Do you cut your own Grass? Poll Attached!

(Topic ID: 215880)

Do you cut your own Grass? Poll Attached!

By TractorDoc

9 months ago

Topic Stats

• 387 posts
  • 140 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 28 days ago by Completist
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“How is your yard care handled?”

• Yep, Its all on me. 588 votes
      74%
    • No, I do well and that is what the hired help is for. 178 votes
      22%
    • I moved to a condo/apartment to avoid such chores. 14 votes
      2%
    • Grass? What is that? I live in the desert. 13 votes
      2%

(793 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 144 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

41EC9094-0A10-4CD4-87F4-A5FC40766A18 (resized).jpeg
    2241F15C-2347-4A06-BAC3-9ACBEA299C73 (resized).jpeg
    5J5A9019 (resized).JPG
    5J5A3169 (resized).JPG
    5J5A3171 (resized).JPG
    20180914_191857 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180719_232509261 (resized).jpg
    5J5A0466 (resized).JPG
    Riding Mower Wheelie (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    20180701_162857 (resized).jpg
    my_yard-20Jun2018 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg

There are 387 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 8.
    #351 8 months ago

Can you get a DUI on your own property? Tractor, lawn mower, auto, bicycle, etc. Mine has a private easement that's about 1/8 mile which other residents use to get to their property.

#352 8 months ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

That's hilarious, but not a problem for me, I'm on a private dirt road in the middle of the woods.

Same here.

Quoted from mcluvin:

George Jones?

I don't even like country music but I loved that guy. That story is legend, but much further south of me.

#353 8 months ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

Can you get a DUI on your own property? Tractor, lawn mower, auto, bicycle, etc. Mine has a private easement that's about 1/8 mile which other residents use to get to their property.

Can't believe I actually know the answer to this question but in most states, you're safe on private property until you get within a certain distance of a public roadway. I believe it varies from 6 to 10 feet depending on the state. And yes, you can get a DUI on a bicycle for whatever reason.

#354 8 months ago

You can even get a DUI on a horse.
    I have a property that I use for work. On that property I use a 1996 Craftsman 42" rider I inherited from my brother in law in 2008. At the time it wouldn't run. I took apart the carb and cleaned it. Then put in a spark plug and I haven't had an issue with the engine since. The list of repairs and such since then have been:
    repaired torn seat cover
    replaced drive belt twice
    changed deck belts at least once per season as no one makes quality ones, I recently got a Gates brand belt and have my fingers crossed
    replaced the deck with a new one
    replaced starter
    new rear tires
    replaced steering gear last year
    new steering rack/front axle this year
    several deck spindles until I finally realized the back yard is too rough to mow anything but on highest setting
    new blades
    replaced lift arm for deck
    front tires been leaking down, put them in tub of water today and found two leaks on left and one on right, all got plugs, one valve stem leaking so I replaced the core, one nail in the left tire but not leaking so I left it til I restock on plugs
    left rear tire leaking down and found the inner bead is leaking; plan to reseat the bead with new bead seal
    needs a new muffler, will replace in next couple of weeks
    brakes don't work, need to look into that
    Yes its pretty epic. I'm not at the property a lot and I just can't stand the thought of putting a nicer mower there and someone stealing it. Besides now its just a battle to see if I can keep it from dying. Anyone else have an old beater they just won't let die?

#355 8 months ago
    Quoted from Arcade:

There is another grass thread?
    That is hilarious.

I'm surprised there aren't four threads... this is America!

#356 8 months ago

Here are my weapons of choice:

For the lawn my Diesel Walker mower with GHS (best mower I have ever owned!)

For the fields my Kubota L3540 Hydro with 72” Rears flail mower.

489EE1A4-1864-42CA-B002-4C3C3089B004 (resized).jpegD7663E56-64B2-4D0F-8616-5F2DBEFD61DF (resized).jpeg
    #357 8 months ago

Can't beat an enclosed cab. A/C, radio and not getting dirty. Love mowing the orange grove.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg
    #358 8 months ago

I voted, yep I cut my own grass, about 3/4 of an acre.

Looks like my yard is dry enough that I can cut the grass later today.
    It gets so hot down here in south Louisiana, that I usually cut the grass an hour or two before it gets dark.
    South LA has a looooong growing season. You even have to cut the clover in winter occasionally that pops up in the yard.

I've got a regular ole Craftsman 20 hp riding mower with a 46" cut.

Here's a current pic, before it gets cut.
    my_yard-20Jun2018 (resized).jpg

#359 8 months ago
    Quoted from DaMoib:

I'm surprised there aren't four threads... this is America!

No, we like our two threaded system here in 'Murica. Four would just cornfuse people.

#360 8 months ago
    Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

It gets so hot down here in south Louisiana, that I usually cut the grass an hour or two before it gets dark.

Bingo.
    I never start before 7:00 PM in the summer months.

#361 7 months ago

Yep!
    So much so that I wrote a song about it:

(recorded this 5 years ago, the vocals make me cringe a little but it's a cool tune and the video is pretty sharp too I think)

#362 7 months ago

Nope. But my neighbor mows his lawn every 2 days. Every time he mows, it’s in 2 directions. Almost an acre lot. Sitting outside without the drone of a mower is rare

#363 7 months ago

I might have to change my vote. Now that my wife is off for the summer (she's a teacher), she is starting to mow the lawn. I got home yesterday from work and it was all done. She started trying it last year a couple of times. Then the one time she mowed this year she forgot to put the mower deck down . Put she keeps trying and I can't appreciate it enough.

#364 7 months ago

Finally retired my old 19-20 year old Husky that i bought at Tractor Supply. It has had to have very little maintenance all of those years and didn't have to do anything at all for the first 14 years but shes finally just starting to get old and alot of little things are starting to happen.

I didn't want to spend the money on a new one truthfully but sometimes a man has to treat himself to a few nice things right? Here's the new one, i hope it turns out to be half as good as the old Husky was!
    20180701_162857 (resized).jpg

#365 7 months ago

One of the upsides to moving to a condo unit in Chicago is not having to deal with a yard. One of the downsides is I don't know exactly where I'd put a pinball if I came into one. Good thing there are a lot of pinball locations throughout Chicagoland.

The last house were I lived in Michigan had a yard small enough to cut with an electric weedeater. Was easier too, because of the sloping.

#366 7 months ago

One thing good about a large yard is no neighbors. I can play my pins anytime with no complaints and play the music as loud as I want.

Downside. No pizza delivery.

2 weeks later
    #367 7 months ago

Clearing an overgrown lot. Cuts grass, vines, weeds and whatever else gets in its way.
    image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#368 7 months ago

Damn long thread.

Self propelled mower and whacker... 15 minutes tops for me.

Riding mowers can be a blast. I used to pop wheelies with ours when I was a kid.

Riding Mower Wheelie (resized).jpg
    #369 7 months ago

Skipped a week mowing for the first time this year; I am not an irrigation guy so some brown areas are starting to show up. Second cutting hay is started, definitely less of a crop than first cutting.

5J5A0466 (resized).JPG

#370 7 months ago

I always cut my own grass. Almost 2 acres every other week.

IMG_20180719_232509261 (resized).jpg
    1 month later
    #371 5 months ago

So I finally got a rider this friday. Think I did allright, paid $200 and the guy even delivered it. Runs great, couple little issues. The steering is really tight and you cannot seem to change the deck height. Going to take the steering apart tonight and see whats wrong

20180914_191857 (resized).jpg
    #372 5 months ago
    Quoted from Phat_Jay:

I cut my grass, and I cut other peoples as well. I make damn good money on other peoples laziness. About 10 hrs a week mowing lawns, and get paid triple my normal wage to do it. It paid for my mustang.

Same here! Only about three neighbors yards but it averages out to about an extra $400 a month or $2000 for the cutting season typically.

1 month later
    #373 3 months ago

Mowing season is about winding down. . . so the next logical question is who takes care of your leaves (if you have any ).

A lot of mine lay where they fall but I do blow them out of the fenced in dog yard -- there is a big maple in there -- and I try to keep the driveway clear. I picked up one of these Buffalo Turbine Units that had no engine from a surplus sale; modified a Kohler engine to spin it and now I can blow leaves into the neighbor's neighbor's yard.

5J5A3169 (resized).JPG

5J5A3171 (resized).JPG

#374 3 months ago

Hahahaha, that thing is sick!!

Our mowing is winding down here too, grass is starting to go dormant. Maybe one or two mows at most left.

Our yard is small enough to rake and bag leaves, but I think I'm going to buy a leaf vacuum for this fall.

