View topic image gallery

SpitefulBronzeCob-size_restricted.gif
pasted_image (resized).png
3mbp20 (resized).jpg
3mbi8o (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpg
MoonBearPig (resized).png
Unknown (resized).jpg
Charles-Darwin-quote-about-evolution-from-On-The-Origin-of-Species-1a3090 (resized).jpg
178DD1B0-CC39-4FD9-9AA5-B5E56B3F8799 (resized).png
ot-plasticplague-garbagepatchmap (resized).jpg
a-man-is-known-by-the-company-he-keeps (resized).jpg
Unknown (resized).jpg
bernard (resized).jpeg
3loguy (resized).jpg
big-hunk-4 (resized).jpg
Oprah-Flu-Shot-meme-300x217 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rtr.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#609 5 years ago

I am genuinely shocked at the poll results here. 50% don't get the flu shot? I hope that doesn't mean 50% of pinsiders are anti-vax, but seems like a lot are by the comments.

The flu shot is not just about protecting yourself - it protects other people in our lives too. Herd immunity is important - the vaccinated protect other vulnerable people that cannot benefit from a vaccine for whatever reason - they are immunosuppressed and cannot take a shot (chemo, AIDS, too young) or have some other underlying medical condition, permanent or temporary, that prevents them from getting a vaccine.

Here is a comic that explains things pretty well, but google 'measles outbreak' if you want to see real world results of herd immunity problems caused by anti-vaccine foolishness:

https://www.vaccineswork.org/great-cartoon-by-maki-naro-explains-how-vaccines/

#616 5 years ago
Quoted from PismoArcade:

Yesterday, for the first time in my life, I got a flu shot.
Thirty minutes later, my throat was sore. As the day progressed, I felt worse. This morning I woke up with the effects of a full blown flu and feel absolutely lousy.
I understand the reasons why this is but if I had a do over, I would have passed.

Flu shot is a dead virus and dead virus parts - you can't get sick from it. Flu shots take 1-2 weeks to work. Flu is already circulating right now. You were already sick when you received your shot, but had no symptoms.

If I had flu and blew a hot, gooey, double snot rocket right into your face this morning while you were yawning, you would not get sick this afternoon. The flu takes longer to incubate than that.

1 year later
#1651 4 years ago

Everyone could stand to read this comic. It can help you understand why people can be super resistant to information that is new to them, but is factually correct, provable, obvious, etc and any attempt at changing their mind just causes them to double down.

It's long, but worth your time.

https://theoatmeal.com/comics/believe

#1659 4 years ago
Quoted from ZNET:

Thanks for posting this enlightening article on the backfire effect.

It should be shown at Thanksgiving to all attendees each year. There is a 'clean' version (no cuss words) available if you need to send it to someone that would be offended by the spicy language.

And prior to any conversations during dinner, everyone should review:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_common_misconceptions

#1665 4 years ago
Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

Not sure if this is an appropriate place for this...but I was recently plucking my nose hairs instead of trimming because they have become quite coarse and I was hoping the plucking would reset them somewhat.
Well after my pluck job I decided to research what I had done and learned it’s a big no-no as this region is considered the triangle of death where hair should never be plucked[quoted image]

If this were a real problem, we would all be dead by now. The danger triangle is anatomically real, but the risk of death from popping nose pimples ( I can remember being warned by my mom in the 70's) or plucking a hair is super remote. Dr. Oz spends too much time on stuff like this.

Nose plucking death stories would make great click bait - like flesh eating bacteria and that amoeba that lives in stagnant pond/creek water that eats your brain - but I don't ever recall seeing a bonafide nose hair plucking or pimple popping death article.

BTW - I LOVE the direction of this thread.

1 week later
#1762 4 years ago

I am going to stop vaccinating my dogs and cats now. Thank you for revealing the cold hard truth about the danger of vaccines.

Also - I am no longer afraid to face Lockjaw on my own terms. Bring it on Tetanus! I'm gonna whup your ass the old fashion way!!

#1764 4 years ago

I'm surprised the military hasn't caught on to the vaccine scam yet. Imagine all the money they would save just letting measles run through a battalion?

Plus it would obviously toughen everyone up. Our military has gone SOFT with these damn vaccines for long enough!

#1767 4 years ago

Also, I think Rabies is made up. Raccoons don't get vaccinated, but there are plenty of healthy raccoons out there. Boom - Rabies you are busted!!

Quoted from madtown:

Are military persons required to get vaccines?

Of course we are, it would be idiotic not vaccinate that many people in close quarters. There is no opting out on any grounds - religious, anti-science, or whatever.

#1770 4 years ago
Quoted from jhanley:

You're kidding ,right.

Sorry, we can't fight this month. Our dumbasses all got a preventable disease. Our bad.

#1774 4 years ago
Quoted from madtown:

Wrong...misinformed people sharing misinformation. You CAN get a waiver in the u.s. military.

There may be a listed 'process' for an exemption other than medical (immunosuppressed, etc), but in boot camp, you just line up, shut up, and get your shots.

#1776 4 years ago

Here is the military info if you want it - you can think you can just 'opt out' if you want, but if you read closely, you will see that it is not really optional or solely up to the service member:

What are the different types of military exemptions?
Medical
Temporary Exemptions may be granted for up to 365 days based on:
Temporary contraindications to vaccines (e.g., pregnancy, acute illness, treatments causing immune suppression)
Pending completion of an ongoing medical evaluation
Medical Supply exemption: lack of vaccine supply
Permanent Exemptions may be granted indefinitely based on one of the following**:
HIV infection, prolonged or permanent immune suppression
Determination by a medical provider that further vaccination will seriously endanger patient's health
Medical, Reactive exemption: Previously severe reaction after specific vaccine (e.g., anaphylaxis)
Medical, Immune exemption: Evidence of existing immunity (e.g., by serologic antibody test, documentation of previous infection or natural infection presumed)
**Indefinite or permanent exemptions may be reversed if an alternate form of prophylaxis is not available, if a medical condition or vaccination guideline changes, or if a provider experienced in vaccine adverse-event management determines that the risk of acquiring the disease is greater than the risk of vaccine exposure.

Administrative
Separation or retirement within 180 days provided the following conditions are met:
Service member is not assigned, deployed or scheduled to perform duties in an area where specific immunization is indicated
The commander has not directed immunization because of overriding mission requirements
Separation of civilian employees and contractor personnel within 30 days
Religious:
Granted according to Service-specific policies
Command decision made with medical and chaplain consultation

#1777 4 years ago

Not having a vaccine and not getting sick - if you really are not/never were vaccinated against measles, mumps, rubella (MMR) for example - you are just relying on those who have been vaccinated (on herd immunity) to stay healthy. You are benefiting from the vaccine even though you are not participating.

Vaccines are not just for the individual receiving them. There are people that legitimately cannot get a vaccine and they stay protected through herd immunity to an extent. But it's a numbers game. As the % of the vaccinated population goes down, the effectiveness of Herd Immunity goes down as well. Then the unvaccinated start to get sick, especially in populations of people where the vaccine rate is low.

#1778 4 years ago
Quoted from madtown:

Wrong...misinformed people sharing misinformation. You CAN get a waiver in the u.s. military.

It's a 'can you', but 'will you' scenario. You are not going to get a "I've done my own science" waiver in the military. Of course there are considerations for legit medical reasons.

#1782 4 years ago
Quoted from madtown:

I bet if you said..i am not signing up for the military unless i get a waiver, one would magically appear.

That would do it. While you are at it, tell them you like weekends off too.

#1792 4 years ago

Pretty sure Madtown is trolling and just having a little fun. Nicely done madtown.

Quoted from madtown:

I will take my chances. Worst case scenario...i get the measles...cough fever and runny nose.

#1807 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Seriously? Although I got those shots when I was younger, there is no way in hell I am relying on others that get flu vaccines or any other kind to stay healthy.

A vaccinated anti-vaxxer? There are lots of those around, in some cases no doubt because they were vaccinated.

The truly unvaccinated do benefit from the vaccinated herd immunity. Didn't really mean to say they all actively rely on it, just that they all benefit from it.

There are people who would like to get the vaccines, but cannot because of legit medical reasons. Those people actually rely on the actions of the rest of us (the herd) for their protection.

#1873 4 years ago

An adult can be as stupid as they wanna be here in the good ol USA. Not likely to change. Freedom! Merica!

When the same adult makes the choice to withhold medical treatment from their minor child is when I have a problem. Especially when the anti-vaxxers also think it is OK to send their kid to same school as other kids. At the very least, I think it is fine to prevent their child from accessing public services if they will not adhere to a vaccination regimen.

Plenty of news stories out there where 14 yo kids finally figure out how whack their parents are and seek out vaccinations on their own.

#1888 4 years ago

This escalated quickly. Not sure where rape houses are, but you should report them. Here is an article where states are addressing the parents right to lunacy while allowing the children to elect for actual healthcare: https://www.governing.com/topics/health-human-services/sl-teens-can-choose-to-get-vaccines.html

Quoted from SadSack:

So in your mind, medical tyranny is preferable to medical freedom. I haven't seen one 14YO kid who has "whack" parents take care of themself, but you'd throw them in a government-sanctioned rape house to teach their dipshit parents a lesson. What ever happened to "my body, my choice"? If my kids think I'm whack, I'll bring them to a lawyer (at their expense) to have a discussion about emancipation.

Parents cannot, in fact, do anything they want to their children. Children have rights that sometimes surpass their family's beliefs and there are laws that ensure those rights can be asserted. States allowing children to elect to be vaccinated are an example of those laws. Plenty of other examples.

Quoted from madtown:

Parents make decisions for their children based on their beliefs, not yours, thats what parents do. That is what makes america, america. Freedom to choose. If the vaxxers want to remove their kids from school because someone is not vaccinated feel free. Better yet put your kids in a bubble. They are being exposed to hundreds of germs with no vaccines everyday. Its not witholding a medical treatment. Its witholding a preventative medicine for a disease that doesnt hardly exist in our society. If your kid is vaccinated for these rare diseases, what are you worried about? My kid who has hardly been to the dr. Is going to give your vaccinated kid polio?

#1889 4 years ago

FTR - I am not trying to persuade Madtown, Sad Sack or anyone else to switch sides or get a vaccination or whatever. Since the advent of social media platforms a lot of fringe views get a whole lot of what we used to call 'ink'. They are entitled to their personal opinions.

But all that ink can cause some people to think that both sides of an argument are worth considering - anti-vaxxer, pizza-gate, flat earth, windmill cancer, moon landing hoax, etc. Whenever I see foolishness I feel obligated to speak up a bit.

#1901 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I'm just happy that we can all agree that there are none that would have us take shots or medicines that a person had decided he or she would rather not.

I never agreed to this. "Rather not" is a pretty low bar. Hell, I would 'rather not' like to do a lot of things, but I do them.

Forcibly against someone's will or against a parent/guardian's will? Almost certainly not for an adult capable of making their own decision for themself, but possibly, if it involves a minor child.

#1917 4 years ago

How can one become a sigma bear?

#1920 4 years ago
Quoted from FlippinJimmy:

Impossible. You don't become one. You are born one.

Dammit.

#1960 4 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

Why did Mr. Green jeans always wear blue?

We had a B/W TV, I thought he wore grey.

#1980 4 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

I don't really care if any of you get the flu shot. Do what ever you want, just be responsible and stay home and away from people at high risk if you do get sick. There are too many dumb asses walking around coughing all over everything. Children should receive certain vaccinations in my opinion or they shouldn't be allowed to attend public school. Privately owned schools should have policies that fit whatever their own beliefs. If anyone is arguing against the success in general of vaccines they are viewing a very alternate history that is warped to meet their own desires.
This year I went to publixs for my shot, my insurance covered it and they gave me a $10 publix gift card for groceries. So now I'm $10 richer and less likely to get the flu. I also take my grandmother to radiation treatments at least every other week so I would consider it incredibly reckless and irresponsible not to have one this flu season.

That must mean that flu vaccinations don't work.....

Everyone knows intelligent people that say and do some of the dumbest stuff ever. I know an extremely successful surgeon that no kidding, goes on a trip every year looking for proof of bigfoot.

I wonder why insurance companies, Medicare, and and other health plans buy all that flu shot and give it to their members for free? Do they want to make their members sick and Big Pharma rich? How is that in their interest? Why did their number crunchers tell them to do it? I can't figure this out!!

#1989 4 years ago

Dumbass NFL teams damaging their players by offering and sometimes mandating flu shots. What a waste of money!

https://nationalfootballpost.com/monday-morning-md-8798/

#2019 4 years ago

Heard immunity? Of course I've heard of immunity!

#2024 4 years ago
Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

Of course he did, and just like the flu, this thread will resurface every single year around this time and go on to become the most prolific thread in the history of pinside.

There is a way to vaccinate yourself against this thread, if one were so inclined....

#2029 4 years ago

I get vaccinated because I believe in the science and because I have family members that are young children and some with respiratory problems and if they get the flu it is dangerous for them.

If anyone wants some real info on subject, the CDC has improved their website and has a great FAQ about flu now.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/prevent/index.html?s_cid=PN-NCIRD-Flu-OY4FightFlu-AW-Search-4-Recommend&gclid=CjwKCAiAis3vBRBdEiwAHXB29PCwxFli83MOiabuoJ5Fw7wsNjxVVQUj3WqIiGSg1BVsDQWqBKhNlxoCWfIQAvD_BwE

#2032 4 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Nobody wants that here!! Keep science and reason out of this damn thread!!

My bad, what in the HELL was I thinking? Here is a better site then:

https://www.infowars.com/?s=vaccine

#2034 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

To practice what I preach, I will not be putting any lives at risk by getting behind the wheel of a motor vehicle to go get a flu shot.
#doyourpart.com

That probably balances out, nicely done o-din.

#2062 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Sorry to hear that, but perhaps he took the expert's advice and got the flu shot recommended for those with Crohns. Or misunderstood the recommendations.
"it contains the live forms of modified flu virus"
https://www.crohnsandcolitis.org.uk/news/the-flu-vaccine-and-ibd

Bad information summary. The article says don't take the nasal vaccine if you are a kid, bc it contains live forms of flu virus. They recommend the shot bc there are no live virus in the shot.

#2067 4 years ago

If your immune system is bad ass, a snort of live virus is all it needs to stay in fighting shape.

No vaccines means your immune system is flabby, lazy, and may not get off the couch when the home invaders knock down your door.

#2079 4 years ago

Unless you can make your case using my anecdotal made up information, without using "numbers" and "science", I cannot respect your opinion.

#2084 4 years ago
Quoted from pinstyle:

Though not being in medicine I could be way off base.

Describes most of this thread!

#2097 4 years ago

If Hannity and Maddow got into a flu vaccine duel - syringe darts at 10 paces - would puppies still make me sick?

#2104 4 years ago

Since this has turned into a public service/general medical forum, here is a reminder that squirrel brains aren't just high in cholesterol. Even Cousin Eddie doesn't eat them anymore:

https://www.livescience.com/63831-squirrel-brains-rare-disorder-creutzfeldt-jakob-disease.html

1 week later
#2160 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

The flu doesn't kill nearly as many people as pizza and cheeseburgers, want the government to ban all bad foods, alcohol, and cigarettes etc?

Can we leave the friggin' cheeseburgers out of this discussion?

Randy (resized).jpgRandy (resized).jpg

1 week later
#2178 4 years ago

This thread reminds me of the Dead Parrot skit. We are finally down to the "the flu is killing people" vs "that's not flu, it's something made up by the government" part.

1 week later
#2293 4 years ago

Guys - I think SadSack and o-din are starting to see the light, just a few more facts and they will get vaccinated! Go for it!

#2305 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Yeah man!
Just like all the hype from people that know more than I convinced me to invest in one of these.

Cant believe you fell for the Yugo but not the flu shot!

#2363 4 years ago

Anyone paying attention knows the government has been using chemtrails to insert flu shot into the generically modified corn crop. Between that and the fluoride we are pretty much screwed guys.

#2366 4 years ago
Quoted from Davidus56:

You sure that is generically modified? I thought they only used brand name modified corn crops.

It's widely known that Monsanto is a CIA cover, open your eyes bro.

#2377 4 years ago
Quoted from Davidus56:

You are joking, right?

I can tell that you are probably one of those 'round earth' 'moon lander' types that believe everything the New Templars tell you. WAKE UP SHEEPLE!!!

#2394 4 years ago

Ever notice the pro vaxxers seem to think alike? Illuminati mind control serum!!!! Stay away!

#2413 4 years ago

I was forcibly given a flu shot. True story.

#2414 4 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

I was forcibly given a flu shot. True story.

I mean, was only 3, but still.

#2447 4 years ago

"It's a fool that looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart."

Ulysses Everett McGill

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 16.00
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Vista, CA
$ 1.00
Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball

6,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, OH
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 12.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RavSpec

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Knoxville, TN
$ 599.95
Cabinet - Toppers
Hi-Rez Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 26.95
1,100 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Woolwich Township, NJ
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rtr.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-get-a-sesonal-flu-shot?tu=rtr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.