(Topic ID: 207228)

Do you ground your ungrounded EMs? (poll)

By spinal

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 97 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by yancy
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Do you ground your ungrounded EMs?”

• No, if it's a 2-prong cord it stays a 2-prong cord 32 votes
    39%
  • Yes, I replace my 2-prong cords with 3-prong but only attach the ground to the transformer base 33 votes
    40%
  • Yes, I replace my 2-prong cords with 3-prong and also attach ground wires to all external metal parts (legs, lockdown bar, coin door, rails, shooter rod etc.) 17 votes
    21%

(82 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN5673 (resized).JPG
4C2C05F7-7D27-4E37-A56F-1AE9EDE78D4A (resized).jpeg
500A54BC-A9EA-46FF-B751-4D99F7B9D119 (resized).jpeg
8349EC50-544B-4E9C-A042-A13D59CD13F0 (resized).jpeg
e926377c6d8dde0e924161fa1c2a9e20 (resized).jpg
armored_cable (resized).JPG
our hotdog cooker (resized).jpg
20180114_153825 (resized).jpg
4f8487d744b4ee3606a196f51ad3771a4de9bbcf (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpeg
DSCN1350 (resized).JPG
DSCN1349 (resized).JPG
DSCN1348 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
download (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cottonm4.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

This has been covered a number of times already.
The second option in the poll is pointless unless all the other external metal parts are also grounded to the transformer base.

Lots of things have been covered before. And new people keep coming in. So items will get talked about again. And then again. I mean, can you really ask someone to go search 100s of pages and thousands of posts?

If you know a link that sheds light, do not berate someone for asking the same old question that has been asked before. Say, "Here you are" and provide a link.

#31 6 years ago

My pins are grounded but my house is not.

My house was built in 1957 and two-wire romex is all that is in my walls. I used to have a drawer full of those little gray adapters that that let you plug a 3-prong tool to a 2-prong outlet. That got tiresome, so one day I replaced all of my 2-prong outlets with 3-prong outlets.

Rewiring the house with grounded Romex costs too much but I'll probably have to reinstall the 2-prong outlets when I go to sell.

#39 6 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

If your house wiring isn't grounded your pins can't be grounded either (unless they're not in your house).

Yes, you are correct. It was a play on words. All of my pins are ground ready, or would be properly grounded if the outlet was grounded.

#46 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

That is dangerous.
Replace your 2 prong outlets with 3 prong GFCI outlets.
You won't get true grounding, but you will instantly trip on a ground fault (and thus save your life).
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-line-cords-plugs-wall-sockets-vids-guide#post-1945127
NO GROUND WIRE AVAILABLE IN DUPLEX BOX
=================================
If your house is old, it may not have a Ground wire available at all inside the electrical wall box.
The best thing to do would be to run a new line of "Romex" back to the Breaker Panel and have a properly grounded outlet.
But if your house is a rental, or there is just no realistic way to run a new line, you can actually install an "ungrounded" GFCI and it will still trip on a Ground Fault.
As a bonus, the GFCI will protect all the other outlets that are connected 'downstream' from it; so try to make it the first outlet in the line to the Breaker Panel.
The GFCI will come with a bunch of decals that need to be applied to itself and the other downstream outlets notifying users that they are protected, but no actual equipment ground is available.

Thanks Vid. It is an old house. The prices I got several years ago to do complete rewire were cost prohibitive. I was not aware that GFCI outlets would have any effect in a house with a 2-wire system. With this knowledge, I am going to install the GFCIs. Thanks again.

#53 6 years ago

That toaster reminds me of the hot dog cookers we used to make in 8th grade basic electricity class: Make and install two brass prongs to a piece of plexiglass, attach a power cord to the prongs, skewer the dog onto the prongs and plug in. Sizzle sizzle.

This pic a commercial version. It at least has a safety cover. We flew without a net. The ones we made were of the suicide type. Skewer, plug in, and hopefully unplug before you go to pull the hot dog off of the stakes.

our hotdog cooker (resized).jpgour hotdog cooker (resized).jpg

Good lord, can you imagine the liability for the school system if something like this was made by Johnny today?

#79 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

<lockquote cite="#4178008">Why downvote the guy?
It's dangerous advice.
Just like old guitar amps, if you don't remove the Death Cap and Polarity Switch, you can die a crispy death.
Yes "it worked for years that way" but it was not best practice, and is deadly now that the capacitor is old.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/yardbirds-keith-relf-death/

"If there’s any consolation in the tragic death of Keith Relf, it is that rhe former Yardbirds frontman died doing what he loved: making music. The 33-year-old was playing an ungrounded guitar in his basement when he was electrocuted on May 14, 1976."

#95 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

People use those cheater plugs to bypass the ground on their basement refrigerators, they step onto the damp floor and touch the fridge door - they are unable to let go or cry out while they slowly fry - sometimes for hours.

Jeez. You could have been a script writer for aVincent Price movie

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Barnstable, MA
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Downingtown, PA
1,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Santa Rosa, CA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cottonm4.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-ground-your-ungrounded-ems-poll?tu=cottonm4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.