View topic image gallery

SpitefulBronzeCob-size_restricted.gif
pasted_image (resized).png
3mbp20 (resized).jpg
3mbi8o (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpg
MoonBearPig (resized).png
Unknown (resized).jpg
Charles-Darwin-quote-about-evolution-from-On-The-Origin-of-Species-1a3090 (resized).jpg
178DD1B0-CC39-4FD9-9AA5-B5E56B3F8799 (resized).png
ot-plasticplague-garbagepatchmap (resized).jpg
a-man-is-known-by-the-company-he-keeps (resized).jpg
Unknown (resized).jpg
bernard (resized).jpeg
3loguy (resized).jpg
big-hunk-4 (resized).jpg
Oprah-Flu-Shot-meme-300x217 (resized).png

This topic is closed.

There are 2,456 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 50.
#951 4 years ago
Quoted from madtown:

Vaccines can cause injury.....there is a website specifically to track them. The government even put a limit on how much you can sue for if you get injured.

All true. It’s important for people to understand that like any medical treats not, vaccines are not risk-free (along with the fact that the likelihood of a bad reaction to a vaccine is generally extremely small).

The limits on liability for vaccine-related injuries are tied into the National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program, which from their website “is a Federal ‘no-fault’ system designed to compensate individuals, or families of individuals, who have been injured by childhood vaccines, whether administered in the private or public sector.” Two purposes as I understand it: make sure that people get paid consistently and quickly if they do get injured, and limit liability to encourage companies to keep making low-profit vaccines, which they might otherwise not do (at least historically this has been a real problem, and not just the usual corporate grousing). Again, good stuff to know about, all in the context of very low rates of vaccine-related injury.

#952 4 years ago

Government lying is also real thing.

Just saying.

2 sides of this argument, doubt anyone is switching.

Choose your poison as they say.

#953 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

All this theory is great, until bacteria and viruses that keep getting fought with antibiotics and vaccinations mutate into stronger versions of themselves in order to survive.

#954 4 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

Government lying is also real thing.
Just saying.
2 sides of this argument, doubt anyone is switching.
Choose your poison as they say.

The problem with choosing not to get the vaccine is that it isn't just a personal choice. People who choose that also negatively affect the health of people around them.

Compare it to the same reason you can no longer smoke in the vast majority of public places. You can do almost anything you want to your own body, but it sucks if your decisions impact others.

The government may lie, I don't disagree with you there, but the science behind this all is sound.

#955 4 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Science denial is a real thing, and dangerous.

There's no denying there are plenty of mad scientists out there.

Who knows what all they are cooking up in their laboratories these days just waiting to be unleashed on the world.

#956 4 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

The problem with choosing not to get the vaccine is that it isn't just a personal choice. People who choose that also negatively affect the health of people around them.
Compare it to the same reason you can no longer smoke in the vast majority of public places. You can do almost anything you want to your own body, but it sucks if your decisions impact others.
The government may lie, I don't disagree with you there, but the science behind this all is sound.

How does it affect anyone who has chosen to get a vaccine?

#957 4 years ago

He's just tooting his horn again.

There are plenty of sick vaccinated people that have no problem coming into my work and sharing their sickness with me.

They think it's OK now just because they got a shot.

#958 4 years ago

You guys hear of “shedding” ?

Recently vaccinated people shedding the virus getting others sick around them.

#959 4 years ago
Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

I don't know if it's called shedding, but the coughing and sneezing and snot running out their nose out in public sure is real.

"I'm vaccinated, let's go shopping!"

#960 4 years ago

See, this whole deal about those not getting vaccinated putting others at risk and not being considerate is a whole crock of shit when you consider some vaccinated people don't give a shit about anybody around them but themselves either.

In fact, those are the kind of people that really only care about themselves and their wants and needs, from what I gather.

Edit- added the word "some"

#961 4 years ago

Easily debunked with a quick google...

"Viral shedding is part of the mechanism of virus transmission. Shedding is impossible with killed vaccines or those made using only isolated proteins (most vaccines fall into one of these two classes), but a small number of vaccines contain live attenuated virus which can theoretically infect others."

Small number.

#962 4 years ago

In honor of shedding, I think I might go to where they are handing out shots, where people feel secure that they are no longer a threat to others and shed a little gas.

#963 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

In honor of shedding, ...

What if Pinside got vaccinated so it couldn't "shed" you out of 90% of threads & topics?

#964 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

What if Pinside got vaccinated so it couldn't "shed" you out of 90% of threads & topics?

It tried that once, but I mutated.

#965 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

How does it affect anyone who has chosen to get a vaccine?

See prior post re: "herd immunity" and fact that vaccines are almost never 100% effective:

Quoted from fosaisu:

The "herd immunity" concept is pretty intuitive if you step back and look at it. Start with the assumption that vaccines are not 100% effective (few things are in this imperfect world), so the best way to protect yourself from disease is to not get exposed to it in the first place. But of course that's impossible unless you lock yourself in your home, since it's often hard to tell who is a carrier. That's where vaccines come in. If you get vaccinated for whooping cough (about 80% effective) that gives you decent protection, but if no one else in your work and social groups is vaccinated and whooping cough sweeps through your region, then you're going to be exposed more, and your vaccine-boosted resistance is going to be repeatedly tested. If most people in your work and social groups are vaccinated, far fewer of them will contract whooping cough, and you'll get much less exposure as a result. And if you happen to contract whooping cough anyway, you'll be far less likely to spread the disease on to others since they've got a higher level of protection from their vaccinations as well.
So "herd immunity" is just a numbers game. Boosting the overall immunity of the "herd" decreases the likelihood of epidemics sweeping through the herd, and decreases any individual within the herd's likelihood of getting sick. No guarantees for any individual, just better odds if we all pull together.

Doesn't mean you have to change your behavior. But if you're claiming your decision not to get vaccinated has zero effect on anyone else, you are wrong.

#966 4 years ago

Two purposes as I understand it: make sure that people get paid consistently and quickly if they do get injured, and limit liability to encourage companies to keep making low-profit vaccines, which they might otherwise not do.

I.e. they got sued by too many people for too much money so they had to make a limit. Thats one of my issues.

#967 4 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

See prior post re: "herd immunity" and fact that vaccines are almost never 100% effective:

Doesn't mean you have to change your behavior. But if you're claiming your decision not to get vaccinated has zero effect on anyone else, you are wrong.

Exactly. So if vaccines are never 100%, then getting them isnt worth it to a lot of people. And the herd immunity is just a theory anyways. Would only work under perfect conditions.. not realistic.

#968 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Would only work under perfect conditions.. not realistic.

download (2) (resized).jpgdownload (2) (resized).jpg
#969 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

[quoted image]

hahhaa, aint that the truth!

#970 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

hahhaa, aint that the truth!

If you saw the people lining up at Walmart to get flu shots, that would be very obvious.

#971 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

If you saw the people lining up at walmart to get flu shots, that would be very obvious.

The same place getting everyone sick is the place giving out the remedy... interesting isnt it? lol

#972 4 years ago
Quoted from madtown:

Two purposes as I understand it: make sure that people get paid consistently and quickly if they do get injured, and limit liability to encourage companies to keep making low-profit vaccines, which they might otherwise not do. I.e. they got sued by too many people for too much money so they had to make a limit. Thats one of my issues.

Right. In a normal scenario, you'd just set the price of your drug high enough to cover the cost of side-effect lawsuits (which you'll get with almost any medicine, or any product for that matter). But you can't easily do that with vaccines, which generally only work really well when enough people get them, which sort of requires that they be cheap and plentifully available.

If you're a pharma company CEO and your big plan is to make a fortune on vaccines, your board and shareholders will shitcan you faster than you can blink. The real drug money's elsewhere -- painkillers, baldness cures, erectile dysfunction, chronic indigestion -- and there's plenty more cash to be made before the whole system runs to ground and we wind up with socialized medicine.

#973 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

The same place getting everyone sick is the place giving out the remedy... interesting isnt it? lol

I'm trying to figure out if they go to the McDonalds first or get the shot first.

Next time I'm in there, that might make a good research project.

#974 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I'm trying to figure out if they go to the McDonalds first or get the shot first.
Next time I'm in there, that might make a good research project.

I might get the flu shot if we can combine a #1 value meal into the injection as well....

#975 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

I might get the flu shot if we can combine a #1 value meal into the injection as well....

Supersize it!

#976 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Exactly. So if vaccines are never 100%, then getting them isnt worth it to a lot of people.

Sure, some folks can't really wrap their head around odds and probabilities. There's still a cost/benefit decision to be made and that's yours to make, my only beef is if you're trying to publicly justify your decision with demonstrably false statements.

Quoted from Rager170:

And the herd immunity is just a theory anyways.

Yes, herd immunity is "just a theory." Gravity is also just a theory. The planets revolving around the sun is also just a theory. Theories are all that science can ever produce. One issue is that most people don't understand what scientists mean by the word "theory," and that there's a wide range of certainty among scientific theories such that criticizing something as being "just a theory" has little meaning. But if you want unshakable certainty, you'll have to go to church.

Quoted from Rager170:

Would only work under perfect conditions.. not realistic.

Incorrect. Herd immunity works under far less than perfect conditions. It can never guarantee that you as an individual won't get sick (you'll need to maintain perfect isolation if you want that), but who promised you that? It's just increasing your odds of not getting sick, along with the odds of everyone else in the "herd."

#977 4 years ago

Perhaps if they stopped using that word.

download (3) (resized).jpgdownload (3) (resized).jpg
#978 4 years ago

Hey, you guys "herd" about that new hpv thing?

Better get all children immunized quickly! All I see are commercials, so it must be urgent. Real guilt trip stuff. No time to think!

Seriously though, I'm surprised we don't see more flu shot commercials scaring us. Just smiling faces of where to get them.

#979 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Perhaps if they stopped using that word.

"Herd" is bad branding, maybe, but it's on-point scientifically. I think one of the big disconnects today is that scientists are not very good at communicating their results to a non-expert audience, and are shocked when politicians and talking heads (who often know little about the underlying issues but are good at communicating basic points in compelling ways) seize the wheel.

I'm admittedly a pessimist, but I think we've essentially run up against the limits of human cognition. We're evolved to hunt, gather, and respond to the social dynamics of a tribe of 20-150 people, not to comprehend or make intelligent decisions about mass-society, biology, chemistry, climate science, and the like. Now that we've developed the technology to meaningfully meddle with those things, we're probably hosed. Oh well, humans have had a pretty good run, glad I'm lucky enough to be alive today and enjoy some of the fruits of all that work (pinball and beer, specifically) before it all goes south.

#980 4 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

Hey, you guys "herd" about that new hpv thing?
Better get all children immunized quickly!

As soon as mine is old enough.

#981 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

As soon as mine is old enough.

I just worry about the urgency aspect. Seems as though we're led further and further without any discussion. What's worse is we are informed through a drug ad on tv.

Who pays for that ad I wonder? Besides the public I mean. Is it a WHO advertisement? Is it a Big Pharma buying the air time? Would be interesting to know.

#982 4 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

We're evolved to hunt, gather, and respond to the social dynamics of a tribe of 20-150 people, not to comprehend or make intelligent decisions about mass-society, biology, chemistry, climate science,

See, I've never thought of myself as part of a herd.

And when you live in an place that is way more crowded than it used to be, with a lot of obese, unhealthy people and it's having an affect on the way of life you are used to, it isn't bad in my mind to just let nature take it's course.

#983 4 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

I just worry about the urgency aspect. Seems as though we're led further and further without any discussion. What's worse is we are informed through a drug ad on tv.

Well I don't really get the "urgency" part of what you're saying, so let's put that aside.
Maybe you were informed by a TV commercial, but the vaccine has been used for over 10 years around the world. It's sort of like old news by now.

Quoted from RonSS:

Who pays for that ad I wonder? Besides the public I mean. Is it a WHO advertisement? Is it a Big Pharma buying the air time? Would be interesting to know.

Look at the bottom of the commercial and it will tell you the company that pays for the ad. It's a commercial, you don't have to wonder whom pays for a Coke commercial, Coke does. You don't have to wonder whom makes boner pill commercials, Pfizer does.
They have to try to get all the monies they can before the generic drugs come in.

#984 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

See, I've never thought of myself as part of a herd.

Well from the flu's perspective, you're definitely part of a herd, just one more potential host!

Quoted from o-din:

And when you live in an place that is way more crowded than it used to be, with a lot of obese, unhealthy people and it's having an affect on the way of life you are used to, it isn't bad in my mind to just let nature take it's course.

Fair point, vaccines aren't the only decision we make that affects others. We're social animals (even if you don't want to belong to a herd), and pretty much everything we do has some kind of consequences for other people.

#985 4 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

I just worry about the urgency aspect. Seems as though we're led further and further without any discussion.

Quoted from TheLaw:

Well I don't really get the "urgency" part of what you're saying, so let's put that aside.

I assume he's asking why they want his 11 year old to get the HVP vaccine.

Answer: Most kids still go to the doctor regularly when they're 11 so doing it then increases the chance they'll get vaccinated well before they become sexually active. I'd bet that annual physical rates drop off as kids enter high school.

#986 4 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

I assume he's asking why they want his 11 year old to get the HVP vaccine.

Oh if that's the case I don't know why they make them wait so long! I'd roll it right into the OG baby shots if possible.

#987 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Oh if that's the case I don't know why they make them wait so long! I'd roll it right into the OG baby shots if possible.

If condoms are used HPV is not a problem. Since STD are pretty much rampant I would never go scuba diving without a wetsuit

#988 4 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

If condoms are used HPV is not a problem.

