Do you cut your own Grass? Poll Attached!

(Topic ID: 215880)

Do you cut your own Grass? Poll Attached!

By TractorDoc

9 months ago

Topic Stats

• 387 posts
  • 140 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 28 days ago by Completist
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“How is your yard care handled?”

• Yep, Its all on me. 588 votes
      74%
    • No, I do well and that is what the hired help is for. 178 votes
      22%
    • I moved to a condo/apartment to avoid such chores. 14 votes
      2%
    • Grass? What is that? I live in the desert. 13 votes
      2%

(793 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 144 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

41EC9094-0A10-4CD4-87F4-A5FC40766A18 (resized).jpeg
    2241F15C-2347-4A06-BAC3-9ACBEA299C73 (resized).jpeg
    5J5A9019 (resized).JPG
    5J5A3169 (resized).JPG
    5J5A3171 (resized).JPG
    20180914_191857 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180719_232509261 (resized).jpg
    5J5A0466 (resized).JPG
    Riding Mower Wheelie (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    20180701_162857 (resized).jpg
    my_yard-20Jun2018 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg

There are 387 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 8.
    #301 9 months ago

hard to find a landscaper with a crew that really knows how to use a zero turn without peeling a few square feet of grass every turn. also, i have had some horrible trimming with weed whackers. bottom line is its almost impossible to find people who care and do a nice job. same with house cleaning services. this or that gets scratched, floor isn't clean in spots because they don't care to look or pay attention. it is all just mechanical with most of these workers. getting sick of it. you pay the agreed price and you get a sloppy job that is rushed. i swear between the cleaning crew and landscapers it is almost a contest of who can get the hell out quicker. with all that said, if anyone knows a landscaper and cleaning service in northern NJ morris county that is the complete opposite from what i mentioned above, please let me know their contact info.

#302 9 months ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

I smoke a joint before mowing my two acres. Then I pretend I'm Annihilus piloting the Harvester of Sorrow leading the Annihilation Wave eating up and destroying a planet. Fluffy dandelions are cloud cities being utterly destroyed; clusters of weeds are highly populated areas; moths and flying bugs are the Nova Corps attempting in vain to thwart my progress and evacuate the population.
    The tall grass along the edges of the fence is where the alien population is attempting to flee to. They think they are safe along the border since they are just out of reach of the Harvester of Sorrow's death blades. And they are....until Galactus the Weed Wacker arrives to finish their destruction.
    Then next week the Annihilation Wave opens a wormhole to another planet teaming with sentient life to destroy and convert all matter into cosmic food to feed the hive.

Cut mine yesterday

IMG_20180517_192921859_HDR (resized).jpg

#303 9 months ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

I smoke a joint before mowing my two acres. Then I pretend I'm Annihilus piloting the Harvester of Sorrow leading the Annihilation Wave eating up and destroying a planet. Fluffy dandelions are cloud cities being utterly destroyed; clusters of weeds are highly populated areas; moths and flying bugs are the Nova Corps attempting in vain to thwart my progress and evacuate the population.
    The tall grass along the edges of the fence is where the alien population is attempting to flee to. They think they are safe along the border since they are just out of reach of the Harvester of Sorrow's death blades. And they are....until Galactus the Weed Wacker arrives to finish their destruction.
    Then next week the Annihilation Wave opens a wormhole to another planet teaming with sentient life to destroy and convert all matter into cosmic food to feed the hive.

I like how you think.

#304 9 months ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

Must be some good shit

#305 9 months ago

It has been raining for about a week in my area. My grass as well as several neighbors is about a foot tall. It is not going to be fun to cut it when it dries out a bit. Fortunately I cut my back yard right before the deluge.

#306 9 months ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

It has been raining for about a week in my area. My grass as well as several neighbors is about a foot tall. It is not going to be fun to cut it when it dries out a bit. Fortunately I cut my back yard right before the deluge.

Yeah, Sunday is already reserved for mowing. I might need to buy a machete.

