13%

(107 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
6E2D07F9-CCB0-49E2-B19F-8910B4F4340E (resized).png
image (resized).jpg

#1 5 years ago

Reading through the "flu shot" thread gets me a little fired up as I'm a firm believer that decent diet and just some exercise would prevent much of what ails us. I'm not saying it's a cure all, can prevent Polio, or bring world peace, so please don't insinuate that. I'm merely suggesting our bodies, the incredible machines that they are, could probably prevent much of our reliance upon drugs/medicine, and in general allow us to lead a much healthier life.

So the question is simple, do you eat OK, or are you a fast food regular? Do you take a walk, jog, do some sort of exercise or sport at least 3 times a week?

For the record, I'm a sucker for chocolate and rarely pass up a good loaf of bread, but it's not my daily routine. I shoot for 30 minutes of activity every other day. I eat my veggies when I can, choose fruit over processed treats every 3rd round or so. I'm not even close to a routine that is ideal, but I know I feel better when I make these choices.

Let's see where Pinside stands.

#2 5 years ago

I just turned 40 and have always been pretty physcially fit. I wakeboard at a relatively high level, so I need to stay in decent shape to do so. I usually work out 6 days a week. I am pretty old school and I am in the middle of a round of P90X right now. I can do close to 140 pull ups in the legs and back do, so I am crushing it pretty good right now.

Diet is another story. I do well during the week but weekends are tough. I have little kids and a stressful job so I indulge in wine a bit more than I should.

#3 5 years ago

I poop roughly 3x per week.

#4 5 years ago

No. I am on pinside much more than 3 times a week.

#5 5 years ago

I live in an amazingly walkable city and I don't have a car, so I get plenty of that in, but I also eat like a horse and, while it doesn't bother me, it's extremely obvious. I do eat loads of vegetables, though. My old coworkers were on constant weirdo yo-yo diets because they couldn't bring themselves to just, you know, bake some broccoli, and in my four years there I don't think either of them consistently lost a single pound.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from jorge5240:

I just turned 40 and have always been pretty physcially fit. I wakeboard at a relatively high level, so I need to stay in decent shape to do so. I usually work out 6 days a week. I am pretty old school and I am in the middle of a round of P90X right now. I can do close to 140 pull ups in the legs and back do, so I am crushing it pretty good right now.
Diet is another story. I do well during the week but weekends are tough. I have little kids and a stressful job so I indulge in wine a bit more than I should.

OOF, that P90X is killer! Good on you! 140 pull ups? Holy Shit! That is awesome!

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from okayestpinballer:

Hmmm, I wonder if that is healthy? Clockwork, or sporadic? Tell me more!

Seriously though, is that healthy?

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from KozMckPinball:

No. I am on pinside much more than 3 times a week.

Funny you mention that, I find that Pinside does incur a certain level of inactivity. I should start reading Pinside during my elliptical days.

#9 5 years ago

I was exercising three times a week during my lunch hour but now I'm working on my Doozie, you know... priorities. But I do walk to work so that helps. Food wise I try to eat light for breakfast and lunch then a home cooked mealn for supper.
Health is super important people!!

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

Hmmm, I wonder if that is healthy? Clockwork, or sporadic? Tell me more!
Seriously though, is that healthy?

If it is, I hope there’s a big range because Im at about 3 a day

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

I live in an amazingly walkable city and I don't have a car, so I get plenty of that in, but I also eat like a horse and, while it doesn't bother me, it's extremely obvious. I do eat loads of vegetables, though. My old coworkers were on constant weirdo yo-yo diets because they couldn't bring themselves to just, you know, bake some broccoli, and in my four years there I don't think either of them consistently lost a single pound.

I have a few people I know that do the same. They look great for a few weeks (comparatively), then it is back to the same old, and they usually end up heavier than before. If you're putting in the steps, that's terrific. And vegetables are great if you tend to overeat.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from NovaPin:

Health is super important people!!

Yup. I find it is the thing I tend to let go first. Trying to change that as I get older.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from jorge5240:

P90X is the best workout ever. I started doing 10 years ago when I was 47 and was in the best shape of my life. I'm almost 60 now and still do manage to do a lot of it to keep in shape. I can still do 50 pushups straight.

#14 5 years ago

This is something I have strong feelings about! I have always been good about exercising as I walk a lot and run through the local hills which I actively like.

For me it was about diet I always ate what I thought was a healthy low fat, high carb, diet. A bit over a year ago at 47 I got all kinds of bad blood test results back, borderline type 2 diabetic and high cholesterol and my BP was too high. This was despite running 4 times a week and not really being overweight (my BMI was just below it but only just). They wanted me to start taking all kinds of drugs.

Turns out I don't process carbs well. I cut back big time on carbs (I rarely eat grains, sugar or starches now), all my blood tests and BP are totally normal without any drugs and I weigh what I did when I was 21 years old and doing a lot of cycling. I feel great. I still run regularly but can run faster and longer then a year or two ago. What has really blown me away is that I eat a lot more fat than I used to (nuts, avocado and dairy mostly) but my cholesterol has fallen way down.

My personal view is that there is not a single best diet for people out there and that we are all different. If you get to the stage where they want to start you on a bunch of drugs think carefully about what you are eating and think about changing things up it sure made a difference for me!

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from jhanley:

P90X is the best workout ever. I started doing 10 years ago when I was 47 and was in the best shape of my life. I'm almost 60 now and still do manage to do a lot of it to keep in shape. I can still do 50 pushups straight.

I know it is old school but it is proven. I mix up the routines. When I eat spot on and do the program the results are amazing. Since I just turned 40 I am on mission to push it and see if I can get in the best shape ever. I know Father Time is undefeated but, I still think I am young enough to push it.

#16 5 years ago

My work dictates I paddle 7/9/or 13 miles a day down river 5 days a week April to October. These days also have me lifting 10 to 20 heavy rafts over my head carrying them up a flight of uneven steps and throwing them on the truck. Several times throughout the day I drop and do between 10 and 25 pushups to accelerate my heart rate and speed up my metabolism. I also spend alotta time on my mountain bike, and purposely take the steepest and biggest hills on the way back home. When I go anywhere I purposely park my car in the furthest parking spot cuz every little bit helps. Disc golf has me doing alotta walking a couple days a week. Winter has me hitting the slopes where i use to work for the winter. My weak link is my diet, mainly the potato chip, specifically the middlesworth potato chip. Also there's this companies called tastycake that won't leave me alone.
Ive clocked in at 165 to 175 lbs on nearly a 6ft frame most of my adult life so the balance of not so good eating with plenty of exercise seems to be working ok for me.

#17 5 years ago

I eat lots of good food, some bad and fail to do exercises.

#18 5 years ago

My job is a 12 hour workout. Don’t need the gym. I have to stop eating garbage though.

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from okayestpinballer:

Wow that can't be good...I drop at least 2 or 3 a day.

#20 5 years ago

One last thing people over look in diet is water consumption. Throw away that Soda and take down 5-6 12 ounces waters a day. You will notice an immediate difference.

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from tp:

Wow that can't be good...I drop at least 2 or 3 a day.

I am thinking somewhere in the middle is ideal (once a day)

#22 5 years ago

I know it is old school but it is proven. I mix up the routines. When I eat spot on and do the program the results are amazing. Since I just turned 40 I am on mission to push it and see if I can get in the best shape ever. I know Father Time is undefeated but, I still think I am young enough to push it.</blockquote
I did Power 90 first and P90X came out shortly 11 years ago. When I started P90X I could do maybe 3 under hand pullups in a row. When I was done I lost like 20 pounds and could do 27 pullups. I can still do 10 at 59 . You lose strength in your late 50's for sure.

#23 5 years ago

Work out 30 minutes a day, mixing up weights and cardio. Keep tabs on calories and don't over eat. Cut down on booze and beer, especially "mindless" weekday "just a beer or two after work". Down 30 pounds in a year. Small but consistent lifestyle changes go a long way.

#24 5 years ago

Sounds as if many people are trying, and that is terrific!

Mt. Bike steep trail, well, for me that would be stairs instead of elevator or escalator. Every little bit counts.

#25 5 years ago

That is great you are busting out 10 pull ups at 59. Sadly I have a lot of friends in their mid to late 30's that can't do 10 pull ups. I think my wife and I are just sick. We like the pain. Wakeboarding for all these years has conditioned us for it. Most of the people I started riding with are long gone from the sport. I believe if you prepare your body you can push it well into you 40's.

#26 5 years ago

I am 56 and feel great. I play tennis twice a week , and use elliptical at home twice a week too . I try and keep to the schedule as much as I can. I always eat cooked food at home , following very closely the Mediterranean diet ( I am Greek ) . I don’t smoke ,
I eat lots of onions , spices and vegetables , lots of olive oil and water. I eat meet once or twice a week.Haven’t took any med except paracetamol every now and then.
In my line of work ( pharmacist ) I see a lot of health problems relating to smoking , overweight, and lack of exercise , so I try to stay fit. Precaution is the key

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from jorge5240:

That is great you are busting out 10 pull ups at 59. Sadly I have a lot of friends in their mid to late 30's that can't do 10 pull ups. I think my wife and I are just sick. We like the pain. I believe if you prepare your body you can push it well into you 40's.

I know this will sound like a load of crap BS late night commercial, but if you can do one pull-up (or chin-up) now, if you stay dedicated to it, you can do 12 of them, one year from when you start. On no more than 40 seconds a day. But you have to stay dedicated. I've had several people try it and they kept up with it for 4-5 months and then missed a day, then two, then a week and they're done. The thing is, they didn't fail because they couldn't do the routine. They failed only because they weren't dedicated to keep doing it every day, no exceptions. You have to do it every day. Tough if you travel. Tough if you take a week vacation. I've done it a few times over the years, most recently at age 60. I have also had several friends that completed it too. And none of us were any special type of a "physical specimen" either. But I promise you, 12 straight, 180-degree full extension pull-ups with no other exercise involved.

The only equipment needed is a pull-up bar. You can get a door-jam pull-up bar at any sporting goods store for $25. I took it with me when I went on vacation (then again, they were driving trips). But even flying, most hotel workout rooms have a pull-up bar. Anyone up for the challenge?

#28 5 years ago

My comment to this question is last Friday I did 40 minutes on the cybex elliptical machine level 8 of 10 hills program. Said I burned over 500 calories. Sounds good?

That night before the pinside meet and greet hosted by JJ I ate the nachos at Twin Peaks the menu said it was 2400 calories plus I had 2 large beers. I rest my case.

Cheers

#29 5 years ago

I'm eating candy as I read this. And I would rather die than do P90X! But yes, I have gone through many workout phases over the years and it usually lasts for about 3 months. I loose weight, tone up, feel great and then just get sick of it and quit. Now I'm in my 50's and it's harder than ever to get back to it. So it only gets worse with age.
Cheers!

#30 5 years ago

Lost 30 to 35 pounds over the last 18 months. Diet and exercise. I have a light weight/ hi rep program I do 3 to 4 times a week. In the winters I do about 15 miles a week on the elliptical machine. In the summer I play about 60 holes of golf a week. I walk and carry my golf bag. At age 62 it is amazing how much better you can feel.
Before I dropped the weight, both my knees and left hip were killing me all the time. Now 95 percent of that pain is gone.
Got a case of lime disease this past August definately reminded me the importantance of good health.

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from joemagiera:

I know this will sound like a load of crap BS late night commercial, but if you can do one pull-up (or chin-up) now, if you stay dedicated to it, you can do 12 of them, one year from when you start. On no more than 40 seconds a day. But you have to stay dedicated. I've had several people try it and they kept up with it for 4-5 months and then missed a day, then two, then a week and they're done. The thing is, they didn't fail because they couldn't do the routine. They failed only because they weren't dedicated to keep doing it every day, no exceptions. You have to do it every day. Tough if you travel. Tough if you take a week vacation. I've done it a few times over the years, most recently at age 60. I have also had several friends that completed it too. And none of us were any special type of a "physical specimen" either. But I promise you, 12 straight, 180-degree full extension pull-ups with no other exercise involved.
The only equipment needed is a pull-up bar. You can get a door-jam pull-up bar at any sporting goods store for $25. I took it with me when I went on vacation (then again, they were driving trips). But even flying, most hotel workout rooms have a pull-up bar. Anyone up for the challenge?

My consistency has not always been great. I usually do a round of P90X and then take off a couple weeks but I am ussually wakeboarding or running even when not doing the program. I just finished AB Ripper and off to chest and back right now.
Problem is the diet I have a lot of stress so find myself sharing a bottle of wine with my wife a couple times a week. I am 5-9 165 but really need to get down below 160 to be super solid.

#32 5 years ago

Lots of Great Advice.....Everyone is indeed different, so solutions for some, may not be what helps others.

Water over any other drink is universal.
So is Fiber and Vegetables.

Many people can be hurt by Lectins...Tomatoes, Potatoes, Nuts and beans..
I know this sounds silly, but worth a read.

Sugars, Fructose, and Palm Oils....in small quantity like everything else likely OK, too much, and
our body reacts with bacteria that increases to process. Thats bad for the gut.

Not chewing food long enough to break it down.

Watch out for health issues from Probiotics. Most are useless unless Enteric.

Start educating yourself...know your body....Todays medicine is a Pill.

Some can fix themselves well, like me, with OTC Enzyme therapy.
This is Prescription Medicine in the rest of the world, and bunches of new drugs are coming soon
after patent and trials.
Example is Papaya Enzyme, NAC, Nattokinase, Serrapeptase.

Exercise and Stress reduction.

For myself, My doctors are seeing regeneration of tissue in my Arteries and Kidneys....They say this is not
possible...

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from jorge5240:

My consistency has not always been great. I usually do a round of P90X and then take off a couple weeks but I am ussually wakeboarding or running even when not doing the program. I just finished AB Ripper and off to chest and back right now.
Problem is the diet I have a lot of stress so find myself sharing a bottle of wine with my wife a couple times a week. I am 5-9 165 but really need to get down below 160 to be super solid.

There is no way you can do P90X consistently. I did it for the 90 days and after that but after a while it really got my joints hurting. I just do a couple of the workouts a week. I still do a total of 160 pushups in one of them at 59 years old.I also go for a 5 mile walk once a week.

#34 5 years ago

I workout everyday and eat right at every single meal.
Drink about a gallon of water a day.
I have been doing that for almost 10 years now and I feel good.
Few things I learned along the way from experience is that I don’t need to run a marathon when 1or 2 miles will more than do it to keep the heart in order.
I don’t need to lift anything over my body weight give or take 30 pounds to stay strong and functional.
A six pack of abs is not a reasonable goal at 46 if you also like to drink a six pack of beer a week or more and I do so there are some indulgences included in my regiment.
It has to become built into your lifestyle and done like anything else you do every day. Just like brushing your teeth,going to bed etc it becomes just something you do and you eventually forget about the early days when it seemed like a chore or extra step.

Just finished today’s workout it was accomplished on the sidewalk with a 50lb kettlebell and a jump rope using up maybe a total of 6 feet of space. I wear a chest strap paired with the watch to keep an eye on my intensity. image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

This is what a typically week looks like nothing crazy little straight cardio mostly HIIT with kettle bells etc and straight lifting days. 6E2D07F9-CCB0-49E2-B19F-8910B4F4340E (resized).png6E2D07F9-CCB0-49E2-B19F-8910B4F4340E (resized).png
This is a post workout meal.
All fresh nothing out of a box,can or freezer. Nothing buttered,salted or fried.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from High_End_Pins:

All fresh nothing out of a box,can or freezer. Nothing buttered,salted or fried.
[quoted image]

Looks similar to what I eat but I don't hold back on the butter, salt or meat. Not much beer for me these days though as it is liquid bread, spirits and wine are OK though! I'm actually getting close to having a six pack which is short of a shocker for me given I turn 49 in a few days! I have never had one before. I need to do more core work but I don't particularly like it while I do like running and some other things I do. I'm thinking I need to make a big push for the next 6 months and see how I do!

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from phototamer:

I am 56 and feel great. I play tennis twice a week , and use elliptical at home twice a week too . I try and keep to the schedule as much as I can. I always eat cooked food at home , following very closely the Mediterranean diet ( I am Greek ) . I don’t smoke ,
I eat lots of onions , spices and vegetables , lots of olive oil and water. I eat meet once or twice a week.Haven’t took any med except paracetamol every now and then.
In my line of work ( pharmacist ) I see a lot of health problems relating to smoking , overweight, and lack of exercise , so I try to stay fit. Precaution is the key

This is exactly where I am at. The Mediterranean diet has an enormous amount of data behind it, and how it truly enhances health, redecuses risk of serious diseases, and is able to maintain physical agility a bit easier.

Greens, vegetables, berries, nuts, tea, and spices are the key.

#37 5 years ago

With the cold weather coming this is inspiring me to up my weekly input of exercise and lower my food intake. Although I'm finding myself eating more than usual. ... body telling me winter is coming?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-do-it-3-times-a-week-?hl=turtle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.