View topic image gallery

180204_034226_91 (resized).jpeg
B4957880-4175-42EA-8665-83B1A5D90BB6 (resized).png
Devils Cut (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
5E632798-6EEE-4BAA-9FC1-CE0817B68573.gif
download (resized).png
#1 5 years ago

Doctor suggests I might need surgery to fix a spur in my big toe that's been causing some discomfort, so I was just wondering if any of you guys have done your own surgery? Any tips? Any special tools needed or will the ones I use to fix my pins suffice?

Figured I'd start the thread before Odin did......

#2 5 years ago

O-din doesn't have any toes. Cut them off a long time ago when he was hopped up on pain meds and tequila...

#3 5 years ago

The toe surgery I had last week was pretty involved and I don;t think you could do it yourself with the pain level.

#4 5 years ago

Best advice to avoid a large amount of pain and a serious infection- see a qualified surgeon.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from pickleric:

O-din doesn't have any toes. Cut them off a long time ago when he was hopped up on pain meds and tequila...

I did use a pair of Cornwell side cutters to remove a corn from my big toe once.

download (resized).pngdownload (resized).png

#6 5 years ago

Uh, no. Unless you have medical training and medically sanitary environment, all the proper tools, and the proper drugs, it's not generally a good idea. Even if you had medical training, it's not a good idea to operate on yourself in the first place if something happens to go wrong and you're not able to help yourself.

Yes, there have been a few extreme cases where doctors have operated on themselves, but those were only because they were in emergency situations and in isolated, hard to reach area like Antarctica.

If you have insurance, a podiatrist is likely covered. Depending on the plan, you might have a small copay.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

If you have insurance, a podiatrist is likely covered. Depending on the plan, you might have a small copay.

He's talking surgery not an office visit

#8 5 years ago

I had a planters wart on the bottom of my foot once had to use acid on it for a week or 2 then dig out the root, ended up pulling a huge piece out of my foot so it would not grow back. Was successful on the second attempt.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

Doctor suggests I might need surgery to fix a spur in my big toe that's been causing some discomfort, so I was just wondering if any of you guys have done your own surgery? Any tips? Any special tools needed or will the ones I use to fix my pins suffice?

Open that sucker up and get HEP to do the restoration.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

He's talking surgery not an office visit

That depends upon the facilities. Yes, some just have exam rooms, but some have more than just exam rooms.

#11 5 years ago

Robert De Niro don't need no doctor.

#12 5 years ago

For no other reason than infection prevention, you should let a professional deal with it. You don't wanna lose a toe, foot, or perhaps die because of your lack of training.

#13 5 years ago

Can you fashion some sort of rudimentary lathe?

#14 5 years ago
5E632798-6EEE-4BAA-9FC1-CE0817B68573.gif5E632798-6EEE-4BAA-9FC1-CE0817B68573.gif
#15 5 years ago
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#16 5 years ago

A Dremel, Freeze Spray Method, Wood Filler/Caulk, and clear coat...that should work.

Part #306-612785A

#17 5 years ago

Definitely give it a go. What's the worst that can happen...

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

My dad has a South Bend lathe in his garage. See, now we're getting somewhere. I knew I came to the right place.

#19 5 years ago

Fresh xacto blade, a little 91%, and dig in.

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Galaxy Quest

#21 5 years ago

How dare you mock my oil change thread!

My body of work on pinside is crucial to this site...

#22 5 years ago

Go for it, but get a flu shot first.

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Go for it, but get a flu shot first.

Now THAT, brings up an interesting topic....

#25 5 years ago

I actually perform surgery two days a week.

My focus is more on dogs and cats rather than people toes. . . but there was one time I was camping/hiking and cut my leg good -- I put in my own sutures.

My advice would be to seek the services of a professional.

#26 5 years ago

I have sown my own stitches myself for serious lacerations , on 2 different occasions...... does that count ?

#27 5 years ago

I gave myself a lobotomy

I gave my self a lobo tomy

I gave my smell the color light bulb

#28 5 years ago

My father thought you could. Actually, he just didn't want to pay the emergency room fees so he "cured" all our ills with Mercurochrome and Castor Oil. If that didn't work he would rub in a little dirt and wipe our chests down with Vick's vapor rub. Good times.

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from Silverballer:

My father thought you could. Actually, he just didn't want to pay the emergency room fees so he "cured" all our ills with Mercurochrome and Castor Oil. If that didn't work he would rub in a little dirt and wipe our chests down with Vick's vapor rub. Good times.

Have you visited our "you know you are old when..." thread yet?

#30 5 years ago

No way O-din. I figured things would be eerily familiar though. Besides, I know I am old.

#31 5 years ago

Make sure you have your soldering iron cranked way up to cauterize the wound.

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from WolfManCat:

Best advice to avoid a large amount of pain and a serious infection

Well if that's your idea of a good time ...

#33 5 years ago

I've operated on my liver several times since turkey day.

#34 5 years ago

Not yet. I'm still practicing on people I don't like.

LTG : )

#35 5 years ago

I am not qualified to answer your question but I asked my girlfriend who is a doctor. She recommends that you start with a vasectomy.

I am totally joking. Do not attempt this yourself no matter how easy it may seem.

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from Rock914:

I am not qualified to answer your question but I asked my girlfriend who is a doctor. She recommends that you start with a vasectomy.

You do that from the mouth/throat and head south, right ?

I could do that for people.

LTG : )

#37 5 years ago

Thinking of using fix a flat to fix my butt. Heard it works great!

#38 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I've operated on my liver several times since turkey day.

I think Dr. o-din's work falls more in the "faith healing" category.

Devils Cut (resized).jpgDevils Cut (resized).jpg
#40 5 years ago

Robert, who made the wood gun grips, has sawed off a finger tip, and crazy glued it back!
Works fine, he says....

#41 5 years ago

Hannibal Lechter is available for surgeries

B4957880-4175-42EA-8665-83B1A5D90BB6 (resized).pngB4957880-4175-42EA-8665-83B1A5D90BB6 (resized).png
#42 5 years ago
Quoted from bonzo442:

Hannibal Lechter is available for surgeries

He's aboot to put the Chantix in there

#43 5 years ago

Lol Ray Liotta’s commercials right lmao

#44 5 years ago
Quoted from bonzo442:

Lol Ray Liotta’s commercials right lmao

You ever see this? Pretty dumb but kind of funny

https://www.instagram.com/p/BmH0jBPlbCh/

#45 5 years ago

No, but if you get your pinball buddy to be your anesthesiologist he'll take pictures for you!

180204_034226_91 (resized).jpeg180204_034226_91 (resized).jpeg
#46 5 years ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

Belt sander......and vodka (sterilizer and pain killer)

#47 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

You ever see this? Pretty dumb but kind of funny
https://www.instagram.com/p/BmH0jBPlbCh/

I’ve seen it now....Your joke was better though!

#48 5 years ago
Quoted from Silverballer:

Good ole mecurochrome, I remember using that.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-do-your-own-surgery and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.