#307 9 months ago

For those of you dealing with the rain, if the grass is very tall, cut it high. You don't want to lop too much off in one go.

#308 9 months ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

For those of you dealing with the rain, if the grass is very tall, cut it high. You don't want to lop too much off in one go.

Good point. The mower would stall out pretty quick at a low or medium setting anyway. I figure cutting at a high setting will buy a few days for a second cutting, and then a third cutting will likely be needed 5 or 6 days after that because of all the water we have gotten.

#309 9 months ago

Don't have to feel guilty about not mowing the lawn this weekend. Received over 8" of rain since Monday.

#310 9 months ago

What grass, I live in the desert. I don't have any snow in winter either. I spend my time playing pinball instead

#311 9 months ago

Another weekend of storms rolling in but at least I was able to get the dog yard cut. When I built the fence I made the gate too small for the rider so I'm still using a push mower living in the middle of nowhere.

IMG_7645 (resized).JPG

#312 9 months ago

After a week of rain the grass is high and the snakes are on the lawn looking for food. I had to call my dog after he tangled with a Bluestripe Garter Snake. Neither was bitten.

93E640AA-949B-4345-B30E-F0FEC07FD8DA (resized).jpeg

#313 9 months ago
    Quoted from SteveO:

After a week of rain the grass is high and the snakes are on the lawn looking for food. I had to call my dog after he tangled with a Bluestripe Garter Snake. Neither was bitten.

Oh, hell no......

#314 9 months ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

Oh, hell no......

I mowed the lawn this morning and the same snake was hanging around the pool pump. Lots of wildlife around this morning after the rains. I fished some frogs out of the pool and plenty of lizards moving out of the way of the mower. There was a loud goose and peacock on the front lawn that my dog wanted nothing to do with. He loves chasing squirrels and cats but knows not to mess with the geese.

#315 8 months ago

Dusted off the big fella to mow several areas for the first time this year.

IMG_7812 (resized).JPG

I usually let the wildflowers bloom for several beehives that we have -- once most of the flowers are done its time to start cutting.

IMG_7818 (resized).JPG

IMG_7817 (resized).JPG

#316 8 months ago
    Quoted from gamera9:

What grass, I live in the desert. I don't have any snow in winter either. I spend my time playing pinball instead

Like my sister who lived in Florida, Va Beach, San Diego, Norfolk(CONdo) and has been in San Diego for round two for the past 33 years; she has never owned a lawn mower or snow shovel/snow thrower for her adult life.

#317 8 months ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Like my sister who lived in Florida, Va Beach, San Diego, Norfolk(CONdo) and has been in San Diego for round two for the past 33 years; she has never owned a lawn mower or snow shovel/snow thrower for her adult life.

Must be nice

#318 8 months ago

I just upgraded to a 30” two weeks ago from a 21”. What a difference!

D9CE1F3D-F84A-4941-85C5-3B89BCE3B6E5 (resized).jpeg

#319 8 months ago
    Quoted from ultimategameroom:

I can't figure out where ya sit on that thing

#320 8 months ago

Most of my neighbors pay to have their yards mowed and also pay for gym memberships to stay in shape.
    I don’t pay for either,only mower cost and routine maintenance!

#321 8 months ago
    Quoted from ultimategameroom:

I’m digging that old Honda 3 wheeler at first I thought an old 110 but I see suspension in the front forks so I’m thinking 185 or big red?

#322 8 months ago

It’s a 1983 Honda 185S. I got it new when I was 12 years old. I mowed a lot of yards to pay for it so very fitting to this thread topic. I’ve probably been asked a hundred times if I’d sell it by guests/ contractors who see it in the garage.
    Sorry! Not For sale!

16EF0E7A-6880-4402-8B3F-C1ED925ED629 (resized).jpeg

7FD997F9-B5AC-4BBC-BB19-64D80C357317 (resized).jpeg

#323 8 months ago

Just finished this morning. Been so darn hot already this year July/August hot in May. So been cutting in stages do some in the mornings and other in the evenings.

37625236-9AE1-47C6-AABA-5AABE03EB149 (resized).jpeg

#324 8 months ago

I used to hate mowing.
    Just really got into it this year thanks to “The Lawn Care Nut” on YouTube.
    This guy truly loves to mow.
    I am not near as crazy as he is but I did learn a lot watching his videos and just put down my first application of Milargonite last month. It is some amazing stuff.
    Here is my mower and part of my enormous yard I get to cut.
    I also use most of the EGO brand battery operated lawn care equipment.
    I have the leaf blower, weed trimmer and chainsaw.

A9C8CDA9-3727-4A59-B9C5-0E3C3F11E2AA (resized).jpeg

96B3EB44-C6B0-4F03-8AB7-EE48DC1F3652 (resized).jpeg

1 week later
    #325 8 months ago

Not only do we cut our own, but we roll our own too.

IMG_8071 (resized).JPG

Instead of paper we use plastic.

IMG_8079 (resized).JPG

All wrapped up for the day.

IMG_8083 (resized).JPG

Luckily this grass only gets cut two or three times a year.

#326 8 months ago

I grew up in Minnesota I can remember stacking square bales of hay in the loft of a barn to make some money in the summer. That was one hot job.

#327 8 months ago

Anyone have experience with the ryobi electric riding mower? I have maybe .5-.75 acre, new septic mound which is my only real hill and not a ton of space for storage so I wanted a smaller rider.

Currently I have a toro 30” timesaver Walk behind, and it takes about 85 minutes to mow.

#328 8 months ago

For months I paid $325.00 (twice a month from June to Sept.) to cut and weedwack (fence line) within 4+ acres of pasture grass. Finally got sick and tired of lousy, unreliable service and price changes, including the constant replacing of sprinkler risers, mower ruts, fence damage, debris left behind, etc.
    Purchased a John Deere 535 and do everything within 4 hours. Yes, its work, however, I'm fortunate to physically perform it and very satisfied to know its done properly with no surprises. The extra $650.00 in my pocket each month is the other plus.

20171230_143913 (resized).jpgJohn Deere 535 zero turn (resized).jpg
    #329 8 months ago

2 acers. Toro Z Master 5000 fuel injected with a 60" cut.

IMG_0927 (resized).JPGIMG_0928 (resized).JPGIMG_0929 (resized).JPG
    #330 8 months ago

Landscaper stopped by today to confirm the plan and is dropping off all the rock and sod this afternoon.

With any luck I'll be mowing my own grass in a couple of weeks.

#331 8 months ago
    Quoted from PoBoyPinball:

I grew up in Minnesota I can remember stacking square bales of hay in the loft of a barn to make some money in the summer. That was one hot job.

For years I was the guy in the wagon that stacked the bales as the bailer spat them out.
    One of the nicest things dad ever did for me was buy himself a round bailer -- now I let the machines do all the lifting. My body knows its not in its 20s/30s anymore!

IMG_5846 (resized).JPG

#332 8 months ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

For years I was the guy in the wagon that stacked the bales as the bailer spat them out.

I've caught a few bales in my day. When my family first moved to Pennsylvania, all our neighbors were plain (Mennonite, no electric/phone/etc) and that first summer we had nothing else to do so we helped on their farms. Super sweet meadow tea is incredible when you've been out in the sun all day.

#333 8 months ago

Look at all this beautiful new grass to cut. Delivered this morning, being installed in a bit.

pasted_image (resized).png
    #334 8 months ago

I need some advice on picking up a reasonably priced walk behind mower. Suggestions?

#335 8 months ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I need some advice on picking up a reasonably priced walk behind mower. Suggestions?

Get a Honda. Best mower I ever bought.

#336 8 months ago

Bought a Husqvarna 4 wheel drive model at Lowes about 2 years ago. Decent mower that pulls you along at a nice pace.

image (resized).png
    #337 8 months ago

Ended up picking up a Troy-Bilt mower from Lowes with a Honda engine. I got 20% off the $300 price, so I couldn't turn that down. It'll get me started with my yard and we can graduate to something else if need be.

#338 8 months ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Look at all this beautiful new grass to cut. Delivered this morning, being installed in a bit.

Congratulations on the new yard! Looks like you will be mowing in no time.

Came in to cool down after finishing the yard here. Halfway thru my main mowing deck went down -- luckily I have a backup.

5J5A0293 (resized).JPG

5J5A0313 (resized).JPG

#339 8 months ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

Congratulations on the new yard! Looks like you will be mowing in no time.
    Came in to cool down after finishing the yard here. Halfway thru my main mowing deck went down -- luckily I have a backup.

Posted the update from yesterday in the other grass thread, but forgot here.

They got everything done late yesterday, with a few things to come back and tweak.

pasted_image (resized).png
    #340 8 months ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Ended up picking up a Troy-Bilt mower from Lowes with a Honda engine. I got 20% off the $300 price, so I couldn't turn that down. It'll get me started with my yard and we can graduate to something else if need be.

I was gonna suggest Lowe's. This is the weekend to double dip coupons and the 10% off for Lowe's credit card customers.

#341 8 months ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Posted the update from yesterday in the other grass thread

There is another grass thread?
    That is hilarious.

#342 8 months ago

My mowing usually has a Pinball component. I mow first. Next, I edge, trim and blow. That usually gives me about 2-3 hours of good podcast time.

Here’s my formula. Basic ear protection plus noise cancelling earbuds. I’m on my second set of Bose earbuds and they are possibly one of my favorite electronic purchases of all time. Throw in a few of my favorite podcasts and I’m all set.

AFD6FACE-92D3-41F3-832B-537845F0B5CE (resized).jpeg
    #343 8 months ago

32A182C4-D894-4CAC-96D2-2F19FDC91E83 (resized).jpeg408474B3-5D91-4656-A118-555FFBD62EE4 (resized).jpegC49F65C7-984A-4FD3-8F6B-DEFA461A592E (resized).jpeg
    #344 8 months ago
    Quoted from Nevus:

Basic ear protection

I've got a few pairs of those same ear protectors, good stuff for the price.

#345 8 months ago

My strategy was always to turn Metallica up loud enough I couldn't hear the mower. Could explain some of my HF hearing loss.

#346 8 months ago
    Quoted from Nevus:

My mowing usually has a Pinball component. I mow first. Next, I edge, trim and blow. That usually gives me about 2-3 hours of good podcast time.
    Here’s my formula. Basic ear protection plus noise cancelling earbuds. I’m on my second set of Bose earbuds and they are possibly one of my favorite electronic purchases of all time. Throw in a few of my favorite podcasts and I’m all set.

What, no beer in the cupholder?

#347 8 months ago

I used to. Then I dislocated my shoulder a week ago. Now I dont...

#348 8 months ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

What, no beer in the cupholder?

Careful, in PA you can get a DUI on a lawnmower if you go within a half-dozen feet of the road with that beer. Of course, the only guy I know who ever got a DUI on a lawnmower actually drove it to the bar and parked it out front for a couple hours. They didn't have too much trouble catching him.

#349 8 months ago
    Quoted from emkay:

Careful, in PA you can get a DUI on a lawnmower if you go within a half-dozen feet of the road with that beer. Of course, the only guy I know who ever got a DUI on a lawnmower actually drove it to the bar and parked it out front for a couple hours. They didn't have too much trouble catching him.

That's hilarious, but not a problem for me, I'm on a private dirt road in the middle of the woods.

#350 8 months ago
    Quoted from emkay:

George Jones?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 229.99
    $ 10.95
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    £ 45.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    £ 58.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Sillyoldelf Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 219.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 259.99
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 8,000.00
    $ 7,199.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 109.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 6,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 200.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 239.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    There are 387 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 8.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside