View topic image gallery

SpitefulBronzeCob-size_restricted.gif
pasted_image (resized).png
3mbp20 (resized).jpg
3mbi8o (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpg
MoonBearPig (resized).png
Unknown (resized).jpg
Charles-Darwin-quote-about-evolution-from-On-The-Origin-of-Species-1a3090 (resized).jpg
178DD1B0-CC39-4FD9-9AA5-B5E56B3F8799 (resized).png
ot-plasticplague-garbagepatchmap (resized).jpg
a-man-is-known-by-the-company-he-keeps (resized).jpg
Unknown (resized).jpg
bernard (resized).jpeg
3loguy (resized).jpg
big-hunk-4 (resized).jpg
Oprah-Flu-Shot-meme-300x217 (resized).png

This topic is closed.

There are 2,456 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 50.
#201 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I am from Ann Arbor and I can tell you you didn't have the kind before 1990 friend.

That is true.I didn't even take my first hit until 92-93 but I can assure you from 1995 on its been nothing but kind. Back then you could fly back from Cali with a qp strapped to your legs.

#202 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

That was caused by the 12 pack o-din bought in lieu of a flu shot this year ...

My auto incorrect system breaking down.

#203 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Get some exercise too. Even just walking is better than sitting watching TV.

But drinking is better than walking
https://www.ajc.com/news/world/alcohol-better-than-exercise-live-past-study-says/l7PQghvcLppvNaJcxqxXjL/

#204 6 years ago

Haven't had a flu shot since my teenage years and I can't recall the last time I caught the flu.

#205 6 years ago

Get the Flu vaccination every year and it has served me well, haven't had the flu in over 20 years at least. I started getting the vaccine back in the very early 90's because I have COPD problems and just a normal cold can put thrust me into pneumonia within a few days.

#206 6 years ago

Looks like I have a good chance! I drink 18% + I exercise 11% + I’m overweight 3% + Pinball 2 hours a day 21% + I drink coffee 10% = 63% less likely to die before 90! I’ll take it

#207 6 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

Looks like I have a good chance! I drink 18% + I exercise 11% + I’m overweight 3% + Pinball 2 hours a day 21% + I drink coffee 10% = 63% less likely to die before 90! I’ll take it

I think if you also move a pinball machine up or down stairs that accounts for a year's worth of exercise.

#208 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

And what could possibly go wrong here?
"One group of researchers recovered the virus from the bodies of frozen victims, and found that transfection in animals caused a rapid progressive respiratory failure and death through a cytokine storm (overreaction of the body's immune system)."

That is why that strain killed mostly healthy young adults. Their own bodies reacted so strongly to fight it that it caused death (cytokine). The fear is that one of the bird types or more serious ones will transmit to humans.

And for those of you that are over 50 and have NOT had a colonoscopy, my father has stage IV and just finished his first round of Chemo. And....he never had one which is something I assumed he did.

#209 6 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

And for those of you that are over 50 and have NOT had a colonoscopy, my father has stage IV and just finished his first round of Chemo. And....he never had one which is something I assumed he did.

Turning 50 this year and my wife just reminded me also that I have to start having my yearly. Yay

#210 6 years ago

If you’re healthy, you can (usually) survive the flu.

You get a flu shot to save other people.

#211 6 years ago

Herd immunity is real.

#212 6 years ago
Quoted from lancestorm:

Herd immunity is real.

The increasing herd immunity associated with a natural defense to a virus and the accompanying decrease in mortality has been interrupted by vaccination. This makes it difficult to predict how a vaccinated population responds to a new strain of that virus that has escaped the vaccination protection, and that population that is not immune to the new mutation it is at risk again. Natural herd immunity following exposure has been destroyed by vaccination.

#213 6 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Natural herd immunity

That's anti-vax nonsense. That phrase appears on almost every anti-vax website. Straight from this guy:

Andrew Jeremy Wakefield (born 1957)[1][2] is a disgraced British former gastroenterologist and medical researcher who was struck off the UK medical register for his fraudulent 1998 research paper and other misconduct in support of the now-discredited claim that there was a link between the administration of the measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) vaccine, and the appearance of autism and bowel disease.[3][4][5][6][7]

#214 6 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

The increasing herd immunity associated with a natural defense to a virus and the accompanying decrease in mortality has been interrupted by vaccination. This makes it difficult to predict how a vaccinated population responds to a new strain of that virus that has escaped the vaccination protection, and that population that is not immune to the new mutation it is at risk again. Natural herd immunity following exposure has been destroyed by vaccination.

I’m not following your logic. This could make sense if you’re talking antibiotics (keeps the human population from evolving protections to bugs by keeping the “weak” alive, while selecting for the heartiest strains of bacteria). But how would it apply to virus innoculations, which work by triggering an immune response that creates the very “immunity” at issue here?

Also, what do you mean by “natural?” If you mean “how things were before humans created civilization” then virtually nothing you do in your life is “natural.” And all of your behaviors, “natural” or otherwise, will in some way affect how the viruses that use you as a host evolve. You’re their home, and if you change, they either change to keep up or they die.

#215 6 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

That wasn't a question that was asked. Carlin said "cover the toilet seat" - meaning use those paper covers. The answer is no, I don't use the covers if it's clean. If there's standing liquid, I'll probably just go elsewhere.

What if there is dookie on it?

#216 6 years ago

Directly from that website:

What causes Guillain-Barré syndrome?
No one yet knows why Guillain-Barré — which is not contagious — strikes some people and not others. Nor does anyone know exactly what sets the disease in motion.

#217 6 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

I was talking about this with some friends recently, but what happened to our friend Eggbert really hit home with a lot of us.

What happened to @eggbert52?

#218 6 years ago
Quoted from Puffdanny:

That is true.I didn't even take my first hit until 92-93 but I can assure you from 1995 on its been nothing but kind. Back then you could fly back from Cali with a qp strapped to your legs.

Hey Danny, let’s be friends

#220 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

. But how would it apply to virus innoculations...
Also, what do you mean by “natural?” .

I'm not sure what you are saying by most of that statement, but natural immunity by definition:
Naturally acquired active immunity occurs when a person is exposed to a live pathogen, and develops a primary immune response, which leads to immunological memory. This type of immunity is "natural" because it is not induced by deliberate exposure.

It applies to both viral and bacterial pathogens.

#221 6 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Every year the Flu strain is different..and the flu shot is only designed to prevent one. The percentage of effectiveness is low. I believe this year was 10% effective. It’s like buying extended service agreement for a new appliance....it might come in handy if something happens. But what are the chances of something happening in the warranty period? No flu shot for me. Build natural tolerances.

Seems like every year the good ole gov admits to not having the right strain in the vaccine.

#222 6 years ago
Quoted from Chicoman:

You are hilarious! Show me one! ONE DOUBLE BLIND PLACEBO CONTROLLED STUDY of the efficacy of any vaccines! THERE ARE NONE! You know how much education doctors get on vaccines? They get a sheet of paper that says here's the vaccines and this is when you typically give them to children. That's it! NO EDUCATION AT ALL. They are just told....oh vaccines yes everyone needs them and everyone should get them! HAVE A NICE DAY!
Vaccines are dangerous! Every vaccine not only contains mercury but Nagalase an enzyme that basically shuts your immune system off so your body will produce anti-bodies from the vaccine. In every cancer patient Nagalase levels in their blood is off the charts!
Also vaccines create anti-bodies by mutating with a person's DNA. Cancer is caused by MUTATION! There is nothing worse you can do than put a vaccine in your system.

All due respect to doctors, but they are trained to just put you on prescriptions. You feel down, take these. It bothers my stomache, well try this. eventually your on so many meds , your a zombie.

