View topic image gallery

SpitefulBronzeCob-size_restricted.gif
pasted_image (resized).png
3mbp20 (resized).jpg
3mbi8o (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpg
MoonBearPig (resized).png
Unknown (resized).jpg
Charles-Darwin-quote-about-evolution-from-On-The-Origin-of-Species-1a3090 (resized).jpg
178DD1B0-CC39-4FD9-9AA5-B5E56B3F8799 (resized).png
ot-plasticplague-garbagepatchmap (resized).jpg
a-man-is-known-by-the-company-he-keeps (resized).jpg
Unknown (resized).jpg
bernard (resized).jpeg
3loguy (resized).jpg
big-hunk-4 (resized).jpg
Oprah-Flu-Shot-meme-300x217 (resized).png

This topic is closed.

There are 2,456 posts in this topic. You are on page 24 of 50.
#1151 4 years ago

Got mine over a week ago with no ill results.

#1152 4 years ago
Quoted from DRDAVE:

But but but the "science" and the "research".

So another vote in the “anecdote > science & research” column then?

#1153 4 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

Yeah, found that in an unrelated topic on the web but thought it was interesting.
I wonder how badly the reported flu epidemic will be this year? Seems as though all sorts of things are coming back; measles, etc.

Msm will most likely hype it up ...

#1154 4 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

So another vote in the “anecdote > science & research” column then?

This I find interesting.

How many anecdotes would it take to outweigh "science and research" for you? I'm genuinely interested in a number or situation in which you'd say "Hey, I know the package says X, but ### people have said Y, and now I'm starting to wonder."

I think anyone that blindly follows either camp isn't thinking it through.

#1155 4 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

This I find interesting. How many anecdotes would it take to outweigh "science and research" for you? I'm genuinely interested in a number or situation in which you'd say "Hey, I know the package says X, but ### people have said Y, and now I'm starting to wonder."
I think anyone that blindly follows either camp isn't thinking it through.

How many anecdotes would I want to see to "outweigh" science and research? It's all about context. If the scientific theory is that faster than light travel is impossible, one credible account of faster than light travel is enough to call that theory into serious doubt. If the scientific theory is that a flu shot reduces your odds of getting the flu by an average of 60% (depending on the efficacy of that year's vaccine, of course) and does not itself cause the flu, and we know that the flu vaccine takes a few weeks to kick in, that most people cannot distinguish the flu from the dozens of other cold-like illnesses that circulate each winter, and that human beings have a tenancy to confuse proximity in time with causation, then it's going to take more than a handful of people posting on a message board about the times their wife got sick "right after" getting the flu shot to overcome decades of epidemiological data and studies. For me, at least.

Clearly science can be wrong. The thing that differentiates science from religion is that science announces right up front that it can be wrong -- everything in science is always subject to revision if reliable new data comes in and existing theories no longer work. So when I put myself in the science "camp" I'm not saying that all the theories science has on offer today are correct -- no one with any amount of science education thinks that's what "science" means. All I'm saying is that I accept a scientific approach to understanding the world.

#1156 4 years ago

Yes, I agree with you (but I still don't get a flu shot for my own reasons). I guess I was thrown off by your wording. Some people believe everything they're told (either side is guilty).

Speaking of faster than light, how about that Nimitz encounter? This should fall into your first analogy. Either something moves incredibly fast, or someone is lying. Either case should be changing our views faster than they are.

#1157 4 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

Yes, I agree with you (but I still don't get a flu shot for my own reasons). I guess I was thrown off by your wording. Some people believe everything they're told (either side is guilty).

I was just responding to the guy with the sarcastic, dismissive take on science and research that suggests something that disagrees with his personal point of view. Seems to be an increasingly common point of view these days. Which is probably too bad if we're hoping to maintain our dominance over the earth for another thousand years.

Quoted from RonSS:

Speaking of faster than light, how about that Nimitz encounter? This should fall into your first analogy. Either something moves incredibly fast, or someone is lying. Either case should be changing our views faster than they are.

I haven't read a ton on the Nimitz encounter, but I'm not sure if it directly touches on the speed of light. It certainly falls into the category of "UFO" and is fun to imagine and debate what it might be, though.

#1158 4 years ago
FB_IMG_1559425496068 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1559425496068 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1569833909414 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1569833909414 (resized).jpg
#1159 4 years ago

If you haven't read the actual "Vaccine Insert" that comes in the box with the vial, you don't have a leg to stand on. It says:
A. It is ineffective and
B. It has side effects.

These are the two lies perpetrated by all OTHER documentation you may have seen.

