5 months ago

Topic Stats

• 112 posts
  • 68 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by djtkach
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you get a colonoscopy?”

• Yes 50 votes
      49%
    • No 28 votes
      27%
    • I get one at the same time I get a flu shot 8 votes
      8%
    • I'll base my decision to get one or not on this poll and how convincing either side of the argument is. 16 votes
      16%

(102 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Colonoscopy (resized).jpg
    935830_10200619117054547_4695327_n (resized).jpg
    TBSTFS (resized).png
    pro (resized).jpg
    3mczfp (resized).jpg

There are 112 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 5 months ago

Another thread about one's medical descisions got me a little curious. Do you get a colonoscopy, and if so, how often?

#2 5 months ago

I should. Turn 59 in March. Maybe this year?

#3 5 months ago

Every time I buy a JJP LE

#4 5 months ago

I'm 53, had my first one in 2018, Dr says every 3 years from now on.....the worst part about it is drinking that crap the night before.....

#5 5 months ago

Every year. When the property tax bills arrive

#6 5 months ago

I have a physical every year. I have a colonoscopy when they tell me it’s time. Every 10 years from age 50.

#7 5 months ago
    Quoted from eagle18:

I have a physical every year. I have a colonoscopy when they tell me it’s time. Every 10 years from age 50.

yes, if you have no problems detected, once every 10 years is the norm.
    I can tell you from personal experience that this is not something that you want to do.
    I had the green lime flavor stuff to consume and I had no idea that I was capable of peeing from the wrong area...
    But you can with the stuff that they require that you consume, along with eating nothing for like 24 hours.
    It is a traumatic experience and I don't recommend it for anyone unless it is completely necessary, which doctors will tell you that it is, after age 50.
    Pretty close to torture...

#8 5 months ago

I am sick of the medical tyranny that is pinside. Now they are literally up my ass? This is too much. Outrage! Lab coats! Only “science” I need is asking my buddy if he got one and he said no way so I was like right on! They didn’t need colonoscopies in my great great grandfathers day and he lived to be 47! Outrage!

#9 5 months ago

Was told to do so every 3 years...did it once 12 years ago when I lost my mother to colon cancer (I was 23 at the time [mother was 48]). Experience was miserable, and I avoid doctors (and even most social interaction) if possible (likely autism spectrum related).

I did have polyps at the time, but they were benign.

So no, I don't, but realize I should.

Odd topic for Pinside, but no surpise from o-din

#10 5 months ago

Colorectal cancer is mostly preventable with adequate and appropriate screening. Understanding your risk determines when and how often you should have colonoscopy. I have a positive family history and polyps so I get one every 3 years. Just had my 4th one.

Healthy low risk individuals can get by with one every 10 years.

A colonoscopy is not fun, but neither is colorectal cancer. As others have stated the unpleasant part is the prep; the procedure itself is no big deal.

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/colon-rectal-cancer/detection-diagnosis-staging/acs-recommendations.html

#11 5 months ago

Wrong!
    Yeah, it’s tough drinking all that fluid and the time on the toilet but the rest of it is easier than going to the dentist. It is absolutely critical that you get this done at age 50 and then whenever the doctor says after that. Sooner than 50 if you have colon cancer in your family heritage.

#12 5 months ago
    Quoted from Budman:

Wrong!
    Yeah, it’s tough drinking all that fluid and the time on the toilet but the rest of it is easier than going to the dentist. It is absolutely critical that you get this done at age 50 and then whenever the doctor says after that. Sooner than 50 if you have colon cancer in your family heritage.

Quoted from Dent00:

yes, if you have no problems detected, once every 10 years is the norm.
    I can tell you from personal experience that this is not something that you want to do.
    I had the green lime flavor stuff to consume and I had no idea that I was capable of peeing from the wrong area...
    But you can with the stuff that they require that you consume, along with eating nothing for like 24 hours.
    It is a traumatic experience and I don't recommend it for anyone unless it is completely necessary, which doctors will tell you that it is, after age 50.
    Pretty close to torture...

#13 5 months ago

I get one every four years (+60). The prep is the worst part. Fasting, drinking the prep, and setting on the toilet is the worst part. Wasn’t really that bad. The actual exam your under, so easy.

#14 5 months ago

Don’t hesitate. Could save your life and is no big deal as the others here have stated.

#15 5 months ago

This is a no brainer. Colon cancer is a somewhat preventable disease in that a significant portion of colon cancers develop from abnormal colon polyps which can be removed during colonoscopy. Early detection and more available treatment options (partially related to the advent of colonoscopy) are some of the prime reasons for the decrease in mortality rates from colon cancer in highly developed nations such as the US and UK.

#16 5 months ago

There is no pain or feeling like you’ve “been invaded “afterwards and the drugs are great. Seems like it is all finished and over with in a minute. Seriously, get it done.

#17 5 months ago

Whom the fuck takes drugs before they do one? A cool beer and maybe a puff before.
    Oh I guess since we got a bunch of squares in here you, you'll want to go in with a raging semi too.

Amateur hour.

#18 5 months ago

Would it be a good idea to have the old prostate checked at the same time?

#19 5 months ago
    Quoted from Budman:

There is no pain or feeling like you’ve “been invaded “afterwards and the drugs are great. Seems like it is all finished and over with in a minute. Seriously, get it done.

While you may be correct in general, this wasn't the case for me. Had perhaps the worst pain of my life afterward (have had broken bones and it didn't compare), and was vomiting when I got back home. All these years later, I still feel stress from remembering the experience, though I know I'm in the minority in that regard.

#20 5 months ago

Have it done it the morning. The best part is going out for breakfast afterwards. Food never tasted so good!

#21 5 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Two different exams.

#22 5 months ago
    Quoted from Pinball_Gizzard:

Two different exams.

Not to mention, you’re awake for one of them

#23 5 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

They will check your prostrate with a basic checkup. The colonoscopy prep the night before is not really that big of a deal. It’s not like having a few beers with your buddies.... but really no big deal. Follow the directions and stay home. If it’s time for u to do it.... GET IT DONE. Don’t put it off.

#24 5 months ago

Cologuard makes a lot of sense for those that don't want to use two days of their life, having the prep for a colonoscopy on the first day and then the procedure on day two. Cologuard is only good for people that don't have any previous issues from what I have read.

#25 5 months ago

Cologuard is a good option for someone who refuses to get a colonoscopy but colonoscopy is the better test because you can remove polyps during colonoscopy and prevent colon cancer from forming in that polyp.

Colonoscopy is proactive, cologuard waits until you already have cancer or a precancerous polyp and THEN you get a colonoscopy.

#26 5 months ago

Just had a virtual today. Not a word of a lie. It sucked buuut you get through it. Had ct.

#27 5 months ago

No. Haven't had an irregular one either.

LTG : )

#28 5 months ago

Good News...Every 5 years. Bad News....it's this April!

#29 5 months ago

Every 3 years...Mine is in 3 weeks....Hate it, think Ill put a Smiley Tattoo on my Ass!

(Lots of Colon Cancer in Family....Genetic, I believe a deficiency in PCKSC9 Gene)

#30 5 months ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Good News...Every 5 years. Bad News....it's this April!

So what’s your go to cigar after an occasion like that?

#31 5 months ago

Nope. If I get cancer or some other terminal illness, I want to think I'm healthy until I have 24 hours to live.

#32 5 months ago

CHRIST ON A CRACKER OD...LOL

#33 5 months ago
    Quoted from Medisinyl:

Odd topic for Pinside, but no surpise from o-din

It's his way of fighting "the man". No one is going to tell him anything he doesn't already know best. You guys need to stop bullying him. All of this time he is spending on here fighting modern medicine is cutting into his time spent outside yelling at clouds because they keep changing. Ease up on him.

#34 5 months ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

It's his way of fighting "the man". No one is going to tell him anything he doesn't already know best.

Au contraire! This thread is making me think I might just go get a check up for the first time in 15 years.

#35 5 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Au contraire! This thread is making me think I might just go get a check up for the first time in 15 years.

Good on you... it’s good to be proactive.

#36 5 months ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Thing that always concerns me is that they will find something that isn't really there. Then I'm just another money train to help buy that yacht or Alpine ski cabin until they run out of parts of mine to cut away on.

#37 5 months ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

If this awful procedure detects colon cancer... early... It could save your life. I have to admit that...
    This can also detect other gastro-intestinal problems that I will not describe.
    You can read about some if you are so inclined as the info is public (crones, hernia, polyps, colon cancer, abnormal inflammation, etc, etc...)
    All of them have terrible symptoms that only get worse if they are not detected.

#38 5 months ago

I go when my Dr. Says I need to. It was 3 years ago, I never want to see jello for food again. Yes the toilet tornado will ruin your day. After that it is not bad.
    I came to in recovery, the Nurse ask me how I felt? Reply... I feel like I've been to a party.
    With Bill Cosby....

#39 5 months ago

I only go once a year to see the dermatologist that cut the melanoma off my leg 6 years ago and he always gives my a clean bill of health.

He also looks at my butt, but perhaps that isn't enough?

#40 5 months ago

Mooonnn River!

#41 5 months ago
    Quoted from Sputnik:

I go when my Dr. Says I need to. It was 3 years ago, I never want to see jello for food again. Yes the toilet tornado will ruin your day. After that it is not bad.
    I came to in recovery, the Nurse ask me how I felt? Reply... I feel like I've been to a party.
    With Bill Cosby....

Party is not the word I used...
    "Hungry" was the only word I could come up with.
    Then, the torturers tell you to eat sparingly to build up your good bacteria and not "strain your system" and to "eat soup or crackers".
    What a load of ****.
    After this procedure, it is time to EAT... Like IMMEDIATELY...
    I suggest some yogurt or some Pro-Biotic near the beginning to get yourself back to normal after being flushed out completely.

#42 5 months ago
    Quoted from JayDee:

Not to mention, you’re awake for one of them

Which of the two do they knock you out for?

#43 5 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I might just go get a check up for the first time in 15 years.

Get a flu shot while you are at it

#44 5 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Which of the two do they knock you out for?

The one you originally asked about

#45 5 months ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

Get a flu shot while you are at it

3mczfp (resized).jpg
    #46 5 months ago

Last year I got a colonoscopy, endoscopy, and a flu shot.
    The flu shot hurt the most!

#47 5 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I only go once a year to see the dermatologist that cut the melanoma off my leg 6 years ago and he always gives my a clean bill of health.
    He also looks at my butt, but perhaps that isn't enough?

Unless the colon cancer is actually hanging out of your butt, then no it isn't enough.

#48 5 months ago

I recommend all three if advised , but support anyone’s right to avoid all three.
    It’s your life, do what you want. It’s called freedom!

#49 5 months ago

I just get the roundabout colonoscopy.. "Hey Brian, do you know anyone with colon cancer?"

#50 5 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Thing that always concerns me is that they will find something that isn't really there. Then I'm just another money train to help buy that yacht or Alpine ski cabin until they run out of parts of mine to cut away on.

It’s a new world man... the doctors aren’t getting awesome vacations anymore. They get to read down a long list of “No’s” provided by the insurance industry ahead of time. I feel like we are on the cusp of self service medical kiosks where we scan our insurance card and pick from low cost choices the health Insurance industry sees the least amount of risk taken.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 40.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    G-Money Mods
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 3.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 95.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Mod Co.
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 24.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Hookedonpinball.com
    € 18.95
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 45.00
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 62.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    There are 112 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside