Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 31 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Rascal_H
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

I notice a little bit of angst in various comments across Pinside concerning "I Buy Pinball Machine" type Ads. I will admit to having one to help find my next projects and it worked,I pick up my third machine tomorrow.
    They are annoying, just wondered if its uncool to do it among the Members.

#2 7 years ago

No, they don't worry me at all.

#3 7 years ago

I'm fine with them. About a year ago the "I Buy Pinball Machine" ad people got into a fight on craigslist in my area. It was funny to watch. Lots of name calling in anonymous posts... I guess just like Pinside.

#4 7 years ago

I can't imagine they work at all. I think they are kind of goofy though.

#5 7 years ago

Some guy in one of the hundreds of comments I read said " I'm going to Flag every Post on Craigslist" concerning buying pinballs but I do not remember the reason.
    I can see how it could be a problem for some folks.

#6 7 years ago

Some people are just jealous that others put more effort into their search for games I guess. The ads don't bother me.

#7 7 years ago

I've got quite a few games from ad's. I stopped doing them once started putting games on location. Just not enough time to do both.

#8 7 years ago

I think the "I buy Pinball" ads are placed by buyers who hope to "lowball" someone who just wants to get rid of a pinball machine. Nothing wrong with it. More power to them.

#9 7 years ago

I will start by saying I do not hate anything. I may dislike or disagree with something/someone but I just don't harbor hate. As far as "buying" pinball ads - I am kinda meh but I respect the fact others are trying. Lets face it, we all want that gem in someones basement with low plays for a low price. How you going to get it if you don't put forth any effort?
    CL is a wild west and watching the trains run off the tracks is about the most enjoyment I receive from it.

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

I can't imagine they work at all. I think they are kind of goofy though.

They work in my area. Generated about a half dozen contacts in a couple months, one purchased.

#11 7 years ago

I ignore them. I just figure it's someone looking for the low ball deal to get something nice, nothing wrong with it. It's America, so it's all good.

Quoted from Silverballer:

Lets face it, we all want that gem in someones basement with low plays for a low price.

Yep.

#12 7 years ago

I would love to see the reaction on Pinside if someone posted an "I buy pinball machines" here.

#13 7 years ago

I buy pinball machines!

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

I buy pinball machines

Me too and I even pay CASH!

#15 7 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

I notice a little bit of angst in various comments across Pinside concerning "I Buy Pinball Machine" type Ads. I will admit to having one to help find my next projects and it worked,I pick up my third machine tomorrow.
    They are annoying, just wondered if its uncool to do it among the Members.

I don't hate them. What I hate is when is when I go on a site like kijiji and the same guy has posted the add 20 times filling up the que with his crap. Post one... that's fine. Post 10 and you're being a d=ck

#16 7 years ago

Perhaps the big players wish to eliminate small players by flagging their Ads. It might require a change in thinking from the Craigslist folks if there is indeed collusion.
    I do see multi-posting across a large area that appears to be from some who are trying to Hog the Market.

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

Me too and I even pay CASH!

Oh yeah, the "I pay cash" enticement never gets old every time you read it in one of those ads.

That said, I commend anyone who displays any level of proactivity even an online classified in finding that elusive bargain.

#18 7 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

Perhaps the big players wish to eliminate small players by flagging their Ads. It might require a change in thinking from the Craigslist folks if there is indeed collusion.

The Craigslist folks already have a much better understanding of the requirements for an effective flagging system than your comments suggest. If you care to delve into the details of it the CL forums are a fairly good resource. forums.craigslist.org link

#19 7 years ago

I send them links to my pachinko machines just for fun!

#20 7 years ago

There a few flippers here, in Alberta that run those kind of ads. Does not make me mad. It is all based on how much time you have, to follow Kijiji or Craigslist. Also your ability to re-act fast to inquirers.

#21 7 years ago

I started in this hobby when I was around 11-12 years old. I initially started with player pianos which I LOVED restoring. I would place ads weekly in the local Pennysaver with, "Wanted-Player Pianos Working or Not". I would get anywhere between 8-10 calls a week and the majority were "just get the piano out of here for free" type calls. Even though I liked doing this, it started to get difficult to sell them. A few years later when I was about 14, I started doing the same ads only instead of pianos, I looked for pinballs & videos. Again, I'd get quite a few calls weekly and would pick up anywhere between 10 to 15 pins per month. This was around 1977 so videos didn't really come into the picture until the mid-80's. I could not drive at the time (being 14 and all) so I had 2 college guys that my sister knew and they'd pick these machines up for me.
    It wasn't like it is today with all the bitterness, jealousy and competition that the Craigslist ads bring. Kindof sad, really because it just seemed that people were more decent back then.....

#22 7 years ago

We've got someone here in KC who says on Craigslist that he pays "Top Doller" for pinball machines.

#23 7 years ago
    Quoted from EMsInKC:

We've got someone here in KC who says on Craigslist that he pays "Top Doller" for pinball machines.

Well I buy pinball machines, pay CASH, Pay Top Dollar, and will even accept your credit card, birth date, and social security number

#24 7 years ago

IMO I think they are lame unless you are sourcing machines for an arcade, operating or a "collection" that you actually play. My view is that most of the people with ads are just looking to low ball or flip. I feel that slowly erodes the cache of cheaper machines giving more of a barrier for normal people to actually play & enjoy them. I also don't get ripping off the uninformed seller either, I don't want any "basement gems for a low price". I personally like working my job for profit and playing pinball for fun, and not trying to mix the two up.

#25 7 years ago

It can also be good to get games in the hands of collectors and back into circulation and people that appreciate the hobby . It gives people a buyer and can often make transactions painless . Don't knock it till you try it !

#26 7 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

I think the "I buy Pinball" ads are placed by buyers who hope to "lowball" someone who just wants to get rid of a pinball machine.

agreed, trollers, lookin for a quick pickup. no prob.

Quoted from Pauz21:

the same guy has posted the add 20 times filling up the que with his crap. Post one... that's fine. Post 10 and you're being a d=ck

agreed again. just bein a D!(K. got nuthin better to do.

Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

I buy pinball machines, pay CASH, Pay Top Dollar

Nuthin bad about that.
    The ones that hack me off, are the ...???..."people", that run PINBALL MACHINE WANTED adds.
    They don't want any pinball, they are just lookin for a quick flip. nuthin wrong with that either. but...
    they need to be honest in the post. I don't like answering an add , only to discover, they ONLY want NEW games to flip.
    PUT THAT IN YOUR ADD! quit jerkin folks around.
    "Steps down from soap box", drinks Beer...

#27 7 years ago

I think it is slimy of folks posting "I service pinball machines", simply as a ruse to get in the door and talk the person into selling their machines cheap. Or worse yet .. take their machine to service it then whine about how expensive the repair will be and perhaps you would like to sell it instead. No this has never happened to me .. and no I never sold it to the slimeball.

#28 7 years ago

I posted a WTB for a specific machine and it led to a fair trade for that machine. I don't expect it to be that easy every time, but it can work. I was willing to pay a fair price, so that probably helped.

#29 7 years ago
    Quoted from EMsInKC:

Ugh, I definitely hate that. And you know when they post that, they really pay bottom dollar, whatever that may be.

#30 7 years ago

If you add -wanted to your craigslist search all the ads with the word wanted will go away. Substitute wanted for whatever word annoys you. Works on ebay and google also.

#31 7 years ago

Just reply to them with a list of spectacular games and say they were your late husband's and you were looking for information on what they may be worth. I'll bet the answer they give will be worth a chuckle.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-hate-i-buy-pinball-ads and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.