You have a daughter and a grandaughter right? What happens if the bad men raped them? You'd want them protected from cancer.
I mean, I sure as shit do.

EDIT: Too "far out?" OK how aboot when your daughter's piece of shit husband cheated on her? What if she ended up getting cancer becasue that rat bastard went behind her back?

#989 4 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Sure, some folks can't really wrap their head around odds and probabilities. There's still a cost/benefit decision to be made and that's yours to make, my only beef is if you're trying to publicly justify your decision with demonstrably false statements.

Yes, herd immunity is "just a theory." Gravity is also just a theory. The planets revolving around the sun is also just a theory. Theories are all that science can ever produce. One issue is that most people don't understand what scientists mean by the word "theory," and that there's a wide range of certainty among scientific theories such that criticizing something as being "just a theory" has little meaning. But if you want unshakable certainty, you'll have to go to church.

Incorrect. Herd immunity works under far less than perfect conditions. It can never guarantee that you as an individual won't get sick (you'll need to maintain perfect isolation if you want that), but who promised you that? It's just increasing your odds of not getting sick, along with the odds of everyone else in the "herd."

In this case, “theory” is just an idea and far from being accurate. Hence the reason for so much back and forth debate over the issue.

#990 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

You have a daughter and a grandaughter right? What happens if the bad men raped them? You'd want them protected from cancer.
EDIT: Too "far out?" OK how aboot when your daughter's piece of shit husband cheated on her? What if she ended up getting cancer becasue that rat bastard went behind her back?

Man, if everyones is going to prepare for the worst case scenario to such extremes, might as well never leave the house.

#991 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Well you got me there

#992 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Maybe you were informed by a TV commercial, but the vaccine has been used for over 10 years around the world. It's sort of like old news by now.

Fair enough, that's news to me. I only saw aggressive advertising the past 3 years or so.

Perhaps we are entering the remainder of allotted time before the generic equivalent is available, thus the rush (in my eyes)?

Thanks

#993 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Man, if everyones is going to prepare for the worst case scenario to such extremes, might as well never leave the house.

Some are heading to Uranus.

#994 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

In this case, “theory” is just an idea and far from being accurate.

What's your basis for saying that "herd immunity" is a far from accurate and "just an idea?" I'll admit I'm not an epidemiologist so I'm not expert, but the basic concept seems pretty straightforward to me, and I think it's well supported by studies.

#995 4 years ago

A good example of "herd immunity" is how they took care of the cattle in the 1963 Paul Newman movie "Hud".

download (5) (resized).jpgdownload (5) (resized).jpg
#996 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I'd like to see the actuarial analysis of this scenario.

#997 4 years ago

As I’m out here harvesting this beautiful bounty of organic produce today, I can’t help but wonder if perfect health isn’t as simple as soil, seeds & water?
C032C58A-25F5-4492-86F3-9486F2660D90 (resized).jpegC032C58A-25F5-4492-86F3-9486F2660D90 (resized).jpeg8BCA5357-47F2-458A-824F-A1E474C6F84A (resized).jpeg8BCA5357-47F2-458A-824F-A1E474C6F84A (resized).jpeg910F9AD9-47B5-45B3-8ECF-9C6ACE2320F6 (resized).jpeg910F9AD9-47B5-45B3-8ECF-9C6ACE2320F6 (resized).jpegAD5379CD-C81C-4EEA-AEB3-8C5F9C07FE7D (resized).jpegAD5379CD-C81C-4EEA-AEB3-8C5F9C07FE7D (resized).jpeg

#998 4 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

What's your basis for saying that "herd immunity" is a far from accurate and "just an idea?" I'll admit I'm not an epidemiologist so I'm not expert, but the basic concept seems pretty straightforward to me, and I think it's well supported by studies.

Its concept is easy to understand and does make sense, but its just not possible to be done in reality due to all the factors that go against it. Yes, theres science supporting it but theres also science against it to be taken into account.

#999 4 years ago

I can’t help but wonder if perfect health is as simple as soil, seeds & water?

Need plenty of sunshine too. Clean air optional.

#1000 4 years ago

Here's some more interesting reading about the center that has our health and well being as their top priority.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2017/01/04/cdc-secret-lab-incidents-select-agents/95972126/

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 16.00
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Vista, CA
$ 1.00
Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bellefonte, PA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 12.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RavSpec

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

1,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Myers, FL
$ 599.95
Cabinet - Toppers
Hi-Rez Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 26.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Blackwood, NJ
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 2,456 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 50.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-get-a-sesonal-flu-shot/page/20 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.