(Topic ID: 214941)

Do you erase high scores when you buy a pin?

By Fezmid

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you erase the high scores when you buy a used machine?”

• Yes! My house, my name, my scores! 68 votes
      50%
    • No! It gives me something to aim for 45 votes
      33%
    • Sometimes! It depends... (see comments below) 22 votes
      16%

(135 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

index1 (Medium) (resized).jpg

#1 5 years ago

I purchased a MET Premium from a fellow pinsider back in October, 2017 and absolutely LOVE it. When I bought it, I specifically told him to leave his scores on it so that I'd have something to aim for.

Since then, I still haven't made any of the top scores overall or for modes (although my sister played and got her name in for Lady Justice mode...)

A couple of nights ago I came SOOO close to getting my name in the top 5: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread/page/264#post-4343972

However one person commented that he doesn't want a stranger's name on the machine so always resets them.

I'm not going to reset the scores - I like the challenge - but I'm curious if most people keep the scores on the used machines they purchase or if they wipe 'em so that they're the only ones with their names in the game.

#2 5 years ago

If you can't beat it, delete it.
    I never would though

#3 5 years ago

I usually end up resetting them during the course of repairs or ROM/software updates.

#4 5 years ago

It depends on whether or not I set the game up as it was when I bought it. If I change the playfield angle and rebuild mechs and stuff it won't play the same so the old high scores are irrelevant.

#5 5 years ago

I usually leave them as it gives me something to shoot for. If they get deleted during the course of working on the machine, oh well...

#6 5 years ago

I usually delete all high scores before each party. There is nothing better than having a wide-eyed novice boast of how they got to put their initials on a game. Jumping up and down, hugs and kisses from drunk ladies is fun too.

#7 5 years ago

Yeah, just because I always do a factory reset. You have no idea what ridiculous settings a previous owner may have set on your new pin.

Occasionally I'll try to take down a high score first if it's someone I know.

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

I... hugs and kisses from drunk ladies is fun too.

THIS!!

#9 5 years ago

May be a silly question (yes, I've searched & RTFM)... how do you reset the high scores and names on newer Sterns like Star Wars?
    I like having lower scores & blank names available for non-pin people at parties, as others have mentioned.

#10 5 years ago

If I have to replace the batteries then obviously yeah. If not then I leave the scores alone, I'm not that worried about them as I know eventually I'll at least get my initials on the board at some point. Might not be first place but so what?

John

#11 5 years ago

The option to keep the GC but reset the others gives the best of both.

#12 5 years ago

YES! Gives friends who come to play the opportunity to put there initials on a game, make it more fun for them.

#13 5 years ago

To those who say they want people who come over to be able to get their initials on a game -- have you checked out iScored?
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/announcing-iscored-the-game-room-score-tracking-app

I have a small laptop on the bar and people love putting their name on it and seeing all of the people they beat. One of my coworkers came over and her goal was to not be last -- she made it to 3rd from the bottom and said, "I'm good, I'm not last anymore!"

#14 5 years ago

nope, feels great knocking off the previous owners GC!

#15 5 years ago

I leave those scores that have been scratched into the cabinet because they give me a goal and add a certain character to the machine.

#16 5 years ago

It depends on the game settings they were using. I like my games to play the way they were intended. Upon getting a pin I check it. If I find difficulty or the amount of balls given is different than default settings than I erase all scores.

For instance I bought this Hobbit machine. I wasnt going to erase the scores untill I noticed many mode settings were set to easy, no tilt-bob installed and the ball limit was set to 5. No thanks! Im not huge on competing against scores which were unnaturally high in the first place.

#17 5 years ago

A friend of mine only does it after I put my name in his machine. Come back the next time and it's mysteriously gone because the game suddenly needed board work or some shit like that.

You know who you are.......

#18 5 years ago

Absolutely remove them. I bought a machine and the previous owner bragged how he got the high scores, with the glass off.

#19 5 years ago

When I bought my Argosy, I was pleasantly surprised to find high scores written on the back box. Best part, they also wrote the date. Cool to see scores from the 80's - 90's.

So no, I have literally not erased them. And its great fun to make fun of people who can't beat the lowest "highscore" which in my opinion shouldn't even be there. Leave it to the drunks at the bar to be impressed

#20 5 years ago

i remove them. never know if the game was set on 5 ball or other settings could have been changed

#21 5 years ago

I bought The Walking Dead and the game was set to 10 ball! I scoffed and reset everything.

Then when I sold it about a year later, I also set it to 10 ball so I could FINALLY see all of the Wizard modes only Bowen, Elwin and Co. get to see. Damn that game is haaaaard!

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

I bought The Walking Dead and the game was set to 10 ball! I scoffed and reset everything.
    Then when I sold it about a year later, I also set it to 10 ball so I could FINALLY see all of the Wizard modes only Bowen, Elwin and Co. get to see. Damn that game is haaaaard!

Geez, yeah, if a machine had those settings issues, then I'd agree 100% with resetting and would change my vote.

#23 5 years ago

I erase them because I always change the settings

#24 5 years ago

I usually wipe them and set the default scores super low. For me, its more fun to have the scores of my my wife, myself, and our friends over some stranger's score even if our scores are laughably terrible. The good news is, anyone who buys a machine from me would likely spend less time beating my scores than going in and wiping them.

#25 5 years ago

Factory dump and restart it.

#26 5 years ago

I try and beat all scores without changing the settings, then I'm free to set the machine how I like and reset the scores. If the machine needs a code update, I'll do it right away and not worry about the scores.

#27 5 years ago

I always do. I only care what scores are in my house!

#28 5 years ago

Once I beat a score with the machine set up by the previous owner I clear it and then set it up how I want.

When I have pin parties or host league I like to reset them for the guests to have some fun.

#29 5 years ago
    Quoted from Slim64:

When I have pin parties or host league I like to reset them for the guests to have some fun.

I really like how JJP has the daily high scores... Wish Stern would put that on IMDN.

#30 5 years ago

I don't intentionally reset on new ownership of games, and I damn sure don't reset so people can get a participation award...

I want you to know that if you come into MY HOUSE, and kill my score on MY GAMES, that I have *ton* of respect for your skill. It WILL stay on the game until I'm able to personally bump it off, or someone else does...

#31 5 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

A friend of mine only does it after I put my name in his machine. Come back the next time and it's mysteriously gone because the game suddenly needed board work or some shit like that.
    You know who you are.......

@spyderturbo007

See Mr68 post.

Quoted from Mr68:I usually delete all high scores before each party. There is nothing better than having a wide-eyed novice boast of how they got to put their initials on a game. Jumping up and down, hugs and kisses from drunk ladies is fun too.

#32 5 years ago

I leave them fun goal

#33 5 years ago

It depends on where I got the game. If I bought it from a friend, and the software is up to date, they stay for a while. But if I bought it from someone else, reset city.

#34 5 years ago

I reset periodically. Gives my wife a chance to make the leader board.

#35 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

I usually delete all high scores before each party. There is nothing better than having a wide-eyed novice boast of how they got to put their initials on a game. Jumping up and down, hugs and kisses from drunk ladies is fun too.

We used to have a few people in our league do that until this guy started dropping his initials on all the machines....

index1 (Medium) (resized).jpgindex1 (Medium) (resized).jpg

#36 5 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

If I have to replace the batteries then obviously yeah.

Just keep the pin turned on when replacing the batteries if you dont want to erase the high scores.

#37 5 years ago

My machines have either been projects with battery damage to the MPU (no scores) or must have had poor playing previous owners as all the factory presets were still in place. I once erased all of my own scores by replacing the batteries on my first machine with the power off -- was not sure I could replace them with the game on at the time.

#38 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yeah, just because I always do a factory reset. You have no idea what ridiculous settings a previous owner may have set on your new pin.

Exactly.

#39 5 years ago

Come on, after seller installs the newest code and scrubs the plays count audit, how many great games could they possibly have in the few games they throw on before final sale.

HUO less than 200 plays

#40 5 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

spyderturbo007

See Mr68 post.

If that's the case, why is it that I've never seen any ladies at your parties jumping up and down?

I'm not buying what you're selling.

#41 5 years ago

I leave 'em. Then I replace them, one by one, till I have completely overtaken the high scores.
    Enjoy it for awhile, then do a reset and start all over again!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-erase-high-scores-when-you-buy-a-pin?hl=stosel and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.