View topic image gallery

SpitefulBronzeCob-size_restricted.gif
pasted_image (resized).png
3mbp20 (resized).jpg
3mbi8o (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpg
MoonBearPig (resized).png
Unknown (resized).jpg
Charles-Darwin-quote-about-evolution-from-On-The-Origin-of-Species-1a3090 (resized).jpg
178DD1B0-CC39-4FD9-9AA5-B5E56B3F8799 (resized).png
ot-plasticplague-garbagepatchmap (resized).jpg
a-man-is-known-by-the-company-he-keeps (resized).jpg
Unknown (resized).jpg
bernard (resized).jpeg
3loguy (resized).jpg
big-hunk-4 (resized).jpg
Oprah-Flu-Shot-meme-300x217 (resized).png

This topic is closed.

There are 2,456 posts in this topic. You are on page 34 of 50.
#1651 4 years ago

Everyone could stand to read this comic. It can help you understand why people can be super resistant to information that is new to them, but is factually correct, provable, obvious, etc and any attempt at changing their mind just causes them to double down.

It's long, but worth your time.

https://theoatmeal.com/comics/believe

#1652 4 years ago

Alright dudes. So we've proven that science is fake, dinosaurs are fake and that jenny mcarthy isnt hot anymore.

Now that we're all woke...lets go next level. Did you know that not only is the earth flat but gravity is fake too????

Wokest of the woke.

#action=share

#1654 4 years ago
Quoted from DRDAVE:

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/4N1BrUBPYlpYFUAmVI" width="480" height="270" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p>
via GIPHY</p>

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=Inserting+GIFs+made+easy+for+anti+science+types

#1655 4 years ago

Not getting sucked in by your hate trap any longer.

Wishing you a happy and blessed Thanksgiving.

May you live a thousand years.

#1656 4 years ago
Quoted from DRDAVE:

Hey Framingham boy. Why hide behind a fake moniker and not put your location? Such a gamma....

You seem emotional. I hope you are able to find guys on the internet who will give you their names and addresses.

In the meantime...

How do you know dino bones arent real? Why wont you answer?

#1657 4 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I understand the sentiment, I really do. It doesn't change the fact that many, many times more kids would have contracted polio without vaccination efforts. Those kids are leading full and healthy lives. Would you rather take that away from all of them?

And what I question is whether your sureness is justified or simply a learned behavior. And further, I'm taking nothing from anyone. I said many times you are free to take whatever jabs you want until you tell me I have to. That's where the line is drawn. I don't slight people who think crystals cure disease or copper bracelets reduce pain. You can think ad do whatever you want, but don't decide for me and mine.

#1658 4 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

Everyone could stand to read this comic. It can help you understand why people can be super resistant to information that is new to them, but is factually correct, provable, obvious, etc and any attempt at changing their mind just causes them to double down.
It's long, but worth your time.
https://theoatmeal.com/comics/believe

Thanks for posting this enlightening article on the backfire effect.

#1659 4 years ago
Quoted from ZNET:

Thanks for posting this enlightening article on the backfire effect.

It should be shown at Thanksgiving to all attendees each year. There is a 'clean' version (no cuss words) available if you need to send it to someone that would be offended by the spicy language.

And prior to any conversations during dinner, everyone should review:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_common_misconceptions

#1660 4 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

It should be shown at Thanksgiving to all attendees each year. There is a 'clean' version (no cuss words) available if you need to send it to someone that would be offended by the spicy language.
And prior to any conversations during dinner, everyone should review:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_common_misconceptions

Wikipedia talks about dinosaurs as if they once existed, so it’s hardly to be trusted. Next thing you’ll be claiming that peanuts are real.

#1661 4 years ago

Not sure if this is an appropriate place for this...but I was recently plucking my nose hairs instead of trimming because they have become quite coarse and I was hoping the plucking would reset them somewhat.

Well after my pluck job I decided to research what I had done and learned it’s a big no-no as this region is considered the triangle of death where hair should never be plucked

5716E28B-0416-48F9-822B-96467DD5BA39 (resized).png5716E28B-0416-48F9-822B-96467DD5BA39 (resized).png
#1662 4 years ago
Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

Not sure if this is an appropriate place for this...but I was recently plucking my nose hairs instead of trimming because they have become quite coarse and I was hoping the plucking would reset them somewhat.
Well after my pluck job I decided to research what I had done and learned it’s a big no-no as this region is considered the triangle of death where hair should never be plucked

You’re in the right thread. Sigma Bears let their nose hair grow free.

#1663 4 years ago
Quoted from DRDAVE:

Not getting sucked in by your hate trap any longer.
Wishing you a happy and blessed Thanksgiving.
May you live a thousand years.

Why cant you answer 'how do you know dinosaurs arent real'? How is asking that hateful?

#1664 4 years ago

Well after my pluck job I decided to research what I had done and learned it’s a big no-no as this region is considered the triangle of death where hair should never be plucked[quoted image]

This is true. You can actually get bacterial meningitis believe it or not.

#1665 4 years ago

Well after my pluck job I decided to research what I had done and learned it’s a big no-no as this region is considered the triangle of death where hair should never be plucked[quoted image]

If this were a real problem, we would all be dead by now. The danger triangle is anatomically real, but the risk of death from popping nose pimples ( I can remember being warned by my mom in the 70's) or plucking a hair is super remote. Dr. Oz spends too much time on stuff like this.

Nose plucking death stories would make great click bait - like flesh eating bacteria and that amoeba that lives in stagnant pond/creek water that eats your brain - but I don't ever recall seeing a bonafide nose hair plucking or pimple popping death article.

BTW - I LOVE the direction of this thread.

#1666 4 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

If this were a real problem, we would all be dead by now. The danger triangle is anatomically real, but the risk of death from popping nose pimples ( I can remember being warned by my mom in the 70's) or plucking a hair is super remote. Dr. Oz spends too much time on stuff like this.
Nose plucking death stories would make great click bait - like flesh eating bacteria and that amoeba that lives in stagnant pond/creek water that eats your brain - but I don't ever recall seeing a bonafide nose hair plucking or pimple popping death article.
BTW - I LOVE the direction of this thread.

Forget Dr. Oz. Nobody knows noses like Dr. No.

#1667 4 years ago

I thought this was a very interesting article on the development of the flu vaccine:

https://heritage.umich.edu/stories/the-first-flu-shot/

#1668 4 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

Dr. Dave gets it. Science is a collection lofty claims backed up by generally fraudulent data and studies. It's often disproven over time and often financially driven to fit ulterior agendas.
Engineering, OTOH, proves itself through obvious success or failure often demonstrated by resulting life and death. The polio vaccine is an example of an engineered chemical that often causes polio and is therefore proven a failure to those who get polio from it. All the science in the world won't make those affected children whole. Does that make you feel good about yourself or is their sacrifice worth it to you?

This one response says it all. If you can read this and still agree with SadSack then reading comprehension isn't one of your stronger skill sets.

BTW- SadSack. Nobody builds a building then sits by to see if it kills someone or not. That isn't how engineering works which makes me questions your street cred.

#1669 4 years ago

#1670 4 years ago

I think Snoop has TOO much THC in his system to ever become infected....

#1671 4 years ago
Quoted from chad:

I think Snoop has TOO much THC in his system to ever become infected....

I have more faith in what Snoop says than some pinside keyboard zealots.

#1672 4 years ago
Quoted from FlippinJimmy:

...BTW- SadSack. Nobody builds a building then sits by to see if it kills someone or not. That isn't how engineering works which makes me questions your street cred.

These people did: https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/six-story-building-collapses-nairobi-2-killed-dozens-trapped

#1673 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I have more faith in what Snoop says than some pinside keyboard zealots.

So your fact check website would be Snoops.com, then? Well documented high-side bias.

#1674 4 years ago

And another article that says your flu shot was worthless: https://apnews.com/fe93a8ee8bb367874f76c986d0353b7a

#1675 4 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

And another article that says your flu shot was worthless: https://apnews.com/fe93a8ee8bb367874f76c986d0353b7a

You must have posted the wrong link. That article does not say what you say it says.

#1676 4 years ago

It says the last two years vaccines were not effective against the predominate strain of the flu and that at least in louisiana no deaths have occured despite a high level of flu. A.K.A the vaccine is worthless.

Quoted from fosaisu:

You must have posted the wrong link. That article does not say what you say it says.

#1677 4 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

So your fact check website would be Snoops.com, then? Well documented high-side bias.

Great minds think alike.

#1678 4 years ago
Quoted from madtown:

It says the last two years vaccines were not effective against the predominate strain of the flu

Everyone agrees that effectiveness rates were bad the last two years, but I'm not sure that translates to "not effective" (which at least to me reads as 0% effective). Here's the relevant quote from the article: "In both of the previous two flu seasons, the flu vaccine performed poorly against the nasty predominant virus."

Quoted from madtown:

at least in louisiana no deaths have occured despite a high level of flu.

Not what it says. That's referring to one New Orleans hospital, not the whole state. From the article: "Children's Hospital New Orleans has already seen more flu cases this fall than it saw all of last winter.... Last month was the busiest ever at the hospital's emergency department.... '[The flu] is definitely causing symptoms that will put you in bed for a week,' including fever, vomiting and diarrhea. But the hospital has not had any deaths and is not seeing many serious complications."

Also, if you make your way to the following paragraph (this is in reference to the entire US, not just New Orleans): "[CDC] on Friday estimated that there have already been 1.7 million flu illnesses, 16,000 hospitalizations, and 900 flu-related deaths."

Like the man said, you're entitled to your own opinions but not your own facts.

Quoted from madtown:

A.K.A the vaccine is worthless.

This comes back to a fundamental disconnect on the meaning of the word "worthless." You and Sack hold vaccines (or at least the flu vaccine) to a robust standard, 100% effective or it's worthless. Of course no medical intervention on earth is 100% effective, and neither are most other things. You're free to call any or all of them worthless, but I'd submit that you're using the term differently than most people do.

#1679 4 years ago

You guys hear about the mandatory vaccinations in Samoa?

And if you haven’t had one yet they put a scarlet letter on your door or something

#1680 4 years ago

You guys hear about the mandatory vaccinations in Samoa? And if you haven’t had one yet they put a scarlet letter on your door or something

American Samoa?

#1681 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Great minds think alike.

I thought it was "great minds drink alike." Or "smoke alike" in this case.

#1682 4 years ago

Just got my third flu shot

#1683 4 years ago

I think so, what’s the difference?

I’m geographically challenged

#1684 4 years ago

I think it’s the Samoa where Hobbs and Shaw were fighting with their shirts off

#1685 4 years ago

I think so, what’s the difference? I’m geographically challenged

They're both chains of islands way out in the south pacific. But one's an "unincorporated territory" of the US (think Puerto Rico or Guam but even looser ties to the US), the other is its own country.

I don't know about Hobbs and Shaw, but I figure they take their shirts off wherever they go. Got to feed the monkey.

#1686 4 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

They're both chains of islands way out in the south pacific. But one's an "unincorporated territory" of the US (think Puerto Rico or Guam but even looser ties to the US), the other is its own country.
I don't know about Hobbs and Shaw, but I figure they take their shirts off wherever they go. Got to feed the monkey.

Ah ha...well it’s probably the one which has the US’s finger in its pie

#1687 4 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

I thought it was "great minds drink alike." Or "smoke alike" in this case.

I met Snoop at Disney's Ca. Adventure once. Him and his family got in the raft behind ours on Grizzly Rapids. Everybody was showing their love when they stopped the ride so they could get on.

When he got off, I knew the special door he would be coming out so I waited there with my daughter because she wanted to meet him. Sure enough, as he came out the door, I said "Hey Snoop, you're more popular than Mickey Mouse". Dude smiled and was totally cool.

#1688 4 years ago

Forgive me if this has already been discussed.

Are the anti-flu vaccine people here also against MMR? I’m curious how deep this anti-science thinking goes.

#1689 4 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

Are the anti-flu vaccine people here also against MMR? I’m curious how deep this anti-science thinking goes.

They are equally opposed to measles, mumps, rubella and the Medieval Madness Remake.

#1690 4 years ago
Quoted from madtown:

It says the last two years vaccines were not effective against the predominate strain of the flu and that at least in louisiana no deaths have occured despite a high level of flu. A.K.A the vaccine is worthless.

1F702B04-AB6D-4A69-83C3-0F38448DB29C (resized).png1F702B04-AB6D-4A69-83C3-0F38448DB29C (resized).png
#1691 4 years ago

Yes i am against all vaccines. What happens if you get measles, mumps or rubella? Answer: you get sick for a while, then you get over it. I have never met anyone that has had the measles, mumps or rubella so i see no point in harming me or my child with the vaccine, especially when the U.S. government put limits on how much you can sue the vaccine makers for.

Quoted from Russell:

#1692 4 years ago
Quoted from madtown:

Yes i am against all vaccines. What happens if you get measles, mumps or rubella? Answer: you get sick for a while, then you get over it. I have never met anyone that has had the measles, mumps or rubella so i see no point in harming me or my child with the vaccine, especially when the U.S. government put limits on how much you can sue the vaccine makers for.

I assume you are serious, but it is honestly hard to even respond to such a silly statement. I have never seen someone with Ebola, so it must not be dangerous (?)

#1693 4 years ago
Quoted from madtown:

I have never met anyone that has had the measles, mumps or rubella

I could see someone not getting one for the mumps but for measles and especially rubella the possible consequences far out weigh any reluctance I would have.

#1694 4 years ago

I wouldnt get an ebola vaccine either. If they came up with an ebola vaccine would you get it? Why is it a silly statement? If the incidence is low and the outcomes are good, it is in fact not danerous. Not worth risking a vaccine injury.

Quoted from Russell:

I assume you are serious, but it is honestly hard to even respond to such a silly statement. I have never seen someone with Ebola, so it must not be dangerous (?)

#1695 4 years ago
Quoted from madtown:

I wouldnt get an ebola vaccine either. If they came up with an ebola vaccine would you get it? Why is it a silly statement? If the incidence is low and the outcomes are good, it is in fact not danerous. Not worth risking a vaccine injury.

I didn’t realize the outcome of Ebola was good.

#1696 4 years ago

Do you share some responsibility if a preventable illness returns to the population and ends up killing a bunch of people? If measles is fatal 0.2% of the time, and the incidence rises, more people will die, right? How much responsibility do you have for those deaths?

#1697 4 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

How much responsibility do you have for those deaths?

The US is in danger of losing its "measles-free" status due to anti-vaxxers: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/09/13/us-could-lose-measles-free-status-if-outbreak-continues-new-york/2300281001/

Anti-Vaccine Decision-Making and Measles Resurgence in the United States: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6657116/

Measles Is Back: https://www.forbes.com/sites/stevensalzberg/2019/04/29/measles-is-back-blame-the-anti-vax-movement/#47e59bcc5be2

UNICEF blames anti-vaxxers for the 300% spike in global measles outbreaks: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/unicef-blames-anti-vaxxers-for-the-300-spike-in-global-measles-outbreaks-2019-04-25

To those talking about effectiveness, airbags only reduce fatalities by 29% and they are mandated by law.

#1698 4 years ago

So your saying i should risk MY health for a disease that is treatable and death rates are low? I take responsibility for my own health first and foremost.

Quoted from Russell:

Do you share some responsibility if a preventable illness returns to the population and ends up killing a bunch of people? If measles is fatal 0.2% of the time, and the incidence rises, more people will die, right? How much responsibility do you have for those deaths?

#1699 4 years ago

The last death from measles in the usa was in 2015, despite all the outbreaks. It is
a treatable viral infection. Symptoms include; fever, runny nose and a sore throat. I still see no need to chance a vaccine.

Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

The US is in danger of losing its "measles-free" status due to anti-vaxxers: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/09/13/us-could-lose-measles-free-status-if-outbreak-continues-new-york/2300281001/
Anti-Vaccine Decision-Making and Measles Resurgence in the United States: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6657116/
Measles Is Back: https://www.forbes.com/sites/stevensalzberg/2019/04/29/measles-is-back-blame-the-anti-vax-movement/#47e59bcc5be2
UNICEF blames anti-vaxxers for the 300% spike in global measles outbreaks: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/unicef-blames-anti-vaxxers-for-the-300-spike-in-global-measles-outbreaks-2019-04-25
To those talking about effectiveness, airbags only reduce fatalities by 29% and they are mandated by law.

#1700 4 years ago
Quoted from madtown:

The last death from measles in the usa was in 2015

How do you think we got there?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

£ 110.00
3,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Jesup, GA
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

4,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Quincy, FL
$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
PinballGeek

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Blackwood, NJ
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RavSpec

$ 26.95
$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 599.95
Cabinet - Toppers
Hi-Rez Pinball Mods

There are 2,456 posts in this topic. You are on page 34 of 50.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-get-a-sesonal-flu-shot/page/34 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.