Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 67 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by MrBally
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190201_235546 (resized).png
    IMG_2978 (resized).PNG
    257B0F48-A43A-4B09-A5A1-1A7E867715A8 (resized).jpeg
    scoop-fix3 (resized).jpg
    FH-scoop (resized).jpg
    scoop-fix1 (resized).jpg
    Millermatic-Mig-Welder-W (resized).jpg
    Camry4 (resized).jpg
    Camry3 (resized).jpg
    Camry2 (resized).jpg
    Camry (resized).jpg
    PHOTO-2017-11-16-13-31-21 (resized).jpg
    PHOTO-2017-12-24-19-12-22 (2) (resized).jpg
    PHOTO-2017-12-24-19-12-22 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0255 (resized).jpg
    64CA27E2-3E26-40D8-89FF-47381FAB639A (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gdonovan.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 5 years ago

Picture of the broken item would help.

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Small stuff is more difficult than larger items. So easy to burn holes right through the work.
    Pinhead want everything to be pretty. More expensive equipment yields better results.

Hence my desire to see a picture of an item.

Thin stuff is real tough to do. Usually you end up with a large weld that you end up grinding off 75% of the weld to get to the finished product.

TIG is better than MIG, but TIG you have to spend considerably more for quality equipment than MIG or you are wasting your time even trying TIG. TIG also demands some practice for those perfect pretty welds, takes longer to master.

Been welding with MIG (Aluminum and steel) for 35 years now, it is pretty easy to pick up with a half way decent welder. I have a Lincoln 110V unit I do most of my steel work with and for what I do works fine.

FYI once you learn welding not only will you be able to fix stuff that normally might get tossed out you have the ability to make tools to make jobs easier, fabricate almost anything you can think of in steel or aluminum and make some tidy money repairing stuff for other people. I'm constantly repairing hospital beds and get paid $75 for 5-10 minutes work.

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

The Navy sent me to heliarc/TIG school to learn the skill. 3 weeks of welding stainless test panels followed by 3 weeks of welding aluminum test panels. I got pretty good at school but back at duty station the need and opportunity for me to keep welding was pushed to the side. Within 60 days I could barely strike a bead.
    Your hospital bed gig makes me sorry I let the skill go.

I run a physical plant department at a nursing facility, the welding repairs are always a welcome extra source of cash for my hobbies. 2 months ago I repaired a bed with a broken deck which normally would have been replaced and saved the facility $1800.

Overweight clientele can wreak havoc on the equipment should they feel cranky.

Beds and dietary equipment make up the bulk of my welding repairs, my boss is appreciative as it saves a considerable amount of money compared to replacing the broken items.

Bed rail replacement runs $300-$400 a pop, $75 is a bargain and stronger than new when I'm done.

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

Here is the picture of the broken tab on the scoop. No one has addressed the rod vs torch. I didn't know about requiring inert gas, but that's only if a torch is needed, right?
    The other thought I had is, even if you bring it to pros some people have posted some pretty ugly results anyways. I guess the trick is to find a shop experienced with lower-gauge stainless? If I'm going to pay for it, I want it to look good. If I can do it myself, I can live with ugly work.
    Also, any opinions on how brazing with torch would handle this?
    [quoted image]

That would be a snap to repair with either TIG or MIG.

Quick tap with the gun, 5-10 seconds on a belt sander and you would not even know it was broken.

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

Tomorrow there'll probably be general discounts on places like EBay, and I can get a cheap TIG set up.

Just don't.

You will end up frustrated trying to use a cheap welder, when it comes to TIG you go big or go home. Buying a cheap TIG is not the way to go, a $500 110V MIG will however produce reasonable results for that thickness metal.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Lincoln-Electric-120-Volt-140-Amp-Mig-Flux-cored-Wire-Feed-Welder/1072945

Here is a fine little rig for MIG welding, pickup an Argon/CD tank from a local shop and start practicing. Take the flux wire and toss it out or throw it in the toolbox for an emergency. Don't be tempted to weld something nice with flux core, it is a splattery mess only fit for exhaust work IMHO.

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

You need the machine, rods, gas cylinder, cleaning brushes (TIG has to be crazy clean), angle grinder, 220v outlet, gloves & apron, 100% cotton hoodie & pants, auto-darkening helmet, and some scrap material of similar thickness to practice on.
    While I certainly encourage you to learn to weld, it's not something you just casually do.
    I'd expect you would need about 4 nights of practice before you could weld that thin stainless nicely.

With TIG a dedicated clean area is not out of the question, its that sensitive.

#60 5 years ago

Tell you what Nic- If we end up making a deal on the pins we discussed I'll toss in my old 110v MIG unit, its been doing nothing but gather dust in the attic storage. It was a little cranky time to time but still working when I purchased the unit I have now and kept it as a backup.

Gary

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gdonovan.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-do-your-own-welding?tu=gdonovan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.