1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 105 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 49 days ago by V4Vendetta
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 23 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Screen Shot 2019-08-27 at 2.52.21 AM (resized).png
    mafell (resized).jpg
    Festool (resized).jpg
    20180919_200053 (resized).jpg
    maxrewqertsdefault (resized).jpg
    0637812-23 (resized).jpg
    Skilsaw-Super-Sawsquatch-4 (resized).jpg
    IMG_8296 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4066 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4065 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4027 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4025 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4024 (resized).JPG
    popeye_3 (resized).jpg
    1303E39C-71BD-4F46-9E8D-4C4B534312E4.jpeg
    beach_closed__jaws__1975__by_savinog-d6rfunq (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pin2d.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#17 1 year ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

This is not a discussion about a table saw vs. a band saw. This about those who have a table saw and like what you can do with it.
    I recently bought my first table saw. It is a pawn shop special. An older model portable Mikita. I am having a blast with it and find myself thinking that I should have bought one years ago. But when I bought it I was very ignorant about what to look for.
    What I do like about it is that it is lightweight and easy to move around in my work area. What I don't like is that it has no safety features---I have become aware of kickback. There is no blade guard and no riving blade and the fence leaves a lot to be desired. So, I am starting to look around for something newer and better. With "better" meaning up to date on safety features , a more accurate fence, an easier and more robust way to adjust blade angle, and some way to collect all of the saw dust that is generated.
    I like the safety features on the Saw Stop but it is up there on price.
    What kind of table saw do you have? What do you like about it? What do you not like about it?

My thoughts - I have a table saw and I think it is the most versatile saw a woodworker can have. You can make TONS of cuts with a table saw! Saw Stop is amazing but very pricey. I removed the safety guards on my table saw because I think it blocks the view and don't like not being able to see where the material (and my fingers) are during the cut. Here is what I do to ensure safety:

- safety glasses ALWAYS
    - visualize the cut before doing it
    - make sure the blade is sharp
    - make sure the material will slide smooth and tight to the fence
    - utilize the push sticks well

The other thing I use is the "GRR-RIPPER" from MicroJig, which eliminates kickback when used with a push stick. Link: https://www.microjig.com/products/grr-ripper

I bought the GRR-RIPPER after getting a softball sized bruise on my stomach from a violent kickback. (It was worth it though, the hutch looked great!)

Screen Shot 2018-09-16 at 7.03.31 PM (resized).png
    #48 1 year ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Never use a table saw that does not have a riving knife installed.
    If the stock touches the back of the blade, your hand (or face) is history.
    You can get an aftermarket riving knife for just about any quality saw - use it!

I made this mistake once. It makes you a quick learner.

#55 1 year ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Yeah, "I'm super careful" but I once had a 2x4 kick back instantly - it simply was gone from the shop.
    I looked at my fingers (yep, still there), I looked around the shop (wood was gone).
    Turns out it shot through the metal garage door and was laying out on the driveway.
    I went to the power tool store and bought a riving knife kit the next day. Guys at the store were incredulous "You have a table without a knife? Are you crazy????"
    "It came with a bunch of other guards but no knife" I said sheepishly....at least I gave them a story to tell.

Mine got caught and shot back and hit me in the stomach (I referred to it in an earlier post). I was stunned initially, then checked and it had just made a tiny hole that was bleeding, that was it. I put some bandages on it, told my wife that night that I couldn't believe it hadn't left more of a mark. The next morning I had a six inch bruise around the hole.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 208.87
    $ 44.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 39.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 62.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 219.00
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 9,999.99
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 16.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 8,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 199.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Lit Frames
    $ 26.95
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 9,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 750.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 12.99
    $ 11.95
    € 60.00
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    $ 49.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pixels Arcade Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pin2d.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside