View topic image gallery

SpitefulBronzeCob-size_restricted.gif
pasted_image (resized).png
3mbp20 (resized).jpg
3mbi8o (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpg
MoonBearPig (resized).png
Unknown (resized).jpg
Charles-Darwin-quote-about-evolution-from-On-The-Origin-of-Species-1a3090 (resized).jpg
178DD1B0-CC39-4FD9-9AA5-B5E56B3F8799 (resized).png
ot-plasticplague-garbagepatchmap (resized).jpg
a-man-is-known-by-the-company-he-keeps (resized).jpg
Unknown (resized).jpg
bernard (resized).jpeg
3loguy (resized).jpg
big-hunk-4 (resized).jpg
Oprah-Flu-Shot-meme-300x217 (resized).png

This topic is closed.

There are 2,456 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 50.
#151 6 years ago
Quoted from Puffdanny:

20 years ago you never even heard of a flu shot and now if you don't get it you're going to die?

Shit changes, 25 years ago you probably where spending half your day picking seeds out of your Mexican brick weed!

#152 6 years ago

Flu season is so bad in So Cal this year, the hospitals are setting up tents in the parking lots to handle the overflow and many people have already died from it.

Apparently whatever flu shots they were giving out did not cover this particular strain.

#153 6 years ago

NOPE. Man has walked the earth and survived/thrived for 6 million years, modern man for 200,000 years. Yet suddenly were not gonna make it to spring without a flu shot. I work in a hospital and am exposed to it all. The flu bounces off my body's own natural immune system like ping pong balls.

#154 6 years ago
Quoted from swillie:

The flu bounces off my body's own natural immune system like ping pong balls.

#155 6 years ago
Quoted from swillie:

NOPE. Man has walked the earth and survived/thrived for 6 million years, modern man for 200,000 years.

Damn straight....they didn't need to pussy ass plague vaccines. Or tetanus, diphtheria. Or hepititis...or um goddamn Polio.
Chicken Pox or measles..none of that garbage. I mean Whats the worst the Flu has ever killed...like 80-100 million people in a year; Pathetic!

#156 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Whats the worst the Flu has ever killed...like 80-100 million people in a year

1918 or something like that.

People are in for a real shocker when the next flu plague hits and their little shots do nothing to prevent it.

#157 6 years ago

Thanks for all the great opinions, and for keeping the discussion somewhat civil. I was talking about this with some friends recently, but what happened to our friend Eggbert really hit home with a lot of us.

#158 6 years ago
Quoted from Puffdanny:

I trust nothing the fda or our government tries to force on us.20 years ago you never even heard of a flu shot and now if you don't get it you're going to die? Fuck that sounds like the Tuskegee Experiment to me.

Scientific progress?! How the fuck does that work?!!

I am currently sitting in an office filled with people who have PhDs in medicine, molecular biology and computational biology. The state of the art today is often something no one had even thought of 20 years ago. And just wait until you see what the next 20 years has in store(or not, you might be dead from the flu). So, that argument is just silly.

I would also note that there is an entirely negative correlation between those people and a distrust in vaccines(or the FDA, or the CDC, etc). But, then, they have spent the majority of their lives in studying these issues, and don't rely on uncontrolled anecdotal data for decision making. So, there is a clear bias towards objective evidence in that group, and you should weigh that factor when deciding whether to trust them or Jenny Mcarthy/Alex Jones/who the fuck ever.

#159 6 years ago
Quoted from swillie:

NOPE. Man has walked the earth and survived/thrived for 6 million years, modern man for 200,000 years. Yet suddenly were not gonna make it to spring without a flu shot.

...said no one at all.....
*sigh*
The species will survive it. Sure. Individuals, on the other hand, are another matter. But, screw it, grandma was getting too old anyway....

#160 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Shit changes, 25 years ago you probably where spending half your day picking seeds out of your Mexican brick weed!

I've always had the CHRONIC that's why I'm called Puff Danny

#161 6 years ago

Never had one, never will. The elite don’t get em, what’s that tell ya. Because they know better.
Two words...zombie..apocalypse. Ever see I am legend? Flu shots priming people.

#162 6 years ago

Man keeps trying, but in the end nature always prevails.

When this planet can no longer support the rapid population growth it is undergoing now, it is only natural a plague of epic proportions will come around and restore some sort of balance. I'm just a passenger and a spectator in the grand scale of things.

#163 6 years ago
Quoted from ThatOneDude:

...said no one at all.....

