Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 78 posts
  • 55 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by PW79
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

C749F54D-BD05-4E55-B159-63D6F1A1515B (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinballAir.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

When you have a game up for sale on any forum, and a prospective buyer wants your best price BEFORE coming to see the game, do you allow that person to haggle more when they show up.

Like most of you I know what I am selling is worth. I start higher than that price for 2 reasons, 1) some people do not feel they got a good deal unless they beat you up a bit and 2) I might actually get 10% or 15% more from the right buyer. Some wiggle room is built in.

So if someone wants the BEST price before showing up, and you give them the bottom line, IF YOU ARE NOT DESPERATE TO SELL, would you then allow them to knock off more money because they are there with cash? Which then puts you under what the game is worth.

I generally warn people that if we haggle a bottom dollar to get them to come out, that the deal is then set at that and I will not go further. I usually say that they should come and look at the game before they make an offer as my games are generally in above average condition.

I am never desperate to sell anything. Most games that I sell ,are sold for my asking price to the first person to actually look at them without any haggling.

And, when I buy games I never make an offer until I am there looking at the game. I find internet photos can be deceiving. I do miss out on some games with this strategy but so be it.

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I will tell you no thanks even if you come back up to the original price.

I will do the same thing.

At that point I feel like you are trying to take advantage of me.
    If we had a deal, you came to beat me up on the price and then agree to the original deal I am out.
    I am old school where a deal is a deal and a handshake or a promise is a deal.

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

something i missed, or was otherwise not disclosed, then I’ll budge.

Agreed.
    I generally go thru every aspect of a game and the games I sell I have owned for years so I know them in and out.
    BUT, if they find something , absolutely a new deal can be done at that point.

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

when the haggling was done in person

That is still the way I do it.
    Times have changed though.

The asking price has to be in the ballpark for me to even contact someone.
    If we are miles apart based on the description and pictures I will not contact the person.

I always bring the asking amount of cash for anything I am going to look at. ( if he is a pinhead I may bring more, maybe he has something else I want)
    If I am going, I believe it is in the ballpark of what it is worth and if it is as described I purchase it.
    If is not as described or pictured , I will explain to the seller ( politely) the things that I think make it worth less than asking price.
    I make a reasonable offer and the seller usually will give a counter offer.
    A deal is usually made.
    This is all face to face with the game in question right there for all to see.

I once offered a guy almost twice what I thought a game was worth that was for sale. ( got to have one syndrome) I was at his house looking at the game.
    It did not meet his description at all. It did not work ( though he said it did) and was in overall much worse condition than the selective pictures showed.
    I was still about 15% less than his asking price.
    He wanted another $50 out of me.
    I refused, thanked him and left.
    He called me 2 days later begging for my offer.
    I refused.
    I bought the same game in fabulous condition for 1/3 of my offer to the first person.

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from pincoin:

You cant skin a cat twice

Your avatar looks a little nervous with that phrase

#64 5 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

Another one I saw was posted for $3000, but had lots of issues when I saw it. I described everything that was wrong with it, and got it for $1400. Some people are still actually reasonable when they understand the problems. That one it turned out they had previously tried to sell for same high price, and previous potential buyer offered $1600 which they declined. But now they no longer thought they were sitting on a pot of gold.

But I will bet that the sellers were not pin heads.
    Most ,but not all pinheads would not sell a game that high. Also, most pinheads know the games they are selling unless they are habitual flippers in which case its anything goes.
    I would not sell that high because I don't want to waste that much time

#69 5 years ago
    Quoted from Sparky:

2) He wanted to tell his wife he got a deal.

I heard this same one.
    I first told the guy to just tell her he did get money off, but I was firm on my price.
    Was she going to look in his wallet when he got home?

Then I gave him some money off because after that we hit it off and because I had a little fudge built in.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinballAir.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-haggle-twice-?tu=PinballAir and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.