Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by dasvis
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do You "Horde" Backup Parts?”

• Yes, I buy certain back up parts because certain things break more than others. 11 votes
      31%
    • Yes, I buy all types of spare parts for a rainy day. 16 votes
      46%
    • No, I buy parts as things break from marco, pinball life, etc... 8 votes
      23%
    • No, I buy new Sterns or other N.I.B. games and have my local tech fix things. 0 votes

(35 votes)

#1 6 years ago

Do You "Horde" Backup Parts?

As I write this I have 5 different variations of pop bumper yokes on my desk.
    As a collector/operator/part-time tech I run into a variety of repairs each year.
    Although Pinball Life and Marco have been in business 10+ years (congrats to both),
    and parts are typically readily available, it's best to have it truly readily available in my eyes.
    I've got so many fuses, flipper bats, posts, rings, LEDs, coil sleeves, etc... .. .
    It's taken a while to collect and it's gradually feeling like I have what I need to handle problems on the fly.

Explain your scenario and any advice that you may have.

The only things that I don't have in stock right now are back up DMDs, MPUs or Power-driver boards.

P.S...
    The word horde is stupid, I would call it collecting and preparing for future problems.

#2 6 years ago

Any common wear items I try to have plenty on hand. A game out of order waiting for parts doesn't make any money.

LTG : )

#3 6 years ago

If they're still made I only keep common one on hand. I do horde old displays though.

#4 6 years ago

i try to buy xtra parts for the machines i own that usually cannot be found.....xtra cannon for Black Rose.......complete topside components for Flintstones.......just about anything for Atari Superman..........etc

#5 6 years ago

Leg levelers, bolts, locks (key all mine the same) i keep a big hoarde. Electronics parts i dont buy 1, i buy 25-50. (Radio shack going out of business 80% off parts bin i just bought them out pretty much). Other parts are usually on an as needed basis but i save anything salvagable

#6 6 years ago

Like a squirrel with his nuts.

#7 6 years ago

I stock a lot of common new parts--flipper parts, sleeves, rubbers, fuses, pop bumper parts, locks, leg levelers, balls, leg/cabinet bolts, fuse holders, power cords, etc. I don't tend to collect a lot of game-specific stuff unless I have a restoration in the queue, or if it's for one of the few titles I'd like to own in the near future that I think I'll have a good chance obtaining for a reasonable price.

I also carry a good supply of electronic components for board repairs, and plenty of boards and displays for repairs or project games (when I find games with missing boardsets). If I can get my hands on cheap aftermarket boards (or find them in project games), I like to use those as test boards for a sanity check or to work on other areas of a game while I'm tinkering with the boards or waiting on components.

People who regularly restore and repair games tend to have a decent stock of parts on hand. Plus, buying in bulk is usually cheaper--if you intend to use those parts. Obviously, if you buy and don't use them, you're not really saving yourself anything.

If you've ever seen some of cfh's photos, you can see a wall of parts bins in the background of his game photos that I'm always impressed with:

https://www.facebook.com/vfwpinball

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from amkoepfer:

Leg levelers, bolts, locks (key all mine the same) i keep a big hoarde. Electronics parts i dont buy 1, i buy 25-50. (Radio shack going out of business 80% off parts bin i just bought them out pretty much). Other parts are usually on an as needed basis but i save anything salvagable

Good call, I just bought 100s of fuses from local Radio Shacks.
    I had used to get a kick out of going to them to get fuses and misc parts at a time (nostalgia).
    Now that they are adios, I'm preparing for years of future fuse and solder needs.

#9 6 years ago

80 percent off, my last purchase was over a hundred

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from amkoepfer:

80 percent off, my last purchase was over a hundred

They consolidated 2 stores here and from what I could tell,
    the one store they pulled inventory basically never eeeever sold any fuses hahahaha!

#11 6 years ago

Yup. I absolutely am guilty of this.

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from HighProtein:

They consolidated 2 stores here and from what I could tell,
    the one store they pulled inventory basically never eeeever sold any fuses hahahaha!

Nice! Im going back monday to buy the rest of whatever they have as far as fuses, resistors, transistors, and diodes. Unfortunately they were out of 1n4004s

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from pintechev:

Yup. I absolutely am guilty of this.

I spoke of why I bought all of this stuff and they said Oh Yeah a group came and cleared out
    some stores like me in South Florida, same groups of parts...
    Most likely a fellow Pinsider, I salute them!

#14 6 years ago

I always have this fear that when I need the part down the road that I won't be able to get it. So, I pick up parts. When I sell the machines, I tend to include the parts. I am sure I could charge more, but the fun of the hobby (to me) is the preservation aspect.

#15 6 years ago

I buy parts machines, populated backbones, etc. Whatever comes up. I tend to do a lot of EM's and SS pin restores. Having old cloth covered & plastic wiring spares, switch stacks, and such comes in really handy.
    Ever try to find small lengths of correctly striped 20 & 22 gauge wiring? - especially the cloth type.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-horde-backup-parts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.