Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

15435112574791275101557296806956 (resized).jpg
Screen-Shot-2016-03-08-at-9.15.01-AM (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
There are 71 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 5 years ago

I do my own stuff, I really enjoy it. My rotisserie is such a whore, never spent one night alone since I picked it up years ago...

15435112574791275101557296806956 (resized).jpg15435112574791275101557296806956 (resized).jpg
#52 5 years ago

A little of both.
I run a full time business (non pinball related) that eats up a lot of my time. Between that and family, I simply don’t have enough time to allocate to repair and restoration all by myself.

Besides pinball I also collect arcade games and EM games and that part of my collection is much larger than the pins and requires a ton of maintenance as well. Add it all up and I own close to 100 machines in total which is more than I can take care of by myself.

In a lot of ways it boils down to how much value I think my time is worth. I love working on games, but on an hourly basis this is a money loosing proposition for me. I can make much more money if I focus on my business than if I goof around in the garage working on games.
Hence I will outsource restoration and major repair work.
Once a machine is dialed in keeping up with the basic maintenance is normally pretty easy.

#53 5 years ago

Of course! Half the fun of the hobby is the repairs and tinkering.

#54 5 years ago
Quoted from heni1977:

Guess I better get a de soldering gun then!

Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Yea, that's on my wish list, I'm still using my old Radio Shack de-soldering iron with the sucker bulb. I did not get in on the secret Santa list this year so no Hakko for me again.

Best money you will ever spend. Not only in the huge time savings, but wayyyyy less risk to mess up and make something worse. I only regret not getting mine sooner.

#55 5 years ago

I do all the work on the EM games. I think most people could learn to shop and get en games running with time and patience. With my SS games, it's trickier. There are plenty of online tutorials etc to diagnose board issues and I have successfully repaired some issues, but at times it feels very hit and miss to my uneducated self.

Dave

#56 5 years ago

I'm not much of an artist, so repainting worn down playfields is not my strong suit, but as far as any other repair, be it an old EM, solid state, or modern games, all the info on how to diagnose and make repairs, even board work, is usually one or two clicks away. And the tools required to do so are simple things I already have, so there is nothing I haven't been able to learn to fix on these machines yet.

I only paid a guy to come over once when I was a rookie, and it was something he couldn't figure out. Finally, after much ado, I fixed it on my own.

#57 5 years ago

I'll take a shot at anything (been in the tech/electronics/computer) field pretty much my entire life. Thought I have noted as I have gotten older an increased ability to admit when I'm either in over my head or it's a "you just should not go there" item. May not stop me from trying...

Pins anytime, and I love figuring out mechanisms so I'll have a go at things like vendors, slot machines, jukes... Pretty much anything that crosses my path. You never really know until you try!

Bingos probably are the most challenging. Really got to get to my Zen place before I dive in there!

#58 5 years ago
Quoted from ArcadeTechNerd:

Bingos probably are the most challenging. Really got to get to my Zen place before I dive in there!

Need a starting point? These guys got it down!

#59 5 years ago

It sounds like most everybody here qualifies to be : Jack of all trades---Master at none

#60 5 years ago

I do - I’ve done repairs and playfield swaps. I’ve done some board work, but I would not consider it heavy duty, mostly replacing transistors and header pins. For more delicate work, board work gets sent out.

But I consider repair my favorite aspect of the hobby.

#61 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

everybody here qualifies to be : Jack of

I've been called worse.

#62 5 years ago

I try and it’s always something simple. Getting better. Currently have a Sky Jump and a Wizard down. Something I’m looking forward to fixing.

#63 5 years ago
Quoted from heni1977:

little 3rd degree burn with your soldering iron

Not to mention no self respecting motherboard re-worker uses a radio shack iron anyway.

#64 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I've been called worse.

Beat me to it!!

#65 5 years ago
Quoted from heni1977:

Beat me to it!!

I didn't add the extra "f" because that's against pinside rules and you know how I like to follow all the rules.

#66 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

you know how I like to follow all the rules.

Oh gees, just spit my tea across the room
Thanks o-din

#67 5 years ago

No, thank you! But it's 5:00, so my work day here is done.... for now.

Chow!

#68 5 years ago

I do my own repairs. All my machines are relatively new, so a major repair for me has been to reflow an opto board, replace a power supply or re-solder a broken connection. I don't use my local vendor for support even though I buy most of my machines thru them. My other hobbies include Ham radio, restoring military test equipment and old radios so I have the ability and the test equipment to fix most anything. I like the challenge of diagnosing a problem and fixing it, though I still consider my self a newbee when it comes to pinball. I don't post much, but I enjoy the forum every day for tips that have helped me improve my games, solve problems and to play better.

#69 5 years ago

I've always done all of my own work including electronics.
Its a key part of the collecting/restoring hobby for me.
Steve

2 months later
#71 5 years ago

SDTM Cary Hardy: Pinball Clear Coating Booth on a Budget aka Kill Room

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 159.00
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 35.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 67.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 320.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 35.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 84.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

There are 71 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-do-you-own-repairs/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.