(Topic ID: 14925)

Do you get pissed when someone plays one of your games then trashes the title?

By Cobray

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 51 posts
  • 38 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Cobray
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 12 years ago

Just curious about this!

I have 5 pins, which are all within the top 20 in most rankings (the title of the pins is not the point of this thread), and I occasionally have guys over to play them and we have a lot of fun.

What really gets me, and I'm not saying I'm right or that I think I should be ticked off, is that sometimes later on I will see that guy posting about how he doesn't like a certain pin (that he just got done playing at my place). Sometimes there is enough to support why, other times it's stupid stuff like they didn't like the gameplay because of the 3rd flipper or didn't think it was worth the money (I will use an example of this one, that my scared stiff isn't worth what it's currently selling for).

And for you, would you go over and play someone's game, only to get on the forums and talk about how the title sucks and that you would never buy one? And while you are just venting your own opinion, do you think it's a little rude to do so or not?

So if I went over to someone's house that had just unboxed a AC/DC pinball, played it all night, then got on the forums and talked about how one dimensional the game is and that it's just a hyped up jukebox with no refinement, would that be OK? And would you invite me back to play it again after that?

#2 12 years ago
    Quoted from Cobray:

So if I went over to someone's house that had just unboxed a AC/DC pinball, played it all night, then got on the forums and talked about how one dimensional the game is and that it's just a hyped up jukebox with no refinement, would that be OK?

Of course it's OK. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

#3 12 years ago

Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one! I, for one, don't care what other people think. I like playing games I haven't played before and develope my own opinion on weather to buy one or not.

Never bought a pin based on what other people think. If I like it, I buy it.

I wouldn't get too upset, if you like the game, that's all that matters.

#4 12 years ago

I see your point OP. If I just spent thousands of dollars on a pin and invited someone over to play it I would not be pleased if he came on pinside and then gave it, immediatly upon returning home, a very negative rating . . . hence possibly slightly decreasing the value of your pin.

That said, I think everyone is entitled to their opinion and don't think they should pad a ranking; but slamming a machine right after you let them play it is a little much I think.

#5 12 years ago

I have lots of tables that others don't like, does not bother me a bit.

They have games that I don't care for or just can't get into like they do - I'll still stop over at their house and fix them for them.

In a way, it's better for people not to all like the same games; prices are high enough already.

#6 12 years ago

I could care less.

#7 12 years ago

I know what you mean, it feels like an insult to you, even though you know it's not. I have lied to friends about liking their machines (title, not their particular one), as I was afraid of really saying what I thought of that machine.

#8 12 years ago

Normally, I wouldn't care...however I've had a run of people emailing about my Johnny Mnemonic listed for trade on Craigslist. About 4-5 people now have opened with, "It really isn't that fun, but..." or "That machine isn't popular at all, however..." followed by "what's the lowest you'd go". I don't know what kind of tactic that is, but it's just annoying.

#9 12 years ago

Unless the person was mentioning my name saying how "I" was stupid for owning this or that machine or how "I" paid too much for a machine, I could care Less. It would have to be Personal before I took it Personally. To Each Their Own on opinions of game play and worth.. Just their opinion and they are entitled to it.
    e.g. I own Cue Ball Wizard. People on Forums hate on it all the time. My 76 year old Dad loves it, this makes it Priceless to me.

Bill in Indiana

#10 12 years ago

Couldn't care less either. Especially since my opinions are generally relabeled as facts.

Just sayin...

#11 12 years ago
    Quoted from BillinIndiana:

To Each Their Own on opinions of game play and worth.. Just their opinion and they are entitled to it.
    e.g. I own Cue Ball Wizard. People on Forums hate on it all the time. My 76 year old Dad loves it, this makes it Priceless to me.

Bill in Indiana

+1.

Although, I have to admit I do sometimes take it personally.

#12 12 years ago
    Quoted from BillinIndiana:

Unless the person was mentioning my name saying how "I" was stupid for owning this or that machine or how "I" paid too much for a machine, I could care Less. It would have to be Personal before I took it Personally. To Each Their Own on opinions of game play and worth.. Just their opinion and they are entitled to it.
    Bill in Indiana

Thats awesome that your dad loves it and you have it in the collection just for him. I like reading/hearing things like this.

#13 12 years ago

Big +1 on that everyone has their likes and dislikes no need to take it personal.

#14 12 years ago

I buy what I like. I could really care less if they like it.

#15 12 years ago

I'm almost Sure I haven't had a pin that has went thru my GRG that someone didn't Like !!

No Smack talk that I know of .. But I will Smack talk some that i've had..

#16 12 years ago

I have a pin I don't like. Should I be mad at myself? Screw me.Lol. I think if someones opinion bothers you maybe you think to highly of there opinion. Now if there at your house raving about the pin then gets on pinside bashing the pin then they have no back bone. If they play it for the first time and say they don't like it you can't fault them for that, they are allowed to have an opinion after all. I'll play a pin even if I've decided in the past I don't like it. Sometimes I want to like it, try to like it, but just can't. Feeling are a terrible thing and should be avoided at all cost.

#17 12 years ago
    Quoted from the_pin_family:

I have a pin I don't like. Should I be mad at myself? Screw me.Lol

Yr a Nut man ... Mad me Laugh ..........

#18 12 years ago

LOL. Good responses.

I've gone over to guys houses and played some of their games, including some games that were just pulled out of the box, and didn't really care for them personally. I refrained from bashing the game or talking trash about it out of respect for the owner.. I know that they probably want to enjoy that NIB experience, and they were kind enough to invite me over to play, so why not just let it go and keep it to myself. It potentially does more to piss that person off and possibly ruin their experience than it does any good.

And lets say you had a restored example of one of the big three, such as MM, MB, or AFM, and it was your (personally) prized game. You let someone beat on it all night, only to see them post a few days later about how much the title sucks.. IE, oh, MB is just way too easy, I could never own one, especially for all that money someone would have to pay for one. No way! LOL. Not really a slam, but sorta is.

Anyways, I consider this topic more about pinball etiquette than anything else.. I will always own whatever makes me happy and could care less about what others like (I LOVE RBION!). Just trying to get some conversation on this topic so I don't have to confront the guys that hurt my feelings. (HAHA J/K).

#19 12 years ago
    Quoted from The_Gorilla:

Couldn't care less either. Especially since my opinions are generally relabeled as facts.
    Just sayin...

They are facts....to you.

The only person's opinion that I always agree with is mine. But that isn't true either, because I've been known to change my opinion!

#20 12 years ago
    Quoted from Cobray:

Anyways, I consider this topic more about pinball etiquette than anything else..

The bottom line is that there is a correct and incorrect way to handle the situation. There is nothing wrong with expressing a negative opinion about a game, just don't be a jerk about it. Obviously, I wouldn't go over someone's house and then come here on Pinside and tell everyone how much of an idiot the person is for buying the game. I might, however mention that I didn't find the game to be very much fun, or that it isn't my cup of tea but I can see how others might like it.

#21 12 years ago

T_G: You are sort of in a unique position in that we can read one of your posts, and then form an opinion about what you typed. Then if we glance to the left and see your avatar, and then re-read your post, we sometimes form a different opinion of your post.

#22 12 years ago

I have my pins bc I like them. I don't care what others think in any way shape or form. If someone came over and played my LOTR and then said how much they hate it. Well that a hole don't know crap about pins lol.

#23 12 years ago

I personally would't go to someone's place, play their pins then get on any forum and
    talk trash about the pins I didn't like. It's tacky and shows a lack of class.

On the first time I went to BR's game room garage it was an honor to be there, and play his
    TZ, BSD, he had a No Fear also at the time. I didn't have outstanding scores on any machine,
    but I still enjoyed playing them all. Didn't have an unlimited time on them because we went to
    The Banker's house, played some of his pins, then went to Lost Ark arcade. We also did lunch
    at Hooters.

For me it's all about respect, RESPECT the host's house, and his pins.

Whatever my opinion is about a specific pin, I'm mature enough to keep those thoughts in
    my own skull. People get Internet brave when it comes to taking trash about what other
    people have,drive, wear, live, drink,eat, etc.

If it were to happen to me the trash talker would not get a second invite to my house.
    Basically I'd tell that person to piss off and play some routed garbage pins and stay the hell
    away from my place. Friends like that I don't have, need, or want.

#24 12 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

Normally, I wouldn't care...however I've had a run of people emailing about my Johnny Mnemonic listed for trade on Craigslist. About 4-5 people now have opened with, "It really isn't that fun, but..." or "That machine isn't popular at all, however..." followed by "what's the lowest you'd go". I don't know what kind of tactic that is, but it's just annoying.

I wouldn't sale to anyone that would say the thing's you mention.

Not a fun pin, hang up phone.
    Machine isn't popular, hang up phone.
    Lowest I'll go, sorry, not for sale today.

F**k'em. They're probably wanting to buy it from you low and flip it higher price a day or week
    later.

IF I ever sale I'm going to sale it to the person who I feel really wants that pin
    because they love the pin and have always wanted my specific pin.

Post edited by gweempose : profanity obfuscated

#25 12 years ago

I wouldn't take it personally. It's just an opinion and what matters is what you think of your games. If everyone liked the same games as you there wouldn't be enough games to go around and you likely wouldn't own them. With that being said if the game they were ripping on was Centaur they have a serious problem! That game kicks major ass

#26 12 years ago
    Quoted from JWS64:

lpeters82 said:Normally, I wouldn't care...however I've had a run of people emailing about my Johnny Mnemonic listed for trade on Craigslist. About 4-5 people now have opened with, "It really isn't that fun, but..." or "That machine isn't popular at all, however..." followed by "what's the lowest you'd go". I don't know what kind of tactic that is, but it's just annoying.
    F**k'em. They're probably wanting to buy it from you low and flip it higher price a day or week
    later.
    IF I ever sale I'm going to sale it to the person who I feel really wants that pin

Wow, bitter much?

#27 12 years ago

I like going to other people houses to play their games
    If they have a game that i have never played, all the better
    But i would always respect the owner and not trash his games

#28 12 years ago

All depends on how it is said and communicated.

"Was at_______ blanks house and played ________. Not my favorite game, but his is real nice and I had a great time there. Thankful he gave me the opportunity to play it. "

vs.

"Just got done playing __________ at ___________house. Can't believe he would buy a turd like ________________ when he could have gotten _____________ ."

Most of pinball friends are thick skinned. If I thought they would have any chance of being offended, I wouldn't say anything.

#29 12 years ago

Everyone I know that comes over seems to like my TSPP.

#30 12 years ago

Does not matter

#31 12 years ago

Does not really bother me. Now if they were trashing my games condition maybe.

Everyone is entitled to there own opinion.

If they don't like my pins they don't have to come over and hang out and play for free. =-)

#32 12 years ago

I would never say that I hated somebodies choice of pinball machines, car, house or whatever.
    It's like saying you think their wife is ugly. People tend to take that personally too.

#33 12 years ago
    Quoted from Marten:

I would never say that I hated somebodies choice of pinball machines, car, house or whatever.
    It's like saying you think their wife is ugly. People tend to take that personally too.

Bingo. That was what I was trying to say; you articulated it much better.

#34 12 years ago

For the most part, people agree that it's not a big deal if someone doesn't like one of your games. Yet, on this board, if someone says something negative toward certain games, or certain mods, they get jumped on quick.

#35 12 years ago

I get more annoyed when people say "they could care less" when they mean "they COULDN'T care less".

I don't take it personally at all. There's no accounting for taste or something like that.

#36 12 years ago

Great thread. I agree Apekop, good analogy, if you do not like someone's pin, car, wife(LOL), don't be a dick about it. If you must express your opinion about it, use some tact and have respect for others tastes. Everybody likes different things, if they didn't we would all drive the same car, have the same house, same clothes....boring!

On the same account, some people are very sensitive about what they DO like, look at Mac users, say anything not 100% positive about the Mac platform and they take it like you just beat their child with a horse whip. They tent to fly off the handle at the slightest inflection of something negative implied about their platform of CHOICE. It is usually pointless talking to them about computers, Mac's were made by gods hand and PC's are total crap, no possible way it is any good if it does not have a half eaten apple on it somewhere. Same can be said/applied to many things, cars, sports, religion, politics etc.

Point is, be respectful, do not criticize someones choice just because you like something else. Be constructive and always try to find some good things about it instead of jumping to the reasons why you dislike it. If it is not for you, great, it is for someone else and they are entitled to their choice/opinion just as you are.

#37 12 years ago
    Quoted from GoneFishinLvMsg:

JWS64 said:lpeters82 said:Normally, I wouldn't care...however I've had a run of people emailing about my Johnny Mnemonic listed for trade on Craigslist. About 4-5 people now have opened with, "It really isn't that fun, but..." or "That machine isn't popular at all, however..." followed by "what's the lowest you'd go". I don't know what kind of tactic that is, but it's just annoying.
    later.

Wow, bitter much?</

Have you ever met me? Do you know me? Both answers, no.

I don't put up with idiots, assholes and tire kickers.

I'm one of the nicest people you'll ever meet, I just don't tolerate
    other people's BS. That's why I can count my best friends on
    single digit numbers, the way I like it.

If you have a problem with that, too bad.

#38 12 years ago

All depends on the delivery. Trashing a game is kinda weak. But an honest opinion "this game just didn't grab me....I didn't like this & this...just not my kind of game..." is fine.

There's plenty of highly rated games I don't like, and lower ones I think are much better. All opinion.

#39 12 years ago

I don't care what people say about them. One of my favorite games is Viper Night Drivin'. Everyone on message boards hates it. I'd argue that not everyone has played one set up right, as the game is a blast if you set it up right. But...

Before I owned many machines, we had a VND at one of the arcades I managed. I *hated* it with a passion. I wouldn't play it, and I told everyone that it was a hunk of crap. The guy who changed my mind on it owned one, and I jokingly apologized to him about it, and he told me I just didn't play one that was set up right. Lo-and-behold, a few months later I landed one, and it will be one of the last to leave.

I'd rather you tell me your opinion in real life, but if you want to go trash it on some message board, more power to you. I know a lot of people that have played my VND and still think it's a piece of crap, and I'm fine with that

#40 12 years ago

I have had people come round play one of my favourites and say right there and then, that my pin sucks!!

I have learned there is no pin that is loved by all and many polarizing opinions, so not really a problem

#41 12 years ago
    Quoted from the_pin_family:

I have a pin I don't like. Should I be mad at myself? Screw me.Lol

Me too...LMAO! Damn price for SFII was too hard to pass up!! I Hate that game!!!!!!!!!!

#42 12 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

I get more annoyed when people say "they could care less" when they mean "they COULDN'T care less".

+1 Billion

#43 12 years ago
    Quoted from JWS64:

lpeters82 said:Normally, I wouldn't care...however I've had a run of people emailing about my Johnny Mnemonic listed for trade on Craigslist. About 4-5 people now have opened with, "It really isn't that fun, but..." or "That machine isn't popular at all, however..." followed by "what's the lowest you'd go". I don't know what kind of tactic that is, but it's just annoying.

later.
    Post edited by gweempose : profanity obfuscated

[OK, before I tear my eyeballs out] 'sale' is a noun. I think 'sell' is the verb you're looking for.

Apart from that, yeah, I agree with your sentiments.

#44 12 years ago

Doesn't really matter to me if they like it or not. I understand where your coming from but everyone has different tastes when it comes to these things. As long as they are respectful while playing the pin is all that matters to me.

I have plenty of pins people dont care for so it only matters what you like.

#45 12 years ago
    Quoted from Marten:

It's like saying you think their wife is ugly.

Umm, no it's not. I would venture to say most people would be "slightly" more offended by the wife statement.

#46 12 years ago

I would be even more offended if you attempted to play with my wife...

#47 12 years ago

This is easy Cobray,
    Just don't buy crappy pins! (<----kidding)

Yeah,
    I never understood this mentality of showing someone your hospitality and then having the person say that they didn't enjoy ___, or ____, later to a friend, or online, just because "it" wasn't in their personal "canon" at the time.
    When and if that situation ever comes around, it is usually met with a "Have a nice life!" and no further contact with said person.
    Life's too short to deal with asshats...
    "The Golden Rule" continues to be my M.O. when it comes to life in general; pinball etiquette should be no different.

#48 12 years ago
    Quoted from StevenP:

[OK, before I tear my eyeballs out] 'sale' is a noun. I think 'sell' is the verb you're looking for.

Apart from that, yeah, I agree with your sentiments.

It's been a long time since I graduated from high school. Sorry about that improper use of noun's and verb's.

I think I've seen one too many "FOR SALE" signs and I never see any "FOR SELL" signs on the sign's aisle at Lowe's or Home Depot.

#49 12 years ago

Doun't wurry JWS64,
    Itz onlee StevenP beaing StevenP...
    He is rally goud at wat he doz.

#50 12 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I would be even more offended if you attempted to play with my wife...

It would be even worse if you played with her and told everybody you hated it.

There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-get-pissed-when-someone-plays-one-of-your-games-then-trashes-the-title and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.