(Topic ID: 245879)

Do you ever feel like just selling them all?

By Mitch

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 180 posts
  • 132 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Spencer
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ED8AC606-D34A-4272-880D-283AA9F6DBE9 (resized).jpeg
    R40R81r-R5_XCakJGviKaG09XO6BpM8Q.gif
    8ECC46A3-3377-48F9-BF83-FB155ED1BDBD (resized).jpeg
    16730361_1425966354102396_6976660360700624095_n_1425966354102396 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1558135567280 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1557427379490 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190525_201455409 (resized).jpg
    what-about-bob (resized).jpg
    20190624_165636 (resized).jpg
    20190624_165628 (resized).jpg
    20190624_165621 (resized).jpg
    20190624_165616 (resized).jpg
    20190624_165607 (resized).jpg
    20190624_165600 (resized).jpg
    20190624_165554 (resized).jpg
    20190624_165547 (resized).jpg
    There are 180 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    #1 4 years ago

After 5 plus years in the hobby lately feeling like its lost that spark.

Some days I just feel like selling the collection and being done with pinball.

Anyone else ever feel this way?

#2 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mitch:

I did, 2006, sold them all.

Got back in the hobby 2016 and now I realize it was probably one of the few things in my life I’d choose differently....

#3 4 years ago

after buying every classic stern out there ! oh my are you ok ? lol some days i fell the pain too , just think i got a down payment for another house in my basement .

#4 4 years ago

48 machines in 5 years? And perhaps another 50 that you've owned and sold in that span?

I think you overloaded yourself and burned yourself out.

Plus, if you aren't putting on tournaments or events, what's the point of just having them? Are you fixing any up to make it more interesting?

Just theorizing over here...

#5 4 years ago

Absolutely! I was dealing with a NIB purchase that was a raging POS and at the same time I was dealing with a restoration project that the pf was absolute shit and getting no resolve. Then I had a guy try scamming me out of an arcade purchase. My stress level was off the charts. I almost threw in the towel. But I do know I would regret it and you'll likely never have the money again to go back and do it again. (At least for us poor folk).

#6 4 years ago

Yes that's my objective... oh wait I'm a distributor... : )

Personally never... but I've seen people do it and they always come back and buy back in later and regret it.

#7 4 years ago

Felt that way a few times but never acted upon those thoughts.

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mitch:

Hey Mitch, yeah a couple years back just downsized, now that I'm combfortable with a 2 or 3 pin line up its more relaxed. Plus for me that 20K would get spent on terrible and fantastic nights of joy but no tangible assets. U have too many I think. I went through that. Might be time to downsize.

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mitch:

Sold all mine last year, paying extra on mortgage waiting for recession

#10 4 years ago

The more pins you own, the more anxiety you have, at least for me.

Something breaks or isn't working correctly, it has to be fixed NOW. My anxiety goes through the roof.

But yes, I think we all go through phases of wanting out. I did, and sold off everything. Then missed it after awhile.

It's normal. (not so sure you are though )

#11 4 years ago

For me moderation is key. At one point I had 15 games in my lineup and it stressed me out because there were always broken machines and projects and it felt like a battle just keeping everything working and playing well. I cut down to 9 games including some newer Stern's and it just feels more manageable and I can pretty much just worry about playing them. My life feels a bit more balanced vs. always being consumed with pinball and pinball projects.

#12 4 years ago

Yeah the feeling comes and goes. Someday we'll sell it all and just travel in a motorhome......, someday.

John

#13 4 years ago

I have indeed. But If I were to go back in, be broke quicker as the cost of games has increased dramatically...

#14 4 years ago

I recently sold off almost my whole collection. I had a few expenses come up and have no regrets. I can play most new pins and lots of classics on location so it’s kind of hard to justify having thousands of dollars in machines that you don’t use. I will definitely buy another pin

#15 4 years ago

Sell high, buy low. Right now the pin stock market is High!

#16 4 years ago

I have had that feeling a few times. Normally I just take a break from it.

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

I only have 2 pins now and never more than 3 ever and I just can't see how anyone can keep up with more. I have all the maintenance I can handle with 2 or 3.

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

Yeah the feeling comes and goes. Someday we'll sell it all and just travel in a motorhome......, someday

John,
    I can’t imagine you selling that entire beautiful collection!

