Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 112 posts
  • 68 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by TDK-WPG
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you get a colonoscopy?”

• Yes 50 votes
      48%
    • No 30 votes
      29%
    • I get one at the same time I get a flu shot 8 votes
      8%
    • I'll base my decision to get one or not on this poll and how convincing either side of the argument is. 16 votes
      15%

(104 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Colonoscopy (resized).jpg
    935830_10200619117054547_4695327_n (resized).jpg
    TBSTFS (resized).png
    pro (resized).jpg
    3mczfp (resized).jpg
    There are 112 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Another thread about one's medical descisions got me a little curious. Do you get a colonoscopy, and if so, how often?

Nope. Poop in a box for me. (Cologuard)

#102 4 years ago

If it is the cost some of you guys are concerned about, Harbor Freight to the rescue again. https://www.harborfreight.com/digital-inspection-camera-61839.html

All kidding aside, I have a family history of colon cancer, so I had my first colonoscopy at 49 and another about 2 days ago at 54. Polyps were removed both times. Not a big deal, good preventative maintenance.

#103 4 years ago

Learned my lesson on my first one. Schedule it in the afternoon. No sleep and shitting all night long is not fun. With late afternoon appointments you start drinking the mix in the morning.

#104 4 years ago

I always get the regular colonoscopy now. I got the extra strength colonoscopy once, but it made it uncomfortable to sit for about a week!

#105 4 years ago

as lots of others here

53 years old, also linked with my mom/cancer (RIP), than got the 1st one last year because doc was saying i'd better to do it... (all is OK)

the exam itself was absolutly nothing (in my case), but drinking that sh*t potion the day before was an absolute nightmare (well, more near the end than in the begining)

next one is in (5) 4 years...

#106 4 years ago
    Quoted from FlippinJimmy:

The television ad for Cologuard says for 50+ the false positives are 13% and false negatives are 8%

Also need to figure in only a 69% detection rate for large, precancerous polyps. Plus true positives and the 13% false positives will need to have a colonoscopy done as a next step. Of course, that's a whole lot better than getting a false negative.

All that said, for those with issues/sensitivity to anesthesia or who may stress over the prep and procedure it is a WHOLE lot better than doing nothing.

#107 4 years ago

I was diagnosed with colon cancer (stage 1) at 46. Had a colon resection with no chemo or radiation, thankfully. I have been on an annual colonoscopy schedule and cancer free since. If the cancer grew another centimeter it would have been rectal cancer and I would be shitting in a bag for the rest of my life.

What you guys should know....

- Start getting checked in your 40s. The current recommended age of 50 is too late.
    - 99% of all colon cancer cases are preventable with a colonoscopy and prompt removal of polyps that can be done during your colonoscopy.
    - When you are diagnosed with cancer, the Drs can not tell you if it has metastasized nor can they tell you what stage cancer you have until all the scans and testing is completed. The Drs can only tell you that you have cancer.... not knowing will be the worst week of your life.

GET YOUR COLONOSCOPY

#108 4 years ago

I seem to get one every year on April 15.

#109 4 years ago

this is my glorious polyp.....it was a biggun........colonoscopy probably saved my life....i have family history of colon cancer........

935830_10200619117054547_4695327_n (resized).jpg935830_10200619117054547_4695327_n (resized).jpg
    #110 4 years ago

I got one, Can't wait till my next one! They gave me Propofol, The same stuff that killed Michael Jackson. It was great!!!! For a split second.

#111 4 years ago

I recently had my first (age 50). Turns out my colon was a bit convoluted and they could not probe as deep as they wanted.

Plan B: Barium enema x-ray. Look it up.

Who could have imagined that such a horrible thing would exist? I spent most of the procedure quietly giggling to myself because I thought my predicament could be good shtick for a standup comedian. It was the only thing my brain could latch on to.

#112 4 years ago
    Colonoscopy (resized).jpgColonoscopy (resized).jpg
    There are 112 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-get-a-regular-colonoscopy/page/3?hl=djtkach and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.