New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 211068)

Do you get a seasonal flu shot?

By cosmokramer

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 2,456 posts
  • 233 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by jlm33
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Flu shot”

• Yes 268 votes
    43%
  • No 302 votes
    48%
  • Sometimes 56 votes
    9%

(626 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 162 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

SpitefulBronzeCob-size_restricted.gif
pasted_image (resized).png
3mbp20 (resized).jpg
3mbi8o (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpg
MoonBearPig (resized).png
Unknown (resized).jpg
Charles-Darwin-quote-about-evolution-from-On-The-Origin-of-Species-1a3090 (resized).jpg
178DD1B0-CC39-4FD9-9AA5-B5E56B3F8799 (resized).png
ot-plasticplague-garbagepatchmap (resized).jpg
a-man-is-known-by-the-company-he-keeps (resized).jpg
Unknown (resized).jpg
bernard (resized).jpeg
3loguy (resized).jpg
big-hunk-4 (resized).jpg
Oprah-Flu-Shot-meme-300x217 (resized).png

This topic is closed.

There are 2456 posts in this topic. You are on page 46 of 50.
#2251 10 months ago
Quoted from SadSack:

What do CEO Bernard J. Tyson and Sen. Jose Peralta have in common besides being successful black men?
3 weeks later they were both in the ground:[quoted image]

Rejects scientific evidence.

Sees deeper meaning in anecdote and coincidence.

THAT’s the SadSack way.

#2252 10 months ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Rejects scientific evidence.
Sees deeper meaning in anecdote and coincidence.
THAT’s the SadSack way.

Another one: https://www.wkbw.com/news/local-news/11-year-old-flu-victim-remembered-as-kind-considerate-and-generous

#2253 10 months ago

Very sad.

Should we blame the parents or doctor on this one too? Or is it science fiction?

#2254 10 months ago

I skimmed but didn’t see mention of whether he was vaccinated. I’m assuming he was since you posted it?

EDIT:

Reading again on a bigger screen, I see that the boy's mother says he was vaccinated. Which goes back to the point that all sides seem to fully understand, which is that the flu vaccine is not 100% effective. Some that get vaccinated will get the flu. Some that get the flu will get sick. And some of those will die. Likewise, some that are unvaccinated will get the flu, get sick, and die. If we have only anecdotal accounts (for vaccinated and unvaccinated patients alike), there's no way to draw conclusions about what if any value the flu vaccine has. Only epidemiological data can tell you that.

#2255 10 months ago

Some people really nail it with their pinside handles.

#2256 10 months ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

he was vaccinated.

Unknown (resized).jpg
#2257 10 months ago

Healthy vaccinated young man dies of the flu? How could that be? I smell a conspiracy!!!

/sarcasm

#2259 10 months ago

You're putting up a link from a guy who has admitted he's nothing more than a performance artist.

You know that..right?

#2260 10 months ago
Quoted from Pinfactory2000:

You're putting up a link from a guy who has admitted he's nothing more than a performance artist.
You know that..right?

Thank your for addressing his points so cogently. "Attack the man" fallacious arguments are my favorite.

#2261 10 months ago

So far this is what I have learned from this thread.

Some use what intelligence they have and listen to what some so called experts say and choose to get vaccinated.

Others use what common sense they have, and go by their own experiences and choose to either get one or not.

And with others, if you are not making the same choice they are, you are an inconsiderate idiot.

#2262 10 months ago
Quoted from o-din:

And with others, if you are not making the same choice they are, you are an inconsiderate idiot.

Don't have to guess where you fit in eh sadsack…..

#2263 10 months ago
Quoted from Pinfactory2000:

You know that..right?

Quoted from SadSack:

Thank your for addressing his points so cogently. "Attack the man" fallacious arguments are my favorite.

Alex Jones, proprietor of the website you're asking us to visit, is an irredeemable douche bag. Among his many offenses against truth and basic human decency, he's the sociopath that accused the parents of children murdered at Sandy Hook of being professional actors. He attacked them publicly. For months on end. Knowing full-well that his followers were harassing them online and in person, making their lives a living hell. In what now, to avoid liability, he describes as an act of "performance art." And again, in case you somehow missed it, these are the PARENTS OF MURDERED CHILDREN we are talking about. One of the most fucked up things I've ever heard of. I'm not a huge fan of corporal punishment, but Alex Jones is one of those people that makes you think tar and feather might have had their place in the justice system.

So yes, anything posted on his infowars website is immediately suspect. If you have a cogent point to make, why not cite to a quasi-legitimate source instead of inviting us to give click-through dollars to that fuck stick Alex Jones?

#2265 10 months ago

Fuck sticks...facts and science
Fuck sticks....facts and science

It really is hard to figure out what to believe. Pretty much a 50/50 deal, could go either way, both sides do it, whataboutism. Who’s to say? Puzzler.

#2266 10 months ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

....If you have a cogent point to make, why not cite to a quasi-legitimate source instead of inviting us to give click-through dollars to that fuck stick Alex Jones?

"Appeal to authority" is another of my favorite fallacious arguments. But I have kept an ear to Jones ever since I saw the video where he predicted Bin Laden would take down the WTC in July before it happened. He's either fed info, or has great insight. All that other stuff is nonsense. Jones was mild on Sandy Hook compared to most. It was all a contrived attack during and after his banishment from social media. I happen to think Jones is conitelpro, but that doesn't mean he's wrong. Jones has hit the barb wire on tons of real news. Trump has said that Jones audience pushed him over the top. But Jones is a big nothing in your world.

Ahhhh, why do I even entertain fallacious arguments?

#2267 10 months ago

You are OUT THERE man! Wow. Good for you not being embarrassed to say such things. Points to strong self esteem....or something.

#2268 10 months ago

I wanna know what KMan thinks of vaccines!!

#2269 10 months ago
Quoted from SadSack:

"Appeal to authority" is another of my favorite fallacious arguments.

Maybe you can enlighten me on what "authority" I appealed to when I said your boy Jones is a monster. You seem to have zero problem with him viciously attacking the parents of murdered children, which tells me everything I need to know about your character. Luckily in America you remain free to receive your news from a human dumpster-fire.
a-man-is-known-by-the-company-he-keeps (resized).jpg

#2270 10 months ago

The arguments are losing civility people. Bring it back please.

#2271 10 months ago
Quoted from RonSS:

The arguments are losing civility people. Bring it back please.

There's nothing civil about Alex Jones. But I edited my post to let Aesop do the talking for me, so that SadSack would have an actual "appeal to authority" to address.

#2272 10 months ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

There's nothing civil about Alex Jones. But I edited my post to let Aesop do the talking for me, so that SadSack would have an actual "appeal to authority" to address.

So you emulate him?
I understand certain celebrities can get under our skin, but stay true to your own ethics

Ok, back to stuff, and thank you.

#2273 10 months ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Maybe you can enlighten me on what "authority" I appealed to when I said your boy Jones is a monster. You seem to have zero problem with him viciously attacking the parents of murdered children, which tells me everything I need to know about your character. Luckily in America you remain free to receive your news from a human dumpster-fire.
[quoted image]

When did he "viciously attack people"? he has his opinions like anyone.

#2274 10 months ago
Quoted from chad:

When did he "viciously attack people"? he has his opinions like anyone.

? Alex Jones? He and another guy worked together to forward the theory that a bunch of kids weren’t really killed. That seeeems viciously attack-ish. They demanded, among other things, receipts for the blood and body matter cleanup. You aren’t serious I assume.

#2275 10 months ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

? Alex Jones? He and another guy worked together to forward the theory that a bunch of kids weren’t really killed. That seeeems viciously attack-ish. They demanded, among other things, receipts for the blood and body matter cleanup. You aren’t serious I assume.

Had not heard that part. Thanks.

#2276 10 months ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

[quoted image]

Alex Jones has definitely said some off the wall stuff but hes also said some shit that sounded totally unbelievable that has turned out to be true. As much as you may hate him, he is way less toxic and a better American to this country than the political party that you associate yourself with so stick that in your pipe and smoke it. You're not perfect either.

#2277 10 months ago

Lunacy

#2278 10 months ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Fuck sticks...facts and science
Fuck sticks....facts and science
It really is hard to figure out what to believe.

Not that hard.

I believe science is responsible for bombs that can blow up the world. Science is also responsible for what creates greenhouse gasses so many are concerned about today. Science is also responsible for those colorful dyes and chemicals with long names that show up on food labels.

Science is also responsible for the vaccines, of that there can be no doubt.

What scientific creations one chooses not to use in regards to his or her own well being does not mean they are denying the science exists. It might be more in regards to how little one would like to rely on science and all their medicines and chemicals to stay healthy.

#2279 10 months ago
Quoted from o-din:

It might be more in regards to how little one would like to rely on science and all their medicines and chemicals to stay healthy.

Right on.

Instead of picking a health care “plan”, pick a health care Era. For example:

Life expectancy at birth in years:

1900 world average 31
1950 world average 48
2017 world average 72.2

#2280 10 months ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Right on.
Instead of picking a health care “plan”, pick a health care Era. For example:
Life expectancy at birth in years:
1900 world average 31
1950 world average 48
2017 world average 72.2

Well, mom was born in 1922 when I believe Harding was president, and according to your chart she should have been gone sometime in the 1960s, but miraculously is still with us today without getting the shot for more than at least the last ten years. Her choice what to and not to put in her body.

Other factors beyond medicine such as handling of water, waste, and food has greatly contributed to people living longer. We haven't had a bacterial plague wipe out large portions of the population in some time.

#2281 10 months ago

A problem that has arisen from the longer lifespans people do have now is the rapid increase in world population which is sapping it's resources and dirtying up the planet to no end.

There will come a time when it can take no more, and those longer lifespans and world population will do an about face, no matter what science tries to do because it will be too late.

#2282 10 months ago
Quoted from o-din:no matter what science tries to do because it will be too late.

Dude, Musk has it covered. No worries.

Quoted from o-din:

according to your chart she should have been gone sometime in the 1960s

My bad, that’s world average. We can tweak the chart to go to different eras, this was a quick and dirty run it up the flagpole brainstorming session. I can get more numbers and specific scientific advances you can forego.

#2283 10 months ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Dude, Musk has it covered. No worries.

Lol on that!

I don't need to say it but with all the advances in science and technology over the last century starting with the industrial revolution, it has been slowly destroying this planet. Look no further than the oceans where all the waste, trash, and other scientific runoff has found it's way. I could go on and on, but with almost every advancement, there are consequences that most will do nothing about until it is too late.

#2284 10 months ago

News says people are getting hit hard with the flu. Tents set up outside hospitals to handle the overflow. All I can say is do what you gotta do. Or did what you gotta did. And hope you feel better soon.

#2285 10 months ago
Quoted from o-din:

News says people are getting hit hard with the flu. Tents set up outside hospitals to handle the overflow. All I can say is do what you gotta do. Or did what you gotta did. And hope you feel better soon.

It is supposed to be really bad this year but oddly enough i havent known anyone or even as much as heard of anyone getting the flu yet around where i live.

#2286 10 months ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

It is supposed to be really bad this year but oddly enough i havent known anyone or even as much as heard of anyone getting the flu yet around where i live.

Sometimes the CDC reports seem more like Nielsen Ratings. I've never known anyone that had a box on their tv,,,

Quoted from Who-Dey:

is way less toxic and a better American to this country than the political party that you associate yourself with so stick that in your pipe and smoke it. You're not perfect either.

The funny thing about this statement is that it relates to nearly everybody in the US!

Quoted from o-din:

Look no further than the oceans where all the waste, trash, and other scientific runoff has found it's way.

"It's not a mass. It's nothing you can see from space, all these things one's heard," 60 Minutes producer Michael Gavshon said in the video above. "But in fact, it's just a giant soup, a gyre. It's a whirlpool of tiny fragments of plastic in the ocean at various depths." - https://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-great-pacific-garbage-patch-isnt-what-you-think-60-minutes-2019-08-18/

And this is supposed to make me feel better?

ot-plasticplague-garbagepatchmap (resized).jpg
#2287 10 months ago
178DD1B0-CC39-4FD9-9AA5-B5E56B3F8799 (resized).png
#2289 10 months ago
Quoted from RonSS:

Sometimes the CDC reports seem more like Nielsen Ratings. I've never known anyone that had a box on their tv

We had one for a year. We moved to a new house and rent our old one. Nielsen is tied to the address so we don’t have it now.

Also—nielsen really stresses the whole secrecy thing so you aren’t supposed to tell people you have it.

#2290 10 months ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

We had one for a year. We moved to a new house and rent our old one. Nielsen is tied to the address so we don’t have it now.
Also—nielsen really stresses the whole secrecy thing so you aren’t supposed to tell people you have it.

So you are one of the kind souls who helped set the direction of TV programming. Good on 'ya.. no one watches anymore.

#2291 10 months ago
Quoted from SadSack:

So you are one of the kind souls who helped set the direction of TV programming. Good on 'ya.. no one watches anymore.

Are you ever friendly and positive?

#2292 10 months ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Never to the cocksure.

#2293 10 months ago

Guys - I think SadSack and o-din are starting to see the light, just a few more facts and they will get vaccinated! Go for it!

#2294 10 months ago

Whatever you are into, that’s cool.

On Nielsen, if you seriously cared, they capture all media. When I did it, I had just axed cable and was streaming only. Their myriad of devices, along with interviews and reporting capture tv, streaming, tablets, laptop...all of it.

Stay positive!

#2295 10 months ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

The fact he is a part of a country that has achieved so many great feats such as actually landing on the friggin moon, I mean you would think he'd be a bit more chipper.

#2296 10 months ago
Quoted from SadSack:

I bet you believe tom selleck when he says how awesome reverse mortgages are too.

#2297 10 months ago
Quoted from SadSack:

the video where he predicted Bin Laden would take down the WTC in July before it happened. He's either fed info, or has great insight.

Um no. He, in a rant that also talked about the Oklahoma city bombing was faked by the govt, threw out the name of a top terrorist name at the time. He never said anything about the WTC. He literally just said 'hey, the number one terrorist will probably do something but its actually the govt doing it"

Honestly lol. smh

#2299 10 months ago

Where do you guys come up with this stuff? What kind of URL is "banned.video"?

#2300 10 months ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Whatever you are into, that’s cool.
On Nielsen, if you seriously cared, they capture all media. When I did it, I had just axed cable and was streaming only. Their myriad of devices, along with interviews and reporting capture tv, streaming, tablets, laptop...all of it.
Stay positive!

Wonder if Nielsen even needs boxes or equipment these days. Seems to me the streaming and access providers can tell what you watch and how often since they deliver the product. Anyways, cable television is the worst. I mean, it's 2020 and they are still running the same shows over and over. Getting ready to cut cable/dish myself.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 11.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 10.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
There are 2456 posts in this topic. You are on page 46 of 50.

This topic is closed.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside