1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 110 posts
  • 44 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 27 days ago by andre060
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 24 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

FE373423-159A-41DE-9818-3A556108E573 (resized).jpeg
    Screen Shot 2019-08-27 at 2.52.21 AM (resized).png
    mafell (resized).jpg
    Festool (resized).jpg
    20180919_200053 (resized).jpg
    maxrewqertsdefault (resized).jpg
    0637812-23 (resized).jpg
    Skilsaw-Super-Sawsquatch-4 (resized).jpg
    IMG_8296 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4066 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4065 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4027 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4025 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4024 (resized).JPG
    popeye_3 (resized).jpg
    1303E39C-71BD-4F46-9E8D-4C4B534312E4.jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cottonm4.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 1 year ago

This is not a discussion about a table saw vs. a band saw. This about those who have a table saw and like what you can do with it.

I recently bought my first table saw. It is a pawn shop special. An older model portable Mikita. I am having a blast with it and find myself thinking that I should have bought one years ago. But when I bought it I was very ignorant about what to look for.

What I do like about it is that it is lightweight and easy to move around in my work area. What I don't like is that it has no safety features---I have become aware of kickback. There is no blade guard and no riving blade and the fence leaves a lot to be desired. So, I am starting to look around for something newer and better. With "better" meaning up to date on safety features , a more accurate fence, an easier and more robust way to adjust blade angle, and some way to collect all of the saw dust that is generated.

I like the safety features on the Saw Stop but it is up there on price.

What kind of table saw do you have? What do you like about it? What do you not like about it?

#31 1 year ago

I'm not afraid of the blade. I use pusher sticks, etc. So I would probably remove the blade guard, but I do like that riving blade. I am going to be making myself a sled in a the next couple of weeks.

My work space is not huge so a portable saw it has to be. I like these rack and pinion fences I am learning about. And I want a more robust way of changing the blade angle than throwing a lever and having to fight the weight of the blade assembly that takes 3 hands to make square.

And a dust collection port.

#35 1 year ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

A healthy fear of the table saw blade isn't a bad thing to have.
    I have a Rigid jobsite table saw that I absolutely love.

I understand what you are saying, for sure.

I respect the blade and what it will do and what it can do. I'm just not afraid of it like I thought I would be.

#36 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jjsmooth:

Delta Unisaw with Biesemeyer fence. Portable table saws are an accident waiting to happen.
    Shop estate sales if u don't want to spend for new.

Why do you say portable saws are accidents waiting to happen? What's wrong with them, in your opinion?

#67 1 year ago

How about blades? Do you all sharpen your own blades or just go buy new ones? How do you tell if the blade is getting dull and needs replaced?

#73 1 year ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I take a bunch of blades in at once to be sharpened, cheaper than bringing in singles.
    The place can replace a teeth if one is fractured, and not loose the balance of the blade.
    Factory authorized for many high end brands, so they keep the exact geometry.

What are the good brands of saw blades? My saw had an Irwin on when I bought it and then I replaced it with some thing I got at Menards---what I bought was the only blade that would fit. Home Depot did not have anything that would fit.

Perhaps it would be better to say that Menards had a blade that matched the one that was already installed. I did not want to experiment with trying a different size blade.

#79 1 year ago

I have been watching table saw reviews on Youtube. The first thing I have to say about this youtube review stuff is that I wish censorship would be brought back. Some of these videos are painful to watch. In these days of youtube everybody wants to be a movie star or a cinematographer and most of these guys would not make it past the cutting room floor.

I did find this video that is pretty good about breaking down features of some portable table saws. They seem to be objective in their presentation.

https://www.toolboxbuzz.com/head-to-head/best-portable-jobsite-table-saw-head-to-head/

I also found the printed website review from the same outfit.

https://www.toolboxbuzz.com/head-to-head/best-portable-jobsite-table-saw-head-to-head/

I like the rack and pinion fences with the exception that they appear to locate to the right side of blade only. I'm left handed and sometimes I like having my fence on the left side of the blade.

I look at these saws and there are items I like on each one and would like to make a custom Frankenstein table saw order.

#89 1 year ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I leave the riving knife on when using the sled
    It's a homemade sled, so the blade cut it's own kerf, thus the knife rides right behind it perfectly.

I went looking for riving knife retrofit kits. That is not a cheap proposition and makes looking for a newer saw with some safety features a better value proposition. I'm starting to lean towards the Hitachi that was talked about in that video link.

#90 1 year ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

When the shop installed my Sawstop (included free, how could I say no?), the guy used two 123 Blocks to set the fence truly parallel to the blade, so I've done the same thing since then.
    He also had a 6 foot machinists straight edge to set all the table parts up.
    Guy was super efficient. He said that most cabinet shops were installing 2 or 3 of these and one shop installed 6; so he had lots of practice.
    He said most shops were using an aftermarket overhead dust collection accessory, but now I see the newer Sawstops have a re-designed dust collection over the blade - so topside dust collection might be better nowadays. [quoted image]

123 blocks. Never heard of them before. I learn all kinds of things pinside and google.

#94 1 year ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

The fence is gear driven on BOTH sides.

Why is both sides important? More accurate?

Your setup sounds interesting. If you wanted to put up a picture or two I would not complain.

11 months later
    #104 82 days ago

I have been keeping an eye on the market. Of the job site saws I have been looking at, I really liked what I had read about the Hatachi C10RJ.

A new company, Metabo, has replaced Hatachi so all the Hatachi branded saws are on sale. I see them for $350.00 online. But I bought one at Lowes today for $300.00.

I hope it works as advertised.

Screen Shot 2019-08-27 at 2.52.21 AM (resized).png

1 month later
    #106 27 days ago
    Quoted from V4Vendetta:

As per portable saws, dewalts can't be beat due to their superior fence system than any other saws. I've had bosch, rigid, hitachi, kobalt and returned them all or gave them away. they all have the same flaw, fence are extremely hard to keep square on every cut so always have to double check for square which is time consuming.

I like the Dewalt but I bought the Hitachi. Price was the final decision maker. The Hitachi was on sale for $300.00. I have had good luck with it, so far. The manual stated that everything should be adjusted at the factory. Just take it out of the box and start sawing away. Mine was a little bit different.

I had to check and set everything. Blade angle was off. 3 different fence settings needed squared up. I like it. It is giving good service. If I had a big garage I would have liked to have had a stationary table saw with a cast iron table. But for what I do the Hitachi will work fine.

I want to thank everyone who posted their thoughts and ideas. They were a lot of help.

#109 27 days ago
    Quoted from Trekie:

I have a 10" Jet with digital fence. I use 80t CMT blades positive rake Alt. Thinking of upgrading to Saw Stop for safety and dust collection.
    For sheet goods I have a Milwaukee Panel Saw. Planing on putting a laser line on it this winter.
    I am surprised the high end cabinet saws don't have a digital fence as an option.

Saw Stop has a job site saw offering. I would like a Saw Stop. But the SS job site saw is $1400.00.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 499.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 64.00
    $ 199.99
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 1,099.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 399.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Great American Pinball
    $ 26.95
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 60.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Vandelay Industries
    $ 41.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 58.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 1,099.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 19.00
    Boards
    Tilted Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cottonm4.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside