(Topic ID: 215880)

Do you cut your own Grass? Poll Attached!

By TractorDoc

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 407 posts
  • 147 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Fezmid
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“How is your yard care handled?”

• Yep, Its all on me. 646 votes
      75%
    • No, I do well and that is what the hired help is for. 190 votes
      22%
    • I moved to a condo/apartment to avoid such chores. 15 votes
      2%
    • Grass? What is that? I live in the desert. 14 votes
      2%

(865 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

7495C728-1101-4B44-82FC-A589234DEE15 (resized).png
    34F982FE-D279-415F-8748-3A9435819110 (resized).jpeg
    940D6877-E1AF-4B45-8F2F-C16C6C547696 (resized).jpeg
    F436FD3B-B360-4A78-9791-6F14A8CCB65D (resized).jpeg
    5J5A1022 (resized).JPG
    20190615_104620 (resized).jpg
    41EC9094-0A10-4CD4-87F4-A5FC40766A18 (resized).jpeg
    2241F15C-2347-4A06-BAC3-9ACBEA299C73 (resized).jpeg
    5J5A9019 (resized).JPG
    5J5A3169 (resized).JPG
    5J5A3171 (resized).JPG
    20180914_191857 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180719_232509261 (resized).jpg
    5J5A0466 (resized).JPG
    Riding Mower Wheelie (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider who-dey.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 5 years ago

The day i become too lazy to cut my grass is the day i will kill myself. Im not paying someone to cut my grass period, and you dont want to see my old 19 year old mower either trust me because its becoming a real turd! I cant afford a new one because Stern keeps making all of these great pinball machines that i want to buy like IMDN!

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from zh2oson:

Here in LA it costs me maybe $15/hr for yard guy.

Is he a U.S citizen? Just curious....if not you are putting a U.S. citizen out of work. Just sayin

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from zh2oson:

I'll be honest, citizenship was not my top requirement for someone to cut my grass in nice, straight rows.
    But if the INS is lurking on Pinside...he's legal and I'd be happy to share his contact info with anyone in the greater Pasadena area because he's fantastic.

Well the reason i ask is because if i hire someone to cut my grass which takes about an hour, it would cost at least 40 dollars.

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from zh2oson:

This is LA - our property is measured in square feet and there is an abundance of home-service professionals, so pricing is very competitive.
    Still...depending on what you value your time at, the argument still holds. For me, my time is worth more than $15/hr.

My time is worth more than that also but i can't find anyone that would cut my yard for 15 bucks and i cant say that i blame them for not wanting to either, and citizenship IS definitely a top requirement for me. I'll pay the 40 bucks to help a fellow American and his family before i pay someone 15 dollars who is here illegally and knocking U.S. citizens out of work. Now i know alot of people don't like that but its ruining our country and that's how i feel about it.

With that being said though there is certain things that i won't pay people to do and cutting my yard is one of those things. I just cant imagine paying someone nearly 200 dollars a month to cut my grass when all i gotta do is sit on a damn lawn mower and drive around the yard for an hour lol. I mean seriously i just i can't imagine paying someone to do that but to each his own i guess.

#33 5 years ago
    Quoted from floyd1977:

$200? Yeah, I would mow my own lawn too if the going rate was $200 and it only took me an hour. Instead, it takes me almost two hours by the time I trim and edge. $35 here.

Nearly 200 a month i said. My grass needs cut probably 6 times a month right now because its growing so fast but then once a week once summer gets here so i figure thats close to 200 per month. Id say that i mow 8 months out of the year. I could buy a new mower every year for what it cost me to pay someone to mow my grass. Its not even the money though honestly, its the fact that i personally as a man just can't pay someone to cut my grass. Im not lazy or disabled or sick so until that day comes im going to cut my own grass.

#57 5 years ago
    Quoted from floyd1977:

Well you're obviously more of a man than me!
    Here's the thing. I mowed my lawn for 15 years, and for some of that time, I had a 30 minute commute. Now it's 1:40. That's 10 fewer hours of disposable time I have a week. $15/hour to spend with my family, play pinball, whatever is well worth it to me.
    It comes down to how much you value your time and how rewarding or enjoyable it is for you. You obviously derive some amount of machismo from this exercise, so good on you, but don't judge others as being lazy because I work awfully hard in order to afford little luxuries like this.

It all depends on a persons situation. If you work 10 or 12 hours a day then i understand you not cutting your own grass, unless your yard only takes 30 minutes to.mow or something, then id say cut your grass yourself probably. I know guys that work 3 days a week and their wife cuts the grass while they sit inside and play video games. I know several guys that will not cut the grass period and their wife does all the yard work. Sorry but they are lazy pieces of shit and i can't believe that their wife even stays with them, i bet they're too lazy to wipe their own ass also.

Now there's also nothing wrong with a woman cutting the grass either but i can tell you right now that i would feel pretty bad if i was too lazy to cut the damn yard and my wife had to do it. At the same time theres also nothing wrong with helping your wife do laundry or clean up a little either. I'm pretty old school and im proud of it, thats not a character flaw at all in my opinion. We need more old school people in this world.

#63 5 years ago
    Quoted from floyd1977:

Well you're obviously more of a man than me!
    Here's the thing. I mowed my lawn for 15 years, and for some of that time, I had a 30 minute commute. Now it's 1:40. That's 10 fewer hours of disposable time I have a week. $15/hour to spend with my family, play pinball, whatever is well worth it to me.
    It comes down to how much you value your time and how rewarding or enjoyable it is for you. You obviously derive some amount of machismo from this exercise, so good on you, but don't judge others as being lazy because I work awfully hard in order to afford little luxuries like this.

Also just for the record i f*cking hate cutting the yard. I also work shift work and i only get one weekend a month off. I work lots of 12 hour shifts and all holidays including Christmas even so i may have even less time than you do to cut the yard. Its not about being a big tough man or being macho, its just my responsibility as a property owner and something im not willing to pay someone to do.

#66 5 years ago
    Quoted from Budman:

Absolutely, I mow my own..... 8 acres with a John Deere commercial grade zero turn. It s a great time to be alone with your thoughts. Better yet, no thoughts!

Thats alot of grass lol. If you paid someone to cut your yard it would probably cost about 2 thousand dollars.

#67 5 years ago
    Quoted from dtown:

Two sides of my property have large drainage ditches and I have to do them with the self propelled push mowers which is hard on the knees. That part I don’t enjoy. That’s why I miss my hydro Scag walk behind. Would’ve made it much easier.

That sounds like about a 12 pack job...6 beers for each drainage ditch!

#71 5 years ago
    Quoted from floyd1977:

I get it, but saying you mow your yard because you're not lazy or disabled kind of implies what you think of those who don't.
    I can sympathize with not wanting to pay people to do certain things. I have never paid movers or paid someone to do my taxes (don't even pay for TurboTax or anything) and I'd sooner get a root canal than valet park. That will never change, but when I'm too old I'll have to pay movers

Well im probably thinking of the people that i know that wont cut their yard and just getting an attitude about it and venting truthfully. I actually tell them that they are lazy and that they should be embarrassed that their wife cuts the yard 100% of the time. I mean seriously, thats pathetic im sorry.

There's nothing wrong i guess if a guy has the money to afford that luxery or if he doesn't have the time for whatever reason. Theres just certain things that i personally wont pay people to do i guess. Heck if i was wealthy i would probably go ahead and pay someone to do it and sit on the patio and drink beer and watch him lol. Truthfully I've worked my ass off since i was 15 years old, i probably should take a break and pay someone to do it. Im too hard headed though i guess.

#89 5 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

Mowing the lawn was one of my chores growing up and I hated it. My dad would never spring for a decent mower.
    I’m more than happy to pay someone else to mow my lawn and keep the yard looking nice. If I had to do it myself I would have bought a condo.

You lazy B@stard! Just kidding lol.

#94 5 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

I miss those days. I loved being a lazy bastard. Since my wife went back to work after having the baby, my day consists of waking up at 6:30am to take care of my 9 month old son, dropping him off at sister in laws around 4pm where my wife picks him up around 6pm, then I go to work until 3am. Sleep when I can and on my days off. Yard upkeep is not on my radar.

I definitely dont blame you for paying someone to do it......that sounds like a rough schedule!!

#128 5 years ago

"One more job taken away from a hard working American."

I thought you wanted to move on? You're not paying your lawn care guy enough by the way, you should at least give him 25 bucks.

#133 5 years ago
    Quoted from zh2oson:

Yes, you are correct. My apologies.

Lol im just messing with you.

#136 5 years ago
    Quoted from Trekie:

The kids in my neighborhood won't do anything unless it has a joy stick. They don't shovel or cut grass no matter what you offer. I hired a lawn maintenance guy for 2 years and called it quits. Had gasoline burns in the middle of the yard where he would fill up his machine. He hit the house twice and put holes in the siding and knocked the A/C unit off it's brackets. He couldn't understand why I said no more. So went back to doing it myself.

Lol sounds like that guy must have been drinking on the job possibly?

#140 5 years ago
    Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

My yard eats mowers for breakfast
    These are all dead

Those mowers are beauties compared to mine! I had to work on mine so much last year that i just left the whole left side of the front end off of it. My gf told me that i need to put the front end back on it because its embarrassing looking. I said well good, maybe one of our neighbors will feel sorry for me and take me to Lowes and buy me a new mower!

#146 5 years ago

Man you guys are torturing yourselves! Lol

#155 5 years ago
    Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

Yes sometimes for fun I’ll eat a vegan burger, throw on some skinny jeans, and mow my lawn with it just to troll my neighbors.

That must be a sight to see. I guess its better than wearing Richard Simmons shorts though.

#162 5 years ago
    Quoted from whthrs166:

One of the nice things about living the Colorado Rocky Mountains. No Mowers required. But you might need a backhoe!

Your house is beautiful and the location its in is amazing. What kind of wildlife do you get around there? Must be some bears right?

#168 5 years ago
    Quoted from whthrs166:

That's one of the reasons why its sitin there. Although I have a 1990 Dodge Ram 250 4X4 chained up all around with a 7' Myer plow. That's my snow mower!

How the heck do you buy land out in the middle of nowhere like that?? How many acres do you have there?

#211 5 years ago
    Quoted from tribetime13:

Dude, no offense - but I've been watching your posts throughout this thread and you come off like a real opinionated piece of work. Two pet peeves:
    1.) Guys that couch being a jerk as being "old school" and
    2.) Guys that say something jerky and then say it was a joke once they are called on it
    You seem to be both.

Really now? I will try and do better so i can become as nice as you are ok? Give me a break and get over yourself for real.

#212 5 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

Uh Oh. If you can't say something nice. . .
    C'mon people! We just want to cut some grass here and know who is doing it!

Wow....he hurt my feelings!

#220 5 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

What, none of you race your mowers?
    » YouTube video

That looks like it would be a blast! You could probably build one of those for about the cost of a new pinball machine i bet?

#222 5 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Even cheaper. They are regularly traded and sold on the Facebook marketplace around here.

Probably a little dangerous but i would so do it. Ive always had something to race my whole life, drag cars, go carts etc and i sold it all. Maybe i should give lawn mower racing a try? Wonder if they have a senior class?

#223 5 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

Gave mine the first clip yesterday. All those dandelions popped back up overnite.

Time to sharpen the blades next -- I always wait till after the first cutting just in case I missed something on stick pickup patrol.

You mean that you’re not supposed to run over the sticks and chop them up?

#230 5 years ago
    Quoted from zh2oson:

You don't know the Petermans.

I think alot of us have a neighbor like the Petermans lol. What a perfect name for Dickish neighbors though!

Dont blame the dogs though or do anything to them because ots not their fault, thats what dogs do is bark. The dogs barking and disturbing the neighbors is their owners fault. Call the police or the humane society on them sbout their dogs and hopefully that will fix the problem.

I don't care if my Hound dog goes outside and howls a little, matter of fact i want him to but i would never let him just stay outside and bark non stop. That would be my fault not the digs because he doesn't know any better.

#244 5 years ago
    Quoted from SteveO:

Yes I cut my own grass. Here in Florida it is important to watch out for the critters that are out.

If i seen that at my house it would be up for sale the next day! Reptiles scare the shit out of me!

#247 5 years ago
    Quoted from SteveO:

Fortunately, this was just a corn snake, harmless and not aggressive. I'll take these guys over the mice he is hopefully eating.

ALL snakes are harmful to me because they make me poo my pants and give ne a heart attack!

1 week later
    #275 5 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

Pussy. I guess the only snakes you have there in Cali are the politicians.

Im in Ohio, and i dont even like the black snakes or garter snakes that we have, and yes im a pussy when it comes to snakes. I scream and run like a little girl, not even afraid to admit it at all. Id rather have Connor McGregor chasing after me than a snake, even a non poisenous one!

#279 5 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

You are funny dude. I guess you wouldn't have liked my Burmese Python I had as a pet when I was in college. My wife sure didn't. I know lots of people who say the only good snake is a dead one. You don't like reptiles at all? I guess you don't want to live in Florida then. I would pay to see a grown man running from a snake. Take care.

I am fascinated by reptiles honestly and i like to watch shows about gators and stuff but i just never want to encounter them out in the wild. If i ever walked upon a gator or a Croc, i would literally shit my pants and be so scared that I probably wouldnt even be able to run away. I dont know what it is but snakes and gators seriously scare the hell out of me.

#287 5 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

My first snake as a kid was a ribbon snake like that one. In college I bought a Burmese python that I let roam the apartment freely. At night he would always find his way to my bed to curl up on my stomach for warmth. I would keep a rat in his Aquarium with the screen off. When he was hungry he would go back in it.
    It was when he was reached about 9 feet long that he bit me on the hand. After I pried him off, he turned and bit the other hand. Then I gave him away.

#289 5 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

The snake had to go away when my now wife came into my apartment and ran to the bathroom and it was playing in the toilet. She came out and said either the snake was gone or she was. Queue the " I should have kept the snake" comment but Ill skip it.
    Since I'm telling stories again Ill tell this one. I was driving home taking the back roads on the MC and I saw a snake on the side of the road so I stopped to see what it was. When I walked towards it it slithered off into the weeds so I chased after it. Well it saw me before I saw it and it was a huge cottonmouth and it chased me back out to the street. Im running from this thing like a crazy person with this snake at my heels and as Im running this woman that was stopped at a stop sign and was watching the whole thing had stopped and got out of the car was laughing to the point of hysterics at me and my predicament. Luckily the damn snake gave up because I wasn't going to outrun it.

Cant say i blame your wife at all. She should have bashed you in the head with an iron skillet also to see if she could knock some sense into you!

#291 5 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

He was only 5 feet long. Just a baby.

Thats 5’ too long! There was a garter snake under where i turn on my water hose once and he was like six or eight inches long and i looked down as i was turning the water on and my hand was almost touching him an i thiught it was a rubber snake until i seen him move and i almost shit my pants right there on the spot. The lady next door came over and chopped him up with an axe and come to find out it was a kids snake down the street and i had to fight him because he was so mad lol. We were just kids but I remember it all too well.

#294 5 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

I would have so much fun hiding fake snakes where you could find them. That would be my main source of entertainment.

Yes that would be funny for sure. Just make damn sure they are fake ones though because if you ever slipped a real one in on me i would be coming after your ass! Lol. The only thing that would save you is if you are holding a snake, then i wont come anywhere near you lol.

1 week later
    #317 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Like my sister who lived in Florida, Va Beach, San Diego, Norfolk(CONdo) and has been in San Diego for round two for the past 33 years; she has never owned a lawn mower or snow shovel/snow thrower for her adult life.

Must be nice

1 month later
    #364 5 years ago

Finally retired my old 19-20 year old Husky that i bought at Tractor Supply. It has had to have very little maintenance all of those years and didn't have to do anything at all for the first 14 years but shes finally just starting to get old and alot of little things are starting to happen.

I didn't want to spend the money on a new one truthfully but sometimes a man has to treat himself to a few nice things right? Here's the new one, i hope it turns out to be half as good as the old Husky was!
    20180701_162857 (resized).jpg20180701_162857 (resized).jpg

11 months later
    #393 4 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

What a difference huh? Now paint that shed

Thats his wifes job. She will get around to it soon.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider who-dey.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-cut-your-own-grass-poll-attached?tu=who-dey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.