minutes to just print one out.

#7 9 years ago
    Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Safe to say this is what changed that game. It should always have been included though. But clearly some D@!$s sold them separately.
    But today, worst case it takes 2 minutes to just print one out.

I always try to have an original in there.

#8 9 years ago

Always included if it came with one, or I bought one.

#9 9 years ago

If I have it I include it with the sale. Along with any other little extras I have with the game.

#10 9 years ago

If I have it I included it.

#11 9 years ago

Include the manual! If you have one and you don't include it with the sale then you're a cheap ass and a poor seller IMHO. Come on now, what are you doing? Trying to squeeze an extra $10 out of a sale? Poor form.

If you don't have it then that's different, no need to try and buy one just for the sale, buyer can do that.

#12 9 years ago

Yes. Always.

What in the world would a seller need to keep it for...?

#13 9 years ago

I just download them! and WHEN I do sell one the manual goes with it

#14 9 years ago

I always include a manual. Original if I can find one.

#15 9 years ago

If I have one, I include it.

If I can print one for free at work, I include it.

If neither of the above applies, I include the CD-ROM of the manual + service bulletins.

#16 9 years ago

total dick move to not include it if it's in hand.

#18 9 years ago

If I have it, it goes with the game. I most likely will not have the same game twice.

#19 9 years ago

randomly mentions Gottlieb

#20 9 years ago

Always include if I have it. Would be strange to hoard manuals for games you no longer have.

#21 9 years ago

Only had one person tell me the manuals not included. I always pass it on. Seriously we're talking about a twenty dollar item.

#22 9 years ago

If you have it it should be included...common courtesy

#23 9 years ago

I guess im one of the bad guys here. If I have a spare, sure its included, but i keep the first one of each game that i come across. However, Im a little different than most since I sell alot of machines. I often end up getting that same games and since i dont know if the next one comes with one, i keep the first. Its always handy to use the schematics or parts ID pages when going through the machine. Downloads are fine if an original is not available, but i prefer an original.

For those that think saving a 20.00 manual on a sale is bad, let me just say that i had 4 Cueball wizardsin the pasy year and had one manual, had i sold the manual with each game, i would have had to buy 3 more. With several operators that i deal with, they bought multiple of the same game so i end up getting multiples of the same title. Usually not at the same time either. Now if i have one already on file, i have no problem and usually throw it in the cabinet without even being asked.

#24 9 years ago

No reason to keep it. Manual should be included.

#25 9 years ago

If you want to keep the manual then I think you should make your own copy keep the original with the game it belongs to. Whenever possible a manual should never leave a game.

It just feels wrong. Like separating a child from it's mother

I love how some manuals have notes and some interesting history about the game.

#26 9 years ago

I agree....I always include the manual.

#27 9 years ago

How could you not include the manual. I guess there may be exceptions if selling a rare game...but then your most likely getting a pretty penny. I have bought a game without one and wound up downloading it. Hassle at best.

#28 9 years ago

When I bought my TZ they had printed the manual from a copy online and even put it in a 3-ring binder for me. I thought that was nice.

#29 9 years ago

What is this "sell game" you speak of?

#30 9 years ago

WTF question is this? Of course, if I have it, IT IS included in the sale.

#31 9 years ago

I always include the manual with a sale, and they are always hard copies not downloads. I am one that would prefer to look at the actual manual rather than a computer download. Schematics also go with the sale if I have them.

#32 9 years ago

I will when (if) we sell a pin.

#33 9 years ago

yes to the manual, and any mods I've put in. The latter may be reflected in a slight price increase, but generally I sell the machine for what I paid for it. If I want to spend money putting in mods, my choice, but I never removed them to re-sell at a later date.

#34 9 years ago
    Quoted from badbilly27:

I sold a game recently and gave the buyer the manual with it (Williams). He commented that it was rare that someone actually gave the manual with the game being sold. Come to think of it, I've witnessed the same. I've actually bought games from people in the past who had it sitting on the counter, asked for it, and they said not for sale with game - that is for another one they have coming in or borrowed from a friend.
    My perspective, it should be part of the game sale if you have it. Thousand plus games being sold and you really hold back on the manual to post for sale for $15-$30 later? Interested in thoughts.

There should be another option in the poll: WTF? Seriously?

#35 9 years ago

Yes, if I got one with the game when I bought it then it goes when I sell it.

#36 9 years ago

Interesting that Stern now does not include the manual when you buy a NEW pro model machine. Only for LE or Premium. So that puts them in the No camp as well.

#37 9 years ago

Yup unless you're an asshat.

#38 9 years ago
    Quoted from dendoc:

Interesting that Stern now does not include the manual when you buy a NEW pro model machine. Only for LE or Premium. So that puts them in the No camp as well.

Wow. If true, that is some crap. Slowly taking away everything you used to get for anything pre-LE days and making you pay extra for it now. Such a load of crap.

#39 9 years ago

only Wankers keep them!

#40 9 years ago

It's like selling a car and keeping the owners manual.

The factory shipped the game with the manuals.

The manuals belong with the machine.

#41 9 years ago

If you have a manual, it goes with the game. I even give a home printed manual if I don't have the original.

#42 9 years ago

I give the manual & schematics if I have them, along with notes I've made of repairs and changes to the game. Also, any spare parts specifically for that game go too.

#43 9 years ago
    Quoted from ninjadoug:

If you have a manual, it goes with the game. I even give a home printed manual if I don't have the original.

You and Vid have stated it best. Unlike the person that keeps the manual (because that way he has one when he gets the game again... - - ...when, of course, he could walk his lazy ass down to the copier and print one out to keep...or give with the game at the very least!

#44 9 years ago

Manual goes with the game.

But I do keep the pinballs and bulbs. In fact, I pull them all out of the game before I sell it

#45 9 years ago

to the 4 people that don't? you are lame. that is all

#46 9 years ago

I have had to buy the manual for three of the five games I've bought. I like to have the original manual, and I always take the staples out and put the manual in a 3-ring binder. This makes it much easier to use when trying to fix something.

If I ever sell a game (I fear the day is coming), I will include the manual.

#47 9 years ago

Seems like a real dick move not to sell it with the machine. What's next...shooter rod and sling plastics not included?

#48 9 years ago
    Quoted from badbilly27:

Thousand plus games being sold and you really hold back on the manual to post for sale for $15-$30 later? Interested in thoughts.

sadly, i have found that the mentality of many pinball sellers (including those at pinside) is exactly that... "oh you want the manual? that'll be another 20 bucks..."...

"cheap" isn't a strong enough adjective for many in the pinball hobby... whereas there are people who will gladly GIVE people parts from their stashes if needed....

we need more of the latter, and less of the former...

#49 9 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

sadly, i have found that the mentality of many pinball sellers (including those at pinside) is exactly that... "oh you want the manual? that'll be another 20 bucks..."...

I think that is because for some, this is a business/profession rather than a hobby. I'm not saying that this an excuse, just a reason. Personally, I feel that is bad business.

#50 9 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

"cheap" isn't a strong enough adjective for many in the pinball hobby... whereas there are people who will gladly GIVE people parts from their stashes if needed....
    we need more of the latter, and less of the former...

On the rare occasion I sell a game, anything I have for it goes with the game.

Good examples:

Sold my RS. Included with the game were 2 NOS plastic ramps. (which I could have easily held onto and sold)

Sold my JM: Included was a NOS complete wired ramp set, replacement nuts for the hand mechs, as well as the X/Y screw drives. (None of which were easy to find back then either)

There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-include-manual-with-pinball-sale and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.