Hey wait, I just said that. You callin' me no one?

#164 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

All well fine and good, but you didn't answer the key question - do you wipe off the toilet seat?
If I see standing liquid, I'm wiping it off. Not because I think it'll protect me from germs, but because I don't want to sit in urine.

That wasn't a question that was asked. Carlin said "cover the toilet seat" - meaning use those paper covers. The answer is no, I don't use the covers if it's clean. If there's standing liquid, I'll probably just go elsewhere.

#165 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Man keeps trying, but in the end nature always prevails.
When this planet can no longer support the rapid population growth it is undergoing now, it is only natural a plague of epic proportions will come around and restore some sort of balance. I'm just a passenger and a spectator in the grand scale of things.

Well said

#166 6 years ago

When shit does hit the fan, I'm counting on science and doctors to save us all! lol.

#167 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Man keeps trying, but in the end :applause:nature always prevails.

#168 6 years ago

We trust our Doctors, right?

For 40 years Ive asked my doctors the same question as I did of all of them this year?
"Do you take a Flu shot?" "Do you get one for your wife and family?"
All these years, they answered, "No".
This year, several changed to "yes", early on, but replied its hit and miss with the wide range of varieties in the last 6 weeks.

Cant say anything for anyone else, just me.

#169 6 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

For 40 years Ive asked my doctors the same question as I did of all of them this year?
"Do you take a Flu shot?" "Do you get one for your wife and family?"
All these years, they answered, "No".
This year, several changed to "yes", early on, but replied its hit and miss with the wide range of varieties in the last 6 weeks.
Cant say anything for anyone else, just me.

I always get a flu shot, as do my entire family. I work in healthcare. 99% of my colleagues get a flu shot. Very disappointed to see the poll results.

#170 6 years ago
Quoted from Puffdanny:

I trust nothing the fda or our government tries to force on us.20 years ago you never even heard of a flu shot and now if you don't get it you're going to die? Fuck that sounds like the Tuskegee Experiment to me.

Most people dont even know about The Tuskegee Experiment and wouldn’t believe it even if you told them about it.

#171 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

So you take a vaccine just because its free??? Lol......WOOOOOOOOOW JUST WOW!! I dont even know what to say.

No, I take a vaccine because I don't want to get the flu. I don't have any excuses not to get it when it's free and I don't have to leave work to get one. Doesn't seem like it's that complicated to me.

#172 6 years ago

I personally do not invite anything into my body that is not absolutely essential medically.This includes pills as well.
There is a lot to consider when getting any type of injection.
Is everything truly sterile?
What is in this syringe?
Are they positive it is that?
What are the side effects?
What is the benefit that will outweigh those concerns?
Is it worth it?

For me it is a no these days but things may change or become more clear at some point .
I always tell my doctor “no injections for me unless completely medically necessary today” during my yearly physical because I remember even a couple years ago people died of meningitis from a anti inflammatory steroid shot supply that was tainted. I think someone even went to jail over it.
It isn’t the vaccines that scare me it is the process and accountability behind them. Some doctor or nurse walking into a room with a needle full of who knows what,handled who knows how by who knows who has killed people just like the flu.

So while I wouldn’t discourage anyone that is comfortable with the process and unknowns to do it I skip it because even though I would like to avoid the flu as well as possible I have other concerns on my mind.
My thought is if I do everything I can to avoid getting it(wash hands,eat well,exercise,sleep well,don’t eat out during flu season,avoid the public as much as possible during this time,observe personal space limits of a few feet,do not touch face,mouth or eyes unless hands are clean,ok I am nuts I know but it helps etc)then that is my best bet because these are things I can control and play a real part in.

#173 6 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

If you have a life threatening emergency, hope you get a good one and not some hack. They do save lives.

It's been about five years since I had to go see one, but it was fairly obvious I shouldn't let that melanoma on the back of my leg try to heal itself for another year.

I don't go unless something is seriously wrong. Not for a cough or some antibiotics to kill a flu, because that won't work anyway. Or a shot if I'm feeling healthy. But again, they can and do save lives.

#174 6 years ago
Quoted from High_End_Pins:

I do everything I can to avoid getting it

An asymptomatic carrier (healthy carrier or just carrier) is a person or other organism that has contracted an infectious disease, but who displays no symptoms. Although unaffected by the disease themselves, carriers can transmit it to others.

YOU can be 100% fine and still infect others and put their lives at risk(and never know it)--sadly hitting close to home for some people on here. Vaccines are more effective with more people vaccinated.

#175 6 years ago

I used to get sick every January. I started the flu shots about 15 to 20 years ago, and rarely got sick after that. This last year I have been sick a few times, and I caught the flu bad in January. I will still take the flu shot.

Here is a few flu based information from what I understand, please correct if wrong:

It is not the US government that designs the flu shot, it is WHO, World Health Organization.

Up to a few years ago the flu shot would protect against 3 strains, but now it protects against 4 strains.

The flu of 1918 killed 50 million people world wide. It killed many younger people. The reason for this is that the 1918 flu was a variation of a flu prior to 1889, and younger people were not exposed to it, and did not have a level of immunity. The swine flu was a variation of the 1918 flu.

You cannot get the exact same flu strain again. Once you have a flu, you will develop antibodies against that exact strain.

You can catch a few different strains of a flu in one year.

Pine needle tea can help against the flu. Pine needle tea gives shikimic acid, which is a key ingredient in Tamiflu.

Repeated vaccination for flu is highly effective in preventing severe infection on older adults.

From my understanding above, I will continue to take the flu shots. Since variations of a flu seam to resurface after 30 to 40 years, if you have antibodies from a flu shot that are similar to a current flu, it may help you not catch or lower the effects of that strain. For this reasoning, take a flu shot now may help to protect me in 30 years when a variation of that strain will come out. I feel taking the flu shot is insurance for the future when I am older and weaker.

I am sure some people will dispute some of the above information, please do not be personal.

#176 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

If you have a life threatening emergency, hope you get a good one and not some hack. They do save lives.
It's been about five years since I had to go see one, but it was fairly obvious I shouldn't let that melanoma on the back of my leg try to heal itself for another year.
I don't go unless something is seriously wrong. Not for a cough or some antibiotics to kill a flu, because that won't work anyway. Or a shot if I'm feeling healthy. But again, they can and do save lives.

Not wise but it's your life. Yearly screening with full blood panels are key to catching things early and adding years to your life in many cases. Most insurance covers it and it's foolish not to do. Pinside will be boring in a few years if you don't start taking better care of yourself.

#177 6 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

An asymptomatic carrier (healthy carrier or just carrier) is a person or other organism that has contracted an infectious disease, but who displays no symptoms. Although unaffected by the disease themselves, carriers can transmit it to others.
YOU can be 100% fine and still infect others and put their lives at risk(and never know it)

9--hilarious-memes (resized).jpg9--hilarious-memes (resized).jpg

#178 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Most people dont even know about The Tuskegee Experiment and wouldn’t believe it even if you told them about it.

This young punk does and I'm also familiar with our government poisoning our troops in Vietnam with Agent Orange and then denying it.my father fought his battle with the government over his Agent Orange poisoning for years while they denied it all,he used to try to raise awareness and was the guest on some TV shows back in the 80's like Kelly And Company.in the end he had a miserable painful life because of it and died at the age of 56 just a few short years after they finally admitted what they did.and now I'm supposed to trust them?

#179 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I don't go unless something is seriously wrong.

dude, get your plumbing checked every 2-3 years at least regardless of how you feel if you are an "older" individual. I felt 100% great and hit a super jackpot on my ?what's the word for waiting 5 years between? physical. Would've been dead inside of 2-3 years if they had not caught it. Medicine can be your friend.

#180 6 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

dude, get your plumbing checked every 2-3 years at least regardless of how you feel if you are an "older" individual.

Thanks! But, I'm healthy as a horse can be in this environment. And I'm eating four day old KFC just to prove it.

#181 6 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

YOU can be 100% fine and still infect others and put their lives at risk(and never know it)--sadly hitting close to home for some people on here. Vaccines are more effective with more people vaccinated.

I have a 17 year old son that is both severely autistic and Type 1 diabetic.
We have to count carbs and inject insulin at every meal give him a shower and wipe his ass. We have to hold his hand everywhere we go and lock all the doors so he can’t get out. He spends his day rocking back and forth chanting the names of local streets.
I am not anti vaccine as a result but I am cautious. You to have understand sometimes people experience things that shake their confidence in something because they are living it whether it seems rational or not it is about personal life experiences and what ifs after the fact.
True or false,right or wrong doesn’t matter it is those experiences that is what shapes our beliefs.

#182 6 years ago

I feel my immune system is pretty strong and don't get the shot. The rest of my family all got the flu shot and came down with the flu this year. If I ate like crap, was extremley overweight, smoked, drank too much, didn't take vitamins and didn't exercise then I would get it. If I listened to my doctor about going on medication for Gout five years ago instead of dropping weight, eating better, drinking less and staying hydrated then I would probably still have Gout and be on multiple meds with all the bad side effects to boot.

#183 6 years ago

I have a 17 year old son that is both severely autistic and Type 1 diabetic.
We have to count carbs and injection insulin at every meal give him a shower and wipe his ass. We have to hold his hand everywhere we go and lock all the doors so he can’t get out. He spends his day rocking back and forth chanting the names of local streets.
I am not anti vaccine as a result but I am cautious. You have understand sometimes people experience things that shake their confidence in something because they are living it whether it seems rational or not it is about personal life experiences and what ifs after the fact.
True or false,right or wrong doesn’t matter it those experiences that is what shapes our beliefs.

I can relate to this at least partially. My daughter was diagnosed with type1 diabetes at 8 months old. She developed a fever after getting shots and got severely dehydrated and almost died. When they figured it out her blood glucose was 1200. Coincidence? Don’t know. I know for sure that anything that hurts them hurts us 1000 times more. Very sorry to hear about your son Chris. I can only imagine how tough that must be.

#184 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

I took you to mean that "both 13% and 60% are well within placebo range." And in some trials, the placebo effect is presumably 100% (i.e. where the drug is completely innefective, so any observed effect is placebo). That said, 13% sounds like a very routine placebo effect in trials for a drug that actually does what it's supposed to do. As would 30%. 40-60% starts to sound quite high to me in the context of the standard vaccines that most of us are familiar with (and that have been proven highly effective through lab and epidemiology studies that I doubt would be subject to the kinds of placebo effects you're discussing). But I haven't looked into it so I could well be wrong.
You'll get no disagreements from me re: homeopathy, a discipline based exclusively on "hair of the dog" + "the smaller the dose, the greater the effect" seems neither intuitive nor scientific. And yet many people say it helps ease symptoms. The placebo effect is very real, and I'm perfectly OK with doctors making use of it. I just question how significant it is in the context of the standard suite of vaccines.

Read up on psychiatric medication if you want to see placebos in full force (as in 70% of reported efficacy vanishing when controlled properly). Flu vaccine efficacies are often vanishingly small, we haven't got a good handle on what we may be doing to the evolution of the germs themselves, and the precedent / growing sentiment of and for business and governments mandating their injection into your body is completely fucking dystopian.

There is a marked difference between the reliable and verifiable inoculation from previously deadly diseases and the, "Hey, this might work!" gun slinging of yearly flu vaccines.

#185 6 years ago

I believe genetics has a lot to do with your disposition to getting sick.

But more importantly than that is eating right and not working or stressing to the point of wearing yourself down. In my 20s I used to do that and got all kinds of flu. Keep your batteries charged and drink lots of water. Get some exercise too. Even just walking is better than sitting watching TV. And being overweight and eating too much junk is a means to an end.

After weekend of heavy partying, I got a dose of this year's flu back in November. It only lasted a couple days, but I could tell if I hadn't been prepared and in good shape, it might have knocked me for a loop. Some of the other people I know who even got a shot were not so lucky. It lasted for a month.

#186 6 years ago

Read this.

It's only a matter of time until another one comes out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1918_flu_pandemic

#187 6 years ago

Sadly, our government is preparing for this to happen in India, and southeast Asia related to water issues.

#188 6 years ago

I’ve never received flu shot and I’ve never had the flu

#189 6 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Read this.
It's only a matter of time until another one comes out.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1918_flu_pandemic

And what could possibly go wrong here?

"One group of researchers recovered the virus from the bodies of frozen victims, and found that transfection in animals caused a rapid progressive respiratory failure and death through a cytokine storm (overreaction of the body's immune system)."

#190 6 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

I’ve never received flu shot and I’ve never had the flu

You've lived a charmed life.

#191 6 years ago
Quoted from Puffdanny:

This young punk does and I'm also familiar with our government poisoning our troops in Vietnam with Agent Orange and then denying it.my father fought his battle with the government over his Agent Orange poisoning for years while they denied it all,he used to try to raise awareness and was the guest on some TV shows back in the 80's like Kelly And Company.in the end he had a miserable painful life because of it and died at the age of 56 just a few short years after they finally admitted what they did.and now I'm supposed to trust them?

Sorry about your dad, he sounded like a smart man. Big brother is not your friend for sure.

#192 6 years ago
Quoted from Dewey68:

No, I take a vaccine because I don't want to get the flu. I don't have any excuses not to get it when it's free and I don't have to leave work to get one. Doesn't seem like it's that complicated to me.

In my opinion there are lots of reasons not to take a flu shot but im certainly not going to knock you if you believe in them. The flu shot being free though wouldn’t even figure in to my decision for taking it or not taking it. My girlfriend got one this year and we talked about it before she did. I told her my reasons why i wont get one but i left the decision entirely up to her. Im not going to tell someone not to get a flu shot and then they die and ive got to live with that for the rest of my life, but in return i dont think people should be encouraging other people to get flu shots either. Its a very personal decision that only you can make.

I know quite a few people in the medical field that are furious because they are required to take flu shots in order to keep their job. They do not think they are safe but they’re forced to take them anyway. I cannot believe that This battle has not been fought and won by medical workers. My girlfriend asked her doctor if he takes a flu shot and he told her no by the way. He didnt givenher reasons why but basically just told her what i did, that its her decision to make for herself.

#193 6 years ago

Answer to original question is no, but just because of laziness. I havn't had the real flu in 18 yrs. my wife who gets the shot gets it every year. Too bad for her.

#194 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

And what could possibly go wrong here?
"One group of researchers recovered the virus from the bodies of frozen victims, and found that transfection in animals caused a rapid progressive respiratory failure and death through a cytokine storm (overreaction of the body's immune system)."

Maybe they took them to Plum Island?

#195 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Can a flu shot affect you ability to spell words like "seasonal" correctly?

Thank God someone finally called the OP on this!

Now, about your misuse of "you" instead of "your" ...

#196 6 years ago
Quoted from Puffdanny:

I've always had the CHRONIC that's why I'm called Puff Danny

I am from Ann Arbor and I can tell you you didn't have the kind before 1990 friend.

#197 6 years ago

I have a 17 year old son that is both severely autistic and Type 1 diabetic....

My friend tried to explain this to me and I didn't really understand it till I had a baby and they say "OK we're gonna vacinate now...and there is a small chance she'll die."

That's some shit that makes you think.

#198 6 years ago
Quoted from navajas:

Flu vaccine efficacies are often vanishingly small

Come on now, it’s not that bad. 10% this year sucks but it’s usually much better than that. I’ll agree that the actual risks associated with the flu vaccine are vanishingly small.

Quoted from navajas:

we haven't got a good handle on what we may be doing to the evolution of the germs themselves

Interesting concept. Is this something actual scientists are worried about? Of course anything humans do will affect the evolution of the flu, we’re it’s host after all. But I’d never heard people argue that vaccines might encourage negative (from our perspective) traits to evolve.

Quoted from navajas:

the precedent / growing sentiment of and for business and governments mandating their injection into your body is completely fucking dystopian.

I don’t think forced flu immunizations are a political reality anywhere in the US anytime soon. If you’re talking about hospitals making it a condition of employment though I don’t see the problem. It’s demonstrated to reduce the probability of carrying the flu, and if you’re in constant contact with high risk populations, seems fair enough to require it. If I’m on chemo or otherwise have a compromised immune system, I don’t give a damn about my nurse’s right not to take injections, I want to know she’s taken every step possible to avoid making me sick. She can excercise her right not to be vaccinated, of course, but she should then find a career path that aligns with her life choices.

Quoted from navajas:

There is a marked difference between the reliable and verifiable inoculation from previously deadly diseases and the, "Hey, this might work!" gun slinging of yearly flu vaccines.

Seems like the same concept, just more of a running battle against a cagier foe (in that influenza seemingly mutates more quickly such that immunity is limited in effectiveness and duration and the vaccines have to be more frequently updated). The “gun slinging” is a necessity of the task at hand. Statistically widespread flu vaccinations still very clearly saves lives. Even in weak sauce years like this one.

#199 6 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Thank God someone finally called the OP on this!
Now, about your misuse of "you" instead of "your" ...

That was caused by the 12 pack o-din bought in lieu of a flu shot this year ...

#200 6 years ago

Its called "practicing medicine",..
For a reason.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

£ 110.00
Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Valdosta, GA
3,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Jesup, GA
$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
PinballGeek

3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RavSpec

$ 26.95
$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 599.95
Cabinet - Toppers
Hi-Rez Pinball Mods

There are 2,456 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 50.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-get-a-sesonal-flu-shot/page/4?hl=thatonedude and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.