View topic image gallery

SpitefulBronzeCob-size_restricted.gif
pasted_image (resized).png
3mbp20 (resized).jpg
3mbi8o (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpg
MoonBearPig (resized).png
Unknown (resized).jpg
Charles-Darwin-quote-about-evolution-from-On-The-Origin-of-Species-1a3090 (resized).jpg
178DD1B0-CC39-4FD9-9AA5-B5E56B3F8799 (resized).png
ot-plasticplague-garbagepatchmap (resized).jpg
a-man-is-known-by-the-company-he-keeps (resized).jpg
Unknown (resized).jpg
bernard (resized).jpeg
3loguy (resized).jpg
big-hunk-4 (resized).jpg
Oprah-Flu-Shot-meme-300x217 (resized).png

This topic is closed.

There are 2,456 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 50.
#701 5 years ago

Got my shot last week. Absolutely no pain and no soreness afterward. Last year I didn’t get the shot and was miserable for a week. I guess time will tell .....
Hope everyone has a healthy Fall and Winter!

#702 5 years ago

The internet.

Where you can absolutely argue with others that will never agree with you for as long as you like.

#703 5 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

I always look at the source of information. Jeremy R Hammond doesn’t seem unbiased or trustworthy. It’s always very concerning when someone claims to be an expert of information but it’s seems to be all opinions and blogs.

Funny, I find people are usually impressed when I tell them I got my data from “some guy named Jeremy that has his own blog.”

#704 5 years ago

This sticker was on a box of vitamins & minerals I ordered years ago. I'm surprised I found it. It's from 18 years ago. Is it accurate?
Also, we rank 1st healthcare spending & 38th in quality of healthcare!?

IMG_20181021_221423085 (resized).jpgIMG_20181021_221423085 (resized).jpgwho-world-healthcare-rankings-most-expensive (resized).jpgwho-world-healthcare-rankings-most-expensive (resized).jpg
#705 5 years ago

All the proof I need.

flu (resized).jpgflu (resized).jpg
#706 5 years ago
Quoted from WJxxxx:

All the proof I need.
[quoted image]

Seems legit. Anyone have any meth? For medicinal purposes only, of course.

3 weeks later
#707 5 years ago

I dont see why you would get the vaccine. There is a chance you could get injured. I will take my chances with the flu.

#708 5 years ago
Quoted from madtown:

I dont see why you would get the vaccine. There is a chance you could get injured. I will take my chances with the flu.

I dont see why you wouldn’t get the vaccine. There is a chance you could get injured by the flu. I will take my chances with the vaccine.

#709 5 years ago

Perfect. Lowering my risk. Thanks

Quoted from fosaisu:

I dont see why you wouldn’t get the vaccine. There is a chance you could get injured by the flu. I will take my chances with the vaccine.

#710 5 years ago

Heck NO!

#711 5 years ago
Quoted from madtown:

Perfect. Lowering my risk. Thanks

You’re welcome.

#712 5 years ago

I have MS...and have gotten my flu shot. In a free society, each to there own. That is a free society.

#713 5 years ago

In the interest of science, I will stay in the control group that has never had a flu shot.

#714 5 years ago
Quoted from Matesamo:

I follow my doctors advise on my heart condition, I follow my doctors advice on general health issues, I follow my doctors advise on medications I need to take so I certainly trust his advise to get a flu shot every year.

You trust your doctor a lot, I don't.

They are human like anyone else and prone to group think. I questioned mine (who I have known casually over a decade) about a tetanus shot he gave me and found out I knew more about tetanus than he did. Shot made me brutally sick for three days and found out afterwords for some reason vaccines had been introduced into tetanus shots. Not nice.

I work in the healthcare industry and decline flu shots. The CDC is on record as to "guessing" as to which strains of flu "might" be prevalent for a given year and more often than not wrong. Between that, the possible listed side effects and some of the contents of the flu shot which is also listed right on the CDC website I'll take my chances.

#715 5 years ago

Every time I got the flu shot I fell ill within 48 hours afterwards. So I don't get the shot anymore. It's important to wash your hands and avoiding touching stuff lots of other people touch. Shopping carts, door handles, etc. and the rubbing you eyes, picking your nose, etc. that's how the virus enters your body in the first place. Also avoid sneezing people that come to work despite being sick so that they can get everybody else sick as well.

#716 5 years ago
Quoted from Yoski:

It's important to wash your hands and avoiding touching stuff lots of other people touch. Shopping carts, door handles, etc. and the rubbing you eyes, picking your nose, etc. that's how the virus enters your body in the first place.

This. A 1000 times this.

I started working in healthcare around 2005 and before that would get ill at least once or twice a year. Once I started in healthcare with all the training that came with it I became acutely aware exactly where my hands were at all times and what I touched last. Hand washing several times a day is common and I'll not touch my face at all unless my hands have been washed first.

The number of illness that have struck me since? Effectively zero. I even just asked the Mrs. and she stated once in 5 years maybe.

Most people touch hundreds if not thousands of items daily that have been handled by other people, you have no idea if they even bother with minimum sanitation methods. Door knobs, handrails, shopping carts, money, etc. When I can I will use an elbow to open a door if possible rather than touching it with my hands, avoid using hand rails if practical and don't shake hands with residents or short timers. If I must out of politeness, the hand sanitizer is just a few steps away and will use it before leaving the room.

Hand washing and situational awareness of your hands goes a long way to staying healthy.

#717 5 years ago

I get flu shot every year as recommended by Dr. As of 5 days ago I was tested and diagnosed w/Influenza B(Flu runs type A B C w/A being worst) and it has been debilitating. Prescribed Tamiflue which is supposed to ease the symptoms, but as I sit here posting I am no better than I was. Have to call Dr. tomorrow.

Stay healthy everyone.

#718 5 years ago
Quoted from Cash_Riprock:

I get flu shot every year as recommended by Dr. As of 5 days ago I was tested and diagnosed w/Influenza B(Flu runs type A B C w/A being worst) and it has been debilitating. Prescribed Tamiflue which is supposed to ease the symptoms, but as I sit here posting I am no better than I was. Have to call Dr. tomorrow.
Stay healthy everyone.

Hope you're well soon.

#719 5 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

This. A 1000 times this.
I started working in healthcare around 2005 and before that would get ill at least once or twice a year. Once I started in healthcare with all the training that came with it I became acutely aware exactly where my hands were at all times and what I touched last. Hand washing several times a day is common and I'll not touch my face at all unless my hands have been washed first.
The number of illness that have struck me since? Effectively zero. I even just asked the Mrs. and she stated once in 5 years maybe.
Most people touch hundreds if not thousands of items daily that have been handled by other people, you have no idea if they even bother with minimum sanitation methods. Door knobs, handrails, shopping carts, money, etc. When I can I will use an elbow to open a door if possible rather than touching it with my hands, avoid using hand rails if practical and don't shake hands with residents or short timers. If I must out of politeness, the hand sanitizer is just a few steps away and will use it before leaving the room.
Hand washing and situational awareness of your hands goes a long way to staying healthy.

I’m often regarded as disrespectful irl due to my almost non existent hand shaking...I just can’t get over the thought of all the sticky situations hands be in...

#720 5 years ago
Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

I’m often regarded as disrespectful irl due to my almost non existent hand shaking...I just can’t get over the thought of all the sticky situations hands be in...

I work in a nursing facility with long term residents and post acute clientele with a variety of illnesses, conditions and dementia, just let your imagination roam.

MRSA, C.Diff, VRE even the odd case of HIV time to time. If it says precautions on the door we mask up, safety glasses, gowns and gloves.

#721 5 years ago
Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

Who wants to shake the hand of some random guy off CL anyway?

1 week later
#723 5 years ago

The flu shot doesn't work instantly, takes a few weeks to kick in. So if your mother already had the flu, or was exposed soon after getting the shot, it wouldn't have prevented it. Like all vaccines, the protection it provides is imperfect, so it's also possible to still get the flu after the shot takes effect (just much less likely). And of course she (and you) could have caught some other bug with similar symptoms.

But bottom line, you cannot contract the flu from the flu shot. It's like trying to find gold in a silver mine. It's like trying to drink whiskey from a bottle of wine.

#724 5 years ago

[Dupe]

#725 5 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

So if your mother already had the flu....

How aboot the obvious fact she didn't? How aboot the fact people still think the flu is a cold. How aboot the old 24 hour flu, is there a vaccine for that?

#726 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

How aboot the obvious fact she didn't? How aboot the fact people still think the flu is a cold. How aboot the old 24 hour flu, is there a vaccine for that?

If you waded through my post, I eventually got around to this possibility in sentence four!

#727 5 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

If you waded through my post, I eventually got around to this possibility in sentence four!

TL DR!!!!

I just go straight to that one now. "Oh my god my anus was on fire I had the 24 hour flu after eating bad sushi!"

#728 5 years ago

OMG, Americans have become so anti-science, the rest of the world just shakes their heads in disbelief.

1. YOU CAN'T GET THE FLU FROM A FLU SHOT. PERIOD.

Sure, some guy who is an uncle of a friend of a guy's wife you met at a pond party, said he got sick after he got a flu shot.

The Flu shot takes TWO WEEKS to immunize your body.

So if you got the Flu right after getting your shot, OBVIOUSLY you were too late in getting the vaccine to prevent it.

#729 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Sure, some guy who is an uncle of a friend of a guy's wife you met at a pond party, said he got sick after he got a flu shot.

See below!

#730 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

OMG,

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

Simone (resized).pngSimone (resized).png
#731 5 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Hope you're well soon.

Thank you kindly jrpinball. On the mend and back to work for the 1st time in 2 weeks.

#732 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

OMG, Americans have become so anti-science, the rest of the world just shakes their heads in disbelief.

So if you got the Flu right after getting your shot, OBVIOUSLY you were too late in getting the vaccine to prevent it.

http://time.com/5472530/flu-shot-2018-survey/

"As of mid-November, 43% of American adults said they had already received a flu shot, according to a nationally representative survey of 1,200 people conducted by NORC at the University of Chicago, an independent research institution. But the majority of people who hadn’t been vaccinated already — 41% of the total sample — said they weren’t planning to get the shot at all. "

#733 5 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

http://time.com/5472530/flu-shot-2018-survey/
"As of mid-November, 43% of American adults said they had already received a flu shot, according to a nationally representative survey of 1,200 people conducted by NORC at the University of Chicago, an independent research institution. But the majority of people who hadn’t been vaccinated already — 41% of the total sample — said they weren’t planning to get the shot at all. "

OMG, Pinsiders are more anti-science than the rest of America.

...why does that not surprise me?..........

vaccines (resized).jpgvaccines (resized).jpg
#734 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

https://www.alternet.org/why-countering-misinformation-about-flu-vaccine-harder-it-seems

#735 5 years ago

Still haven't gotten one and still feel real healthy today.

I will let you guys know if with my lack of getting one I fall deathly ill this year.

I also assume being exposed to all the assholes that don't stay home when they are sick coughing all over the place and handing germs around is almost the same as getting one anyway.

#736 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Still haven't gotten one and still feel real healthy today.
I will let you guys know if with my lack of getting one I fall deathly ill this year.
I also assume being exposed to all the assholes that don't stay home when they are sick coughing all over the place and handing germs around is almost the same as getting one anyway.

Okay, I didn't want to go there, but...

I DARE you to get a flu shot! I bet you can't do it. Probably don't even know where to get one...

#737 5 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

I DARE you to get a flu shot! I bet you can't do it. Probably don't even know where to get one...

They do it at the local Walgreens. I've seen the sign out front. I don't know if I ever saw anybody actually getting one there though.

I usually just go there for a twelve-pack of beer, a bag of potato chips, and a pack of smokes and I'm on my way with all I need.

#738 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

The Flu shot is 5 different strains of DEAD Flu viruses.

Going to Walmart is 500 different strains of who knows what.

Crotch CricketsCrotch Crickets

#739 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Going to Walmart is 500 different strains of who knows what.

I will start shopping at Walmart instead of Walgreens then. They get you out quicker anyway.

1 week later
#741 5 years ago

He did not have a reaction to the vaccine, he had a contaminated injection site.

They were trying to stress that fact on the news yesterday, because the science-deniers were trying to make the story into something it wasn't.

#742 5 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Yes. I believe in facts and science.
You don't get one, you can be a carrier and literally kill a kid or old person or other immunocompromised individual, not to mention you are driving up health care costs by making people sick. Bad all around to skip it. Herd immunity is a real thing. Do it.

Agreed. It is required by my job but I would get one every year regardless for the reasons you stated.

#743 5 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

They really dont, it's just a discussion with opinions no different then someone that thinks bm66 is great and someone who thinks it sucks.

Well, kind of. Opinions on a good pinball machine can be pretty subjective. Not sure how much that correlates to a public health isdue and whether to get a vaccine each year proven to provide some protection.

know of two people in their 20's that died here locally from last year's strain. The vaccine is hit and miss each year. Last year's largely missed but they said it significantly mitigated the severity if you got it.

It is a misconception that the flu virus is only potentially life threatening for the very young, elderly, or inmunocompromised. Depending on each year's strain, it can be dangerous for healthy and fit individusls as well.

#744 5 years ago

Got mine yesterday(along with a TDAP booster).

3 months later
#745 5 years ago

See also: Measles

#746 5 years ago
B2A1AE05-139E-4E1B-B636-A9DD132957E4 (resized).pngB2A1AE05-139E-4E1B-B636-A9DD132957E4 (resized).png
#747 5 years ago

Wow. Good for NY. I wonder if a general order like this is a first nation-wide, kind of imagine that it would be.

#748 5 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

I don't think vaccines should be mandatory,

Quoted from fosaisu:

Wow. Good for NY.

Change of heart?

#749 5 years ago

From what I hear they've got something of a measles health emergency on their hands. Hence it's not a state-wide requirement but by zip code, and only for measles not for all the other diseases people should be vaccinating against but aren't. Under those circumstances seems reasonable to me.

1 week later
#750 5 years ago

As a physician, I can say that 1) I cannot believe this is being discussed here (haha), and 2) you should definitely get one every year unless you have a severe allergy or history of a rare disease called Guillain-Barre.

Younger people in their 20's and 30's are at an unusual risk for getting deathly ill, and we have lost more patients in that age bracket than anyone else (this terrifies me as I'm in my 30's).

That said, it's been a mild flu double season (we had a strain hit, and then second outbreak about 6 weeks later with a different strain).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

£ 110.00
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Newton, NJ
$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
PinballGeek

4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Knoxville, TN
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RavSpec

$ 26.95
$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 599.95
Cabinet - Toppers
Hi-Rez Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 2,456 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 50.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-get-a-sesonal-flu-shot/page/15?hl=thatonedude and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.