5 months ago

Topic Stats

• 67 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by MrBally
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 19 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20190201_235546 (resized).png
    IMG_2978 (resized).PNG
    257B0F48-A43A-4B09-A5A1-1A7E867715A8 (resized).jpeg
    scoop-fix3 (resized).jpg
    FH-scoop (resized).jpg
    scoop-fix1 (resized).jpg
    Millermatic-Mig-Welder-W (resized).jpg
    Camry4 (resized).jpg
    Camry3 (resized).jpg
    Camry2 (resized).jpg
    Camry (resized).jpg
    PHOTO-2017-11-16-13-31-21 (resized).jpg
    PHOTO-2017-12-24-19-12-22 (2) (resized).jpg
    PHOTO-2017-12-24-19-12-22 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0255 (resized).jpg
    64CA27E2-3E26-40D8-89FF-47381FAB639A (resized).jpeg

There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 5 months ago
    Quoted from tacshose:

Great analogy!

Really? Thick with irony and hypocrisy from here.

#52 5 months ago

No it's spot on. You get what you pay for. and there aint no miracle MIGs for $88!

Best of luck.

#53 5 months ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

You're against learning a new skill oneself, are you?

Of course not.

BUUUUUT.... I'd suggest joining a hackerspace to learn - that's what I did. Not only will everything already be set up but they'll have scrap you can practice on. And helmets, gas, 220v, a metal table, clamps, plastic spark shields and a bunch of other stuff you won't have to buy.

MIG works but usually requires grinding. TIG is very elegant but much MUCH harder to master.

#54 5 months ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Of course not.
    BUUUUUT.... I'd suggest joining a hackerspace to learn - that's what I did. Not only will everything already be set up but they'll have scrap you can practice on. And helmets, gas, 220v, a metal table, clamps, plastic spark shields and a bunch of other stuff you won't have to buy.
    MIG works but usually requires grinding. TIG is very elegant but much MUCH harder to master.

Excellent answer, if it's available in his community. Sign up for a minimal monthly cost, and you likely get some rather expensive toys to play with along with some great mentoring. If you take a liking to welding, then take the plunge and buy your own equipment.

#55 5 months ago

I usually won't pay anybody to do anything I can do or learn to do myself unless it is financially unfeasible to buy or rent the necessary equipment to do so.

I look at life as a never ending learning experience and have saved bundles of money fixing everything including major repairs on my house by doing so.

#56 5 months ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

Excellent answer, if it's available in his community. Sign up for a minimal monthly cost, and you likely get some rather expensive toys to play with along with some great mentoring. If you take a liking to welding, then take the plunge and buy your own equipment.

Yeah, this is a good idea that hadn't come to mind, and is way more welcome from someone I respect than coming in with smart-ass comments that really weren't fitting anyway. I only started mentioning TIG because I heard it was good for thin stainless and saw someone doing torchless welding with an inexpensive TIG machine. I quickly learned that's actually just stick welding on a TIG and MIG was the way to go after some more research and thanks to people that actually came to contribute something, rather than try to get a laugh, which is easy to do for someone that has a bandwagon of nuthuggers (hi Tac!) to back him up.

#57 5 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I usually won't pay anybody to do anything I can do or learn to do myself unless it is financially unfeasible to buy or rent the necessary equipment to do so.
    I look at life as a never ending learning experience and have saved bundles of money fixing everything including major repairs on my house by doing so.

Right on! That's the way to go, try to be a DIY'er as much as possible myself too.

#58 5 months ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

try to be a DIY'er as much as possible myself too.

It sure helped during the two years they were paying me to be unemployed.

#59 5 months ago

This is the welder I use: https://www.eastwood.com/mig-welder-110vac-135a-output.html
    Great for small jobs. I've fixed and fabricated many pinball brackets with this.

If you don't work on lots of games or have other hobbies that require welding, I suggest taking your parts to a shop. The cost for the shop to fix your one part is minimal compared to the cost of all the tools needed.

#60 5 months ago

Tell you what Nic- If we end up making a deal on the pins we discussed I'll toss in my old 110v MIG unit, its been doing nothing but gather dust in the attic storage. It was a little cranky time to time but still working when I purchased the unit I have now and kept it as a backup.

Gary

#61 5 months ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

Yeah, this is a good idea...

Considering you're in Seattle, I bet you have some stellar places to chose from. I saw a 'This Old House' episode not long ago where one of the guys went to San Fran to visit a hackerspace to make chairs. Wow, seriously loaded up w/nice stuff. CNC wood cutter (think: playfield). Laser cutters, etc. Big stuff, not like some of the smaller ones that end up in home workshops or pole barns. I bet someone with enough time and determination could make their own pin.

#62 5 months ago

If you've never welded before, find an old Miller white-face MIG cheap on CL.

Those things can weld sheet metal all the way to 1/2" plate with ease.

But the best part about them is that there are no circuit boards or integrated circuits or other nonsense to burn up.

Everything on them is an easy repair. Really the only electrical part that dies on them is the fan and the rectifiers - both easy for any pinball owner.

200lbs of pure welding bliss.

Millermatic-Mig-Welder-W (resized).jpg
    #63 5 months ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

If you've never welded before, find an old Miller white-face MIG cheap on CL.
    Those things can weld sheet metal all the way to 1/2" plate with ease.
    But the best part about them is that there are no circuit boards or integrated circuits or other nonsense to burn up.
    Everything on them is an easy repair. Really the only electrical part that dies on them is the fan and the rectifiers - both easy for any pinball owner.
    200lbs of pure welding bliss. [quoted image]

Had a large one with a four cylinder gas engine at the place I used to work. Eventually, the safety "gurus" stopped allowing employees to weld and auctioned off everything. Now a vendor comes in, rope's off areas, covers up stuff and does the welding. That $20K welder was bought for $300.00 by an employee.

2 months later
    #64 3 months ago

Since the local maker space only does a welding orientation once per month, and they skipped December, I had to wait 'til this past week to take that class so I could use the MIG. Thanks to some tips from a friendly pinsider with a git'r-done attitude, I decided to do the fix with MIG and the general mild wire it had loaded.

I'm pleased how it turned out: it feels really strong as I decided to weld a bit beyond the tab. The weld is facing the back of the playfield anyway and doesn't need to look perfect. Already installed it, and it's working well.

FH-scoop (resized).jpg
    scoop-fix1 (resized).jpg
    scoop-fix3 (resized).jpg

#65 3 months ago

Just did my first solder core weld the other day to fix up an exhaust leak. I’m super proud of myself.

What u guys think?

257B0F48-A43A-4B09-A5A1-1A7E867715A8 (resized).jpeg
    #66 3 months ago
    IMG_2978 (resized).PNG
    #67 3 months ago
    Quoted from DNO:

[quoted image]

20190201_235546 (resized).png
    Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 25.00
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 7,299.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 29.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Full Tilt Pinball LEDs
    $ 109.99
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 36.99
    $ 7,199.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 75.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinWorlds
    $ 92.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 200.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 14.95
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 55.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 5,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 14.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    PinWoofer
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 44.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside