(Topic ID: 215880)

Do you cut your own Grass? Poll Attached!

By TractorDoc

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 407 posts
  • 147 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Fezmid
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“How is your yard care handled?”

• Yep, Its all on me. 646 votes
      75%
    • No, I do well and that is what the hired help is for. 190 votes
      22%
    • I moved to a condo/apartment to avoid such chores. 15 votes
      2%
    • Grass? What is that? I live in the desert. 14 votes
      2%

(865 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

7495C728-1101-4B44-82FC-A589234DEE15 (resized).png
    34F982FE-D279-415F-8748-3A9435819110 (resized).jpeg
    940D6877-E1AF-4B45-8F2F-C16C6C547696 (resized).jpeg
    F436FD3B-B360-4A78-9791-6F14A8CCB65D (resized).jpeg
    5J5A1022 (resized).JPG
    20190615_104620 (resized).jpg
    41EC9094-0A10-4CD4-87F4-A5FC40766A18 (resized).jpeg
    2241F15C-2347-4A06-BAC3-9ACBEA299C73 (resized).jpeg
    5J5A9019 (resized).JPG
    5J5A3169 (resized).JPG
    5J5A3171 (resized).JPG
    20180914_191857 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180719_232509261 (resized).jpg
    5J5A0466 (resized).JPG
    Riding Mower Wheelie (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tractordoc.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

Off that bat, this is not meant to steal thunder from Gryszzz 's thread -- the go to for all things lawn care talk:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hey-manyou-like-grass

I also understand that some people cut their own and smoke it too. I think there is a thread on Pinside for that as well. . .

This is just meant to be a fun poll post to see how everyone handles their lawn care maintenance. Its that time of year again, the grass is getting taller by the day.

I take care of everything at my place.
    A picture of the tractor that does most of the cutting:

IMG_6951 (resized).JPGIMG_6951 (resized).JPG

Do you cut yours? Mower Pictures are optional, but encouraged.

#29 5 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

Yet another poll that doesn’t have my choice
    I live in the mountains and my landscape is natural scrub oak and pines trees. No lawn

Tried to modify the last choice for you to read "I live in the desert or mountains with natural scrub oak and pines," but not smart enough to know if/how it can be done. Perhaps the mountainous terrain can be considered a grass desert?

#34 5 years ago
    Quoted from zh2oson:

This keeps coming up. Why do people assume that not cutting one's grass is a sign of laziness?

It may not be laziness -- as stated there are people that do not enjoy the task and it can be more cost effective to have the work done by someone else. If anything you are making smart use of your time.

This is laziness:

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

I live in an area where landscapers are less prevalent and I imagine it would cost in the neighborhood of several hundred dollars a week to get the job done, so I do it myself. I also have a certain way of liking how things are done and I've learned the best way to accomplish that is for me to do it vs. depending on my expectations of others.

As I get older farming out will likely get more appealing, as long as the finances can justify it.

#59 5 years ago
    Quoted from robotron911:

I still have testicles.... I still mow my lawn. Too much preening, man-scaping, Metrosexual males who can't do even rudimentary labor.

Man Scaping

#76 5 years ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

What if it snows more frequently?

One of the nice things about that Steiner Tractor in the first picture is the mower deck detaches and a snow plow (or snow blower) can be hooked up. Or you can do like I do and have a second tractor to mount the plow on.

IMG_7106 (resized).JPGIMG_7106 (resized).JPG

But I digress, this thread is about grass, not snow.

#79 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Anyone here have a real push mower similar to this one?

Do not own one but nearly every Amish family out this way has one.

#107 5 years ago
    Quoted from Cserold:

Only the front yard grows as of last month! Best investment I’ve ever made.

That means that the "lawn" in your pictures is artificial? It looks very nice!

Looking at the lines -- do you still have to vacuum or sweep it?

#159 5 years ago
    Quoted from CadillacMusic:

Hey, why no "No, that's what husbands are for" poll option?

A good thought, but I did not want to catch flak from the current "equality for all/gender neutral/no labels or stereotypes" state of mind society seems to be in.

I am impressed with the voting -- over 400 votes!

#160 5 years ago
    Quoted from whthrs166:

One of the nice things about living the Colorado Rocky Mountains. No Mowers required. But you might need a backhoe!

Not much grass to mow, but I bet you have snow to deal with in the winter -- backhoe might help with that too!

#181 5 years ago
    Quoted from electricsquirrel:

For some reason, pulling it out with my 2wd Suburban seemed like a good idea at the time.
    That got stuck too.

Another nice feature of the Steiner tractors is you can add dual wheels for floatation. This one is not mine, stole the pic from the web. Very rarely do I ever put the duals on my tractors.

Guess you can tell that I really like Steiner Products.

#186 5 years ago

Uh Oh. If you can't say something nice. . .

C'mon people! We just want to cut some grass here and know who is doing it!

#201 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Of course I mow my own lawn! You don't think I'm going to pay Jesus to do, do you?

Finally, an O-din Post!

I figured you had a setup like this --

But then I remembered you lived in California and probably had a smaller yard. Any chance this is a picture of your lawn?

510250744a (resized).jpg510250744a (resized).jpg

#217 5 years ago

Gave mine the first clip yesterday. All those dandelions popped back up overnite.

IMG_7512 (resized).JPGIMG_7512 (resized).JPG

Time to sharpen the blades next -- I always wait till after the first cutting just in case I missed something on stick pickup patrol.

#232 5 years ago
    Quoted from WolfManCat:

It takes a John Deer tractor with a rear mowing deck for the tall stuff. I use a smaller honda push mower for the front yard, as to not mess up my drain field.

The color on my screen could be off -- but that looks like some brown grass!
    I know it probably depends on which part of Washington you are in, if I remember right it gets quite dry on the eastern side.

#234 5 years ago

Sure.
    There is grass under it.

#243 5 years ago
    Quoted from SteveO:

Yes I cut my own grass. Here in Florida it is important to watch out for the critters that are out.

Luckily I do not have any of those. . . but yesterday while cutting the grass at a rental property I stirred up a nest of bunnies, uncovered a full set of weenie roasting sticks, and found a lost light saber toy. The blades were set up high enough and no bunny nor object were harmed -- the light saber threw me off though because I thought something important fell off the mower.

#260 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

So if you can't beat em, join em. And I'm sure the whole neighborhood will enjoy my daily 7:00 AM half hour chainsaw wake up call as much as I enjoy theirs.

In my neighborhood it seems like anything is game about any time. I cannot directly see my neighbors but can identify which ones are out cutting by the sound of their mowers. On the weekend it is more common to hear the drone of an engine in the distance doing something or the sound of people shooting their guns than it is to hear the birds chirping. . . Ah the peace and quiet of country life.

#269 5 years ago
    Quoted from Allibaster:

Took care of the yard today for the first time of the season. Beautiful weather. Caught up on some podcasts. Really enjoyed it.

Beautiful area you are in -- I think if I had to leave home/Ohio I'd head for Wyoming.

Will you yard stay green/need cut most of the year of does it start to dry out and brown after spring?

#277 5 years ago

I still jump a bit when a snake crosses my path, but I do not run from them. Every now and again one of these guys pops up when I am cutting the grass, I will shoo them off or if I have to pick them up and move them. Each time I bump a stick and it moves on the ground I think its a snake the rest of the mow session.

IMG_6364 (resized).JPGIMG_6364 (resized).JPG

#293 5 years ago

The rain has kept me off the mower -- to say I am behind is an understatement.

Finally had a chance to get a few sections of the yard cut this evening.

IMG_7631 (resized).JPGIMG_7631 (resized).JPG

#311 5 years ago

Another weekend of storms rolling in but at least I was able to get the dog yard cut. When I built the fence I made the gate too small for the rider so I'm still using a push mower living in the middle of nowhere.

IMG_7645 (resized).JPGIMG_7645 (resized).JPG

1 week later
    #315 5 years ago

Dusted off the big fella to mow several areas for the first time this year.

IMG_7812 (resized).JPGIMG_7812 (resized).JPG

I usually let the wildflowers bloom for several beehives that we have -- once most of the flowers are done its time to start cutting.

IMG_7818 (resized).JPGIMG_7818 (resized).JPG

IMG_7817 (resized).JPGIMG_7817 (resized).JPG

2 weeks later
    #325 5 years ago

Not only do we cut our own, but we roll our own too.

IMG_8071 (resized).JPGIMG_8071 (resized).JPG

Instead of paper we use plastic.

IMG_8079 (resized).JPGIMG_8079 (resized).JPG

All wrapped up for the day.

IMG_8083 (resized).JPGIMG_8083 (resized).JPG

Luckily this grass only gets cut two or three times a year.

#331 5 years ago
    Quoted from PoBoyPinball:

I grew up in Minnesota I can remember stacking square bales of hay in the loft of a barn to make some money in the summer. That was one hot job.

For years I was the guy in the wagon that stacked the bales as the bailer spat them out.
    One of the nicest things dad ever did for me was buy himself a round bailer -- now I let the machines do all the lifting. My body knows its not in its 20s/30s anymore!

IMG_5846 (resized).JPGIMG_5846 (resized).JPG

#338 5 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Look at all this beautiful new grass to cut. Delivered this morning, being installed in a bit.

Congratulations on the new yard! Looks like you will be mowing in no time.

Came in to cool down after finishing the yard here. Halfway thru my main mowing deck went down -- luckily I have a backup.

5J5A0293 (resized).JPG5J5A0293 (resized).JPG

5J5A0313 (resized).JPG5J5A0313 (resized).JPG

1 month later
    #369 5 years ago

Skipped a week mowing for the first time this year; I am not an irrigation guy so some brown areas are starting to show up. Second cutting hay is started, definitely less of a crop than first cutting.

5J5A0466 (resized).JPG5J5A0466 (resized).JPG

3 months later
    #373 5 years ago

Mowing season is about winding down. . . so the next logical question is who takes care of your leaves (if you have any ).

A lot of mine lay where they fall but I do blow them out of the fenced in dog yard -- there is a big maple in there -- and I try to keep the driveway clear. I picked up one of these Buffalo Turbine Units that had no engine from a surplus sale; modified a Kohler engine to spin it and now I can blow leaves into the neighbor's neighbor's yard.

5J5A3169 (resized).JPG5J5A3169 (resized).JPG

5J5A3171 (resized).JPG5J5A3171 (resized).JPG

#377 5 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

The last time I mow for the season I always just mulch them up and let it break down over the winter.

This usually gets done for 90% of the area. Have not been able to get that last mow in due to wet ground. Couple neighbors tried it yesterday but everyone was leaving muddy tire tracks in their yards.

2 months later
    #379 5 years ago

Different Season so of course the next question is. . . Do you shovel/push/blow your own snow?
    Did not have to break the snow blower out last year but just made the first run of 2019.

5J5A9019 (resized).JPG5J5A9019 (resized).JPG

5 months later
    #398 4 years ago

Did some trading for this Scag zero turn last year and have been liking it so far. If I was buying I'd get the wider deck -- the speed makes up for the narrower width and the ride on this thing is a thousand percent better than any other mower I've used. Ground has been very squishy and its gotten a bit dirtier since this pic was taken. . .

5J5A1022 (resized).JPG5J5A1022 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tractordoc.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-cut-your-own-grass-poll-attached?tu=tractordoc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.