(Topic ID: 215880)

Do you cut your own Grass? Poll Attached!

By TractorDoc

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 407 posts
  • 147 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Fezmid
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“How is your yard care handled?”

• Yep, Its all on me. 646 votes
      75%
    • No, I do well and that is what the hired help is for. 190 votes
      22%
    • I moved to a condo/apartment to avoid such chores. 15 votes
      2%
    • Grass? What is that? I live in the desert. 14 votes
      2%

(865 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

7495C728-1101-4B44-82FC-A589234DEE15 (resized).png
    34F982FE-D279-415F-8748-3A9435819110 (resized).jpeg
    940D6877-E1AF-4B45-8F2F-C16C6C547696 (resized).jpeg
    F436FD3B-B360-4A78-9791-6F14A8CCB65D (resized).jpeg
    5J5A1022 (resized).JPG
    20190615_104620 (resized).jpg
    41EC9094-0A10-4CD4-87F4-A5FC40766A18 (resized).jpeg
    2241F15C-2347-4A06-BAC3-9ACBEA299C73 (resized).jpeg
    5J5A9019 (resized).JPG
    5J5A3169 (resized).JPG
    5J5A3171 (resized).JPG
    20180914_191857 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180719_232509261 (resized).jpg
    5J5A0466 (resized).JPG
    Riding Mower Wheelie (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    There are 407 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 9.
    #251 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I think I might have finally put an end to that asshole gardening service that likes to fire up the mower and blower at 7 AM next door every Monday.
    Even if he doesn't speak English, I'm sure he got the message anyway.
    I don't know of one single homeowner in the neighborhood that cuts his own grass that would have that much disrespect and be that inconsiderate to start up any power tools at that ungodly hour.

it may be annoying but running that equipment at 7AM is legal.

#252 5 years ago
    Quoted from Marvin:

Just because it's legal doesn't mean you should do it. If they need to start that early then they should do it on up the hill where the rich people live and see how they like it or face my wrath week after week. I'm over it!

#253 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Just because it's legal doesn't mean you should do it. If they need to start that early then they should do it on up the hill where the rich people live and see how they like it or face my wrath week after week. I'm over it!

If I was the landscaper and you came out reasonably, I'd probably see if I could adjust my scheduling slightly, but no guarantee that it would happen. You come out like an @$$ and you can guarantee you'd get getting 7am work next to your house and I might give discounts to your neighbors just to be able to be more annoying to you.

#254 5 years ago
    Quoted from maestro:

I mow about 1.2 acres with a John Deere D170 (54 inch deck), string trim and blow and it takes ma about 2 hours total once per week. I would hang my head in shame if I had my wife doing this. On the flip side she will burn a hole through my skull if I dare touch the dishwasher or laundry. Seriously! That being said, I once found myself in a position where it was impossible for me to mow for a few weeks. I got a price from the crew I saw doing my neighbor's spot. Quoted me $150. So that's 75/hr if I do it myself. I left it grow tall that time because I refuse to believe its worth that much money. I wish I knew where some of the guys are getting their prices from I see in this topic. Everyone where I live charges stupid high prices for everything.

I agree, I have like half an acre or so and all my neighbors get their grass cut so one time I asked what the cost was an it was $75 (Not including tip). For that price and given how flat my yard is, I'll take the hour to cut it lol. Maybe it's a Virginia thing hahaha...

#255 5 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

If i seen that at my house it would be up for sale the next day! Reptiles scare the shit out of me!

I'd give you 10 upvotes on this if I could. Snakes and ticks creep me out!

#256 5 years ago
    Quoted from Marvin:

If I was the landscaper and you came out reasonably, I'd probably see if I could adjust my scheduling slightly, but no guarantee that it would happen. You come out like an @$$ and you can guarantee you'd get getting 7am work next to your house and I might give discounts to your neighbors just to be able to be more annoying to you.

I think it's more up to the homeowners when they schedule to have this kind of thing done. And it's not just next door. Every day of the week there is a different one starting that early. Sometimes even earlier. But this is ten feet from my bedroom window.

Talking to any of them usually does no good and they just give you some stupid WTF look.

So if you can't beat em, join em. And I'm sure the whole neighborhood will enjoy my daily 7:00 AM half hour chainsaw wake up call as much as I enjoy theirs.

#257 5 years ago

I use to hate mowing when I was younger but now I actually enjoy it.

