• Yes 269 votes
    43%
  • No 303 votes
    48%
  • Sometimes 56 votes
    9%

(628 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 162 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

SpitefulBronzeCob-size_restricted.gif
pasted_image (resized).png
3mbp20 (resized).jpg
3mbi8o (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpg
MoonBearPig (resized).png
Unknown (resized).jpg
Charles-Darwin-quote-about-evolution-from-On-The-Origin-of-Species-1a3090 (resized).jpg
178DD1B0-CC39-4FD9-9AA5-B5E56B3F8799 (resized).png
ot-plasticplague-garbagepatchmap (resized).jpg
a-man-is-known-by-the-company-he-keeps (resized).jpg
Unknown (resized).jpg
bernard (resized).jpeg
3loguy (resized).jpg
big-hunk-4 (resized).jpg
Oprah-Flu-Shot-meme-300x217 (resized).png

This topic is closed.

There are 2456 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 50.
#1201 1 year ago
Quoted from DRDAVE:

Ah yes. Another Vox Day fan and Owen Benjamin fan. Good to know you brother. =)

Pinball Bear offers kind greetings! Crushing in Billings.. You?

#1202 1 year ago

I had the first Flu shot in my life a couple weeks ago.
In the past, I asked my GP, if he took the shot, or gave it to his family, and his answer was no.
I never had the flu. So why Now?
A need to do so to protect my 7 month old Grand Daughter. I cant argue with my Daughter, or son the Pediatrician.

His education is dont get the shot just for you, but also to help others.

(BTW I was Sick for a week....Excessive lethargy and aches, so that sucked)

#1203 1 year ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I had the first Flu shot in my life a couple weeks ago.
In the past, I asked my GP, if he took the shot, or gave it to his family, and his answer was no.
I never had the flu. So why Now?
A need to do so to protect my 7 month old Grand Daughter. I cant argue with my Daughter, or son the Pediatrician.
His education is dont get the shot just for you, but also to help others.
(BTW I was Sick for a week....Excessive lethargy and aches, so that sucked)

Well, if your 7 month old got her flu shot, you wouldn't need to because she is protected, right?

#1204 1 year ago

Yes, she has her 2 part Flu shot.

I dont argue the request anymore, as who am I to disagree with him?

#1205 1 year ago
Quoted from SadSack:

Pinball Bear offers kind greetings! Crushing in Billings.. You?

Pinball Restoration Bear here with warm greetings of crushing it style Logos.

Yes, crushing it here near Boston. =)

#1206 1 year ago
Quoted from SadSack:

Yes. "effective" is 100%. What is the number that you would consider effective? 61%, 31%? You tell me what effective means to you. They don't say sort of effective or a little effective. They say "safe and effective"... lies.

Guess you can never wear a seatbelt either since they aren’t 100% effective in keeping you from being hurt in a crash.

Wow. lol. Just. Wow.

#1207 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinfactory2000:

Guess you can never wear a seatbelt either since they aren’t 100% effective in keeping you from being hurt in a crash.
Wow. lol. Just. Wow.

Again another strawman argument.

Seat belts don't have side effects and aren't required to go into your blood stream and yes are HEAD and SHOULDERS more effective than the faux flu shot.

#1208 1 year ago
Quoted from DRDAVE:

A quick google search and yikes...

#1209 1 year ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Yes, she has her 2 part Flu shot.
I dont argue the request anymore, as who am I to disagree with him?

Its your body, your choice...

#1210 1 year ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Its your body, your choice...

I think that’s the point. He doing it because she want to for the well being of his family.

#1211 1 year ago
Quoted from dnapac:

I think that’s the point. He doing it because she want to for the well being of his family.

From him saying he stopped arguing their request and why should he disagree, didnt sound like its something that he wanted to do.

#1212 1 year ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

who am I to disagree with him?

Who is he to disagree with you?

This Guy?

#1213 1 year ago

WTF. How can No be beating Yes Gotten one since I can remember and I’m 50.

#1214 1 year ago
Quoted from PinballNewb:

A quick google search and yikes...

Yup typical low info thinker aren't you? Google? lol

Let me guess, You are probably a snopes guy too?
Try Duck Duck Go instead and take those blinders off.

#1215 1 year ago
Quoted from DRDAVE:

Again another strawman argument.
Seat belts don't have side effects and aren't required to go into your blood stream and yes are HEAD and SHOULDERS more effective than the faux flu shot.

They absolutely do. They can cause abrasions and internal damage during an accident.

so now effectiveness IS subjective? How much is ‘head and shoulders’?

Strawman he says lol

#1216 1 year ago
Quoted from DRDAVE:

Name 3 things snopes has gotten wrong.

*crickets*

#1217 1 year ago
Quoted from DRDAVE:

Please check back with us in a month or so....

Will do. ...I only hope that some of you folks too scared to get your flu shot will still be around to see it.

#1218 1 year ago
Quoted from DRDAVE:

A quick DuckDuckGo search and yikes...

#1219 1 year ago
Quoted from o-din:

I believe the op's question was "do you get a flu shot?" Not "do you often tell others what to do?"
We're all grown men now. We don't need another mama. Although mine would tell me not to.

Well, semantics aside, your mother would be incorrect in her advice to you. Yes, in my profession I often am called upon to tell others what to do. Often they are grown men. And women, for that matter. You, on the other hand, are more than free to make your own choices. Kind of like the mode in IJ: choose wisely.

#1220 1 year ago

So here is the answer from Doc. The Virus can stay active in your system for up to 24 hours, even with having a flu shot, and can be passed on to others.
In this case, My grand daughter is between the 2 stages of her shots when I will see her next. If I caught the virus unknowingly from someone else in the previous day, even with my shot, I could pass it on to her. The two stage shot is till 9 years old.
When we are older, not too old or sick, and healthy, we have medication that can help us, should we catch a flu virus.
An infant will not be given the this medication. The same if a Woman is pregnant, she cant receive Flu Medication, but should have her shot to protect the fetus.
Lastly is the close proximity of wanting to hold my Grand daughter, as my kisses, and my son in laws could pass to him,
and his daily work is 100% with pregnant woman, infants, and children, in a Hospital setting.

Of course it is my body, my decision, as it yours or anyone else, I could say no, but my grand daughter would only see me in a mask.

No Judgement on anyone, but Id bet if there was a deadly epidemic of a Flu strain or other virus, viewpoints might be affected
rather quickly.

#1221 1 year ago

Safe and "EFFECTIVE"

Screenshot from 2019-11-01 17-11-41 (resized).png
#1222 1 year ago
Quoted from SadSack:

I never called anyone a piece of shit or gay. They just felt that way after they read my comment. The truth often hurts.

I meant no offense (not that mistaking someone as gay should offend anyone anyway). Just didn’t realize your Illuminati boys club had appropriated a common term for members of a gay subculture. You guys should probably hit up google before assigning officer names.

#1223 1 year ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

I meant no offense (not that mistaking someone as gay should offend anyone anyway). Just didn’t realize your Illuminati boys club had appropriated a common term for members of a gay subculture. You guys should probably hit up google before assigning officer names.

They don't own the word. I don't change my words because someone appropriates it, but you DID use gay to mock. Maybe you aren't as 'woke' as you think. Like most of the 'woke', maybe you just project. Anyway, Greetings from Pinball Bear and crushing at life is what I do! Raising babies and having a blast doing it!

#1224 1 year ago
Quoted from reynolds531:

Well, semantics aside, your mother would be incorrect in her advice to you. Yes, in my profession I often am called upon to tell others what to do. Often they are grown men. And women, for that matter. You, on the other hand, are more than free to make your own choices. Kind of like the mode in IJ: choose wisely.

So you, who do not know my mother, her education, her lifetime working in the medical profession and teaching advanced biology and physiology, and her own experiences with the terrible side affects and adverse reactions of a flu shot that laid her up in the hospital for two weeks and almost killed her until she stopped taking them 10+ years ago, are saying she would be wrong in her advice to her son?

I get it

"Son, the darn thing almost killed me, but you should go get one. If you get sick and die because of it, just remember I love you"

#1225 1 year ago
Quoted from SadSack:

They don't own the word. I don't change my words because someone appropriates it, but you DID use gay to mock. Maybe you aren't as 'woke' as you think. Like most of the 'woke', maybe you just project. Anyway, Greetings from Pinball Bear and crushing at life is what I do! Raising babies and having a blast doing it!

I shudder to think what “woke” means in pig-Latin.

#1226 1 year ago

I was asked recently...what is woke...how tolerant is “woke”...a good question.

#1227 1 year ago

"woke" tolerates "only" self.

#1228 1 year ago
Quoted from DRDAVE:

Snopes is a left leaning entity.

#1229 1 year ago
Quoted from chad:

Snopes is a left leaning entity.

People say this, but I’ve yet to see evidence. Do you have anything specific?

#1230 1 year ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

People say this, but I’ve yet to see evidence. Do you have anything specific?

You see only what you want to see. That is obvious to anyone following this thread. No answer to my simple google anyone can type? Whatever snopes says is 'reality inversion'. It is only believed by koolaiders. A broken clock is more often correct. https://www.wsj.com/articles/skepticism-beats-snopes-as-an-antidote-to-fake-news-1528497662

Don't you have more gays to mock?
Screenshot from 2019-11-01 17-11-41 (resized).png

#1231 1 year ago
Quoted from SadSack:

You see only what you want to see. That is obvious to anyone following this thread. No answer to my simple google anyone can type? Whatever snopes says is 'reality inversion. It is only believed by koolaiders. A broken clock is more often correct. Don't you have more gays to mock?[quoted image]

Your self proclaimed google-fu is missing some important data points. You are focusing on a single year.

Let me help you with a better link so you can be better educated:

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/vaccines-work/past-seasons-estimates.html

Do you even understand how effectiveness is estimated?

#1232 1 year ago

How does a simple question as to whether one takes a flu shot or not, lead to a discussion of Far-right -vs- far left views????? Simple questions require simple answers.., yes or no, you either do or don't, personal reasoning isn't necessary nor asked for.

#1233 1 year ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Your self proclaimed google-fu is missing some important data points. You are focusing on a single year.
Let me help you with a better link so you can be better educated:
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/vaccines-work/past-seasons-estimates.html
Do you even understand how effectiveness is estimated?

Thanks for making my argument. In 15 years, the jab was over 50% effective in only 5 of them (and just barely in 3). What a strange understanding of "safe and effective". I wonder if the math is the same for the "safe" part.

Quoted from RWH:

How does a simple question as to whether one takes a flu shot or not, lead to a discussion of Far-right -vs- far left views????? Simple questions require simple answers.., yes or no, you either do or don't, personal reasoning isn't necessary nor asked for.

Those who were against were bullied and responded as far as I read. The results suggest that more agree with my side but don't want to be bullied. I'm not afraid of bullies. Hence, the debate. My body, my choice and all that. FUD aside, people are looking to others to blame for their own weaknesses. I'm responsible for me. You are responsible for you and the victims that fall in the middle aren't our responsibility. I'd like to be nice, but I can't commit suicide to reduce my carbon footprint so loudmouths can fly around in private jet-copters. (an analogy, not a political statement).

#1234 1 year ago
Quoted from SadSack:

Thanks for making my argument. In 15 years, the jab was over 50% effective in only 5 of them (and just barely in 3). What a strange understanding of "safe and effective". I wonder if the math is the same for the "safe" part.

I don't think you understand the scale of what even 30% means money, time, and survival wise.

#1235 1 year ago

I guess this is the anti anti-vaxxer thread

#1236 1 year ago
Quoted from SadSack:

You see only what you want to see. That is obvious to anyone following this thread. No answer to my simple google anyone can type? Whatever snopes says is 'reality inversion'. It is only believed by koolaiders. A broken clock is more often correct. https://www.wsj.com/articles/skepticism-beats-snopes-as-an-antidote-to-fake-news-1528497662
[quoted image]

I’m happy to read WSJ articles, but do you have a link that’s not behind a paywall?

Better yet, why not point us to a Snopes article you believe is biased.

#1237 1 year ago

Just got my free flu shot yesterday at CVS. If nothing else it gives me peace of mind.

#1238 1 year ago
Quoted from o-din:

So you, who do not know my mother, her education, her lifetime working in the medical profession and teaching advanced biology and physiology, and her own experiences with the terrible side affects and adverse reactions of a flu shot that laid her up in the hospital for two weeks and almost killed her until she stopped taking them 10+ years ago, are saying she would be wrong in her advice to her son?
I get it
"Son, the darn thing almost killed me, but you should go get one. If you get sick and die because of it, just remember I love you"

Anecdotal evidence: evidence collected in a casual or informal manner and relying heavily or entirely on personal testimony. Okay then, let us just get back to pinball.

#1239 1 year ago
Quoted from reynolds531:

Okay then, let us just get back to pinball.

Hey, no pinball talk in the flu shot thread!

#1240 1 year ago
Quoted from reynolds531:

Anecdotal evidence: evidence collected in a casual or informal manner and relying heavily or entirely on personal testimony. Okay then, let us just get back to pinball.

Quoted from fosaisu:

Hey, no pinball talk in the flu shot thread!

He was referring to Sterns next pin "Influenza A/B", it's an add a ball game.

#1241 1 year ago

If I get bit by a rattlesnake, I am willing to let them shoot me up with the antidote.

#1242 1 year ago
Quoted from o-din:

If I get bit by a rattlesnake, I am willing to let them shoot me up with the antidote.

Yeah I'm with ya!

#1243 1 year ago
Quoted from o-din:

You could always just find someone to suck out the venom for you. From what I saw in Caddyshack II, that’s 100% effective. And if it doesn’t work out, you’ll probably make the evening news.

#1244 1 year ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

You could always just find someone to suck out the venom for you. From what I saw in Caddyshack II, that’s 100% effective. And if it doesn’t work out, you’ll probably make the evening news.

Lol it worked in the old Westerns I'd let Nichole Kidman suck the venom out though and take my chances

#1245 1 year ago
Quoted from RWH:

I'd let Nichole Kidman suck the venom out though and take my chances

How on earth did the snake get up your pant leg?

#1246 1 year ago
Quoted from o-din:

How on earth did the snake get up your pant leg?

It's a big D..snake.

#1247 1 year ago
Quoted from o-din:

Why though? I've heard big Pharma is making a mint on rattlesnake antidotes.

#1248 1 year ago
Quoted from Methos:

Why though? I've heard big Pharma is making a mint on rattlesnake antidotes.

It is my understanding rattlesnake anti venom can actually keep me from getting very sick and dying. However I have never been bit by one, so I don't know if my super strong immune system might be up to the task anyway.

I certainly would not ask for the shot or let them give me one if I had not been bit, that's for sure. Or any other shot under similar circumstances. Don't like needles and I am not a human pincushion or guinea pig.

#1249 1 year ago
Quoted from SadSack:

[quoted image]

an opinion piece that can’t/doesn’t point out a SINGLE instance of snopes being wrong But instead points out that in order for them to profit there must be enough fake news for them to debunk is your evidence?

Talk about reality inversion lol

#1250 1 year ago

My view on flu shots is consistent with my approach to life generally.

I adhere to the philosophy that a smart person is someone who appreciates that others are smarter in many areas of the human condition. In other words, I know what I don't know. That recognition makes me smart. It enables me to defer highly complex decisions to far more intelligent and skilled experts.

No amount of analysis on my part will ever enable me to make a comprehensively informed decision about the efficacy, reliability and safety of flu shots. I am too busy with my wife, kids and pinball hobby to dedicate to such a daunting research project. Besides, I suck at organic chemistry.

Consequently, I rely upon the smartest guy I know in the field of flu shots. . .the kid on my school bus stop in the mid-seventies. He grew up to head the Centers For Disease Control in Atlanta. He strongly recommends the annual shot. He's way smarter than me. My family gets the annual shot.

If my childhood friend ever wants to enter the pinball hobby, I suspect that he will solicit my advice and the advice of us pinball aficionados. That's because he too is smart. He knows what he doesn't know.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
There are 2456 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 50.

This topic is closed.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside