(Topic ID: 16715)

Do you ever regret it???

By Dr_Spaceman

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

Just a question to all pinsiders who have given into the dark side and really committed to this hobby. Do you ever regret it?

I am about 4 months in and 2 pins deep. I'm enjoying it quite a bit, and I've even learned enough to fix a couple issues. Fixing something is a thrill, but seeing something break is decidedly not cool. I'm now considering jumping off the bridge and picking up two more pins. I am lucky enough that I can afford them right now and I do have the room so I guess the only question for myself is if I'm ready for 2 more. I've got my hands full with 2, but I kind of feel like I need more abuse. Assuming I can get the deal lined up I might pull the trigger. I've caught the bug, but this is madness. This feels like going from casual to serious.

That brings me to my question. I know I'm not the only one who has stood on the cusp of this madness. For those of you who jumped - any regrets???

#2 11 years ago

catching the pin-bug is nothing to be ashamed of.

with that said, find a support group. immediately. your addiction will only grow.

#3 11 years ago

Yup thats me as well. Ummm ya sometimes I wonder what I got myself into. As long as you don't make a bad financial decision, like go into bad debt, I think it's fine. I've had to tell some friends to talk me down a few times when a deal comes up...you end up wanting to buy any game if you think it's a deal....but you need to keep your eye on games you actually enjoy...otherwise you'll never play those games you bought. So comes my next couple pins.... Ugh nasty hobby but my other is just as expensive...figured I'd have a summer racing and winter pin balling

#4 11 years ago

No not yet anyways though my girlfriend my tell you otherwise . I am 10 months into the hobby myself bought my first 2 in my first three months into the hobby and my third about two months ago. Want to buy a 4th but the hobbys not cheap and need to save for another.

I am fortunate enough to have a good friend in the hobby that has 5 machines and knows a ton to help me when i get stuck fixing things or just talk shop and play. I guess my only regret is not being rich enough to get more . Nice start on the collection though i love road show and would like to check out earthshaker and welcome to the hobby/addiction

#5 11 years ago

Oh and some said you can't have a party until you have at least 3 machines......and everyone wants a party

#6 11 years ago

Half a century in the industry.

Did not want to go into it. I wanted to work in another field after high school.

And while times are tough now.

Regret it ? Never.

Because of pinball I've gotten to see and do more things than can be imagined.

A friend once told me I've forgotten more fun than most people will ever have.

Long live pinball !

LTG

#7 11 years ago

Nope. Wife likes it too. She would probably like it better if I didn't love it so much but what can a man do?

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

Oh and some said you can't have a party until you have at least 3 machines......and everyone wants a party

well i guess i can start the party!!!

#9 11 years ago
    Quoted from pudluther:

catching the pin-bug is nothing to be ashamed of.
    with that said, find a support group. immediately. your addiction will only grow.

Ha ha! Take this pledge down now. If I do this I am stopping at four.

I know saying this basically guarantees I will break it, but if I do I am committing myself the next day.

#10 11 years ago

Regret? Not for a hot second. The moment you can think of a reason why not, a thousand reasons why smash it into oblivion.

At the center of my heart there is a silver ball.

#11 11 years ago

I sometimes look at my 2 and wonder what life would be like without them.

Got into my 1st one last June and 2nd in March this year.

I definitely don't regret buying them. In this first year I've learned a lot about cleanup
    and fixing them.

I think I would regret NOT having them, having experienced the thrill of ownership.

#12 11 years ago

Glad to hear the support. This is kind of like alcoholics anonymous except you're all encouraging me to drink. I try to talk about this with my non pinball friends and they only ridicule me. They just don't understand dang it!

#13 11 years ago

Funny, I'm newish with this too, and I've heard one too many times that if someone I know needs to come out to help me they tend to want something in return, even had someone I knew tell me they would set me up for a "service call" ..

So far this is really hit or miss for me..

I spent a bunch of money on a few games and pins(almost 10K last month) and since I did, I had an opp agree to sell me a pin he told other people he wouldn't sell (cause I bought several arcade games, MANY pcbs, and 2 other pins).. (unfortunately I know 2 of the people that were told they could not buy the game, but , thats a separate issue..)

I dunno, I never had this drama with just straight arcade GAMES before, this is supposed to be fun, right?...

On another note, I love me some silver ball more and more daily..

And its not all bad, there's a newer member that joined around the same time I did and really helped me out on an issue I was having with a game tonight..

All in all, Ill be here for a while...so..
    Heres to new friends I'll find here at pinside, I'm looking forward to it...

#14 11 years ago

This site could use feedback, and friends list options, btw

#15 11 years ago

I started collecting arcade video games in 2001. Jumped in with both feet at an auction. There were classic rows and jamma rows and a really long pin row. I had brought about 500 cash to see what I could snag. I don't recall everything, but I distinctly remember 3 nice Fish Tales going for 700 each and a nice Tommy went for 1K complete with topper. I thought to myself, that is outrageous. I'd never pay that, blah blah yadda yadda. Well, long story short, my only regret, is not getting into pinball sooner. I sure would like to turn back the clock and put every dime I have had in video games into pins. I'd have all the ones I wanted cuz back then, I could grabbed an AFM for 1500, Addams for the same. MM was going for sub 3K at that point. Now, I have purchased 2 NIB Sterns and a sweet BSD. Pretty damn sure, I'm gonna be at #3 NIB Stern for X-men. I love it. What was the question?

#16 11 years ago

I only regret I did not get into this hobby even a year ago. Prices have just gone crazy since I started putting my collection together this year. I sat out 12 years after my first pin purchase being content with just one thinking it was crazy to buy a MM for $4k at that time.

Altered Red quote from Shawshank:
    "There’s not a day goes by that I don’t feel regret. Not because I have one pin and because you think I should have more. I look back on the way I was then, a young, stupid kid who only bought that one F-list SWT pin. I want to talk to him. Try and talk some sense into him. Tell him the way things are. But I can’t. That kid’s long gone, and this old man is all that is left. I gotta live with that."

#17 11 years ago
    Quoted from ebononcini:

Altered Red quote from Shawshank:
    "There’s not a day goes by that I don’t feel regret. Not because I have one pin and because you think I should have more. I look back on the way I was then, a young, stupid kid who only bought that one F-list SWT pin. I want to talk to him. Try and talk some sense into him. Tell him the way things are. But I can’t. That kid’s long gone, and this old man is all that is left. I gotta live with that."

Nice!

#18 11 years ago

I've been into the hobby for about four years. It sounds like you were like I was a few years back, but I don't regret it now. There are times that I had 4 solid pins go haywire at the same time and I felt like selling the whole lot and doing something else, but it passed. The pins got fixed and new pins have joined our home...

#19 11 years ago
    Quoted from dnhayden:

ebononcini said:Altered Red quote from Shawshank:

Nice!
    » YouTube video

hahaa, well played!

#20 11 years ago

Regret? Heck no. I just wish I had more resources and started collecting sooner. I have been slowly buying pins for the last 6 years (on my modest income), but now prices are sky high and my usual sources are all dried up. I am thankful to have just about every game I ever *really* wanted, but neither that nor complete lack of space prevents me from looking for that next game. I am going to start standing games up on end in a storage room and rotating them out soon.

#21 11 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I've forgotten more fun than most people will ever have.

Definitely a wise man/woman LTG...
    Playing pinball (at home) to me is like having my own personal 'Fountain of Youth'. It keeps me young and energized even after the roughest of days. To think about giving that up altogether would mentally age me into a retirement home. No thanks...
    If you get burnt out, take a break and come back to it. Just make sure the batteries are fresh before you leave. They will be patiently waiting for your gentle caress another day.

#22 11 years ago

Spaceman,
    I've always enjoyed pinball. No big regrets for me (from mid 70's to present).
    Sometimes I may take a break from my pins, so I don't get burned out on pinball.
    Besides, I have other interests such as: hiking, canoeing/kayaking, offshore fishing, watching movies and sports, visiting w/ friends/family, etc.
    If price for a machine gets too high, then I just let someone else get it who wants it.
    Are the 2 pins you are considering getting some of the ones listed on your wishlist?
    What do you like about pinball? Playing pinball, cleaning them, buying parts, repairing, searching for next pin(s) to buy, buying/selling/trading, owning pins, and/or having friends & family over to visit & play pinball? Is the artwork and/or theme of a pin important to you, or just the gameplay?
    Going from 2 to 4 pins in your collection seems ok to me, especially if you think you will enjoy these two new pins. Buy pins you will enjoy, not some unpopular pins w/ crappy game play or poor artwork, or in too horrible of condition to enjoy.
    And ....w/ 3 or more pins you can have a pinball party!
    Do you know anyone that lives somewhat local to help you make repairs to your pins for some of the more difficult issues/problems.
    I see that you are in St. Louis, MO area. That is a good city to live in concerning pinball. Good central U.S. location, some good places to play pinball around town.
    Not sure what your concerns are, or why you are hesitant to buys more pins.
    It sounds like $ and space for your pins is not the issue.
    Do you have (or will you have) some free time to spend on your pinball hobby/collection?
    If you plan to travel and pick up machines yourself, then you probably want to buy pins within a 300 mile range or closer, so you don't have regrets over time & gas money spent picking them up.

You can always sell one or more of your pins, if you feel like things are getting a bit excessive.
    Nothing wrong w/ selling a pin imho. It justs lets others also enjoy owning a pinball machine.
    At least w/ pinball machines you physically get something for your money. You could spend thousands going to sporting events/concerts/plays, or on airfare/gas for vacations/cruises to distant locations, etc.

Let us know when you get some more pins added to your collection.

#23 11 years ago

I have been collecting for almost 30 years, I love this hobby

I love how you can enter this hobby at what ever level you wish. If you just want to be a player, it is good. If you want to learn how to repair circuit boards, you can do that too.

I like that even after 30 years, there would hardly be a week go by that I do not learn something new about pinball

But mostly I like the people.
    I like chatting to others in various pinball forums. I have gotten to know many people from all over the world who share my love of the silver ball.

And I consider myself to be fortunate that over the last few years I have been able to meet other collectors and be able to play their games

I love this hobby and the others that share my enthusiasm

#24 11 years ago

Started collecting two years ago,believing that my limit would be 4-6. Met many great people , each with contacts and a wealth of knowledge about pins. Total now is 39 , with pins from the ,70's , 80's, 90's , 2000's. Probably the most fun of all hobbys . My grandchildren enjoy these as much as I do.

#25 11 years ago

I think one needs to monitor time if other responsibilities are being neglected. That's the plumb line for me, and it is easier for that to happen that you might think. But only you know when that line is crossed.

I collected from about 1998 thru 2005 and totally dropped out until December of last year. If you search, you will find others that have done the same.

Everything for a season. The only constant in life is change.

Dan

#26 11 years ago

My only regret is I dont get to spend enough time on the hobby.

#27 11 years ago

St Louis is a great pin city! Silver Ballroom. CP Pinball not far away. Borygard.

I have the most limited repair skills but it's a great hobby. Get to Expo.

#28 11 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Half a century in the industry.
    Did not want to go into it. I wanted to work in another field after high school.
    And while times are tough now.
    Regret it ? Never.
    Because of pinball I've gotten to see and do more things than can be imagined.
    A friend once told me I've forgotten more fun than most people will ever have.
    Long live pinball !
    LTG

Always inspiring LTG, and one of the reasons my entry into the hobby in 2008 was so very welcoming and set in stone. Thanks!

It has become my hobby, passion, sickness, addiction, love, default topic of conversation, decoration, infatuation, stress reliever, mental exerciser, and conundrum - where can I squeeze just ONE MORE PIN!

#29 11 years ago

Got my first pin 8 months ago and it's been a real learning experience and has kept me well occupied in that time. Of course I only wanted and needed 1 pin, that's enough for me, it's satisfied my little dream of owning my own pin.............. mind you, I've seen some fairly cheap broken pins on e-bay, perhaps I could get another one, just as a bit of a project, see if I could fix it up.......... oh dear, is this where it really starts?

#30 11 years ago

Only regret is that I didn't start the gameroom addition earlier. It sucks having an obsession you don't have the capacity to entertain. So many pins, so little room.

#31 11 years ago

Not for a minute. Like others, I wish I had started earlier. It's a blast. The thrill of the hunt, the road trips, the excitement meeting new pinheads, the smell of hot solder ... wait maybe that's not so good.

#32 11 years ago

Spaceman,

You are definitely not alone in St. Louis. Some great people in the hobby in our area! Plus, like someone others mentioned, CP Pinball and Silverball Room to go and play. Also, if you ever need new glass for your machines you can stop by Chad Keller's house and pick some up for $25!

You are always welcome to stop by my house if you need a fix. lol

#33 11 years ago

My only regret (so far) is that I didn't start sooner. I just bought my first PIN last month, a Twilight Zone from the street and I haven't stopped tinkering with it since. Now, I'm thinking of going back to the same vendor for his Adams Family he has in the corner of his shop.

#34 11 years ago

Big huge plus 1000 on that wishing I had started way sooner. I hear these stories from people who currently have 2 and 3 MM's and they sold all their others saying they got them for under 2k, people who have never spent over 4k for a machine with Cactus Canyons in their collection, if I had got in when they had, my one machine would be worth at least 2 dmd's had I bought them back when the prices were fantastic. Now I'm lucky to find a dmd pin under 2k. Yea, I should have gotten in on this while I was still in high school.

#35 11 years ago

I started 2 years ago and love this hobby. A few of us get together and play at the local establishments and our homes on friday evenings. If your interested let me know.

In addition, Mike has opened up a week ago at Orbit Pinball Lounge in Maplewood. He is really nice and has 10 or so machines in the bar.

Kurt

#36 11 years ago
    Quoted from jtimmons:

Also, if you ever need new glass for your machines you can stop by Chad Keller's house and pick some up for $25!

Oh and disregard his offer, if you see Keller's collection you will be changed forever! Don't do it!

You will want 70 machines if you see his collection.....stop now!

#37 11 years ago

^^He is speaking from experience about this. When I met DougPiranha 6 months ago, he had 5 or 6....now look at his addiction! lol

Then again, I had 2 pins a few months ago.....so I have no room to talk.

#38 11 years ago

I wish I would have had more money 6 years ago when I got involved in the hobby. The hobby was still expensive, but games like MM and AFM could be bought for way less than today. The word is out on this hobby, so it's getting harder and harder to find really good deals because everyone knows what their games are worth.

#39 11 years ago
    Quoted from tonymiddendorf:

Not for a minute. Like others, I wish I had started earlier. It's a blast. The thrill of the hunt, the road trips, the excitement meeting new pinheads, the smell of hot solder ... wait maybe that's not so good.

we still need to make a road trip together

#40 11 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

tonymiddendorf said:Not for a minute. Like others, I wish I had started earlier. It's a blast. The thrill of the hunt, the road trips, the excitement meeting new pinheads, the smell of hot solder ... wait maybe that's not so good.

We need to find a pin worth road-tripping for! Haha

#41 11 years ago

Like so many others, I wish I had started sooner. I am fortunate in that my wife is hooked too and that makes it a lot easier and more fun. We went to see Jersey Jack at the Texas Pinball Festival, talked with him a bit after his presentation and then my wife says: "Looks like a great pin, lets order one.". Now you see why I say I am fortunate!

#42 11 years ago

Of course I regret it. Its costing me a fortune and all I do is play pinball.

On the other hand I am not hanging out in bars, Totally happy and the family plays more than just going to rooms to watch TV.

Maybe its a wash afterall : )

#43 11 years ago
    Quoted from jtimmons:

You are always welcome to stop by my house if you need a fix. lol

Quoted from DougPiranha:

I started 2 years ago and love this hobby. A few of us get together and play at the local establishments and our homes on friday evenings. If your interested let me know.

Wow thanks for the welcome! I'll be sending some PMs as soon as this stupid thing I call a job gives me a minute.

I've been to CP Pinball, the Silver Ballroom, and the Orbit Lounge (first time last week). I talked to Mike at Orbit and you're right he is a real nice guy. He didn't seem to mind me completely bothering him while he tried to work on his WWF. I bought my first machine (Earthshaker) from Chuck at CP.

#44 11 years ago

Whilst talking with Jim at Scott's party, he made an interesting observation. Something like , "It's not my fault you can't enjoy yourself playing pinball." I mean we all want to enjoy something, right? Well if you picked Lear jets, caviar, and yachting, and that is all you enjoy, I feel sorry for you. The world is BURSTING with fun stuff to do. Pinball is one of those things. If pinball floats your boat, I think you should count yourself lucky. No...you should pat yourself on the back for your wisdom! Think of the money and time you could be spending away from your family pursuing other hobbies. My friends, I believe pinball is not only a blast, it is a wise choice .

#45 11 years ago

My only regret is that I didn't start sooner before prices started to increase.

I do findmyself thinking about them toooooo much. I have to get my head back down to earth and remember what is important.

I started with 5, I thought wow - that's alot!

7 months later I'm working on getting #14!

#46 11 years ago

one thing I've noticed when you click on someones profile is that the "owned in the past" is blank for an awful lot of us. hmmmmmm... could be tuff getting games in the used market in just a couple more years.

#47 11 years ago

I only regret it when there's some POS problem and the game doesn't work...got 2 of those going on now and It's just really annoying.

#48 11 years ago

I have no regrets. I've met a lot of nice people, some of which are now close friends, been to a lot of nice houses, taken a lot of road trips, and learned a lot of techniques/skills. This is one of few hobbies where you can spend money and make it back or more after you've enjoyed the item, instead of it just being gone. Reading this thread really sums up why the hobby is so great, as the enthusiasm is viral. And to those wishing you had gotten in sooner, better late than never!

#49 11 years ago
    Quoted from tonymiddendorf:

northvibe said:tonymiddendorf said:Not for a minute. Like others, I wish I had started earlier. It's a blast. The thrill of the hunt, the road trips, the excitement meeting new pinheads, the smell of hot solder ... wait maybe that's not so good.
    We need to find a pin worth road-tripping for! Haha

One of you guys need a No Fear? You can road trip to the middle of WI. Haha.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-ever-regret-it?responsive=0 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.