(Topic ID: 215880)

Do you cut your own Grass? Poll Attached!

By TractorDoc

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 407 posts
  • 147 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Fezmid
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“How is your yard care handled?”

• Yep, Its all on me. 646 votes
      75%
    • No, I do well and that is what the hired help is for. 190 votes
      22%
    • I moved to a condo/apartment to avoid such chores. 15 votes
      2%
    • Grass? What is that? I live in the desert. 14 votes
      2%

(865 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

7495C728-1101-4B44-82FC-A589234DEE15 (resized).png
    34F982FE-D279-415F-8748-3A9435819110 (resized).jpeg
    940D6877-E1AF-4B45-8F2F-C16C6C547696 (resized).jpeg
    F436FD3B-B360-4A78-9791-6F14A8CCB65D (resized).jpeg
    5J5A1022 (resized).JPG
    20190615_104620 (resized).jpg
    41EC9094-0A10-4CD4-87F4-A5FC40766A18 (resized).jpeg
    2241F15C-2347-4A06-BAC3-9ACBEA299C73 (resized).jpeg
    5J5A9019 (resized).JPG
    5J5A3169 (resized).JPG
    5J5A3171 (resized).JPG
    20180914_191857 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180719_232509261 (resized).jpg
    5J5A0466 (resized).JPG
    Riding Mower Wheelie (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg

There are 407 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 9.
    #1 5 years ago

Off that bat, this is not meant to steal thunder from Gryszzz 's thread -- the go to for all things lawn care talk:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hey-manyou-like-grass

I also understand that some people cut their own and smoke it too. I think there is a thread on Pinside for that as well. . .

This is just meant to be a fun poll post to see how everyone handles their lawn care maintenance. Its that time of year again, the grass is getting taller by the day.

I take care of everything at my place.
    A picture of the tractor that does most of the cutting:

IMG_6951 (resized).JPGIMG_6951 (resized).JPG

Do you cut yours? Mower Pictures are optional, but encouraged.

#2 5 years ago

Nobody washes their own cars or cuts their own grass in LA.

#3 5 years ago

My wife does. For some reason beyond my understanding, she finds yard work relaxing, and I find it the exact opposite. Either that or she hates how I do it...hm...

#4 5 years ago

Riding mower, weedwacker, six pack.

#5 5 years ago

T R I G G E R E D

Haha. Thanks for the tip o the hat. I don't have a trademark on all threads of grass. Yet.

That mower of yers is suh-weet! Let the grass choppin parties commence!

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from zh2oson:

Nobody washes their own cars or cuts their own grass in LA.

I mean, I have hired help and I have sired help:

I said STRAIGHT LINESI said STRAIGHT LINES

You'll get water when this is done, buddyYou'll get water when this is done, buddy

#7 5 years ago

Mine and 50+ other properties....i work out of the back of my old toyota pickup with a push mower , weed eater and blower thats it. . Its alot of work but i have very few costs and get lots of exercise for 8 - months of the year. Not to mention i make pretty good money also.

#8 5 years ago

I love riding the mower around and cutting the grass. So much so that I cut the common area in the neighborhood. They give me $75/hr. (I'd have done it for free.)

#9 5 years ago

The day i become too lazy to cut my grass is the day i will kill myself. Im not paying someone to cut my grass period, and you dont want to see my old 19 year old mower either trust me because its becoming a real turd! I cant afford a new one because Stern keeps making all of these great pinball machines that i want to buy like IMDN!

#10 5 years ago

I only recently (within the last year) started hiring it out. I am either commuting or working from 5:00a to 5:30p during the week, and often we go out of town on the weekends, so I finally decided it was worth it to delegate it.

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

My wife does. For some reason beyond my understanding, she finds yard work relaxing, and I find it the exact opposite. Either that or she hates how I do it...hm...

Exactly my situation. But I do all the chemical work and edging/weed eating.

#12 5 years ago

It's therapy for me and I have a few old tractors to help out.

IMG_2082 (resized).JPGIMG_2082 (resized).JPG

IMG_2022 (resized).JPGIMG_2022 (resized).JPG

IMG_2106 (resized).JPGIMG_2106 (resized).JPG

#13 5 years ago

I cut my grass, and I cut other peoples as well. I make damn good money on other peoples laziness. About 10 hrs a week mowing lawns, and get paid triple my normal wage to do it. It paid for my mustang.

#14 5 years ago

90% of what I do requires me seated and working in front of a computer and phone. Mowing my lawns is my getaway and many times my only connection to the real world!

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from locksmith:

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Don't let my kid know that riding tractors exist!

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from locksmith:

It's therapy for me and I have a few old tractors to help out.

Sweet Honda, liquid cool too!

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

The day i become too lazy to cut my grass is the day i will kill myself. Im not paying someone to cut my grass period.

Quoted from Phat_Jay:

I cut my grass, and I cut other peoples as well. I make damn good money on other peoples laziness. About 10 hrs a week mowing lawns, and get paid triple my normal wage to do it. It paid for my mustang.

This keeps coming up. Why do people assume that not cutting one's grass is a sign of laziness? Here in LA it costs me maybe $15/hr for yard guy. I'm not Warren Buffett or one of the Rothschilds, but I'd be losing money every time I mowed my own lawn.

I also don't clean my own house, change my own oil, grow my own food, flush my gutters or any of a thousand other things that are "easy" to do.

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from zh2oson:

Here in LA it costs me maybe $15/hr for yard guy.

Is he a U.S citizen? Just curious....if not you are putting a U.S. citizen out of work. Just sayin

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from Phat_Jay:

Sweet Honda, liquid cool too!

I have the same Honda. Those things are amazing! Quietest mower I have ever heard. Over 30 years old and still runs like a top.

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Is he a U.S citizen? Just curious....if not you are putting a U.S. citizen out of work. Just sayin

I'll be honest, citizenship was not my top requirement for someone to cut my grass in nice, straight rows.

But if the INS is lurking on Pinside...he's legal and I'd be happy to share his contact info with anyone in the greater Pasadena area because he's fantastic.

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from zh2oson:

This keeps coming up. Why do people assume that not cutting one's grass is a sign of laziness? Here in LA it costs me maybe $15/hr for yard guy. I'm not Warren Buffett or one of the Rothschilds, but I'd be losing money every time I mowed my own lawn.
    I also don't clean my own house, change my own oil, grow my own food, flush my gutters or any of a thousand other things that are "easy" to do.

Yeah, I don't get the lazy angle. It's about how you want to use your time. I don't call people lazy who pay someone to fix their pins. I personally find it enjoyable and rewarding but understand others don't and also don't mind farming it out.

#22 5 years ago

Yet another poll that doesn’t have my choice

I live in the mountains and my landscape is natural scrub oak and pines trees. No lawn

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from zh2oson:

I'll be honest, citizenship was not my top requirement for someone to cut my grass in nice, straight rows.
    But if the INS is lurking on Pinside...he's legal and I'd be happy to share his contact info with anyone in the greater Pasadena area because he's fantastic.

Well the reason i ask is because if i hire someone to cut my grass which takes about an hour, it would cost at least 40 dollars.

#24 5 years ago

takes me 2 hrs. i pay a landscaper 35.00 and they do it in 15 mins. my 2 hrs is worth alot more than 35.00 to me. its just simple math to me.

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Well the reason i ask is because if i hire someone to cut my grass which takes about an hour, it would cost at least 40 dollars.

This is LA - our property is measured in square feet and there is an abundance of home-service professionals, so pricing is very competitive.

Still...depending on what you value your time at, the argument still holds. For me, my time is worth more than $15/hr.

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from robotron:

takes me 2 hrs. i pay a landscaper 35.00 and they do it in 15 mins. my 2 hrs is worth alot more than 35.00 to me. its just simple math to me.

Yep, exactly the same for me.

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from zh2oson:

This is LA - our property is measured in square feet and there is an abundance of home-service professionals, so pricing is very competitive.
    Still...depending on what you value your time at, the argument still holds. For me, my time is worth more than $15/hr.

My time is worth more than that also but i can't find anyone that would cut my yard for 15 bucks and i cant say that i blame them for not wanting to either, and citizenship IS definitely a top requirement for me. I'll pay the 40 bucks to help a fellow American and his family before i pay someone 15 dollars who is here illegally and knocking U.S. citizens out of work. Now i know alot of people don't like that but its ruining our country and that's how i feel about it.

With that being said though there is certain things that i won't pay people to do and cutting my yard is one of those things. I just cant imagine paying someone nearly 200 dollars a month to cut my grass when all i gotta do is sit on a damn lawn mower and drive around the yard for an hour lol. I mean seriously i just i can't imagine paying someone to do that but to each his own i guess.

#28 5 years ago

Every man should mow his own lawn

#29 5 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

Yet another poll that doesn’t have my choice
    I live in the mountains and my landscape is natural scrub oak and pines trees. No lawn

Tried to modify the last choice for you to read "I live in the desert or mountains with natural scrub oak and pines," but not smart enough to know if/how it can be done. Perhaps the mountainous terrain can be considered a grass desert?

#30 5 years ago

$125 / month mow and blow in ATL.

Why waste my Saturday mornings?

#31 5 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

My time is worth more than that also but i can't find anyone that would cut my yard for 15 bucks and i cant say that i blame them for not wanting to either, and citizenship IS definitely a top requirement for me. I'll pay the 40 bucks to help a fellow American and his family before i pay someone 15 dollars who is here illegally and knocking U.S. citizens out of work. Now i know alot of people don't like that but its ruining our country and that's how i feel about it.
    With that being said though there is certain things that i won't pay people to do and cutting my yard is one of those things. I just cant imagine paying someone nearly 200 dollars a month to cut my grass when all i gotta do is sit on a damn lawn mower and drive around the yard for an hour lol. I mean seriously i just i can't imagine paying someone to do that but to each his own i guess.

$200? Yeah, I would mow my own lawn too if the going rate was $200 and it only took me an hour. Instead, it takes me almost two hours by the time I trim and edge. $35 here.

Edit: oh you said 200 a month. Yeah, we get it done twice a month if it needs it so 70/month max. I cancel sometimes if it has been dry.

#32 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bowlingpin:

Every man should mow his own lawn

This isn't the world we live in anymore.

Actually, it is the world *I* live in still and I wouldn't want it any other way. I like cutting grass, weed-wacking, chainsawing, pulling weeds, planting flowers, adding mulch, removing mulch, adding more mulch, add stones to my driveway when needed, moving stones around the driveway when needed(mostly in the spring), digging drainage ditches(we've done a lot of that here), servicing my tractors and small engine "stuff", etc. I learned all of this growing up and I guess I just consider it part of life. I wouldn't know what to do with myself if I paid someone to do all this... and I probably wouldn't be able to afford a new pinball machine then either!!! LOL.

#33 5 years ago
    Quoted from floyd1977:

$200? Yeah, I would mow my own lawn too if the going rate was $200 and it only took me an hour. Instead, it takes me almost two hours by the time I trim and edge. $35 here.

Nearly 200 a month i said. My grass needs cut probably 6 times a month right now because its growing so fast but then once a week once summer gets here so i figure thats close to 200 per month. Id say that i mow 8 months out of the year. I could buy a new mower every year for what it cost me to pay someone to mow my grass. Its not even the money though honestly, its the fact that i personally as a man just can't pay someone to cut my grass. Im not lazy or disabled or sick so until that day comes im going to cut my own grass.

#34 5 years ago
    Quoted from zh2oson:

This keeps coming up. Why do people assume that not cutting one's grass is a sign of laziness?

It may not be laziness -- as stated there are people that do not enjoy the task and it can be more cost effective to have the work done by someone else. If anything you are making smart use of your time.

This is laziness:

I live in an area where landscapers are less prevalent and I imagine it would cost in the neighborhood of several hundred dollars a week to get the job done, so I do it myself. I also have a certain way of liking how things are done and I've learned the best way to accomplish that is for me to do it vs. depending on my expectations of others.

As I get older farming out will likely get more appealing, as long as the finances can justify it.

#35 5 years ago

I have 6 acres in farm country and i have a Kubota with a belly mower but I only cut my lawn maybe twice a year.I get a fifth of vodka and I make a day of it.very few people out here cut there lawns every week and most only cut the front and maybe a small back portion of theit yards.

#36 5 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Nearly 200 a month i said. My grass needs cut probably 6 times a month right now because its growing so fast but then once a week once summer gets here so i figure thats close to 200 per month. Id say that i mow 8 months out of the year. I could buy a new mower every year for what it cost me to pay someone to mow my grass. Its not even the money though honestly, its the fact that i personally as a man just can't pay someone to cut my grass. Im not lazy or disabled or sick so until that day comes im going to cut my own grass.

Well you're obviously more of a man than me!

Here's the thing. I mowed my lawn for 15 years, and for some of that time, I had a 30 minute commute. Now it's 1:40. That's 10 fewer hours of disposable time I have a week. $15/hour to spend with my family, play pinball, whatever is well worth it to me.

It comes down to how much you value your time and how rewarding or enjoyable it is for you. You obviously derive some amount of machismo from this exercise, so good on you, but don't judge others as being lazy because I work awfully hard in order to afford little luxuries like this.

#37 5 years ago

when you don't make much monies....you must take care of your own lawn. it saves me $40 a month

#38 5 years ago

Not lately

#39 5 years ago

It's all about the Time Value of money for the individual.

I value my personal time at double my wage rate.

I do my own car repairs as don't want to get ripped off by crooks.

No thanks to shoveling snow or cutting grass. Twice a month is all we do.

#40 5 years ago

Here is SoCal my fake grass looks awesome!!

#41 5 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

It may not be laziness -- as stated there are people that do not enjoy the task and it can be more cost effective to have the work done by someone else. If anything you are making smart use of your time.
    This is laziness:

Ugh... i get to do alot of yards that look like that unfortunately...

#42 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jenk540i:

Exactly my situation. But I do all the chemical work and edging/weed eating.

I'm actaully the same about vaccuming and cleaning the kitchen. I have high standards for those and do it obsessively so we balance out lol.

#43 5 years ago

I have a Wheelhorse from '84 that starts up every spring. My youngest is away at college now, so I am back on it.
    You cannot beat a Wheelhorse. True quality product that cost a lot ($3500) back then, but still runs like a top. I would have gone thru 6 $1200 machines from home depot by now. And I got a snow plow attachment!

#44 5 years ago
    Quoted from zh2oson:

I say lazy tongue in cheek. I really dont care what people do with their time as long as they pay me. Ive had people sit and drink beer while watching me work. And im completely ok with that. They paid me, itstheir right to do whatever. More power to them.

#45 5 years ago

I have been mowing the same fricking yard for over 40 years now. Pushmower because I am an idiot. No, because I told myself the yard wasn't big enough for a riding mower and I needed the exercise. I said f that last year and bought my first rider. Absolutely love it and now I'm just another annoying neighbor on my tractor 3X week because its fun and only takes 20 minutes compared to the 2 hour torture sessions I used to endure. Now if only my zoysia grass would just start growing.

#46 5 years ago

Yes, I cut my own. Self propelled walk behind. Toro a great little machine 30 plus years and going.

#47 5 years ago

My father has a small engine side business and I’ve helped him on weekends for probably almost 15 years. I’ve had a fair share of mowers, blowers, trimmers etc.

My current rider. Cub Cadet, 50” cut with a 22hp Kawi. Was literally beat to shit when I got it for cheap. I like zero turns but don’t have a ton to spend so this one will do for now...till something else comes along.

1ED64E65-E3CA-47BA-B90C-4238D9E14408 (resized).jpeg1ED64E65-E3CA-47BA-B90C-4238D9E14408 (resized).jpeg

#48 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

It's all about the Time Value of money for the individual.
    I value my personal time at double my wage rate.
    I do my own car repairs as don't want to get ripped off by crooks.
    No thanks to shoveling snow or cutting grass. Twice a month is all we do.

What if it snows more frequently?

#49 5 years ago

Some other stuff that’s come and gone that I’ve repaired.

Still got the Snapper that I bought new.

0BE5E895-6665-4538-A166-C47318111B53 (resized).jpeg0BE5E895-6665-4538-A166-C47318111B53 (resized).jpeg

6CA14317-52D2-4A9C-9506-B4DC6FEDC0EB (resized).jpeg6CA14317-52D2-4A9C-9506-B4DC6FEDC0EB (resized).jpeg

AA033A25-C6DF-44C4-929A-41F7927892E7 (resized).jpegAA033A25-C6DF-44C4-929A-41F7927892E7 (resized).jpeg

#50 5 years ago

I mow other people's yards after work everyday in order to fund this crazy expensive hobby. I mow my yard to, but only when my wife makes me. Lol.

There are 407 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-cut-your-own-grass-poll-attached?hl=tungs10 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.