View topic image gallery

SpitefulBronzeCob-size_restricted.gif
pasted_image (resized).png
3mbp20 (resized).jpg
3mbi8o (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpg
MoonBearPig (resized).png
Unknown (resized).jpg
Charles-Darwin-quote-about-evolution-from-On-The-Origin-of-Species-1a3090 (resized).jpg
178DD1B0-CC39-4FD9-9AA5-B5E56B3F8799 (resized).png
ot-plasticplague-garbagepatchmap (resized).jpg
a-man-is-known-by-the-company-he-keeps (resized).jpg
Unknown (resized).jpg
bernard (resized).jpeg
3loguy (resized).jpg
big-hunk-4 (resized).jpg
Oprah-Flu-Shot-meme-300x217 (resized).png

This topic is closed.

There are 2,456 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 50.
#451 5 years ago

Are you sick? Well stay home gober! Get aflac!
I have had three chiropractors say "Don't do it" and two pharmacist say "don't do it". I got them all the time
and every year got sick or the sniffles and felt weak. I stopped four years ago, and have been healthy. I wash my hands regularly
don't open doors or anything else with my hands. Example: If you at the Expo watch just how many people come in the bathroom and
walk right past the sink. Plus, washing your hands isn't just sticking them under the water for 10 seconds drying them off and grabbing the door handle. That why your sick. "Hello" Also, keep hand sanitizer at Expo that person who doesn't wash there hands and most likely hasn't showered, will be touching that pin. Oh here's another fun fact, wash your hands before you eat. Nothing will guarantee you not getting the flu even the shot. But there's definitely steps you can take, that can minimize your risk.

#452 5 years ago
Quoted from chad:

If you are inoculated and I am not, what is there to worry??

People who have had the shot and are less likely to get the flu, are also less likely to pass it to other people.

There are a considerable number of people who can't get the shot or have compromised immune systems. If you get the flu, you become a carrier and can transmit to others.

#453 5 years ago
Quoted from chad:

what is there to worry??

Rampant stupidity

#454 5 years ago

Interesting thread, and timely considering it is that time of year again.

I don't get the flu shot for a couple reasons:

1. Odds are the shot is ineffective for the actual virus that spreads.

2. There are [debatable] concerns about potential side-effects, so taking into account #1, there are some risks involved.

Anecdotally a buddy of mine got the flu shot once and wound up getting the flu that year, not terribly long after getting the shot. He never got it again, nor has he got the flu. Maybe it was coincidence, but it potentially illustrates both #1 and #2: the shot is neither 100% effective, nor 100% risk free.

That being said, I'd recommend getting it if you are older. Since the flu primarily kills older people, the risk/reward favors being preventative. For kids, they already pulled Thimerosol from children's vaccines due to concerns about it. For everyone in-between, do what you think is right.

#455 5 years ago
Quoted from chad:

Scan the thread...anecdotes aside, the actual science is listed here along with everybody's hair-brained theory based on a sample size of 1. People say the same shit every year though so whatever. There are certain topics that people are not convinced of until it hits their family/friends then suddenly they are "believers" in the science. Human nature I guess.

#456 5 years ago

As last year ( and past 7)...it's mandatory w condition of employment (healthcare)....a decision I don't have to make....

Kind of like 17 in blackjack...no decision required, but you're not guaranteed a win.....

#457 5 years ago

I get the flu shot because people are hospitalized and die every year from the flu. The more of us that get vaccinated, the less chance there is that any of us get the flu. Get vaccinated! Flu complications are so much worse than the vaccine complications (A.K.A. an ouchie)

BFE456FB-87BA-46D7-BAB6-241AFE1DAA20 (resized).jpegBFE456FB-87BA-46D7-BAB6-241AFE1DAA20 (resized).jpeg
#458 5 years ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

I get the flu shot because people are hospitalized and die every year from the flu. The more of us that get vaccinated, the less chance there is that any of us get the flu. Get vaccinated! Flu complications are so much worse than the vaccine complications (A.K.A. an ouchie)

I'm getting mine tomorrow, the wife and kids are on schedule for Friday. I usually wear sunglasses so the doc won't see my tears.

#459 5 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

I'm getting mine tomorrow, the wife and kids are on schedule for Friday. I usually wear sunglasses so the doc won't see my tears.

doesn't hurt, but your arm will be sore for about a week....

#460 5 years ago

I had to for work at my last job but will never again. I think I got all the strains. I should be good for the rest of my life.

#462 5 years ago

Bout the most damn political thread I’ve ever seen...

#463 5 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

True facts are the most reliable.

Stop that nonsense.

#464 5 years ago
4655089.jpg.cf (resized).jpg4655089.jpg.cf (resized).jpg
#465 5 years ago

…the exact moment I realized I have an old man hobby.

#466 5 years ago
Quoted from chad:

It's not about you and I, necessarily. There are lots of people who cannot get vaccinations. Under 6 months old, certain allergies, certain chronic illnesses, certain cancer treatments, etc. And, in many cases, they are also the ones for whom the flu is most deadly. Now, you may be someone who has no interaction whatsoever with anyone in those categories(statistically unlikely, but possible). But the odds are extremely high that you interact with someone who does have contact. The more paths that are open for a virus to spread to someone with a compromised immune system, the higher the likelihood that that virus will make that leap and infect them.
But this has all been covered ad nauseam. If this was an earnest question, you can find information on flu epidemiology on plenty of sites like the CDC that explain this point in as much detail as you would want.

#467 5 years ago

Yes. I work with the public, my wife works in a school, and I’ve got a baby and a toddler. Ask a nurse in a pulmonary ward or an ICU about how ineffective the flu shot is.

#468 5 years ago

#469 5 years ago

If your going to post shit try to make sure it is at least close to the truth.

Most flu shots are currently given from single dose vials. Only multi does vials use thimerosal which is a ethyl mercury based preservative. So if you don't want any thimerosal just call around and make sure the place you go uses single dose vials. Those getting a shot from a multi dose vails containing thimerosal should also know that it contains about 25 micrograms per dose. I'd have to go back and look at some studies but I believe one can of tuna fish on average has about 30 micrograms of mercury in it.

#470 5 years ago

That's some first rate Facebook conspiracy theory, fear mongering bullshit if I've ever seen it. It conviently doesn't explain the difference between methylmercury and ethylmercury.

#471 5 years ago

That is definitely some fear mongering. Target will even give you a 5 dollar gift card for getting your shot there.

Do it!

#472 5 years ago

Hey everyone! I hope you all had a well summer. I just want to drop in some important information about vaccines and why you should get them, and also to quell any misconceptions.

1: The current flu vaccine doesn’t contain mercury anymore. They only did that due to popular public misconceptions, however. Not because it was dangerous. (See previous post of mine regarding the differences between Methyl and Ethyl Mercury, and how it’s bonded atomically) methylmercury is consumed from peoples dental fillings, fish consumption, and certain bacteria. It’s deadly and bioaccumulates. This type IS NOT in vaccines. Ethylmercury is sometimes used as a preservative in vaccines, it is easily metabolized, does not bioaccumulate, and leaves the body quickly. Remember, sodium and chlorine are deadly by themselves, but bonded together they make salt—just like Ethylmercury.

https://www.chop.edu/centers-programs/vaccine-education-center/vaccine-ingredients/thimerosal

2: 80,000 Americans died last year from the flu and its complications. To put that in perspective, that’s more than vehicle and firearm related deaths COMBINED. A seatbelt might trap you in an accident, but that doesn’t stop us from wearing them, since they overwhelmingly save lives. Why should we let a very small percentage of vaccine related complications stop us from getting vaccinated? (Vaccine related complications are overwhelmingly caused by allergic reactions to the vaccine contents, usually egg based, since viruses are incubated with eggs). You can still get a nasal spray to avoid this. Speak with your doctor beforehand If you suspect you’re allergic to any of the components in any vaccine.

3: “I’m healthy and I never get the flu, why should I vaccinate myself?” Is a common thing I hear. Widespread vaccination creates what’s called “herd immunity.” As a recipient of the vaccine, you no longer become a disease carrier or vector, thus protecting other more vulnerable people from catching the flu, who may not be healthy enough to vaccinate themselves—like cancer patients.

68725836-A949-4704-BC73-3F3674521926 (resized).jpeg68725836-A949-4704-BC73-3F3674521926 (resized).jpeg

4: “I got sick once after I got the flu shot.” The flu vaccine contains either a severely weakened virus strain, or a dead strain. In both cases, the virus can not reproduce in the body. In doing so, your body usually creates an immune response that builds up antibodies, so when/if you do come in contact with the virus, your body immediately recognizes it, and can immediately fight it. In some people, they might get the sniffles or a dry cough that lasts a few hours. You’re not actually sick.

While the vaccine isn’t 100% effective, since flu viruses mutate very rapidly, flu symptoms are almost always far less extreme in those who get vaccinated. This is why you need one every year.

5: Lastly, lately I’ve been hearing about people complain about the formaldehyde in some vaccines, also used as a preservative. It’s true that there is a small amount in them—a maximum of 0.02mg per dose—however, your body naturally produces formaldehyde in FAR greater quantities than what you’d ever receive in a vaccine, and certain foods, like apples and bananas contain much more formaldehyde than any vaccine does. Check out the chart for comparison:

https://www.cfs.gov.hk/english/whatsnew/whatsnew_fa/files/formaldehyde.pdf

Anyway, I hope you all choose to vaccinate yourselves if you can, and I wish everyone a well fall and winter season.

#473 5 years ago

Got mine...after all it was free.

#474 5 years ago

I get the flu shot every year and for the first time in a long time, I got the flu last year.

However, it was over very quickly, my fever only lasted 24 hours. My physician believes it was probably due to the fact that I had the flu shot which helped. In years past when I got the flu, I was out for over a week.

Get it.

#475 5 years ago

Great post mbaumle!

Quoted from mbaumle:

“I got sick once after I got the flu shot.” The flu vaccine contains either a severely weakened virus strain, or a dead strain.

To add to this, the shot does not contain live flu virus. The nose mist is the one that contains weakened virus.

#476 5 years ago

I self-vaccinate.

CD3B475C-390A-4851-BF0F-1BF2CCC7B802 (resized).jpegCD3B475C-390A-4851-BF0F-1BF2CCC7B802 (resized).jpeg
#477 5 years ago

80,000 died. No they didn't. The internet.

#478 5 years ago
Quoted from emkay:

I self-vaccinate.
[quoted image]

Lol, oh yeah me too.

#479 5 years ago

Absolutely not. Not going to the doc unless I have to. They have too much money anyway and are guessing whats wrong. Ever notice the "practicing" medicine line? It means we are guinea pigs for sawbones to experiment on. About time for another medical recall for something that wasn't tested. Count me out.

#480 5 years ago

Up until now I always thought that the anti-vaxxers were soccer moms who got all their medical information from Facebook. I now see that I was very wrong about that.

I'm tempted to ask if there are any Pinsiders that are flat-earthers, that should be good for a few laughs.

#481 5 years ago
Quoted from pinkid:

Absolutely not. Not going to the doc unless I have to

This is always a good one.

#482 5 years ago
Quoted from pinkid:

Absolutely not. Not going to the doc unless I have to. They have too much money anyway and are guessing whats wrong. Ever notice the "practicing" medicine line? It means we are guinea pigs for sawbones to experiment on. About time for another medical recall for something that wasn't tested. Count me out.

What's funny about people that say things like this is that they are the first in line screaming for medicine to save them when something really is wrong.

"Dr's are quacks that are just guessing"
"I'm sorry to tell you , but you have cancer"
"You gotta save me doc"

#483 5 years ago

According to the CDC last year’s flu shot was only 36% effective.

“This report uses data from 4,562 children and adults enrolled in the U.S. Influenza Vaccine Effectiveness Network (U.S. Flu VE Network) during November 2, 2017–February 3, 2018. During this period, overall adjusted vaccine effectiveness (VE) against influenza A and influenza B virus infection associated with medically attended ARI was 36%.”

I strongly believe in routine childhood immunizations that are proven to be effective (polio, mumps, rubella, etc) as well as further immunizations for healthcare workers (hepatitis B). But I usually pass on the flu vaccine. That would change if they can improve it.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/67/wr/mm6706a2.htm

#484 5 years ago

How much mercury was in those long fluorescent light tubes we used to have light saber wars with when we were kids?

#486 5 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Just get the shot pinside conspiracy theorists!

Instead of telling people what to do and calling them names or trying to lay some guilt trip on them, have you ever considered asking nicely? Might at least sway some to your way of thinking.

But for me, it is the same as last year.

No way in hell will they be sticking that shit in my arm or any other part of my body.

#487 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Instead of telling people what to do and calling them names or trying to lay some guilt trip on them, have you ever considered asking nicely? Might at least sway some to your way of thinking.

There's no point, and really there's no point trying to convince people which is why I don't.
If you're stupid enough to be in the conspiracy camp, than nothing is going to pull you out. I mean other than when you finally go to the doctor and realize you have a blood infection and they cut off your leg.

#488 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

asking nicely? Might at least sway some to your way of thinking.

Thanks for the advice. Wait, I thought you didn't tell people what to do on the internet!? lol. No worries. Cheers and hope you have good health.

#489 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

If you're stupid enough to be in the conspiracy camp, than nothing is going to pull you out.

I'm not a conspiracist.

Just a dude that won't be getting a flu shot.

#490 5 years ago

This is a really contentious thread...I mean what a horrible way to drive pinsiders against each other...it would be like someone starting a thread about being vegan.

#491 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I'll ask you nicely then

I am 52 and you are probably not younger than me.
I am reasonably healthy, and yet I almost died from the flu last January (actually from some complications).

I did not get a shot last winter but believe me, even if this shot gives me only 36% of escaping it this winter, I'll take it!
As long as it's not a mandatory shot, feel free to disregard my advice and I won't complain. Just explaining how bad it was.

#492 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I'm not a conspiracist.
Just a dude that won't be getting a flu shot.

Yes I know.

#493 5 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

I'll ask you nicely then

I am 52 and you are probably not younger than me.
I am reasonably healthy, and yet I almost died from the flu last January (actually from some complications).

Well sorry to hear you got so sick, but glad you recovered, and thank you for showing concern about my health.

Way better than the forceful, guilt trip, and conspiracy laden methods some others are using to make people think it is their public duty or whatever to get one.

#494 5 years ago
Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

This is a really contentious thread

Promoting public health is contentious??....that is the sad state we've found ourselves in.

Sorry that this is such a massive guilt trip for some people....but maybe if it seems that way you are feeling guilty? Who knows?

Either way, if you've absorbed the factual evidence behind science and medicine and skip the shot anyway, maybe move on?

I'm not sure what "conspiracy" methods people who believe in the science are using here...I'd love to hear that one! That's some next level projection.

#495 5 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Either way, if you've absorbed the factual evidence behind science and medicine and skip the shot anyway, maybe move on?

Either way? If you've absorbed the factual evidence behind science and medicine and take the shot anyway, maybe move on?

Edit- Oh, that's right, I don't tell people on the internet what to do or not do. Sorry.

#496 5 years ago

Man can't even land on the moon without faking it and 9/11 was fake but you expect me to get a flu job?!?!?!?!

Buy gold!!!

#497 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Man can't even land on the moon without faking it and 9/11 was fake but you expect me to get a flu job?!?!?!?!
Buy gold!!!

wait...I bought some gold and got a flu shot...now what?

#498 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

but you expect me to get a flu job?!?!?!?!

Come out to Ca. and get a job at our local Walgreens, and I just might let you be the one to stick that needle in me.

At least it would be from someone I can trust.

#499 5 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

wait...I bought some gold and got a flu shot...now what?

Sell the gold and buy node boards man!

#500 5 years ago

Honestly what I like about the flu shot conspiracy is that it's embraced by both far right nutjobs AND far left nutjobs.

In a world where so few things can bring people together, I take comfort in that.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

£ 110.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Blackwood, NJ
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Valdosta, GA
2,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Carpentersville, IL
$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
PinballGeek

4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Knoxville, TN
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RavSpec

$ 26.95
$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 599.95
Cabinet - Toppers
Hi-Rez Pinball Mods

There are 2,456 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 50.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-get-a-sesonal-flu-shot/page/10?hl=puffdanny and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.