(Topic ID: 245879)

Do you ever feel like just selling them all?

By Mitch

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 180 posts
  • 132 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Spencer
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ED8AC606-D34A-4272-880D-283AA9F6DBE9 (resized).jpeg
    R40R81r-R5_XCakJGviKaG09XO6BpM8Q.gif
    8ECC46A3-3377-48F9-BF83-FB155ED1BDBD (resized).jpeg
    16730361_1425966354102396_6976660360700624095_n_1425966354102396 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1558135567280 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1557427379490 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190525_201455409 (resized).jpg
    what-about-bob (resized).jpg
    20190624_165636 (resized).jpg
    20190624_165628 (resized).jpg
    20190624_165621 (resized).jpg
    20190624_165616 (resized).jpg
    20190624_165607 (resized).jpg
    20190624_165600 (resized).jpg
    20190624_165554 (resized).jpg
    20190624_165547 (resized).jpg
    There are 180 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
    #151 4 years ago

I sold 15 pins and a few arcades think 9 in 3 days , only kept Metallica and hook for the kids that was a yr ago. I switched to sim racing much happier now .

#152 4 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

.... It's just a shitty emotional situation for me, and one I never thought in a million years I thought I'd have to deal with.

Dude I feel for you for sure, because you've always been a good guy.
    Luckily, 10 years ago you never could have imagined the buffet that tinder is right now.

#153 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Dude I feel for you for sure, because you've always been a good guy.
    Luckily, 10 years ago you never could have imagined the buffet that tinder is right now.

Tinder Thots. Lmao. Be careful.

#154 4 years ago

Can't say I've ever wanted to do this. Have considered selling a few
    to make more room in the house but know I'd regret it in the future.
    Steve

#155 4 years ago

I've considered and nearly went through selling all many times. Still do most days. I'd suggest selling a few and see how you feel. One at a time is easier for me. It's also easier when you don't have so many to keep running and ready to play. For me, it was a great way to reunite with a lot of friends I didn't see much (some for many years) on a monthly basis having the machines. Also great to meet a lot of great local guys. But it ended up being a lot of work with my job at the time, keeping games running, organizing dates to have people meet, game room clean, food prep, keeping tons of different beers, and my sanity together. It has kinda soured me on playing or having people over other than once in a while a friend or two stopping by.

But getting rid of a few was a big relief and having a really small house with a really big wife that doesn't want to move provided me with room to work in my game room. Down to final 4 keepers and as much as I don't play, I think I'm just hoarding them because I like having them there "just in case I do want to play". I've blended my old hobby with doing playfield swaps which is the one part of pinball I do enjoy. So far no regrets selling 3/4 of what I had.

#156 4 years ago

Love your Strange World if its on the market hehe

1 week later
    #157 4 years ago

Before and after I sold the 15 pins ( some where in garage) and replaced them with sim racing rigs , actually selling another pin tomorrow to make room for the rest of the 6 rigs. I'll keep met
    16730361_1425966354102396_6976660360700624095_n_1425966354102396 (resized).jpg16730361_1425966354102396_6976660360700624095_n_1425966354102396 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1557427379490 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1557427379490 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1558135567280 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1558135567280 (resized).jpgIMG_20190525_201455409 (resized).jpgIMG_20190525_201455409 (resized).jpg

#158 4 years ago

Just sold another, down to 3 games. Feeling fine about it. Looking forward to the things that I can now fit. If I ever feel otherwise I can always buy pins again.

Do what makes you happy. You're not defined in any way by how many games you own, you don't have to have a game because you worked hard to get it or something if you never play it.

2 weeks later
    #159 4 years ago

I want to sell... Then I play the game I want to sell. Rinse repeat.

#160 4 years ago

My other hobby is RC planes, helicopters and quads. I have dozens of each and typically fly once a week. I go through periods where I just burn out or it is too hot to fly all day. The amount of space they require and the upkeep had me considering selling off a bunch too. But generally after a couple months break I find that the passion comes back and I'm glad I didn't sell anything.

#161 4 years ago

I had moments where I couldn’t move in my basement because of so many games. It wasn’t fun. Happy with my 5 game maximum... and have the rest of the basement for other entertainment.

#162 4 years ago

Mitch! Another Mitch here. I LOVE this thread. Got into the hobby 5 years ago, currently have 5 at home. I haven't been using them as much lately, and was wondering if I should sell...but I think I just got the 5 year itch. This thread was super helpful, thanks to all you incredible collectors for your candid insight. Not going anywhere for now... Shit...now maybe I want a new one LOL.

#163 4 years ago

Yes this thread has been very useful.

I've decided to sell some off till I get to around 35. Thatvwill be a much more comfortable amount.

#164 4 years ago

Yes! I feel like selling them all Everyday!

Busy day yesterday, sold Munsters (Color) Premium, Black Knight LE, Batman/Catwoman 66’.
    8ECC46A3-3377-48F9-BF83-FB155ED1BDBD (resized).jpeg8ECC46A3-3377-48F9-BF83-FB155ED1BDBD (resized).jpeg

#165 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mitch:

Yes this thread has been very useful.
    I've decided to sell some off till I get to around 35. Thatvwill be a much more comfortable amount.

I don't live far.....

#166 4 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Just sold another, down to 3 games. Feeling fine about it. Looking forward to the things that I can now fit. If I ever feel otherwise I can always buy pins again.
    Do what makes you happy. You're not defined in any way by how many games you own, you don't have to have a game because you worked hard to get it or something if you never play it.

Feel free to let me know when you decide to sell The Shadow

#167 4 years ago

It has definitely crossed my mind so sell them all, but I just know I'll have sellers remorse in a few years.

I do feel that I own too many pins vs the amount of time that I actually play them, so I am planning to sell a few off in the following months.

However, I find it *such* a bitch to decide which ones...

#168 4 years ago

I would but no one in Delaware is buying and I'm not exactly sure how much money I'm going to lose when I do.

#169 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jappie:

It has definitely crossed my mind so sell them all, but I just know I'll have sellers remorse in a few years.
    I do feel that I own too many pins vs the amount of time that I actually play them, so I am planning to sell a few off in the following months.
    However, I find it *such* a bitch to decide which ones...

Please contact me if you sell flash gordon or The Shadow.

#170 4 years ago

Great stories and insight. I'll chime in because no one has yet described an experience like mine. I, for the most part, have always had a pinball in my life. I bought my 1st game in 1978 when I was seven, and still own it to this day. My collection went all over the place in the 80's and 90's. I bought a warehouse and subsequently vacuumed up a ton of machines and placed them in the warehouse. Being from rural MN no one really wanted used or non-working pins back then, so people found me and picked up the phone (yes, before the internet and cell phones). Your ad in the PinGame Journal was the only real way to connect with other pinball collector types at the time. By the end of the 90's the warehouse was full to the rafters with over 125 pins.

I then made a very deliberate decision to decide what_ I wanted to collect. Was it EM games, a certain theme, a certain manufacturer, or a certain era? After pondering that question I decided I wanted one of every solid state Bally title made using the -17 and -35 boardset (6800 processor). A feat I accomplished earlier this year after about a 25 year hunt. Almost all the DMD pins are gone, solid state GTB and WMS are all gone, and almost all the EM's. Just a room full of Bally pins from 77-85. It makes it much easier to maintain since they all use about the same parts, boards interchange for the most part, and when you've been doing it as long as I have you get a "feel" for what the manufacturer was thinking when the game was made.

I just offloaded a HH and BH that I'd been holding on to for years and years so I am still continuing to thin the herd. Didn't bother me one bit. As others have said, I rarely play pinball, but rather enjoy the process of bringing them back to life more than anything. The people in this hobby are my closest friends and associates. It's really all I've known all my life. I went to college for electronics and wanted to make a living fixing pinballs, but life gave me a left turn and I entered the Gaming industry (slot machines) as my day job. In retrospect it was a very happy accident in giving me two distinct focuses. One a hobby, the other a career.

During my life I've moved once, married once (still married), and have one child. NOTHING is more satisfying to me than your child pulling at your hand saying "Daddy, let's go play pinball!" I hope everyone experiences that at least once in their life! Pinball ebbs and flows in how much time I give it, but for it to be gone 100% would be an impossibility for me.

#171 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinfixer:

Great stories and insight. I'll chime in because no one has yet described an experience like mine. I, for the most part, have always had a pinball in my life. I bought my 1st game in 1978 when I was seven, and still own it to this day. My collection went all over the place in the 80's and 90's. I bought a warehouse and subsequently vacuumed up a ton of machines and placed them in the warehouse. Being from rural MN no one really wanted used or non-working pins back then, so people found me and picked up the phone (yes, before the internet and cell phones). Your ad in the PinGame Journal was the only real way to connect with other pinball collector types at the time. By the end of the 90's the warehouse was full to the rafters with over 125 pins.
    I then made a very deliberate decision to decide what_ I wanted to collect. Was it EM games, a certain theme, a certain manufacturer, or a certain era? After pondering that question I decided I wanted one of every solid state Bally title made using the -17 and -35 boardset (6800 processor). A feat I accomplished earlier this year after about a 25 year hunt. Almost all the DMD pins are gone, solid state GTB and WMS are all gone, and almost all the EM's. Just a room full of Bally pins from 77-85. It makes it much easier to maintain since they all use about the same parts, boards interchange for the most part, and when you've been doing it as long as I have you get a "feel" for what the manufacturer was thinking when the game was made.
    I just offloaded a HH and BH that I'd been holding on to for years and years so I am still continuing to thin the herd. Didn't bother me one bit. As others have said, I rarely play pinball, but rather enjoy the process of bringing them back to life more than anything. The people in this hobby are my closest friends and associates. It's really all I've known all my life. I went to college for electronics and wanted to make a living fixing pinballs, but life gave me a left turn and I entered the Gaming industry (slot machines) as my day job. In retrospect it was a very happy accident in giving me two distinct focuses. One a hobby, the other a career.
    During my life I've moved once, married once (still married), and have one child. NOTHING is more satisfying to me than your child pulling at your hand saying "Daddy, let's go play pinball!" I hope everyone experiences that at least once in their life! Pinball ebbs and flows in how much time I give it, but for it to be gone 100% would be an impossibility for me.

I bought my earthshaker from you, good to see you around!

#172 4 years ago

I'll be selling all of mine. Getting out after 44 years in the hobby, just don't have any interest in it any more.

#173 4 years ago

I've thought about selling one here and there over the years but always stopped short of posting an ad. I thought that I would regret letting them go.

This week, I cut loose Congo and MMr and....I feel fine about it. I knew it wouldn't bother me as in the days leading up to the sale, I didn't even play them one last time. Looking forward to getting some fresh titles in.

#174 4 years ago

I dipped my toes in the water and sold 3 recently (and two arcade games) ...but somehow I'm buying 2 more games from a friend lol...gah, I'm stupid.

#175 4 years ago

I sold a lot of them off just so I could buy them all back.

#176 4 years ago
    R40R81r-R5_XCakJGviKaG09XO6BpM8Q.gifR40R81r-R5_XCakJGviKaG09XO6BpM8Q.gif
    #177 4 years ago
    Quoted from swanng:

I'll be selling all of mine. Getting out after 44 years in the hobby, just don't have any interest in it any more.

Dang, always sad to hear people leave the hobby especially after such longevity. Hope I still have some passion after a few decades. Just hit 2years on pinside so still in a honeymoon phase so to speak.

#178 4 years ago

I had my kid run over the 1951 Williams Music Mite I was working on.
    That was about 2 years ago.
    I have been selling off my games steadily since.
    It was like a switch had been flipped in my head.
    I decided that I do not want to be so attached to these things.

Then, factor in the upkeep and unexpected deterioration ( suddenly a back glass begins to flake).
    I have lost the passion I had for it.
    I am not getting out completely but I will be down to 4 games or less permanently.

#179 4 years ago
    ED8AC606-D34A-4272-880D-283AA9F6DBE9 (resized).jpegED8AC606-D34A-4272-880D-283AA9F6DBE9 (resized).jpeg
    #180 4 years ago

I've thought about it several times, a lot lately. I've had 3 large parties and even gone to a pinball show and I'd bet haven't played 25 games in 6 months. I've thought maybe buying a new title would add some spark but I really don't know. My problem is I'm a collector, not a hoarder, but have a really hard time letting things go.

There are 180 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-ever-feel-like-just-selling-them-all/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.