3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by jgreene
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Ianishaney345.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

We are starting the process of building a house and beginning to look at plans. We are shooting for a walkout and it looks like the spot that we chose will work. I have my run of the basement! Yes, awesome wife alert! The goals are a half bath, music room, movie/theater room, a storage room, and space for 10 - 15 pins. Do you guys have any layouts that you recommend? Any talented architects or builders on here?

Added over 3 years ago:

Top Tips For Sewing Curved Seams

Curved shapes are everywhere you look. In fact, most patterns are a combination of straight and curved lines. No experienced sewists can claim themselves as a person who knows sewing if he or she cannot do curved seams with ease.

If you are new and have mastered the straight lines, it’s time to move on. Check out my top tips below so that you can make curved seams perfectly. If you are looking for one of those, there is a list of a good sewing machine for beginners at  Craftsselection.com that is worth checking out.

Make use of shorter stitches

Any curve can be made by short enough straight lines. This holds true in all types of curves out there. Short stitches can also help in creating better quilting projects and make all curves look even.

Making good curves is essential in making garments. You cannot sew sleeves or collars without them. Short stitches can also prevent some unwanted problems like fraying, wear, and tear, and split seams.

Making shorter seams is time-consuming but worth it. Newbies haven’t had the skills as experienced seamstresses do. So it’s advisable to start small and slow. Stitch length can be adjusted on most of the modern machines.

Mark the seam allowance when it lays flat

Curves are hard to sew partly because they can easily stretch and warp. To prevent this from happening, before you start sewing, lay the piece that is supposed to be made into a curve shape flat on the table and mark the seam allowance carefully.

If you do this right, you will always have a solid reference to follow as the piece goes through the sewing machine. If you need more support in keeping the curves from de-shaping, add a line of long stitches to hold the shape against the force of the sewing machine. For beginners, choose the best basic sewing machine which is simple and easy to use to start this project.

If you worry that the stitches are not as stretchy as the fabric, a line of stay stitches will help keep them in place.

How to deal with tight curves

You are sewing tight curves?

I have some tips that can help. Sooner or later, you will come across some curved lines so tight that moving the fabric alone is not enough to keep the needle in the right direction.

When you feel hard to keep going, stop the machine while the needle is still down in the fabric and lift the presser foot up. Turn the fabric in the right direction.

Some computerized sewing machines I know have a built-in up-down function that can come in handy for those who have to deal with tight curves often. It also has a lever that allows you to lift the presser foot with your knee, so you don’t have to take your hands or your eyes off the project.

If you cannot afford these machines, I have some budget-friendly models that work well, see this article on List of Best Crafts and Sewing Products CraftsSelection.com  to find out.

Make a small seam allowance.

Lumpy seam allowance is the enemy of curved seams. While in other articles I will recommend following the instructions carefully, with this one, in my opinion, trimming down the allowance is the best way forward.

The suitable width is a quarter inch. I find this much is enough to protect your project from fraying while keeping it from becoming bulky.

Doing this sometimes required you to sacrifice your stay stitches. However, when your curves have been taken shape, there is no need to keep the stay stitching anymore.

Notch the curves

Another tip the keep the curves from lumpy seam allowance is to notch it.

This process is basically cut out small triangles so when you turn the project, they don’t form a lump on the other side. Be careful not to get to close to the seams you have made, the point of leaving seam allowances is to prevent fraying.

Removing tiny triangles are easy so you don’t have to worry about the techniques

Concave curves don’t require that much complication. All you need to do is to make some simple slits on the seam allowance.

Press them

To make the curves look better, you should press them properly.

Different types of curves will require different pressing techniques. A tailor ham is for pressing garments. This ham is nothing more than a pillow that can further shape the curves while you press it. Don’t even try to press this one against the iron, it will end up flat.

For others, the steam iron is exactly what they need. If you are having a quilt project, feel free to press them with an iron and a large dose of steam.

You see, there are so many types of curves and as many ways to press them. What you need to do before you press is to search for the best way to handle each type.

Keep the right side up

Extra fabric in your seams will ruin the perfect appearance of the curves. To avoid this problem, make sure the seam lines align with each other. Keep the convex side down so you can get the fabric out.

I used to use a cover stitch machine to do the curved hems, it worked fantastically. Want to buy the best coverstitch sewing machine for yourself, check here https://craftsselection.com/best-coverstitch-machine-reviews/  to get the complete reviews.

Use enough pins

Sometimes I wish I had an extra pair of arms to keep my fabric in place. While that is not gonna happen, using pins is as helpful. Pins have been my best friends for years of sewing and they prove to be even more useful when it comes to curved seams. I recommend using long and sharp pins for the best result. Pinning along the lines but not into it. Even if you intend to use a cheap sewing machine for beginners or hand stitching to finish the job, make sure they are out of the way to avoid their sharp points.

When you use pins, bear in mind that certain types of fabric require special kinds of pins. For example, silk is delicate so typical pins will leave holes on it.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Ianishaney345.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-guys-have-any-layouts-that-you-recommend-any-talented-architec?tu=Ianishaney345 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.