View topic image gallery

SpitefulBronzeCob-size_restricted.gif
pasted_image (resized).png
3mbp20 (resized).jpg
3mbi8o (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpg
MoonBearPig (resized).png
Unknown (resized).jpg
Charles-Darwin-quote-about-evolution-from-On-The-Origin-of-Species-1a3090 (resized).jpg
178DD1B0-CC39-4FD9-9AA5-B5E56B3F8799 (resized).png
ot-plasticplague-garbagepatchmap (resized).jpg
a-man-is-known-by-the-company-he-keeps (resized).jpg
Unknown (resized).jpg
bernard (resized).jpeg
3loguy (resized).jpg
big-hunk-4 (resized).jpg
Oprah-Flu-Shot-meme-300x217 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider navajas.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#112 6 years ago

My God, people are so polar. "Vaccines" are not a scientific monolith. The polio vaccine's efficacy is functionally 100%. It is a vaccine. The typical efficacy of flu vaccines, even as reported by those who strongly advocate their use, is around 40-60%, sometimes dipping into the teens.

That's firmly in placebo range.

A warning bell for a-critical rhetorical bullshit goes off in my head when I see moon child hippies with mud drenched sandal clad feet flip flopping along in ideological lock step with fringe conspiracy theorists and young Earth creationists. It's like a bunch of unsightly shit slinging monkeys throwing claims of science denial at each other.

Do I and my family vaccinate? Yes, absolutely. And no, of course not.

#119 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

40-60% is placebo range? Time to get me some new placebos.

Is that supposed to be a zinger? Placebo efficacy in double blind clinical trials can be in the 70%+ range. Drug effect in many areas shrinks to single digits when properly controlled.

So yes, 40-60% is EASILY in placebo range. And the teens, which I'll point out immediately precede that claim, should require no imagination on your part at all. Look at homeopathy. It has this kind of efficacy and is a "science" based ENTIRELY on placebos.

#184 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

I took you to mean that "both 13% and 60% are well within placebo range." And in some trials, the placebo effect is presumably 100% (i.e. where the drug is completely innefective, so any observed effect is placebo). That said, 13% sounds like a very routine placebo effect in trials for a drug that actually does what it's supposed to do. As would 30%. 40-60% starts to sound quite high to me in the context of the standard vaccines that most of us are familiar with (and that have been proven highly effective through lab and epidemiology studies that I doubt would be subject to the kinds of placebo effects you're discussing). But I haven't looked into it so I could well be wrong.
You'll get no disagreements from me re: homeopathy, a discipline based exclusively on "hair of the dog" + "the smaller the dose, the greater the effect" seems neither intuitive nor scientific. And yet many people say it helps ease symptoms. The placebo effect is very real, and I'm perfectly OK with doctors making use of it. I just question how significant it is in the context of the standard suite of vaccines.

Read up on psychiatric medication if you want to see placebos in full force (as in 70% of reported efficacy vanishing when controlled properly). Flu vaccine efficacies are often vanishingly small, we haven't got a good handle on what we may be doing to the evolution of the germs themselves, and the precedent / growing sentiment of and for business and governments mandating their injection into your body is completely fucking dystopian.

There is a marked difference between the reliable and verifiable inoculation from previously deadly diseases and the, "Hey, this might work!" gun slinging of yearly flu vaccines.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Newton, NJ
$ 1.00
Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 6.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Vista, CA
Machine - For Sale
Knoxville, TN
$ 27.95
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 16.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider navajas.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-get-a-sesonal-flu-shot?tu=navajas and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.