View topic image gallery

SpitefulBronzeCob-size_restricted.gif
pasted_image (resized).png
3mbp20 (resized).jpg
3mbi8o (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpg
MoonBearPig (resized).png
Unknown (resized).jpg
Charles-Darwin-quote-about-evolution-from-On-The-Origin-of-Species-1a3090 (resized).jpg
178DD1B0-CC39-4FD9-9AA5-B5E56B3F8799 (resized).png
ot-plasticplague-garbagepatchmap (resized).jpg
a-man-is-known-by-the-company-he-keeps (resized).jpg
Unknown (resized).jpg
bernard (resized).jpeg
3loguy (resized).jpg
big-hunk-4 (resized).jpg
Oprah-Flu-Shot-meme-300x217 (resized).png

This topic is closed.

There are 2,456 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 50.
#251 6 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

The tournament isn't important if you risk other people's health.

Speak for yourself!

#252 6 years ago

I used to like Jim Carrey until he came out and said he was against vaccinations. Now Im like jeez.. what a moron

#253 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

A sick women can work a sick man into the ground.

And a well woman can nag a whipped man into the ground.

#254 6 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

I used to like Jim Carrey until he came out and said he was against vaccinations. Now Im like jeez.. what a moron

You sound very defensive of your beliefs there.

I wonder how many that choose not to get vaccines call those that do morons or even sheep for that matter..

#255 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I wonder how many that choose not to get vaccines call those that do morons.

No offense to anyone here but with that being said - they are morons for not getting vaccinated for Diphtheria, Tetanus, Pertussis (aka Whooping Cough), Hib (Haemophilus influenzae type b), Hepatitis B, Polio, and Pneumococcal Disease.

#256 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

And a well woman can nag a whipped man into the ground.

I've never experienced this. Perhaps I'm not whipped or maybe my woman is not well?

#257 6 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

No offense to anyone here but with that being said - they are morons for not getting vaccinated for Diphtheria, Tetanus, Pertussis (aka Whooping Cough), Hib (Haemophilus influenzae type b), Hepatitis B, Polio, and Pneumococcal Disease.

So how often should one get a tetanus vaccination? Whenever they step on a rusty nail, every 10 years, or once?

If it is anything but once, I guess I am a moron and all those times I got cut by rusty auto parts in the 30 years I worked on them are sure to do me in eventually.

#258 6 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

To a certain degree, yes. There's certainly a time and place for medicine. I just believe its overused and it's not possible to control everything. My mom and my daughter have little drugstores of daily medications. I don't think they need them all...drugs to control everything from mood swings, to depression and even simple headaches. I never even take aspirin when I have a headache, and I ride out the cold or flu. I've had a cold or two in the last decade and haven't had the flu in at least as long. I dropped my depression meds cold turkey over 20 years ago and was scolded by my doctor - I just told myself I don't want to live this way...and I've never felt better and have never looked back.
I see folks on the news panicking that they can't find flu medication...actually freaking out. I feel bad for them, because they've been frightened into believing that they can't survive without it. Maybe they can't, I don't know...it just seems extreme to me. I just don't think we should be trying to control nature as much as we do these days.

Drugs/medication are a completely different area of medicine than vaccinations.

Are you saying vaccinations are overused?

#260 6 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

It sure did:
"The determining factor was what seasonal flu virus caused one’s first flu infection during childhood. Take note the operative word there is “infection” not vaccination"

Natural = infection, Unnatural = vaccination

You do understand that those researchers see no difference, right? That this is entirely an interpolation of erroneous data on your part, which this study neither addresses or affirms, right?
This study doesn't say anything that would help your case. If anything, it hurts it, since it implies that a cocktail of different early vaccinations will provide a certain level of lifelong immune responses that are more broadly efficacious.

#261 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

There are lots of places in the world that are still living this natural approach dream that some of you seem to want. You can always go check them out and see for yourself how it's working.

Yeah, and you have to get vaccinations to go visit them safely.

#262 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

So how often should one get a tetanus vaccination? Whenever they step on a rusty nail, every 10 years, or once?

If it is anything but once, I guess I am a moron and all those times I got cut by rusty auto parts in the 30 years I worked on them are sure to do me in eventually.

you have natural herd immunity and possibly wayout antitetanus naturalification blood.

Also, like, my cousins sisters boyfriend totally drowned in car that plunged off a bridge in 1978 because he was wearing a seatbelt therefore seat belts never saved another life.

#263 6 years ago
Quoted from ThatOneDude:

Yeah, and you have to get vaccinations to go visit them safely.

Not if you are a manly man....

#264 6 years ago

Then I'm living proof it's a bunch of BS. I eat rust for breakfast and my jaw works just fine chewing the stuff up.

Like them saying after you cut yourself with something rusty a vaccination will do you any good. lol.

Another shot and another bill. Keep those greenbacks coming people, in the name of science.

---------------------------

Fake Healer by
Metal Church

I prey upon your morbid fear
Of terminal disease
You won't know the difference
Now it's time for surgery
Another shot, another pill
Two weeks therapy
I take all major credit cards
Your money is what I need

I'm a healer
I will keep you all alive
I'm a healer

A villain at your bedside
Take this and you'll be fine
Severely educated
Just pay your bill on time
I think it's time for another test
I need more of your blood
Sign this affidavit
So my insurance won't go up

I'm a healer
I'm a healer

Research and development
Spend millions every year
You sickly and decrepit ones
Keep my yacht safe on the pier

You're dying on a stretcher
We'll try to save your life
If you can't afford my service
I will let you die
I'm trusted and respected
Says my diploma on the wall
Before I will do anything
I'll give your bank a call

I'm a healer
I'm a healer

#265 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Quoted from o-din:

Like them saying after you cut yourself with something rusty a vaccination will do you any good.

Whoa whoa calm down...no one called you a moron. You're just a guy that thinks rust gives you tetanus that's all.

I mean hey you can quote song lyrics online...that's pretty intelligent

#266 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

You're just a guy that thinks rust gives you tetanus that's all

That's what the educated men of science told me.

#267 6 years ago

Honest question here:

If I don't get the flu vaccine, and am a "carrier " exhibiting no signs, wouldn't my body already be doing what the vaccine would do - producing antibodies etc?

I'm not certain how getting the vaccine helps others if I'm a carrier.

#268 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Then I'm living proof it's a bunch of BS. I eat rust for breakfast and my jaw works just fine chewing the stuff up.

Like them saying after you cut yourself with something rusty a vaccination will do you any good. lol.

Another shot and another bill. Keep those greenbacks coming people, in the name of science.

Not all rust contains tetanus. Minor cuts or surface abrasions from objects that are otherwise relatively clean probably won't harm you, as long as you clean the wound.

Getting deeply jabbed or deeply cut by a rusty object that's been sitting in soil may expose you to tetanus.

https://www.cdc.gov/tetanus/about/causes-transmission.html

#269 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

That's what the educated men of science told me.

I sincerely doubt that and if they did they certainly were not educated on tetanus.

#270 6 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

you have natural herd immunity

That's all I need to know. Some got it and some don't. Some take shots and some don't. Some need lots of medical care, and some don't. Some will only survive living in a bubble, and some won't.

Proves to me we all don't need the same treatments. And there is no reason in my mind that we should.

Quoted from jgentry:

I sincerely doubt that and if they did they certainly were not educated on tetanus.

It was the guy giving the shot when I stuck a nail thru my finger.

If you can't trust his advice and judgement, then who's can you?

#271 6 years ago

Covered better in next post

#272 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

That's all I need to know. Some got it and some don't. Some take shots and some don't. Some need lots of medical care, and some don't. Some will only survive living in a bubble, and some won't. Proves to me we all don't need the same treatments. And there is no reason in my mind that we should.

There's an infinite amount of variables that you cant exactly see all the outcomes. Just because you dont get sick and never had a vaccine doesn't mean your immune to the above. If someone told me that there are decades of scientific research behind a vaccine that can reduce or eliminate the chance of getting sick then wouldn't you take those better odds? There's a reason we've nearly eliminated these diseases. Again, off topic again.

#273 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I wonder how many that choose not to get vaccines call those that do morons or even sheep for that matter.

My take is that I respect everyone's right to have and express an opinion. Doesn't mean I have to respect the opinion itself, or understand how a sentient organism could hold it. That said, calling people on the other side of the debate morons isn't friendly or productive, even if it's objectively defensible in some cases. So my use of the word "moron" many pages back was probably out of line.

A more helpful word for the anti-vaccine crowd is "people." Subject to group-think, confirmation bias and the Dunning-Kruger effect like the rest of us. We're all sadly ill-equipped to make consistently good decisions in this modern world. Doesn't mean its unreasonable to point out when people make bad choices, but a little compassion is probably in order.

Quoted from o-din:

There's more tetanus info on the pamphlet at this link (trigger warning, this appears to be from the Immunization Action Coalition, so don't click if you're allergic):
www.immunize.org/catg.d/p4220.pdf

A few interesting points:
- It's the cow shit on that old nail you need to worry about, not the rust (despite what they told you in school)
- 500 annual cases a year in the pre-vaccine days down to 30 a year today. 10% of cases are fatal
- Most cases are in those with no vaccine or lapsed vaccine (more than 10 years)
- There's still benefit to getting the vaccine after you're exposed.

#274 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

That's all I need to know. Some got it and some don't. Some take shots and some don't. Some need lots of medical care, and some don't. Some will only survive living in a bubble, and some won't.
Proves to me we all don't need the same treatments. And there is no reason in my mind that we should.

It was the guy giving the shot when I stuck a nail thru my finger.
If you can't trust his advice and judgement, then who's can you?

I picture you after a few beers out in your yard arguing with a fence post that untreated fence posts last better the treated ones.

#275 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

That's all I need to know. Some got it and some don't. Some take shots and some don't. Some need lots of medical care, and some don't. Some will only survive living in a bubble, and some won't. Proves to me we all don't need the same treatments. And there is no reason in my mind that we should.

Quoted from hAbO:

There's an infinite amount of variables that you cant exactly see all the outcomes. Just because you dont get sick and never had a vaccine doesn't mean your immune to the above.

Didn't you see his Lee Marvin post above? o-din has pickled his body with booze and it's now an inhospitable environment for life.

#276 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

- It's the cow shit on that old nail you need to worry about, not the rust (despite what they told you in school)

Well that's not what the guy at WalMart shooting him up with a tracking chip said.

#277 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I know you are trolling now, come on man. Might as well say "I'm not hungry, therefore hunger doesn't exist."

#278 6 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

It sure did:
"The determining factor was what seasonal flu virus caused one’s first flu infection during childhood. Take note the operative word there is “infection” not vaccination"
Natural = infection, Unnatural = vaccination

If you read the actual report in full, I don't think you'll take away what the author of the blog post you linked concludes. The full text of the study is here:: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5134739/ If you search that page for the words "vaccine" or "vaccination" you'll see that the authors make no such claim about effectiveness about "natural" or "unnatural" immunity, and their models show the both possibilities: that vaccination does provide appropriate imprinting or does not, because they do not know.

Any conclusion other than the one they pose, " we show that an individual’s first IAV infection confers lifelong protection against severe disease from novel hemagglutinin (HA) subtypes in the same phylogenetic group" is a misuse of the data.

#279 6 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I know you are trolling now, come on man. Might as well say "I'm not hungry, therefore hunger doesn't exist."

Is he ever not trolling?

#280 6 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

Just because you dont get sick and never had a vaccine doesn't mean your immune to the above.

I got all my childhood vaccines and that one scar on my arm itches once in a while. Seems back then they did a dip n stick procedure one kid after another.

But beside that one tetanus shot I have never had any more.

Quoted from jgentry:

I picture you after a few beers out in your yard arguing with a fence post that untreated fence posts last better the treated ones.

No way. Copper is a great wood preservative, but I don't drink the stuff or wear those socks for that matter. That I believe is a subject for a whole nuther thread.

#281 6 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I know you are trolling now,

Quoted from jgentry:

Is he ever not trolling?

Trolling.. the ultimate response to somebody who has a different point of view when you have exhausted all other illogical attempts to sway them.

Ha! Ha Ha!

#282 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Fake Healer by
Metal Church
I prey upon your morbid fear
Of terminal disease
You won't know the difference
Now it's time for surgery
Another shot, another pill
Two weeks therapy
I take all major credit cards
Your money is what I need
I'm a healer
I'm a healer
A villain at your bedside
Take this and you'll be fine
Severely educated
Just pay your bill on time
I think it's time for another test
I need more of your blood
Sign this affidavit
So my insurance won't go up
I'm a healer
I'm a healer
Research and development
Spend millions every year
You sickly and decrepit ones
Keep my yacht safe on the pier
You're dying on a stretcher
We'll try to save your life
If you can't afford my service
I will let you die
I'm trusted and respected
Says my diploma on the wall
Before I will do anything
I'll give your bank a call
I'm a healer
I'm a healer

If I could down vote this x100, I would.

#283 6 years ago

I challenge anyone who got a flu shot to a fist fight. Let’s settle this like adults.

#284 6 years ago
Quoted from WyseGuy:

I challenge anyone who got a flu shot to a fist fight. Let’s settle this like adults.

Sounds like something an immature child would say.

#285 6 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Sounds like something an immature child would say.

Congrats, you almost got the joke.

#286 6 years ago

I got my first flu shot in 1990 in bootcamp. There was no option to refuse the shot. I have had one every year since then, and have not had the flu in my adult life. After the first one, I figured I was probably less likely to fight it off on my own, so I make sure that I get it every year.

#287 6 years ago
Quoted from misterschu:

The authors do mention vaccination a few times, but at no point do they make a claim that future outcomes are improved by either exposure to the virus or vaccines.

Are you serious? This study is specifically about the effects the earliest infections on later immune response.
Things it doesn't talk about(positive or negative):
1) Ongoing vaccinations
2) Your assertion of a difference in immune responses

You are reading your own beliefs into it.

#288 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Trolling.. the ultimate response to somebody who has a different point of view when you have exhausted all other illogical attempts to sway them.
Ha! Ha Ha!

I've stated over and over that I could care less if you take vaccines or not. Your health is not my problem. You like to take different view points and troll as much as possible though. It's usually pretty funny and no one takes it very serious. Maybe troll is not the correct term, maybe pot stirrer is more accurate.

#289 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

I've stated over and over that I could care less if you take vaccines or not. Your health is not my problem. You like to take different view points and troll as much as possible though. It's usually pretty funny and no one takes it very serious. Maybe troll is not the correct term, maybe pot stirrer is more accurate.

How dare he take opposing views! Probably more of a pot smoker than stirrer... freakin’ California hippies!!

#290 6 years ago
Quoted from WyseGuy:

How dare he take opposing views! Probably more of a pot smoker than stirrer... freakin’ California hippies!!

People can have whatever views they want. His are often intentionally opposite just too stir the pot though. It's all in good fun, O-din is usually pretty funny.

#291 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I wonder how many that choose not to get vaccines call those that do morons or even sheep for that matter..

No sheep.. just want to help others not get sick. Im not surprised you didn't like my post since you are from California where they have measles outbreaks. I mean they had one at Disneyland! Welcome to California.

#292 6 years ago

This has been a fairly civil discussion and most have posted their reasons for taking or not taking a flu shot. I've posted my view and at no time did I say those that were were doing me a disservice.

There are a few however that have insisted that those that choose not to are doing them and everybody else a disservice or are just plain morons. So for those few and ONLY those few I am going to ask a serious question-

Are you overweight or obese in any way? If so you should go on a diet and lose that weight because you are unhealthy that way and the overburdened health care industry does not need the extra work and expense it will take to try fix the problems you have caused by stuffing your face. There is no reason you need to eat so much while so many people are starving elsewhere. Also most normal people don't want to be exposed to whatever diseases you might carry because of the unhealthy state you are in.

#293 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

This has been a fairly civil discussion and most have posted their reasons for taking or not taking a flu shot. I've posted my view and at no time did I say those that were were doing me a disservice.
There are a few however that have insisted that those that choose not to are doing them and everybody else a disservice or are just plain morons. So for those few and ONLY those few I am going to ask a serious question-
Are you overweight or obese in any way? If so you have to go on a diet and lose that weight because you are unhealthy that way and the overburdened health care industry does not need the extra work and expense it will take to try fix the problems you have caused by stuffing your face. There is no reason you need to eat so much while so many people are starving elsewhere. Also most normal people don't want to be exposed to whatever diseases you might carry because of the unhealthy state you are in.

Whats your weight and height?

#294 6 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Whats your weight and height?

5' 11" 175 lbs.

#295 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Are you overweight or obese in any way? If so you have to go on a diet and lose that weight because you are unhealthy that way and the overburdened health care industry does not need the extra work and expense it will take to try fix the problems you have caused by stuffing your face. There is no reason you need to eat so much while so many people are starving elsewhere. Also most normal people don't want to be exposed to whatever diseases you might carry because of the unhealthy state you are in.

As a borderline fat guy that needs to lose a few pounds, those are all fair points. Except you said "you have to." I think everyone here has been saying "you should."

Oh, and if America isn't majority-fat yet it's heading that way, so your reference to "normal people" may be out of whack with the norm. Otherwise you're all good.

#296 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

As a borderline fat guy that needs to lose a few pounds, those are all fair points. Except you said "you have to." I think everyone here has is saying "you should."

The you have to was along the same lines as you have to get a shot. Nobody has to do anything with a few exceptions.

But I will edit it to make it less harsh.

#297 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Not sure if this is directed at me or not as I haven't called anyone a moron but if it is I'm 5'10 and 165lbs and am not fat. I know odds were in your favor with this being a pinball forum though.

#298 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

5' 11" 175 lbs.

Not bad, thanks for not eating too much. I always had a theory that thin people are constipated.. are you constipated a lot?

#299 6 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Not bad, thanks for not eating too much. I always had a theory that thin people are constipated.. are you constipated a lot?

Nothing a few California street tacos can't fix.

#300 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Nothing a few California street tacos can't fix.

Since we are talking about vaccinations.. just make sure you are vaccinated for hepatitis before you get those "street" tacos my man.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 16.00
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Eau Claire, WI
$ 1.00
Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball

1,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Myers, FL
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 12.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RavSpec

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

4,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Quincy, FL
$ 599.95
Cabinet - Toppers
Hi-Rez Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 26.95
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Woolwich Township, NJ
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 2,456 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 50.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-get-a-sesonal-flu-shot/page/6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.