Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 112 posts
  • 68 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by TDK-WPG
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you get a colonoscopy?”

• Yes 50 votes
      49%
    • No 29 votes
      28%
    • I get one at the same time I get a flu shot 8 votes
      8%
    • I'll base my decision to get one or not on this poll and how convincing either side of the argument is. 16 votes
      16%

(103 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Colonoscopy (resized).jpg
    935830_10200619117054547_4695327_n (resized).jpg
    TBSTFS (resized).png
    pro (resized).jpg
    3mczfp (resized).jpg

There are 112 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 4 years ago

I had one ten years ago . I made the Dr n Nurse to promise not to say any butt jokes after i was knocked out . My ass hurt for a long time so this past fall i just did the shit in a bucket deal and mailed it off to the lab . Got the phone call said all AOK

#52 4 years ago

I got one when I was 50 and guess what. I just turned 60 so its time again. My father in law didn't do it and he's DEAD from colon cancer. Get the test. It's not that bad. Better than a lingering death.

#53 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

He also looks at my butt, but perhaps that isn't enough?

Sorry.... That’s not enough. They don’t tell u to bend over while they’re putting on the glove.

#54 4 years ago

I am curious to know who gets a colonoscopy but not a flu shot? Both can kill you as well as save your life. Humans!!! SMH

#55 4 years ago

Prostrate check yes, camera probe action no.

#56 4 years ago

Well, since you asked: I woke up during my first one. It was happening, and i remember sitting up a little and saying something like, "what's going on?" before going back to sleepy land.

#57 4 years ago

Worrying about it is worse than the procedure.

#58 4 years ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

It’s a new world man... the doctors aren’t getting awesome vacations anymore. They get to read down a long list of “No’s” provided by the insurance industry ahead of time. I feel like we are on the cusp of self service medical kiosks where we scan our insurance card and pick from low cost choices the health Insurance industry sees the least amount of risk taken.

Yes, my friend Bob who got colon cancer back in the early 90s told me last night when he needed a second surgery, the insurance company told his doctor "No" until they had tried several other options and Bob was at death's door. I saw him at the time and he looked like hell.

They finally approved the surgery which fixed him up, and now he is very healthy, minus his colon and one other part. When he fully recovered he took up golf and 25 years later he is almost on par with tournament players.

But WTF with insurance companies that will tell doctors "no" when the guy was only in his 30s and needed the procedure to live?

#59 4 years ago

Did the 1x a year, stool sample test.

Didn't want to deal with the other option.

#60 4 years ago

Insurance agencies are the mob. My scrapper guy was in an accident and required neck surgery. It took over a year to pay out. If you're a day late its torches and pitch forks. But if you are owed money they don't know you...

#61 4 years ago

While I am in no way second guessing any one persons condition, or prognosis,
    I have had on 2 occasions, Colonoscopies that were done because of unknown abominable pain.
    In short, both recommended exploratory surgery and section removal.
    I had second, and third opinions. All different.
    No Surgery, I am fine, but id hate to think where I would be with a procedure that wasnt needed.
    (solved the issue with intake of Proteolytic Enzymes, and Fungus from Chinese Medicine....Now the "Thing" to do here)

#62 4 years ago
    Quoted from tslayer71:

Mooonnn River!

Wouldn’t “Shit Creek” be more correct

#63 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Another thread about one's medical descisions got me a little curious. Do you get a colonoscopy, and if so, how often?

I think I'm going to spring for the "LE" one this time, pass on the "pro" version.

#64 4 years ago

Steve Jobs mismanaged his cancer and ended up dead. Different from this thread but anyone who doesn’t get a colonoscopy as recommended is stupid.

Smart people can make really bad decisions.

#65 4 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I had second, and third opinions. All different.

My mom used to get as many opinions from as many doctors as she could until it matched her own prognosis. At least for her. lol. She's almost 100 now.

#66 4 years ago

My partner now has cancer and she's going through Chemo. I'm 50 this year so I'm not taking any chances. There is nothing more valuable than your health.

#67 4 years ago
    Quoted from JayDee:

So what’s your go to cigar after an occasion like that?

Cuban Bolivar!

#68 4 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Good News...Every 5 years. Bad News....it's this April!

Good news is that Pinfest is May 1st this year, so buy a new pin and a pretzel wrap to cheer yourself up!

#69 4 years ago
    Quoted from tomtest:

I think I'm going to spring for the "LE" one this time, pass on the "pro" version.

Me too! Every 5 years.

#70 4 years ago

I got my first when I was 35 due to extensive history of Colo-rectal issues in my family. I've had 3 so far now with my 4th coming up shortly (every 3 years). While it is a bit nauseating to drink a gallon of seawater and then empty out, the procedure causes no pain and only consumes a morning from check in to check out.

Watching my uncle pass away from an aggressive cancer in less then a year and the impact to his body of loosing 150lbs was just a pointed reminder of what I already knew. I've only got one body, I can choose to take care of it and hopefully enjoy a long healthy life vs it being cut short by an agonizing and debilitating disease. If I do end up with something unfortunate like that, I don't want it to be through ignorance or inaction on my part.

#71 4 years ago

O-Din, I think this topic should be moved over to Uranus

#72 4 years ago

Watching a parent and brother-in-law succumb to cancer, it really is a no-brainer. And it really isn't that big a deal. It amounts to just one lousy night. (That having been said, after I had one this year and the Dr. said "see you in 10 years", I definitely did a mental fist pump. )

As for people being sore afterwards? The scope is smaller in diameter than what my 40 lb dog pinches out, so unless you had polyps removed, there shouldn't be any soreness. (Assuming of course, one is prepared for the cleansing with really soft tissue paper and Tucks!).

#73 4 years ago

Yep, on a payment plan with the IRS, for one MONTHLY.

#74 4 years ago

The prep sucks. Trying to down the first round of liquid was bad, but then the waiting(forgot how long) to do the second batch of liquid stressed the living hell out of me trying to figure how I was going to get that down. Oh, a little tip which helped was before the explosion starts, put Balmex(diaper rash creme) on and keep applying before each explosion. You'll be thankful you did.

#75 4 years ago

So.....ready for this? (all true!) My friend went and they asked if he just wanted a local and he could watch the whole thing on a monitor! He said yes....and when requested they gave him a DVD of the event!! (and yes, I watched it....and then added graphics and sound effects) Sorry I can't share it here....but I can just say....they found Jimmy Hoffa!

#76 4 years ago
    Quoted from PantherCityPins:

Two different exams.

think the old finger up the butt is a thing of the past anymore...…….. or so I hear. its all bloodwork now isn't it?

#77 4 years ago
    Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

think the old finger up the butt is a thing of the past anymore...…….. or so I hear. its all bloodwork now isn't it?

I had a checkup about a month ago and they did the finger thing for the prostrate exam.

#78 4 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

So.....ready for this? (all true!) My friend went and they asked if he just wanted a local and he could watch the whole thing on a monitor! He said yes....and when requested they gave him a DVD of the event!! (and yes, I watched it....and then added graphics and sound effects) Sorry I can't share it here....but I can just say....they found Jimmy Hoffa!

If someone ever says you have your head up your a^#, tell them why yes I kinda have and show them the video .

#79 4 years ago
    Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

I have to do it every year and get both. The bloodwork can be wrong sometimes.

#80 4 years ago
    Quoted from eagle18:

they did the finger thing for the prostrate exam.

How much does that cost?

#81 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

How much does that cost?

It’s included with my yearly check up provided by my insurance company. The entire checkup cost me $25

#82 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

How much does that cost?

Worth every penny!
    pro (resized).jpgpro (resized).jpg

#83 4 years ago

I get one every year in which I don't get audited by the IRS - because once a year is all I handle someone crawling up my ass with a microscope.

#84 4 years ago

Im 60, I did the Cologuard thing. Came back positive. So, I had my first colonoscopy last week. I chose the Berry flavored drink, that was tolerable. They yanked out 7 pollops. Got the results just today. All is good, came back clean. Waiting for those results, boy your mind races. So Dr. says see you next year and go from there.

#85 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Thing that always concerns me is that they will find something that isn't really there. Then I'm just another money train to help buy that yacht or Alpine ski cabin until they run out of parts of mine to cut away on.

My dad watches too much television and kept hounding me to get a check up and Colonoscopy at around 45 years old. I asked my doctor about it. He went on to tell me how they don't just do random checks and that there was no reason for me to need a colonoscopy. He even said something to the effect that getting this type of cancer was statistically nothing to worry about.

And for me, so far, he was right. Sadly for him he ended up with cancer of some type shortly after that. Sold his practice to the local hospital and is either dead or retired. I don't know whether or not a regular check up would have changed the outcome for him or not. I do know that he seemed against preventative checkups though.

Had mine done at 50. Easy. Will have done every three years from hear on out.

#86 4 years ago
    Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

Prostate cancer screening is a topic of debate currently but most societies recommend yearly DRE (the old finger wave) starting at 40-50 (depending on risk factors) up to the age of 70 or so. PSA (the blood test) is more controversial but many doctors do them yearly.

#87 4 years ago

I see what you did there O-Din. You got the flu thread closed so you cleverly moved on to Colonoscopy.

#88 4 years ago
    Quoted from FlippinJimmy:

Sadly for him he ended up with cancer of some type shortly after that.

I saw one of my childhood doctors in the market a few years back. He was never a picture of good health. This time he was in a wheelchair missing three of his limbs. Not sure he's still around.

#89 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dent00:

yes, if you have no problems detected, once every 10 years is the norm.
    I can tell you from personal experience that this is not something that you want to do.
    I had the green lime flavor stuff to consume and I had no idea that I was capable of peeing from the wrong area...
    But you can with the stuff that they require that you consume, along with eating nothing for like 24 hours.
    It is a traumatic experience and I don't recommend it for anyone unless it is completely necessary, which doctors will tell you that it is, after age 50.
    Pretty close to torture...

Torture?You obviously weren’t raised in a Catholic orphanage in the 60’s!

#90 4 years ago

NAhh I go the holistic route and do the old anal cleanse by eating large quantities of taco bell and kfc

#91 4 years ago
    Quoted from fisherdaman:

NAhh I go the holistic route and do the old anal cleanse by eating large quantities of taco bell and kfc

If you're doing it that way, here's something you should have for your own holistic:

TBSTFS (resized).pngTBSTFS (resized).png
    #92 4 years ago

Got my first one around 45 and just had my 2nd one right before I turned 50 and had a polyp removed that was benign. Most doctors are now telling people they should start getting them around 35 years old-not 50 as they have in the past particularly if there is family history. My grandfather died of colon cancer so my dad who was a great athlete, didn't smoke, etc started getting them on a regular basis and had many polyps removed over the years. He's now approaching 87 but is in late stage Alzheimers and half the time thinks I'm his brother. Perhaps he would've died from colon cancer as well if he hadn't been so vigilant in warding it off. Personally if given the choice between the 2 I'd take cancer 100% of the time. I know cancer survivors. Don't know any Alzheimer's survivors. God don't let me outlive my mind.

#93 4 years ago
    Quoted from eagle18:

hey did the finger thing for the prostrate exam.

I always wonder if the doctor ever has had his fingers calibrated;
    in order to really tell anything, from sticking it up there.

Also displeased with medical industry in general, cause they never really let you know how much things cost,
    doctor just expect that insurance will pay for things (in part), so they are not really concerned about costs (like Lab costs).
    Every other services you use like plumber, auto mechanics or home improvement contractors
    always give you estimates before they go ahead with work.
    With Doctors you do not know you are getting screwed until after.

I am 65 and have had 3 colonoscopies so far, (1st one found 2 benign polyps, thus the reason for frequency).
    The drinking of prep and shitting on toilet for hrs the night before is the worst part,
    the drugs you get to put you in the trance
    are the best and it seems like seconds for the procedure start to finish.
    Might have some discomfort from all the air you need to expel from them filling your innards.

#94 4 years ago

Best drugs of any procedure. They should put that out there more.more people would be willing to shut all night to prep for it.

#95 4 years ago

It's not a big deal. I turned down the sedation, so I could watch the examination. The doctor told me if I changed my mind, the drugs kick in immediately, so I could still have them if I needed them, which I didn't. It was interesting to see the exam. There was some discomfort, sure, but just felt like stomach cramps. Then you're done, and there aren't any after effects (for me anyways).

Everybody has friends and family that would be crushed if you went to an early demise. Get it done, and have the peace of mind.

#96 4 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

Cologuard makes a lot of sense for those that don't want to use two days of their life, having the prep for a colonoscopy on the first day and then the procedure on day two. Cologuard is only good for people that don't have any previous issues from what I have read.

I don't have a family history of colon cancer so my doctor gave me the choice and I did Cologuard because I'd been putting it off for over a year and I'd get it done much sooner with Cologuard. The way it works is that skin cells in your colon shead and get mixed in with your "poop" and they get tested along with determining if there is any blood in the stool which is also tested. Cologuard is done every 3 years if your test is negative.

When the box arrives, it has a decent sized plastic container with a screw on lid that has a gasket, a bottle of preservative, and a wand that is in a tube of preservative. You "deposit" a sample in the container, scrape the wand over over it to collect a surface sample, and pour the preservative in the container. The wand and container go back into a sealable bag in the box and UPS will deliver to the lab the next day.

The instructions don't tell you, but the sample size must be the same or less than the bottle of preservative. Needless to say, I beamed with pride when they called to say that I'd sent too much. My wife overheard the conversation and was horrified yet laughing her ass off and said, "I always knew that you were full of shit." They sent another kit at no additional charge.

The puns wrote themselves. "Hey honey, I finally have my shit together." "I'm going to pack up my shit and get out of here." "I'm going to drop my shit off at the UPS store."

Here's an overview:

#97 4 years ago

Got one 2 years ago.

Good to go for next 10

It's the prep that blows

Peace of mind

#98 4 years ago

The television ad for Cologuard says for 50+ the false positives are 13% and false negatives are 8%

#99 4 years ago
    Quoted from FlippinJimmy:

I see what you did there O-Din. You got the flu thread closed so you cleverly moved on to Colonoscopy.

Quite the opposite.

I started this thread about an important health issue, and then half a day later, the other one where one side kept throwing insults, telling the others they were wrong and were doing humankind a great disservice had gotten ridiculously out of hand, finally to at least a few member's relief got shut down.

If by starting this thread, and showing a more important issue in regards to personal health choice, helped get that other fanatical one closed, great! Otherwise it was only a mere coincidence.

#100 4 years ago

Crazy topic for Pinside, but colon cancer kills more people than breast cancer ( which I lost my wife to)...just not as popular to talk about...Physical once a year, colonoscopy per there direction, usually mandated at 50...there is extremely low risk, only in the sedation, and if they catch it early, it will extend your quality of life, period... don't screw around w this...do it...No big deal.As Ice said, it's the prep that sucks, but rather that than dead...Cancer, for crying out loud....really not a discussion if you want to take care of yourself, and be around for those you care about.

There are 112 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-get-a-regular-colonoscopy/page/2?hl=flippinjimmy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.