Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 78 posts
  • 55 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by PW79
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

C749F54D-BD05-4E55-B159-63D6F1A1515B (resized).jpeg
    There are 78 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 5 years ago

Some will treat a successful haggle as a trophy. They will tell their story of acquisition with pride and superiority every time they answer the question(s):
    "So where'd you get it?" and "What'd you pay?".

#52 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

If a buyer comes at you with “what’s your best bottom number” then that’s not making a deal. That’s them trying to convince themselves they can afford this thing. In other words, a tire kicker. Occasionally that does turn into a sale, but usually that sort of opening raises all kinds of alarm bells for me.
    I respond in general with “the price you see is the price im looking for”, which is true. If the buyer comes out and they spot something i missed, or was otherwise not disclosed, then I’ll budge. If I’m a hundred bucks off my sale price, ok then fine, but you get there by putting in the work, not by trying to get the best deal in the world and not bring anything to the table.

What's your best highest number?

#53 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

Ok, what about this.....had a nice Who Dunnit for sale, was asking $2700.00. Guy emailed me - "I'll give you $2200.00 for it". He lived 10 miles away. I said "Sure, I'll take the legs off and fold it up, just back up to the garage and load it up".
    And he says, "Well, I have to play it first and check it out, if everythings ok I'll take it".
    I said "No, you're 10 miles from me, didn't bother to get off your couch, didn't ask me anything about the game, just offered me $500 less than my asking price. For that much effort, you back up, load it, and leave."
    "Well you don't expect me to buy it without playing it??"
    I said "You didn't ask to play it, you offered to buy it, just like a "Buy It Now" on ebay. I agreed to your price, so come get it. "
    So, what is the proper protocol in THIS situation?
    For the record, I did sell it. Not to him. He stayed on his couch.

I like this story. but, gotta ask... what did you end up selling it for?

I think it's nice if they ask beforehand if the price is negotiable rather than "what's your best price?"

I agree with the "one haggle" rule. but,
    I get impatient when selling and usually offer even a bit more of a discount to the first interested person..
    My wife says I'm nuts. I just hate to have to wait for another possible buyer.

-M

#54 5 years ago
    Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

Whats your bottom dollar? questions get returned with: whats the most you're willing to pay? That rebuttal has saved me tons of time and heartache negotiating with cheap f*cks.

Oh, forgot about that one, I've used it too, that's probably the best one.

#55 5 years ago

I have been collecting for years. My repair skills suck. I had someone show up, convinced me to try to fix the game, I was able to, then he asked for 50 off. I said no and he paid the full amount.

#56 5 years ago
    Quoted from gamera9:

I have been collecting for years. My repair skills suck. I had someone show up, convinced me to try to fix the game, I was able to, then he asked for 50 off. I said no and he paid the full amount.

Ha!
    That'll teach 'em.

#57 5 years ago

If someone has a game I'm interested in but it is listed for more than I'm willing to pay, I'll generally ask them if they are flexible in their price. If they say yes, then I will ask them for some high-res photos. This gives me a preliminary idea of the overall condition of the game. If it's rougher than what I am looking for, then I thank them for the photos and move on. If the game looks nice, then I tell them I will come out to take a look at the game and potentially make them an offer. I am very methodical when it comes to buying games. Unfortunately, I miss out on a lot of games because of this. It amazes me how quickly some people will jump on a game sight unseen for a seemingly high price.

#58 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

I never give in, last time I got into it with a $50 difference after agreed upon number-I literally said ok I am no longer offering original agreed upon price-It is now $100 more than what I said. They then changed their tune.

LOL did that really work? I'm not buying it

#59 5 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

If someone has a game I'm interested in but it is listed for more than I'm willing to pay, I'll generally ask them if they are flexible in their price. If they say yes, then I will ask them for some high-res photos. This gives me a preliminary idea of the overall condition of the game. If it's rougher than what I am looking for, then I thank them for the photos and move on. If the game looks nice, then I tell them I will come out to take a look at the game and potentially make them an offer. I am very methodical when it comes to buying games. Unfortunately, I miss out on a lot of games because of this. It amazes me how quickly some people will jump on a game sight unseen for a seemingly high price.

That's just a factor of the buyer's ability (or desire) to wait; they're paying more to get the game "RIGHT NOW!", which has some value to them. but it doesn't automatically make the game worth more.

#60 5 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I am very methodical when it comes to buying games. Unfortunately, I miss out on a lot of games because of this. It amazes me how quickly some people will jump on a game sight unseen for a seemingly high price.

This might work for getting some nicer, higher-priced games, but you're not going to get any scoops that way. It also doesn't mean it was unseen or went for a high price.

If there's a machine I'm interested in, even if priced high, if I can, I'll immediately go see it. You have to jump if you want a deal, because if you don't someone else will while you're waiting for your hires pics.