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from ThePinballCo-op:

48 machines in 5 years? And perhaps another 50 that you've owned and sold in that span?
    I think you overloaded yourself and burned yourself out.
    Plus, if you aren't putting on tournaments or events, what's the point of just having them? Are you fixing any up to make it more interesting?
    Just theorizing over here...

Probably over 200 total in 5 years.
    I fix them up, I trade them but the 48 I have now most are keepers ( as in no other game I'd like to trade them for)

I do host league night here 3 to 4 times a year and loonie throw downs every month or so.

Quoted from Blackbeard:

Something breaks or isn't working correctly, it has to be fixed NOW. My anxiety goes through the roof.
    But yes, I think we all go through phases of wanting out. I did, and sold off everything. Then missed it after awhile.
    It's normal. (not so sure you are though )

The repairs dont give me anxiety it's actually my favorite part of the hobby. I'm not a good player.
    Have 18 of 48 running right now.

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

I only have 2 pins now and never more than 3 ever and I just can't see how anyone can keep up with more. I have all the maintenance I can handle with 2 or 3.

I dont have kids and never will so lots of time to work on pins.

Plus once you bullet proof them they are normally good for awhile.

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mitch:

I dont have kids and never will so lots of time to work on pins.
    Plus once you bullet proof them they are normally good for awhile.

Pins or kids?

#22 4 years ago

Sometimes you have to remember what got you into pinball. What as the attraction ? What was fun ? What made you happy ?

If the hobby turned away from that, maybe time to get back to what you do enjoy about pinball.

I know I've been giving it a lot of thought today.

LTG : )

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinballSTAR:

Yes that's my objective... oh wait I'm a distributor... : )
    Personally never... but I've seen people do it and they always come back and buy back in later and regret it.

Beat me too it!

#24 4 years ago

Now that made me laugh.

#25 4 years ago

no
    i have found that if i collect the games i like, rather than 'the top 10', i am more content

#26 4 years ago

I think for some it becomes a disease . When you have pins in every nook and cranny of your house, something is wrong. I can picture fiddling it down a bunch in the next few years. Possibly 5 or so pins and some vids. Pricing is way out of control, its a turn off.

#27 4 years ago

I sold everything 2 years ago and only regret not keeping a couple of them. I was sitting around a couple months ago and decided I wanted some more pins. Picked up 6 over the last month and realized how much I missed it. All I am buying now are bang for your buck pins and if a killer deal pops up. No More $8,000 to $12,000 pins for me any longer. My wife dug it, she got to remodel the entire house, interior and exterior. I have a few to tinker with now and if I want to play the new expensive stuff Nashville is loaded with places to play now and when Music City Pinball gets their place open it will be one of the nicest arcades in the country.

#28 4 years ago

Never
    I must have separation anxiety .
    When I get back from vacation can’t wait to start playing.

#29 4 years ago
    Quoted from jkashani:

I think for some it becomes a disease . When you have pins in every nook and cranny of your house, something is wrong. I can picture fiddling it down a bunch in the next few years. Possibly 5 or so pins and some vids. Pricing is way out of control, its a turn off.

dead on, when pricing went nuts is when I bailed. It just got dumb quickly.

#30 4 years ago
    Quoted from jkashani:

Ya I have space for all mine. They are all in the basement. Have 1300 sq ft in the basement.

#31 4 years ago

I sold 15 of my 17 in 2017. I fully intended to sell them all. I got down to my SS and MM and I couldn't do it. I kept those two and I am very glad I did. I since bought back a couple I truly missed CP and CV. I got lucky and got much nicer ones than I had. I am sticking with WPC-95 games now. On the hunt for a NGG (miss that one bad)

#32 4 years ago

Never!
    I do sometimes stop playing for a while as I'm a sore loser

If play horrible for weeks on end, I need to take a break as I get sooo mad at myself and sometimes the machine too

#33 4 years ago

This is my basement. Made sure lots of room for tournaments and league night.
    Repair room is a little full right now.

20190624_165523 (resized).jpg20190624_165523 (resized).jpg20190624_165534 (resized).jpg20190624_165534 (resized).jpg20190624_165539 (resized).jpg20190624_165539 (resized).jpg20190624_165547 (resized).jpg20190624_165547 (resized).jpg20190624_165554 (resized).jpg20190624_165554 (resized).jpg20190624_165600 (resized).jpg20190624_165600 (resized).jpg20190624_165607 (resized).jpg20190624_165607 (resized).jpg20190624_165616 (resized).jpg20190624_165616 (resized).jpg20190624_165621 (resized).jpg20190624_165621 (resized).jpg20190624_165628 (resized).jpg20190624_165628 (resized).jpg20190624_165636 (resized).jpg20190624_165636 (resized).jpg20190624_165655 (resized).jpg20190624_165655 (resized).jpg
    #34 4 years ago
    Quoted from jkashani:

Everytime STI delivers a game to me they talk about the mentally ill collectors. The ones who have filled every inch of space in their homes with pins and their wife and children have left them. It is a serious problem for some, but sure makes for some interesting conversation when STI shows up.

#35 4 years ago

Nope never have had that feeling.

#36 4 years ago

Hi Mitch, here 's some medicine for your condition.
    Watch it and report back.

Get well soon man!

#37 4 years ago

I dove in too deep, and have too many pins and not enough space. Occasionally, I will get the impulse to sell off a few I've lost interest in and/or projects I don't think I'll get around to working on anytime soon.

I actually haven't brought any new pins home in over 6 months. I must be ill!

Although, I did bring home a midway space invaders vid about a month ago. Plus I've been dealing in movie/tv props lately. And prepping games for pinball shows, including the show I'm hosting in August. I've been keeping myself mighty busy, lol

#38 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mitch:

Every summer in Minnesota. Every winter, I change my mind.

#39 4 years ago
    Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

Sold all mine last year, paying extra on mortgage waiting for recession

You had to say recession.

#40 4 years ago

5yrs must be the mark as I've heard others note that things took a turn at that point in time.
    Happened to me as well.
    Haven't been playing nearly as much as days past but definitely not willing to part with any either.
    If I didn't have any pins oh
    man, what then!?!

#41 4 years ago

I collected for 15 years then sold everything.
    I missed it too much and I feel that I've matured
    a bit with my Hunter Gatherer urges so now I'm buying again.

#42 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mitch:

It just sounds like you are "pinballed out" at the moment. Have a rest and see how you feel then.

My wife and I often say "lets sell a few games". This does not normally work so we now have a one in one out policy. This forces us to sell when we want a new or different game. Also helps control the bank balance.

#44 4 years ago

I've been slowly selling off my collection. I never hit crazy town levels, maxed out at 11. Now I'm down to 4. I think I need to move at least one more out to make space for other interests, but it's been challenging to commit. The last 4 I have are more emotionally attached for me I guess.

The truth is I'm just not playing right now. They take up a lot of space to not get played ...

#45 4 years ago

It's funny how dynamic life is. Just a month or so ago, I wanted them all. My appetite for pinball was insatiable. Then, not to get too personal, my fiancé decided to end our relationship of 10 years just a few weeks ago. She had lost the spark. I'm crushed, devastated, and feeling more or less hopeless. Normally, my place of solitude was in my basement with my pinball machines. I'd take out my worry and frustration by playing them, or take my mind off of things by working on them.

Not anymore. It's weird. I haven't played a single game in nearly a month now. They just aren't doing it for me anymore. Maybe I used my collection of games to hide my insecurities? Probably. But what I thought would make me happy, isn't. And things that have never made me happy in the past, are.

So, I'm slowly selling my collection. Piece by piece. Not sure how long it'll take. Maybe I'll get the spark back, but I've been happier cooking at home, going to the gym, or riding my bike until my legs fall off.

#46 4 years ago

Honestly, I haven’t had that feeling.

I enjoy turning them all on and just watching the light show.

#47 4 years ago

Mitch, what would be the first 5 games you’d pull out of your house if there was a fire? Keep those and sell the rest

#48 4 years ago
    Quoted from DK:

Mitch, what would be the first 5 games you’d pull out of your house if there was a fire? Keep those and sell the rest

Quicksilver, stargazer, paragon, congo demoman.

#49 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mitch:

Quicksilver, stargazer, paragon, congo demoman.

Paragon! Leave it for the flames! Lol

#50 4 years ago

The thought of having to get them out of the basement alone should be enough to squash any thoughts you have about getting rid of them all.

There are 180 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-ever-feel-like-just-selling-them-all?hl=iamdrunker and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.