I made an RC mower a couple of years ago.

https://www.facebook.com/tresvogt/posts/10103587180897692

grass (resized).jpggrass (resized).jpg

mower (resized).jpgmower (resized).jpg

#258 5 years ago

The RC mower is great!!

#259 5 years ago

Kid loves to mow.

IMG_0319 (resized).JPGIMG_0319 (resized).JPG

#260 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

So if you can't beat em, join em. And I'm sure the whole neighborhood will enjoy my daily 7:00 AM half hour chainsaw wake up call as much as I enjoy theirs.

In my neighborhood it seems like anything is game about any time. I cannot directly see my neighbors but can identify which ones are out cutting by the sound of their mowers. On the weekend it is more common to hear the drone of an engine in the distance doing something or the sound of people shooting their guns than it is to hear the birds chirping. . . Ah the peace and quiet of country life.

#261 5 years ago
    Quoted from Tres:

I made an RC mower a couple of years ago.

Carl_Steven (resized).jpgCarl_Steven (resized).jpg

#262 5 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

Ah the peace and quiet

29tn4y (resized).jpg29tn4y (resized).jpg

#263 5 years ago
    Quoted from Marvin:

Not where I live, and most other cities as well have a 10pm to 8am loud noise ordinance.

#264 5 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

Not where I live, and most other cities as well have a 10pm to 8am loud noise ordinance.

there are noise ordinances, most around here are 7am, which is what I was basing on.

#265 5 years ago

I try not to mow my lawn until 10am. In the summer it is closer to 9:00am because of the heat here in Florida makes it tough for this 59 year old. 7:00am is way too early for outdoor power equipment IMO.

#266 5 years ago
    Quoted from SteveO:

I try not to mow my lawn until 10am. In the summer it is closer to 9:00am because of the heat here in Florida makes it tough for this 59 year old. 7:00am is way too early for outdoor power equipment IMO.

No disagreement on the @$$hole aspect of doing it early. For a business it makes sense to start as early as legally allowed. At home, don't be an @$$, unless your neighbors already are.

#267 5 years ago

Not mine, but identical to one I bought in 1972 for $40. Mowed a public cemetery with it for 4 years, from the mid-late 50s Craftsman

mower (resized).jpgmower (resized).jpg

#268 5 years ago

Took care of the yard today for the first time of the season. Beautiful weather. Caught up on some podcasts. Really enjoyed it.

IMG_0953 (resized).jpgIMG_0953 (resized).jpg

IMG_0954 (resized).jpgIMG_0954 (resized).jpg

#269 5 years ago
    Quoted from Allibaster:

Took care of the yard today for the first time of the season. Beautiful weather. Caught up on some podcasts. Really enjoyed it.

Beautiful area you are in -- I think if I had to leave home/Ohio I'd head for Wyoming.

Will you yard stay green/need cut most of the year of does it start to dry out and brown after spring?

#270 5 years ago

I have a small yard (60m2 approx) Buffalo grass (Sir Walter Turf) I was wondering if anyone has tried the Ryobi battery powered mowers and line trimmers?

#271 5 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

Beautiful area you are in -- I think if I had to leave home/Ohio I'd head for Wyoming.
    Will you yard stay green/need cut most of the year of does it start to dry out and brown after spring?

Thanks. We love it here.

Our property is an old alfalfa (hay) field. It stays green through about mid July. I have water rights and irrigation water but don't currently use it. I'll need to mow it four to five times per season depending how dry or hot the summer is.

#272 5 years ago

My grandparents lived in Sheridan for a time, as well as Glenrock and Torrington. Love that country.

#273 5 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

And how much did you get paid to be making these pinside posts?
    There is a difference between opportunity cost... and actual revenue

Apparently, you haven't read my renovation thread. I make crazy money with product placement and endorsements.

#274 5 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

If i seen that at my house it would be up for sale the next day! Reptiles scare the shit out of me!

Pussy. I guess the only snakes you have there in Cali are the politicians.

#275 5 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

Pussy. I guess the only snakes you have there in Cali are the politicians.

Im in Ohio, and i dont even like the black snakes or garter snakes that we have, and yes im a pussy when it comes to snakes. I scream and run like a little girl, not even afraid to admit it at all. Id rather have Connor McGregor chasing after me than a snake, even a non poisenous one!

#276 5 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Im in Ohio, and i dont even like the black snakes or garter snakes that we have, and yes im a pussy when it comes to snakes. I scream and run like a little girl, not even afraid to admit it at all. Id rather have Connor McGregor chasing after me than a snake, even a non poisenous one!

You are funny dude. I guess you wouldn't have liked my Burmese Python I had as a pet when I was in college. My wife sure didn't. I know lots of people who say the only good snake is a dead one. You don't like reptiles at all? I guess you don't want to live in Florida then. I would pay to see a grown man running from a snake. Take care.

#277 5 years ago

I still jump a bit when a snake crosses my path, but I do not run from them. Every now and again one of these guys pops up when I am cutting the grass, I will shoo them off or if I have to pick them up and move them. Each time I bump a stick and it moves on the ground I think its a snake the rest of the mow session.

IMG_6364 (resized).JPGIMG_6364 (resized).JPG

#278 5 years ago

I've got them all. Cottonmouths ( very mean snake ). Coral snake. ( docile ). Pigmy rattler ( plentiful ) and the Eastern diamond back. ( The biggest of them all. Somewhat rare, probably endangered ).
    The rattlesnakes like dry land. The cottonmouths and coral snakes like wet land. Also have the "puffer snake" which acts like it's venomous.

#279 5 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

You are funny dude. I guess you wouldn't have liked my Burmese Python I had as a pet when I was in college. My wife sure didn't. I know lots of people who say the only good snake is a dead one. You don't like reptiles at all? I guess you don't want to live in Florida then. I would pay to see a grown man running from a snake. Take care.

I am fascinated by reptiles honestly and i like to watch shows about gators and stuff but i just never want to encounter them out in the wild. If i ever walked upon a gator or a Croc, i would literally shit my pants and be so scared that I probably wouldnt even be able to run away. I dont know what it is but snakes and gators seriously scare the hell out of me.

#280 5 years ago
    #281 5 years ago

This just happened here in SC:

Floridians are probably used to this as well.

#282 5 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

You are funny dude. I guess you wouldn't have liked my Burmese Python I had as a pet when I was in college.

My very first herb guy had a python and the first time I got glued to his couch, I sat there and held it for a couple hours. It was a mindblowing experience, in a trailer park. His cat would also come up for shotties but as an adult, I don't find that quite as amusing anymore. Then again, the cat was older than I was at the time.

#283 5 years ago
    Quoted from emkay:

My very first herb guy had a python and the first time I got glued to his couch, I sat there and held it for a couple hours. It was a mindblowing experience, in a trailer park. His cat would also come up for shotties but as an adult, I don't find that quite as amusing anymore. Then again, the cat was older than I was at the time.

Sounds glamorous.

#284 5 years ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

Sounds glamorous.

Feel free to pony up with your glamorous python story. I’m gonna queue up some Whitesnake and cut my grass.

#285 5 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

I still jump a bit when a snake crosses my path, but I do not run from them. Every now and again one of these guys pops up when I am cutting the grass, I will shoo them off or if I have to pick them up and move them. Each time I bump a stick and it moves on the ground I think its a snake the rest of the mow session.

My first snake as a kid was a ribbon snake like that one. In college I bought a Burmese python that I let roam the apartment freely. At night he would always find his way to my bed to curl up on my stomach for warmth. I would keep a rat in his Aquarium with the screen off. When he was hungry he would go back in it.
    It was when he was reached about 9 feet long that he bit me on the hand. After I pried him off, he turned and bit the other hand. Then I gave him away.

#286 5 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

Yet another poll that doesn’t have my choice
    I live in the mountains and my landscape is natural scrub oak and pines trees. No lawn

I agree. I live in Tokyo and can cut my grass with some scissors - I miss having a real yard though

#287 5 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

My first snake as a kid was a ribbon snake like that one. In college I bought a Burmese python that I let roam the apartment freely. At night he would always find his way to my bed to curl up on my stomach for warmth. I would keep a rat in his Aquarium with the screen off. When he was hungry he would go back in it.
    It was when he was reached about 9 feet long that he bit me on the hand. After I pried him off, he turned and bit the other hand. Then I gave him away.

#288 5 years ago

The snake had to go away when my now wife came into my apartment and ran to the bathroom and it was playing in the toilet. She came out and said either the snake was gone or she was. Queue the " I should have kept the snake" comment but Ill skip it.

Since I'm telling stories again Ill tell this one. I was driving home taking the back roads on the MC and I saw a snake on the side of the road so I stopped to see what it was. When I walked towards it it slithered off into the weeds so I chased after it. Well it saw me before I saw it and it was a huge cottonmouth and it chased me back out to the street. Im running from this thing like a crazy person with this snake at my heels and as Im running this woman that was stopped at a stop sign and was watching the whole thing had stopped and got out of the car was laughing to the point of hysterics at me and my predicament. Luckily the damn snake gave up because I wasn't going to outrun it.

#289 5 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

The snake had to go away when my now wife came into my apartment and ran to the bathroom and it was playing in the toilet. She came out and said either the snake was gone or she was. Queue the " I should have kept the snake" comment but Ill skip it.
    Since I'm telling stories again Ill tell this one. I was driving home taking the back roads on the MC and I saw a snake on the side of the road so I stopped to see what it was. When I walked towards it it slithered off into the weeds so I chased after it. Well it saw me before I saw it and it was a huge cottonmouth and it chased me back out to the street. Im running from this thing like a crazy person with this snake at my heels and as Im running this woman that was stopped at a stop sign and was watching the whole thing had stopped and got out of the car was laughing to the point of hysterics at me and my predicament. Luckily the damn snake gave up because I wasn't going to outrun it.

Cant say i blame your wife at all. She should have bashed you in the head with an iron skillet also to see if she could knock some sense into you!

#290 5 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Cant say i blame your wife at all. She should have bashed you in the head with an iron skillet also to see if she could knock some sense into you!

He was only 5 feet long. Just a baby.

#291 5 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

He was only 5 feet long. Just a baby.

Thats 5’ too long! There was a garter snake under where i turn on my water hose once and he was like six or eight inches long and i looked down as i was turning the water on and my hand was almost touching him an i thiught it was a rubber snake until i seen him move and i almost shit my pants right there on the spot. The lady next door came over and chopped him up with an axe and come to find out it was a kids snake down the street and i had to fight him because he was so mad lol. We were just kids but I remember it all too well.

#292 5 years ago

I would have so much fun hiding fake snakes where you could find them. That would be my main source of entertainment.

#293 5 years ago

The rain has kept me off the mower -- to say I am behind is an understatement.

Finally had a chance to get a few sections of the yard cut this evening.

IMG_7631 (resized).JPGIMG_7631 (resized).JPG

#294 5 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

I would have so much fun hiding fake snakes where you could find them. That would be my main source of entertainment.

Yes that would be funny for sure. Just make damn sure they are fake ones though because if you ever slipped a real one in on me i would be coming after your ass! Lol. The only thing that would save you is if you are holding a snake, then i wont come anywhere near you lol.

#295 5 years ago

The sexual tension is palpable. This is the first chapter of Genesis in a nutshell.

#296 5 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Yes that would be funny for sure. Just make damn sure they are fake ones though because if you ever slipped a real one in on me i would be coming after your ass! Lol. The only thing that would save you is if you are holding a snake, then i wont come anywhere near you lol.

When I was a kid I had a baby boa in my shirt pocket at a car auction. I didn't realize that its head was poking out a guy saw it as he walked by and it scared him so bad he turned and ran and he ran into a car and knocked himself out. Funny shit right there.

#297 5 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

The rain has kept me off the mower -- to say I am behind is an understatement.
    Finally had a chance to get a few sections of the yard cut this evening.

Yeah, the rain has been quite a pain. I dont like mowing wet grass in a wet yard. Going to try to wait another day to have things dry out.

#298 5 years ago

It's been raining all week here so the lawn is very long. Good thing I put some sod in before the rain came.

#299 5 years ago

I cut myself and mostly hate doing it. But - I dumped my gas mower and got a 70v battery powered push mower that works just as good as gas. The second battery only takes 1/2 hour to charge, so there is no down time for cutting my whole yard.

So now that I don't have to deal with gas, oil changes, small engine maintenance, - I hate it less.

#300 5 years ago

I smoke a joint before mowing my two acres. Then I pretend I'm Annihilus piloting the Harvester of Sorrow leading the Annihilation Wave eating up and destroying a planet. Fluffy dandelions are cloud cities being utterly destroyed; clusters of weeds are highly populated areas; moths and flying bugs are the Nova Corps attempting in vain to thwart my progress and evacuate the population.

The tall grass along the edges of the fence is where the alien population is attempting to flee to. They think they are safe along the border since they are just out of reach of the Harvester of Sorrow's death blades. And they are....until Galactus the Weed Wacker arrives to finish their destruction.

Then next week the Annihilation Wave opens a wormhole to another planet teaming with sentient life to destroy and convert all matter into cosmic food to feed the hive.

There are 407 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-cut-your-own-grass-poll-attached/page/6?hl=darcangeloel and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.