Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 36 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by TKDalumni
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).png
    20151031_202856_(resized).jpg
    20151031_183623_(resized).jpg
    20151031_181101_(resized).jpg
    IMAG3930.jpg
    IMAG3929.jpg

#1 8 years ago

I'm fairly new in the hobby but I find myself trying to expose more and more people to it. Today my wife and kids wanted to go shopping (big surprise), so I dropped them of and found a nearby arcade to kill some time. Tons of redemption games (basically all life size apps) and 4 pins: potc, TSPP, lotr, and transformers. I grab some tokens and head over to play. Only 1 token...score! Games played decent and I was the only one playing there for a while.
    Eventually I could over hear a dad trying to convince his kids to try them (fist full of tickets) and immediately that caught my attention. It was about time for me to leave so I encouraged them to play the rest of my free credits on a couple of the machines and gave them the rest of my tokens, with the only caveat being they HAD to play pinball with them.
    They did end up playing and were appreciative of the gesture. I felt like maybe next time they would play pinball a bit when they come back.
    I also had my machines available to play on Halloween for all the trick-or-treaters to play and even heckled a few older kids on wether they wanted candy or to play pinball...and they chose pinball!
    Not looking for an attaboy but just sharing a few things I've done to try and promote pinball. Could help..maybe nothing but feels good to do it regardless. What have you guys done or doing to help promote?

#2 8 years ago

I have started putting some of my games at home on coin play and offer up free drinks. That really gets them hooked.

#3 8 years ago

I was wearing my green TPF hat the other day when we went to Trader Joe's for some stuff... the bagger was all like "Texas Pinball Festival, where's that!? I love pinball!"

I'm like...

"Bro, how can you love pinball that much and not know it's 15 miles north of where you're standing?"

#4 8 years ago

Wearing pinball gear could def strum of some convo.

#5 8 years ago

I do. Every time I go out to do a pinball repair, I let the owner know of all the places to play pinball around Houston, including the Houston Arcade Expo in November and TPF in March. I try to introduce as many new owners to other collectors around Houston as well.

#6 8 years ago

Very good topic by the way!

#7 8 years ago

I put a game at work in the break room. All profits benifit the united way.
    I've already had multiple people approach me and ask about getting their first game. None of them want to spend much, but it's good to rekindle their past love for playing pinball.

#8 8 years ago

www.madisonpinball.com

I try my darndest to promote pinball. 21 games now on route. 3 monthly tournaments. Hosting WI SCS. Largest charity event each year in the state. Invite randoms strangers over to play on a regular basis. I love all things pinball and try to promote it as much as I can.

I honestly am not sure why or how it all happened but in a few short years it has pretty much taken over life. I know I am happy when playing pinball or teaching someone about a game or working on pinball, but the best is seeing someone genuinely happy or that light bulb click due to pinball!

#9 8 years ago

I'm trying. Started a monthly tournament at a local barcade. Our first one was a couple weeks ago and 14 of the 18 players had never played competitive pinball before. Pretty encouraging. Hopefully it becomes a mainstay in the area.

#10 8 years ago

I run charity tournaments and an IFPA tournament as well as a league. League and the charity tournaments have been going on about 4 years and the IFPA tournament for three years. I have also helped to run tournaments at a local brewery with BOO32 and the two of us took tables to that as well as a local gallery for an art show. The brewery events were great as the local pinball community really came together to pull off a smooth event.

I started the Instagram account Richmondpinball to promote our league but it became more of a personal account that is mostly filled with my pinball life. Recently Tommy Skinner and myself started a podcast named This Flippin Podcast.

Wish I could do more but my time gets eaten up by other pinball related things I do like my replacement rail business. If I could I'd start a public location but the financial risk is not something I want to get into.

#11 8 years ago

Awesome job, great website with great info on current tournaments! Keep up the great job, next time in Madison will definitely check these locations out.

Just met a guy from the Maryland area at Replay and he was checking Pinballs on location around Florida. It's amazing how much exposure to new players location pinball can provide. It doesn't take long and your hooked and hungry for more.

#12 8 years ago

I usually try to leave a credit or two on location games after I've played them (if they're in good condition, no point giving away free games on machines that play like crap). Not sure how effective it is in getting non-pinheads to play- most probably don't even notice that there's a credit on it. Hopefully there's kids that walk up, hit the flashing button and realise they can play the game.

#13 8 years ago

To anyone that will listen.............Joey

#14 8 years ago

That's all great stuff! It's a shame how many people don't know how to even start a game or think their ball getting locked (lost) is a bad thing. Once they get it most have fun.

#15 8 years ago
    Quoted from TKDalumni:

That's all great stuff! It's a shame how many people don't know how to even start a game or think their ball getting locked (lost) is a bad thing. Once they get it most have fun.

At the couple barcades that are near me, 9 out of 10 people that approach the games, have no idea how to start them, no idea you can play multiplayer games, and no idea you get more than one ball per game. Oh and when they find out pinball is 50 cents and not free like the arcade games, they get pissed and walk away.

#16 8 years ago

I volunteer my time cleaning/repairing machines at the arcade near us, refusing to be paid even though offered. I have tried to organize tournaments, but that didn't go over. I'll try again when the pins are in more reliable shape. We have pinball parties at my house too.

#17 8 years ago

I talk about pinball constantly and love having people over to play. Friends have bought machines due to me and I have generated some great friendships over pinball in the last couple of years. It's a wonderful hobby with great people. I truly enjoy witnessing the instant nostalgia that people get when they walk into my arcade.

#18 8 years ago

I try to do all the media that is asked of me, with 3 kids 5yrs and under it is hard to explain to the wife.

I ran the Australian Pinball Expo last year with 2 friends and a bunch of volunteers, and I've just started hosting a yearly tournament for the competitive side of it.

I try to do what I can, and I suspect most people involved in the hobby do too.

#19 8 years ago

I talk to everyone about it. I have plenty of pics of my machines on my phone. Even if Stern or JJP has a new machine that I'm not buying, I still inform people about it. Always inviting people over to try out my games. I'm always asking people to join me at Silverball Museum. Since I'm a VIP member there, the first guest I bring gets to play for free and everyone else is 50% off.

I bought my first machine in December 2012. I thought it'd be the only machine I'd ever own. Now I'm up to 6.

Not sure about others, but my business is a bit on the stressful side. Nothing better than playing for an hour or 2 at night, to help the stress go away.

#20 8 years ago

I have a WOZ at my beach summer rental place set on free play to entice others into the "sport" though I could play it much more if it was at my home base in Virginia. I will add a Hobbit hopefully by next season.

#21 8 years ago

I have machines (mostly new) out on location in four places around town and...............

I've tried sidewalk pinball:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pop-up-pinball-sidewalk-pinball-in-huntsville-al

Started a pinball gang:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-pinball-gang-in-huntsville-al

And a winter league:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/winter-league-huntsville-al

Just trying to do my part.........

#22 8 years ago

Once or twice a year, I throw a pinball/arcade party at my home and invite mostly work folks and spouses, some of which who are into pinball and most who aren't. Part of the party is a short tournament with *good* prizes. I keep it all very accessible and noob friendly, and don't pressure anyone to play the games. So far one friend has took the plunge and Became a pin owner (JP) and another has almost convinced his wife to get one . So I'm making a small dent.

Jack

#23 8 years ago
    Quoted from Kingpin22:

Awesome job, great website with great info on current tournaments! Keep up the great job, next time in Madison will definitely check these locations out.

thanks. Please do stop on over and if you (or anyone else) is coming to town and wants to meet up for a few games then give me a heads up. I live close to the 2 eastside spots and am out their regularly already, so happy to stop over and play with fellow pinsiders!

#24 8 years ago

Here are a few youngsters at my house I was promoting to on Chritmas Day.

IMAG3929.jpgIMAG3929.jpg

IMAG3930.jpgIMAG3930.jpg

#25 8 years ago

I have about 15 guys from work coming over on the 9th of January for a pinball party.Many of them are a bit older gents than me and haven't seen or played pinball for many years.They are all pretty excited to come over.The word spread quick around work.I promote it all I can.

#26 8 years ago

I like to think I help to promote pinball.

April 2011 I placed a couple of pins at my first location, bringing back a place to play public pinball in a city of 250K that had zero pins in the wild. I now have a bunch of pins out, with 2 locations and a third coming. Big plans for later in the year as well.

That same year I started SAPP, our provincial pinball league, which just wrapped up our fourth season. Season 5 sees the appearance of a Women's division, and if things go well, a youth division later in the year.

I've done a crap load of media (TV, print, radio and online) in relation to pinball, which really boosts interest in a public that is mostly not even aware pinball still exists outside of the Pinball Arcade on their phones.

2016 will be an even bigger year for pinball!

#27 8 years ago

I help in a small way:

I had two pins on location
    I have a league that meets twice a month

I would say Atleast 5 guy that are in my league don't own pins but love it and do spread the word about it.

#28 8 years ago

one quarter at a time.....

#29 8 years ago

Run a league, monthly tournament, and do the podcast with Taylor. Started in November and continued in December but trying to have a monthly social gathering at my house with my league buddies but also friends from work and other activities that I participate in along with my girlfriends coworkers and friends. We called this months the Silverballs Party, had close to 30 people show up and the games were occupied the whole time. Best quote I got was one of her friends said he thought it was weird I was so into pinball not having played himself but after playing all night he gets it. That guy and his wife recently bought a new house and have a 1000 square foot basement empty. He asked me to help him buy a game by the end of the night and said I can store overflow games there....he doesn't know what he just got himself into.

#30 8 years ago

We've done a Halloween party for trick-or-treaters the last 2 years.

20151031_181101_(resized).jpg20151031_181101_(resized).jpg

20151031_183623_(resized).jpg20151031_183623_(resized).jpg

20151031_202856_(resized).jpg20151031_202856_(resized).jpg

#31 8 years ago

Man you guys are such good people. I try to drop the hint with anyone who will listen that I'm into pinball. Mostly so I can geek out with other nerds and find deals on games.

#32 8 years ago

I wonder if all the things have a lasting effect?? Hopefully it does! Making a couple bucks along the way is cool too

#33 8 years ago

I put my games on location for all to enjoy

image_(resized).pngimage_(resized).png

#34 8 years ago
    Quoted from TKDalumni:

I wonder if all the things have a lasting effect??

YES

#35 8 years ago
    Quoted from TKDalumni:

I wonder if all the things have a lasting effect?? Hopefully it does! Making a couple bucks along the way is cool too

addiction is generally swift.

#36 8 years ago

^^^^lol so true. Didn't take long for me!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-help-promote-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.