Recently a machine was posted for $4000. It sat without a lot of interest presumably. Seller dropped the price to $3000 and I was first to go see it. I bought it for $2200.

Another one I saw was posted for $3000, but had lots of issues when I saw it. I described everything that was wrong with it, and got it for $1400. Some people are still actually reasonable when they understand the problems. That one it turned out they had previously tried to sell for same high price, and previous potential buyer offered $1600 which they declined. But now they no longer thought they were sitting on a pot of gold.

#61 5 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

If there's a machine I'm interested in, even if priced high, if I can, I'll immediately go see it. You have to jump if you want a deal, because if you don't someone else will while you're waiting for your hires pics.

And this is precisely why I miss out on so many games. Between work and family, I simply don't have the luxury to drop everything to go look at a game at a moment's notice.

#62 5 years ago

As an unsuccessful first time pinball buyer it seems sellers don't negotiate at all. I have unsuccessfully tried to purchase a couple of pins in the last month where both sellers flat out said no without a counter offer. My offers where based on what is currently list for sale and the market archive (in one example it was 400 less than asking). Did I expect the seller to accept my first offer? No. Its just so different that buying anything else you might buy second hand.

#63 5 years ago
    Quoted from mr9865:

As an unsuccessful first time pinball buyer it seems sellers don't negotiate at all. I have unsuccessfully tried to purchase a couple of pins in the last month where both sellers flat out said no without a counter offer. My offers where based on what is currently list for sale and the market archive (in one example it was 400 less than asking). Did I expect the seller to accept my first offer? No. Its just so different that buying anything else you might buy second hand.

There's a lot of interest - depending on the title, they may have already sold it. Some sellers don't even respond! but it's good to ask outright if they are considering offers. If you're looking on Pinside, the Ad will be pretty clear. If they're firm, they're firm. Otherwise, just ask and come up with a reasonable number. Most sellers I know definitely know what they have and price accordingly. There's a couple nuts here and there, but to my surprise, a lot fo those high-dollar games sell too! So you never can tell, you gotta ask!

#64 5 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

Another one I saw was posted for $3000, but had lots of issues when I saw it. I described everything that was wrong with it, and got it for $1400. Some people are still actually reasonable when they understand the problems. That one it turned out they had previously tried to sell for same high price, and previous potential buyer offered $1600 which they declined. But now they no longer thought they were sitting on a pot of gold.

But I will bet that the sellers were not pin heads.
    Most ,but not all pinheads would not sell a game that high. Also, most pinheads know the games they are selling unless they are habitual flippers in which case its anything goes.
    I would not sell that high because I don't want to waste that much time

#65 5 years ago

I think the answer to this is VERY situational dependent.

Being vague to not call out anyone, I once drove a couple hours to get a nice and perfectly working game. We had agreed on a price via pictures and talking on the phone.

I got there. The DMD didn't work right, one of the major toys didn't work right, one of the flippers didn't work right.

It's not like this was a $10k game where you could argue a $400 / $500 in repairs were a small percent.

Did I restart negations? Sure as hell I did.

If the situation was turned around? Well, I'd never misrepresent a game (or be so unaware of the condition). But if a buyer showed up and we found a problem not described? I'd appologies offer to take money off.

... Altan

#66 5 years ago
    Quoted from altan:

I think the answer to this is VERY situational dependent.
    Being vague to not call out anyone, I once drove a couple hours to get a nice and perfectly working game. We had agreed on a price via pictures and talking on the phone.
    I got there. The DMD didn't work right, one of the major toys didn't work right, one of the flippers didn't work right.
    It's not like this was a $10k game where you could argue a $400 / $500 in repairs were a small percent.
    Did I restart negations? Sure as hell I did.
    If the situation was turned around? Well, I'd never misrepresent a game (or be so unaware of the condition). But if a buyer showed up and we found a problem not described? I'd appologies offer to take money off.
    ... Altan

this has happened to me - perfectly good condition, working game suddenly DAY OF starts exhibiting problems. Turned out to be battery acid damage from who-knows-how-long-ago, which I was not aware of. I'd read about the phenomenon, and knew the possible consequences, but not really how to spot the issue.

That was a tough one, as I felt I could get full price for the game after replacing the MPU, but it would be another hassle, and the buyer (who was now helping me diagnose) had driven a *really* long distance. I was really torn, and I literally had to sleep on it, but we ended up making a good deal. I have to say kudos to that buyer, both for keeping his cool (I'm sure he was pissed) and for helping us come to a deal. I think I'd handle it roughly the same in the future, but man sometimes shit happens and it ain't fun.

#67 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

we ended up making a good deal.

That's what you can do when both buyer and seller are reasonable and fair!

#68 5 years ago

Since getting back in the hobby in 2005, I've probably sold over 60 games. The double-haggle has happened to me a handful of times. The following were the most interesting:

1) T2 - Buyer agreed to my asking price over the phone but wanted to negotiate when he arrvied. Two reasons he gave while begging me to lower my price: 1) He drove here in the rain. 2) He wanted to tell his wife he got a deal.

2) T3 - After a thorough inspection, buyer said he wanted it, and he handed me an envelope. I helped him and his friend get the game ready to load, and then as they were moving it to the vehicle, I started counting the money. It was $400 short of my asking price. When I brought it to his attention, he said, "I thought we agreed to that price over email." I quickly looked over our emails, and I said, "Nope, we never talked about price." He ended up leaving because he said he didn't have any more money with him. However, he called 5 minutes later saying his buddy had $150, and he asked if that would be enough to buy the game. It wasn't, so he ended up going to an ATM for the full amount.

3) Not a pinball, but a '65 Dodge Coronet I had listed on Craigslist...Buyer agreed to price on phone, but he was driving 3 hours with a car trailer. He wanted to make sure he wasn't wasting his time if I ended up selling it while he was on his way. He assured me he would pay my asking price. I told him I wouldn't be able to sell to anyone else because I would be at work when he arrived, and my wife would have to meet him on her lunch hour. I called my wife before her lunch hour ended to make sure everything went well, but she said the guy left without buying because he offered her less, and she said no. She was on her way back to work when he called her back and offered the full amount. Now he had to wait about 3 hours for my wife to get off work.

#69 5 years ago
    Quoted from Sparky:

2) He wanted to tell his wife he got a deal.

I heard this same one.
    I first told the guy to just tell her he did get money off, but I was firm on my price.
    Was she going to look in his wallet when he got home?

Then I gave him some money off because after that we hit it off and because I had a little fudge built in.

#70 5 years ago

Tough call. In times past especially when dealing with long term collectors you/they had a pretty good idea what was being sold and its condition. Today with so many new people in the hobby (a good thing) one persons definition of shopped and collector quality is Completely different then the next. And a small rant/question. Whats with the listings with just that small footnote issue, "a few bulbs out", "switch needs to be adjusted", "flipper could use a rebuild I think"? Fix the darn thing. You clearly know whats wrong why not make even a small effort to send the game on its way complete. Makes you wonder what else is overlooked.

#71 5 years ago

No haggling unless you are standing in front of me with cash in hand is my rule of thumb.

#72 5 years ago

If I’ve dealt with someone before, as a buyer or seller, or I know their reputation, sometimes I will send a message asking what their best price on a game is. People do it who contact me on occasion, and I always feel if I’ve dealt with you before, there may be a “no haggle” price that might be lower, even if only slightly. To me when I’m selling, not having to show a game to multiple people and dealing with someone I’m familiar with is worth giving a discount.

I often list my games for reasonable prices, so I don’t really leave much room for haggling. And my descriptions are usually as accurate as I can make them.

Like others have said, I have absolutely no problem being flexible if someone points out something I hadn’t noticed. But that is rare.

What I think is more hilarious is that some people posting in this thread that say they don’t believe in haggling or have no tolerance for it have done that exact thing when showing up to buy a game from me. Even when the game was described perfectly and there were no issues. Too funny.

#73 5 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

What I think is more hilarious is that some people posting in this thread that say they don’t believe in haggling or have no tolerance for it have done that exact thing when showing up to buy a game from me. Even when the game was described perfectly and there were no issues. Too funny.

LOL, classic.

#74 5 years ago

Wait, some folks agree to a price then show up & try to lowball?

C749F54D-BD05-4E55-B159-63D6F1A1515B (resized).jpegC749F54D-BD05-4E55-B159-63D6F1A1515B (resized).jpeg
    #75 5 years ago

I price things with the expectation someone will ask for a better price. 1650 means I want 1500. If you pay it and don’t ask that’s a bonus for me.

I won’t ask until I’ve seen good pictures or seen the game in person. Ask once, It’s worth a shot.

#76 5 years ago

Old school guy in the amusement business once told me "the deal isn't done, the price isn't set till the cash changes hands." Haggle till you make a deal. Don't get offended if someone wants to offer you less than you want. You never know till you ask.

#77 5 years ago

I push back pretty hard on no negotiation until you are standing in front of me. Only exceptions are like recently when a guy said “ this is the max I can spend” which received a polite no thanks. Or if they are from a long way out of town. But then expect the agreed price when they show up.

#78 5 years ago

Jokes aside.

No way I'd show up & offer less.

No way I'd show up & offer more.

No way I'd show up without an agreement in place.

To me the right way to sell a game is to provide lots of pics, answer all questions & settle on a price. Then meet up, make a new friend & caress the game with love when driving home.

There are 78 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-haggle-twice-/page/2?hl=mbaumle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.