Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 110 posts
  • 44 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by andre060
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FE373423-159A-41DE-9818-3A556108E573 (resized).jpeg
    Screen Shot 2019-08-27 at 2.52.21 AM (resized).png
    mafell (resized).jpg
    Festool (resized).jpg
    20180919_200053 (resized).jpg
    maxrewqertsdefault (resized).jpg
    0637812-23 (resized).jpg
    Skilsaw-Super-Sawsquatch-4 (resized).jpg
    IMG_8296 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4066 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4065 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4027 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4025 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4024 (resized).JPG
    popeye_3 (resized).jpg
    1303E39C-71BD-4F46-9E8D-4C4B534312E4.jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Spinape.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 5 years ago

I’ve had many over the years. I find the guard and kickback fingers get in the way of your cuts. If you are tight to the fence, it won’t kick back. Just make sure you have a push stick handy for small cuts. I currently have a 10” Bosch

#37 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Why do you say portable saws are accidents waiting to happen? What's wrong with them, in your opinion?

True. I’ve been using a portable for 20 years with my job.. still have all my digits

#40 5 years ago

Saw stop is nice. Expensive, and you need to replace the sensor after it hits what It thinks is flesh

#46 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Never use a table saw that does not have a riving knife installed.
    If the stock touches the back of the blade, your hand (or face) is history.
    You can get an aftermarket riving knife for just about any quality saw - use it!

Agreed. I take the guard off but not the riving knife. They are actually a pain to get off in most models I’ve used... so like you said, don’t

#50 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Yeah, "I'm super careful" but I once had a 2x4 kick back instantly - it simply was gone from the shop.
    I looked at my fingers (yep, still there), I looked around the shop (wood was gone).
    Turns out it shot through the metal garage door and was laying out on the driveway.
    I went to the power tool store and bought a riving knife kit the next day. Guys at the store were incredulous "You have a table without a knife? Are you crazy????"
    "It came with a bunch of other guards but no knife" I said sheepishly....at least I gave them a story to tell.

Yes, kickback can be deadly. They demonstrated kickback at our school. Knocked a chunk out of the brick wall.

With that being said, a portable doesn’t have the same amperage as shop saws. Not as harsh if you do get kickback. I know you recommend the saw stop, but for hobby is it really worth dropping that kind of cash?

#53 5 years ago
    Quoted from Langless28:

You can jobsite sawstops and Bosch reflex has similar technology and that is a jobsite saw.
    I have pinball and woodworking as hobbies and seriously contemplating selling my sof to get a sawstop cabinet saw.

I had a look at the Bosch reflex. More than double the price of the standard model

As long as you have a table or flip top.. best is a second person. Ripping 4x8 sheets is no problem

#57 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:1.5 horsepower will drive a 2x4 right through you AND cut off you fingers as a bonus

It certainly can. I’m not saying the portable isn’t dangerous, however most of the time you can feel the resistance setting in giving you time to react.

If you have the space, the extra cash and the 220v ready to go and want it permanently set up, a shop saw is much nicer to cut on, no question.

#59 5 years ago

Ouch. Yes, anyone can get hurt on powe tools. Glad they fixed you up

#61 5 years ago

SF2 is slightly more gruesome

#78 5 years ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

I have the Mikita version of that saw. They are called "beam saws" but these days they are mostly used by landscapers & deck builders to cut 6x6 pressure treated timber when doing hardscapes. That saw is the only way to get perfect cuts every time when doing involved designs. Not something you use everyday but when you need one it is nice to have around but talk about a heavy saw to handle after a long day! And if you ever need to worry about a good sharp blade this is it --- don't try using one of these with a dull blade!

I have one too. Heavy saw for sure, and not one you use often. Table saw is a bit more user friendly. And like you said, I only bought it for 6x6 pyramid top post cutting

#85 5 years ago

What you are cutting plays a huge role too. Mdf or plywood isn’t likely to kick back on you as long as you are tight to the fence. Solid wood is a different story. As the lignin separates the wood can tighten up on the blade

#96 5 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

I can take a shot when I get home. What happens on the cheaper table saw fences is the non-gear driven side binds on whatever is guiding it. Some lock on both sides, but the really crappy ones only lock down on one side. This causes the fence to wobble a bit and not produce square cuts unless you check it each time you move it. Being gear driven on both sides via a single rod keeps the fence square to the blade (provided it was set correctly at the factory). The DeWalt has a simple rack and pinion setup, but seems to work well and hold up. My dad has used and abused one as a contractor for over a decade, and it has held up well.

Agreed. The dewalt is pretty good. The rack and pinion fence works well. As a contractor myself, I’ve gone through at least 4 portables. I’m currently using a Bosch and the fence is now out to lunch. I will likely get the dewalt next... stay far away from the rigid, I had it broken in about 6 months and in a bin

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Spinape.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-have-a-table-saw?tu=Spinape and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.