(Topic ID: 207228)

Do you ground your ungrounded EMs? (poll)

By spinal

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 97 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by yancy
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Do you ground your ungrounded EMs?”

• No, if it's a 2-prong cord it stays a 2-prong cord 32 votes
    39%
  • Yes, I replace my 2-prong cords with 3-prong but only attach the ground to the transformer base 33 votes
    40%
  • Yes, I replace my 2-prong cords with 3-prong and also attach ground wires to all external metal parts (legs, lockdown bar, coin door, rails, shooter rod etc.) 17 votes
    21%

(82 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN5673 (resized).JPG
4C2C05F7-7D27-4E37-A56F-1AE9EDE78D4A (resized).jpeg
500A54BC-A9EA-46FF-B751-4D99F7B9D119 (resized).jpeg
8349EC50-544B-4E9C-A042-A13D59CD13F0 (resized).jpeg
e926377c6d8dde0e924161fa1c2a9e20 (resized).jpg
armored_cable (resized).JPG
our hotdog cooker (resized).jpg
20180114_153825 (resized).jpg
4f8487d744b4ee3606a196f51ad3771a4de9bbcf (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpeg
DSCN1350 (resized).JPG
DSCN1349 (resized).JPG
DSCN1348 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
download (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider darcy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from spinal:

(This C37 is a Canadian machine (Manitoba) so it's possible that it was modified for Canada either from the factory or afterwards). Anyone have pics of ground wires in their C37?

My Abra Ca Dabra, has the exact green wire grounding as your C37. Those blue crimp connectors are from the 1970's, and are not a standard that Gottlieb used.

Your power cord is missing the cover in that area where the prongs are. For your own peace of mind replace the cord, attaching the ground wire, to the base of the transformer.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from spinal:

So your ACD is a Canadian version then right?

Yes it was built for Canada. It doesn't have the cage or door lock out. Only 1 of my EMs has the transformer cage and door lock out switch, and that even was installed at Gottlieb, as all of the wiring is buried in the wire harness and not just laid on top of the harness.

#21 6 years ago

Can post pictures tomorrow afternoon. Or possibly this afternoon. Gottlieb pins that were exported and made to go to Canada have a stamp on the motor board, by the game counter.

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

We've seen the occasional shielded cage over the transformer too, those crazy Canadians...

It is a safety thing. We do not want people reaching into a live machine and touching a transformer with sweaty fingers.

Those transformer cages can also be found in 70's juke boxes, cigarette machines, and vending machines.

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

Didn't Canada require a 120V to 120V isolation transformer as well in their games?

Think that is a Province of Ontario only requirement.

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from spinal:

Cool, can you post pics of your grounding wires? You have same blue connectors right?

Here are the pics. Showing metal crimp connectors and what appears to be welded studs on the braces for the legs.

Right side rail, right front leg and lock down bar receiver.
DSCN1348 (resized).JPGDSCN1348 (resized).JPG

Left side rail, they replaced a nail, with a long bolt through the side of the cabinet
DSCN1349 (resized).JPGDSCN1349 (resized).JPG

Rear legs.
DSCN1350 (resized).JPGDSCN1350 (resized).JPG

Some one took some time to do this, or had done it many times before.

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from spinal:

Thanks for the pics Darcy. Bolts through the side are the same and there are other similarities but mine are just screwed into leg brackets and not welded on like yours. A couple years separate ACD and C37 so this could have changed.
In any case, at some point these mods were made to conform to Canadian code either at the factory or after I'm not sure. Anyone else have Canadian wedgeheads with grounding done?

I have my doubts that this grounding wire set up is a factory option. From the ones I have seen all the wiring looks to be added.

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from spinal:

Other option is that games were imported without ground mods and then owner would have to do before putting out but in that case who would enforce it?

The scenario would be a company importing new machines for re-sale in Ontario. The Provincial gov't would only allow commercial electric equipment in to Ontario unless it could pass a CSA test. There are no UL or CSA labels on 1970's Gottliebs.

On a smaller scale, what if the City of Toronto tried to control the amount of pins were in the city by making the operators jump hoops to licence the games. With that the games had to pass any testing by the CSA? With various grounding and that isolation transformer modifications? (Just a wild guess).

#49 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Some things can be designed with 2 prong safely, like a modern toaster (double insulated)

So I should question my self when I want to use this 1915 Universal Toaster, with a 2 prong cloth cord?

20180114_153825 (resized).jpg20180114_153825 (resized).jpg

#81 6 years ago
Quoted from spinal:

Here is Ray from GRC removing a 3-prong cord that was added to a GTB Space Walk EM and changing back to original 2-prong cord so he's definately in the leave it 2-prong camp.

That 3 wire cord in this You Tube video is one of those cords were the wires are flat. The ground wire wasn't even connected. Should change it to a round 3 wire cord, hopefully in black, that would look more original.

#83 6 years ago
Quoted from spinal:

I think the 3-prong, 14-ft replacement cords from pbresource are flat - mine are on their way so not sure. Regarding the video, I think Ray wanted to replace because he wanted to go back to 2-prong plug.

Just a personal preference to me. That wide looking flat 3 wire cord, in that video looked modern. A round cord is not original, the flat 2 wire cord is. Like seeing a yellow extension cord installed into a pin, it will work, but it stands out.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Santa Rosa, CA
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Downingtown, PA
$ 12.00
2,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Barnstable, MA
1,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider darcy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-ground-your-ungrounded-ems-poll?tu=darcy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.