Go to walgreens and ask for it. It's tiny print, not the single page that says "safe and effective".

#1160 4 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

If you haven't read the actual "Vaccine Insert" that comes in the box with the vial, you don't have a leg to stand on. It says:
A. It is ineffective and
B. It has side effects.
These are the two lies perpetrated by all OTHER documentation you may have seen.
Go to walgreens and ask for it. It's tiny print, not the single page.

Can you provide the paragraph that had “it is ineffective”, so we can take it in contex. Also, water has “side effects”, heck, death is one of them...

#1161 4 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

Can you provide the paragraph that had “it is ineffective”, so we can take it in contex. Also, water has “side effects”, heck, death is one of them...

I just told you where to find it for yourself. That's what I did years ago. It tells how effective it is and I don't remember the number, but its nowhere near 100%, ergo, it is ineffective.

#1162 4 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

I just told you where to find it for yourself. That's what I did years ago. It tells how effective it is and I don't remember the number, but its nowhere near 100%, ergo, it is ineffective.

Nothing with the human body is 100%...and if your going to put out there “facts”, then you better be ready to back them up.

#1163 4 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

What!? So not 100% = ineffective?

#1164 4 years ago

They went and self quarantined the senior center where mom is at. Major flu outbreak.

Mom is 97 and like one of the only ones that didn't get the shot. She is also one that did not get sick.

#1165 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

They went and self quarantined the senior center where mom is at. Major flu outbreak.
Mom is 97 and like one of the only ones that didn't get the shot. She is also one that did not get sick.

Denial is more than a river in Egypt. Damn our lying eyes.

#1166 4 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

What!? So not 100% = ineffective?

Yes. "effective" is 100%. What is the number that you would consider effective? 61%, 31%? You tell me what effective means to you. They don't say sort of effective or a little effective. They say "safe and effective"... lies.

#1167 4 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

Nothing with the human body is 100%...and if your going to put out there “facts”, then you better be ready to back them up.

Some people are 100% sure they have a bad reaction to it. Do you deny this as well? Is a bad reaction "safe"? Again, have you reviewed the NVIC fund payouts or are you a parrot?

#1168 4 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

Some people are 100% sure they have a bad reaction to it. Do you deny this as well? Is a bad reaction "safe"? Again, have you reviewed the NVIC fund payouts or are you a parrot?

I see. Believe what you want. I will believe what I want. No animosity. I will accept my consequences and you will accept yours. There is no fight anymore.

#1169 4 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:Yes. "effective" is 100%. What is the number that you would consider effective? 61%, 31%? You tell me what effective means to you. They don't say sort of effective or a little effective. They say "safe and effective"... lies.

You are living in a black and white world. I wish you luck. Death and taxes as they say.

#1170 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Yikes! Sorry to hear she's stuck there! Glad she's not ill with the flu.

#1171 4 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

You are living in a black and white world. I wish you luck. Death and taxes as they say.

My point is that you are no more sure that it is safe and effective than I am sure it is unsafe and ineffective. That's fine until you start to bully me.

#1172 4 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

My point is that you are no more sure that it is safe and effective than I am sure it is unsafe and ineffective. That's fine until you start to bully me.

Ok.

For the record, I'm not bullying anyone. I don't get the shot...
Though I'm pretty sure you were speaking generally, not me specifically

#1173 4 years ago

Did someone really talk shit about NASA in this thread?

#1174 4 years ago

Public health/epidemiology 101 on this subject. Get an influenza shot: no guarantees and it absolutely beats the alternative. Anyone ever had influenza? I have and it was horrible.

#1175 4 years ago
Quoted from reynolds531:

Get an influenza shot

I believe the op's question was "do you get a flu shot?" Not "do you often tell others what to do?"
We're all grown men now. We don't need another mama. Although mine would tell me not to.

Quoted from PinballNewb:

Best movie studio east of Hollywood!

#1176 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

..Best movie studio east of Hollywood!

Are we brothers from different mothers? Are you a 'bear', too? If you don't know what I mean, PM me.

#1177 4 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

Are you a 'bear', too? If you don't know what I mean, PM me.

Now there’s a twist I did not see coming.

#1178 4 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Now there’s a twist I did not see coming.

You didn't see it coming...from Sad Sack...an old school piece of shit?

#1179 4 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

That's what I did years ago

Better look at what it says for the newer vaccines then.

#1180 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballNewb:

You know ever since the fake moon landing Nasa can't be trusted lol

#1181 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I believe the op's question was "do you get a flu shot?" Not "do you often tell others what to do?"
We're all grown men now. We don't need another mama. Although mine would tell me not to.

Best movie studio east of Hollywood!

Stanley Kubrick did a great job.

#1182 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballNewb:

No, but I posted a link.

#1183 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Wait, we’re all talking about this kind of bear, right?
423C226A-022C-4918-B37B-74EC13AFD0D6 (resized).jpeg423C226A-022C-4918-B37B-74EC13AFD0D6 (resized).jpeg

#1184 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Thanks for your respect.

#1185 4 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

[quoted image]

No, but it's obvious where your mind is.

#1186 4 years ago

Hey folks, read those previous comments and compare them to my entire history on this board. Even the thickest must see I won the debate. And people wonder why most of the pin community think pinside is for d-bags. Gamma pussies.

bear (resized).jpegbear (resized).jpeg
#1187 4 years ago

hierarchy (resized).pnghierarchy (resized).png
"The weak (gammas) think the strong (alpha, sigma) should take one for the team. The strong didn't get that way by bowing to the weak."

#1188 4 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

Better look at what it says for the newer vaccines then.

No thanks. I haven't had the flu for decades. I haven't had a flu shot since the early 90s when I didn't know any better. I think that was the last time I had "the flu".

#1189 4 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

[quoted image]

And the mods say the shit I post is offensive.That is disturbing.

#1190 4 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

Hey folks, read those previous comments and compare them to my entire history on this board. Even the thickest must see I won the debate. And people wonder why most of the pin community think pinside is for d-bags. Gamma pussies.[quoted image]

Is this for real?

#1191 4 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Is this for real?

I never called anyone a piece of shit or gay. They just felt that way after they read my comment. The truth often hurts.

#1192 4 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

[quoted image]
"The weak (gammas) think the strong (alpha, sigma) should take one for the team. The strong didn't get that way by bowing to the weak."

The triggered alpha.

#1193 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballNewb:

The triggered alpha.

ah.. sigma. I have no affinity for betas and below. I am friends with other sigmas and alphas. I don't dislike any but gammas. I see them as sneaky little parasites. You have to enter the matrix to fight the matrix. You have to understand the socio-sexual hierarchy to extract yourself from it.

#1194 4 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

ah.. sigma. I have no affinity for betas and below. I am friends with other sigmas and alphas. I don't dislike any but gammas. I see them as sneaky little parasites. You have to enter the matrix to fight the matrix. You have to understand the socio-sexual hierarchy to extract yourself from it.

oneangrymo says they all live in Indiana.

#1195 4 years ago

A persons lack of knowledge is understandable.
A persons right to express free speech is protected in the USA and I totally support it.
The overall lack of knowledge and application of logical thought here is understandable, but disappointing.

The desire to dominate the thread with anecdotes and unproven claims is bizarre.

Immunology is an extremely complex subject, even among those with scientific education and training. Distilling it to a meme, anecdote or news headline is a disservice to those that advance science through hard work and dedication.

#1196 4 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

A persons lack of knowledge is understandable.
A persons right to express free speech is protected in the USA and I totally support it.
The overall lack of knowledge and application of logical thought here is understandable, but disappointing.
The desire to dominate the thread with anecdotes and unproven claims is bizarre.
Immunology is an extremely complex subject, even among those with scientific education and training. Distilling it to a meme, anecdote or news headline is a disservice to those that advance science through hard work and dedication.

You mean like "safe and effective"?

#1197 4 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

chips (resized).jpgchips (resized).jpg
#1198 4 years ago
Quoted from reynolds531:

Public health/epidemiology 101 on this subject. Get an influenza shot: no guarantees and it absolutely beats the alternative. Anyone ever had influenza? I have and it was horrible.

If they said jumping off a bridge will keep you from getting the flu would you do that too?

#1199 4 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

[quoted image]

Ah yes. Another Vox Day fan and Owen Benjamin fan. Good to know you brother. =)

#1200 4 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Got my annual flu shot last weekend. In and out in 15 mins. Arm was midly sore the first night but that's it. Now I'm invincible!

Please check back with us in a month or so....

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
3,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Jesup, GA
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
Cabinet parts
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 27.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal
Toppers
$ 16.00
Playfield - Decals
Lermods
Decals
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations
Toys/Add-ons
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
$ 130.00
Electronics
KAHR.US Circuits
Electronics
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
6,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Yonkers, NY
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals
Decals
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
There are 2,456 posts in this topic. You are on page 24 of 50.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-get-a-sesonal-flu-shot/page/24?hl=manadams and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.