#223 6 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

I'm not sure what you are saying by most of that statement, but natural immunity by definition:
Naturally acquired active immunity occurs when a person is exposed to a live pathogen, and develops a primary immune response, which leads to immunological memory. This type of immunity is "natural" because it is not induced by deliberate exposure.

You forgot to mention the massive amount of human die off that occurs to build this natural immunity. Sure, why no go back to huge amounts of the population dying off from illness that can be prevented. People are always OK with this until it actually affects them.

Quoted from chad:

All due respect to doctors, but they are trained to just put you on prescriptions. You feel down, take these. It bothers my stomache, well try this. eventually your on so many meds , your a zombie.

Just like in every profession there is a range from outstanding to poor. If you truly feel this way about your doctor you need to find another one. There are tons of excellent ones that are passionate about healthcare that continue to work and learn and actually want to help you.

#224 6 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Working with the definition you provide, how is it that "artificial immunity," which I'm assuming is what you'd call immunity induced by exposure to a dead or weakened pathogen, works any differently from "natural herd immunity?" The exposure pathway is different, but once your body has the antibodies, how does their origin point impact the development of "herd immunity" in years to come? I don't follow the logic.

Also I'd imagine the "natural immunity" that builds as a result of the flu passing through an unvaccinated community faces the same challenge as "artificial immunity," which is that the flu can evolve substantially from season to season, so last year's immunity (however acquired) is often ineffective against this year's new strain of flu. Or are you suggesting that "natural immunity" has some special characteristics that make it more effective against new strains of the flu in subsequent years?

#225 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

You forgot to mention the massive amount of human die off that occurs to build this natural immunity. Sure, why no go back to huge amounts of the population dying off from illness that can be prevented. People are always OK with this until it actually affects them.

Just like in every profession there is a range from outstanding to poor. If you truly feel this way about your doctor you need to find another one. There are tons of excellent ones that are passionate about healthcare that continue to work and learn and actually want to help you.

Mine is fine. Just have to have all questions for him ready and fast, as they always seem to be in a hurry. I AM Not currently on any meds, Especialy any ssri uptake inhibitors...

#226 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Working with the definition you provide, how is it that "artificial immunity," which I'm assuming is what you'd call immunity induced by exposure to a dead or weakened pathogen, works any differently from "natural herd immunity?"?

You can look this up everywhere.
http://bolenreport.com/natural-immunity-better-flu-vaccines-top-ucla-researchers-claim/

#227 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Just like in every profession there is a range from outstanding to poor.

It reminds me of the old joke:
What do you call the person who graduated at the bottom of their class in medical school?
Doctor.

On a more serious note, talk to your doctor. If they suck and it's possible, pick a different one.

#228 6 years ago
Quoted from SirScott:

What if there is dookie on it?

OOH-415-AQ_lg (resized).jpgOOH-415-AQ_lg (resized).jpg

#229 6 years ago

Did you read that link yourself?
The article cites an actual study that says that exposure to flu strains as a child affects the way that person's immunity changes as they age. That's it. There was zero mention of "natural" versus "unnatural" immunity(because immune responses are not somehow different because the virus was alive, dead, mostly inactive, etc).
EVERYTHING after the deliberately mischaracterized description of the study was bald assertions. It was not supported by the study that they quoted, and it is not supported elsewhere. The author starts to lump in the standard anti-vaxx arguments after a bit, and it is just a nice stew of pseudo-scientific bullshit from that point on.

Edit: here is an abstract of the actual study, in case anyone else wants to dig in without wading through the bullshit first: http://science.sciencemag.org/content/354/6313/722

#230 6 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

That's anti-vax nonsense. That phrase appears on almost every anti-vax website. Straight from this guy:
Andrew Jeremy Wakefield (born 1957)[1][2] is a disgraced British former gastroenterologist and medical researcher who was struck off the UK medical register for his fraudulent 1998 research paper and other misconduct in support of the now-discredited claim that there was a link between the administration of the measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) vaccine, and the appearance of autism and bowel disease.[3][4][5][6][7]

So, someone calls out the government or big pharma and gets discredited. . . . .

I'm not saying they weren't bat shit crazy, but it does make me wonder if the incident doesn't require some more digging.

I'm melting foil right now to get a good fit for my hat

#231 6 years ago

25jw39 (resized).jpg25jw39 (resized).jpg

#232 6 years ago
Quoted from ThatOneDude:

. There was zero mention of "natural" versus "unnatural" immunity

It sure did:
"The determining factor was what seasonal flu virus caused one’s first flu infection during childhood. Take note the operative word there is “infection” not vaccination"

Natural = infection, Unnatural = vaccination

#233 6 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Quoted from wayout440:

I don't quite understand the point you're trying to make.

Are you saying people shouldn't be vaccinated against diseases and let nature take its course? If that was the case, we would still be dealing with smallpox, measles, mumps, rubella, polio, diphtheria, whooping cough, tetanus, hepatitis B, tuberculosis, plus a few others that were quite widespread and very deadly in many cases the early-mid 1900's.

Vaccines have pretty much eliminated those diseases. They haven't started coming back until recently when people have started opting out of taking the vaccines that prevented people from being susceptible to them.

For people who don't have a fully working immune system (or one at all--either temporarily or on a permanent basis, or can't take the vaccine because of other medical complications/conditions)--they can't fight off these diseases on their own, and rely on "herd immunity"--which means that everyone around them who is capable of being vaccinated is, and therefore can't be carriers for it or potentially pass it along to that immuno-compromised individual. If they do catch a disease like one of the ones listed above, it can basically be a death sentence for them.

Flu vaccines are in a slightly different category since there is some educated guesswork that needs to happen in order to figure out what strain of the flu virus might be making the rounds, so effectiveness may vary from year to year. The influenza virus has so many strains and mutates so much that there is no "one-and-done" vaccine like with other diseases.

#234 6 years ago

Some people on this site are wayout there in terms of scientific knowledge and conspiracy theories.

#235 6 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Some people on this site are wayout there in terms of scientific knowledge and conspiracy theories.

As always when talking aboot "real" topics you have to remember you're audience. We all know pinball people are total nutjobs and half of them have the reefer madness/paranoia so this isn't a surprise; or shouldn't be.
More schooling might help too but they have conspiracies aboot "book learnings" as well.

#236 6 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

I couldn't agree more.

When people are trying to convince other people that a scientific approach always over rules a natural approach, that sounds like a conspiracy to me.

#237 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I couldn't agree more.
When people are trying to convince other people that a scientific approach over rules a natural approach, that sounds like a conspiracy to me.

There are lots of places in the world that are still living this natural approach dream that some of you seem to want. You can always go check them out and see for yourself how it's working.

One thing I've noticed about people is that they do not believe in science or medicine and they avoid it like the plague until they have to have it and then expect everyone drop everything and use science to save their ass.

#238 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

There are lots of places in the world that are still living this natural approach dream that some of you seem to want. You can always go check them out and see for yourself how it's working.

One thing I've noticed about people is that they do not believe in science or medicine and they avoid it like the plague until they have to have it and then expect everyone drop everything and use science to save their ass.

Note I added the word "always".

These conspirators would like everybody to think that science always has the answer. When in reality many times the scientific method does way more damage than good.

#239 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Bro I ain't going there...places are riddled with withcraft.

#240 6 years ago

Wow. Based on this thread Pinside may have to add vaccinations on their list of things not to talk about.

To answer the OPs actual question - I get the vaccine now that I have kids (we all get it). I’m paranoid about what they may bring home and the vaccine may help reduce the impact even if it fails to prevent it. To be honest though I’m realizing that I may be more likely to catch the flu from work. I’ve noticed a lot of selfish inconsiderate people who come in really sick (worse than a cold). I think in their twisted minds they believe people respect them for working through illness. They don’t realize the looks they get are disgust and fear... definitely not respect.

#241 6 years ago
Quoted from brainmegaphone:

To be honest though I’m realizing that I may be more likely to catch the flu from work. I’ve noticed a lot of selfish inconsiderate people who come in really sick (worse than a cold). I think in their twisted minds they believe people respect them for working through illness.

There are those that will come into work and announce they are sick.

How proud they must be to be able to get off up off their death beds and go out and conduct business as usual. Mostly scientific types I guess because their work is never done.

#242 6 years ago

If you’re a parent with small kids and aren’t getting them flu shots or vaccinations nor a flu shot for yourself; you’re doing them and the rest of us parents a disservice.

For everyone else, I could care less what you do. But if you use your sick days for vacation rather than when you’re sick and come into work sick and come into my cubicle and start touching my projects, keyboard, mouse, etc...then we have a problem. And this happens in the workplace more than you could imagine.

#243 6 years ago

My wife has a reduced immune system, so my family gets the flu shot to reduce the chances to having it kill her. The kids can't do the mist, as that introduces a live virus, which would cause problems as well. It's also helpful the more other people that get shots/vaccines as it puts her at risk if they are sick. At work I can send home the people that are sick to work remotely.

Big fan of science and facts.

#244 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Are you saying people shouldn't be vaccinated against diseases and let nature take its course?

To a certain degree, yes. There's certainly a time and place for medicine. I just believe its overused and it's not possible to control everything. My mom and my daughter have little drugstores of daily medications. I don't think they need them all...drugs to control everything from mood swings, to depression and even simple headaches. I never even take aspirin when I have a headache, and I ride out the cold or flu. I've had a cold or two in the last decade and haven't had the flu in at least as long. I dropped my depression meds cold turkey over 20 years ago and was scolded by my doctor - I just told myself I don't want to live this way...and I've never felt better and have never looked back.

I see folks on the news panicking that they can't find flu medication...actually freaking out. I feel bad for them, because they've been frightened into believing that they can't survive without it. Maybe they can't, I don't know...it just seems extreme to me. I just don't think we should be trying to control nature as much as we do these days.

#245 6 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

My mom and my daughter have little drugstores of daily medications. I don't think they need them all...drugs to control everything from mood swings, to depression and even simple headaches. I never even take aspirin when I have a headache, and I ride out the cold or flu.

That's the basic difference between women and the real men in this country.

#246 6 years ago

No - because it's my body and my choice. I don't need any other reason, despite the hard sell that many make.

#247 6 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

To a certain degree, yes. There's certainly a time and place for medicine.

baby steps

#248 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

oooo.

Anyway, we've also been taught as men that when you get sick, you still get your ass in to work and get the job done. You better not be able to move if you call in sick.

#249 6 years ago

Please get your flu shots.

You aren't just protecting yourself, you are protecting others who are more vulnerable.

If we are on the subject, try to consider ways you can reduce the spread of pathogens at tournaments and events as well. Carry hand sanitizer, wash your hands frequently, don't rub your face, etc...

Above all, consider staying at home if you are sick. If you've had a fever in the past 24 hours, you don't belong anywhere near a ballroom full of people sharing germs. The tournament isn't important if you risk other people's health.

#250 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

This one is the funniest of all to me. A sick women can work a sick man into the ground. Men are all the biggest babies in the world when they are sick. I'm not sure what's different or why but a sick women seems to still function while a sick man does nothing but lay in bed and whine.

Most of these real men that you speak of are the same tough guys crying for medical help and trying to find Jesus when their time comes.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 199.95
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
€ 8.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods
Other
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Plastics
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply
Decals
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Canton, OH
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 18.95
$ 6.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
3,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Jesup, GA
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 2,456 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 50.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-get-a-sesonal-flu-shot/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.