#375 3 months ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

Mowing season is about winding down. . . so the next logical question is who takes care of your leaves (if you have any ).
    A lot of mine lay where they fall but I do blow them out of the fenced in dog yard -- there is a big maple in there -- and I try to keep the driveway clear. I picked up one of these Buffalo Turbine Units that had no engine from a surplus sale; modified a Kohler engine to spin it and now I can blow leaves into the neighbor's neighbor's yard.
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

Man that thing is nice!! See you have a backpack blower too. That's what I have to blow the leaves into the woods. Every property on our road has woods between them.

#376 3 months ago

The last time I mow for the season I always just mulch them up and let it break down over the winter. Throughout the regular season I just bag them with the grass and set it out to the curb.

#377 3 months ago
    Quoted from RWH:

The last time I mow for the season I always just mulch them up and let it break down over the winter.

This usually gets done for 90% of the area. Have not been able to get that last mow in due to wet ground. Couple neighbors tried it yesterday but everyone was leaving muddy tire tracks in their yards.

#378 3 months ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

now I can blow leaves into the neighbor's neighbor's yard.

Just watch your back, this was evidently Rand Paul's approach to lawn care and he ended up with a punctured lung

2 months later
    #379 29 days ago

Different Season so of course the next question is. . . Do you shovel/push/blow your own snow?
    Did not have to break the snow blower out last year but just made the first run of 2019.

5J5A9019 (resized).JPG

#380 29 days ago

Hah! It was in the 70s here today and I actually mowed today to get up the last of the leaves and the sprigs of grass that haven't gone dormant.

#381 29 days ago

Looks like a nice machine. Nice and comfy inside. Stay warm!

#382 29 days ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

Different Season so of course the next question is. . . Do you shovel/push/blow your own snow?

Yes. All of the above.

In Fact when the air is super cold and snow is fluffy I have been known to use the leaf blower.

#383 29 days ago
    Quoted from ShinyBall:

Yes. All of the above.
    In Fact when the air is super cold and snow is fluffy I have been known to use the leaf blower.

OMG...my neighbor fires up his friggin leaf blower and I swear takes an hour and a half to move snow that could be shoveled in 19 minutes. At 7 am. Hate him.

#384 29 days ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

OMG...my neighbor fires up his friggin leaf blower and I swear takes an hour and a half to move snow that could be shoveled in 19 minutes. At 7 am. Hate him.

LOL I only do it for the front porch

#385 28 days ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Just watch your back, this was evidently Rand Paul's approach to lawn care and he ended up with a punctured lung

Ok, my neighbor has been doing this to me. I have let it go because my Gardener cleans everything up. Also, my neighbor has at least 5 cars and 10 relatives who live with him, and always parks in front of my house. Ususally not a problem because my wife and I park in our driveway. But on trash day, that sob had the nerve to park 2 of his 5 cars in front of my house, while leaving the curb in front of his house free to spread all of his trash cans out for pickup. The garbage man refused to pick up my trash because the neighbors cars were parked to close to the bins and they were afraid of legal liability if the hydraulic claw accidentally hit the neighbors cars. I chased after the garbage truck and got my trash picked up after I tipped them a few bucks to come back. I politely explained the situation to my neighbor and thought we came to an understanding, but sure enough, they pulled the same shit on me this week.
    So I moved all of their trash cans off of their curb onto their front lawn and parked both my wife’s and my car in front of their house. I was chomping at the bit expecting them to knock on my door, but haven’t heard from them. I’m hoping they got the message and this is over. I’ll keep you all informed.

#386 28 days ago

Just a note : If your lawn mower , chain saw , snow blower - needs repair be sure to check out Taryl Fixes all vid's. on you tube . He is the Shaggy of the small engine world !

#387 28 days ago

Bought my wife a convertible last summer. She loves it lol.

9acres of grass to cut now. Thank gawd it rained so much that we had to mow it twice a week. Takes us 5-6hrs each time with the 72” mower deck. Also doubles as our snow plow in the winter as we opted for the snow plow attachment too.

2241F15C-2347-4A06-BAC3-9ACBEA299C73 (resized).jpeg41EC9094-0A10-4CD4-87F4-A5FC40766A18 (resized).jpeg
    Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 199.99
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 229.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 6,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 14.95
    $ 89.99
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    € 3.70
    $ 24.25
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    The MOD Couple
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 24.50
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 20.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 305.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    ...redshiftLED
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 24.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 80.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Latenight Weeknight Mods
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    There are 387 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 8.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside