(Topic ID: 215880)

Do you cut your own Grass? Poll Attached!

By TractorDoc

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 407 posts
  • 147 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Fezmid
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“How is your yard care handled?”

• Yep, Its all on me. 646 votes
      75%
    • No, I do well and that is what the hired help is for. 190 votes
      22%
    • I moved to a condo/apartment to avoid such chores. 15 votes
      2%
    • Grass? What is that? I live in the desert. 14 votes
      2%

(865 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

7495C728-1101-4B44-82FC-A589234DEE15 (resized).png
    34F982FE-D279-415F-8748-3A9435819110 (resized).jpeg
    940D6877-E1AF-4B45-8F2F-C16C6C547696 (resized).jpeg
    F436FD3B-B360-4A78-9791-6F14A8CCB65D (resized).jpeg
    5J5A1022 (resized).JPG
    20190615_104620 (resized).jpg
    41EC9094-0A10-4CD4-87F4-A5FC40766A18 (resized).jpeg
    2241F15C-2347-4A06-BAC3-9ACBEA299C73 (resized).jpeg
    5J5A9019 (resized).JPG
    5J5A3169 (resized).JPG
    5J5A3171 (resized).JPG
    20180914_191857 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180719_232509261 (resized).jpg
    5J5A0466 (resized).JPG
    Riding Mower Wheelie (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    There are 407 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 9.
    #152 5 years ago
    Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

Yes sometimes for fun I’ll eat a vegan burger, throw on some skinny jeans, and mow my lawn with it just to troll my neighbors.

I order my vegan burgers with bacon and bleu cheese. They're fuckin' delicious.

#153 5 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

another poll that doesn’t have my choice
    I live in the mountains and my landscape is natural scrub oak and pines trees. No lawn

One of the nice things about living the Colorado Rocky Mountains. No Mowers required. But you might need a backhoe!

122AEEA2-6BBE-45E2-8CC9-C756375BECED (resized).jpeg122AEEA2-6BBE-45E2-8CC9-C756375BECED (resized).jpeg
    316DA5D5-BA18-40A3-8256-CAD04E11E4DB (resized).jpeg316DA5D5-BA18-40A3-8256-CAD04E11E4DB (resized).jpeg
    D6B2201C-EA96-45C4-9CA5-7B2C63B6F212 (resized).jpegD6B2201C-EA96-45C4-9CA5-7B2C63B6F212 (resized).jpeg

#154 5 years ago
    Quoted from emkay:

You’re halfway there...I’ll convert you if it’s the last thing I do...

#155 5 years ago
    Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

Yes sometimes for fun I’ll eat a vegan burger, throw on some skinny jeans, and mow my lawn with it just to troll my neighbors.

That must be a sight to see. I guess its better than wearing Richard Simmons shorts though.

#156 5 years ago

Use to, but now...Nope. Not suppose to over heat...plus lawn mowers and upkeep are damn expensive!

#157 5 years ago

Looking at new mowers this year, ill take the brown ride on with the handle bars....

2893BC81-3639-44D5-A305-164209038348 (resized).jpeg2893BC81-3639-44D5-A305-164209038348 (resized).jpeg

#158 5 years ago
    Quoted from whthrs166:

ill take the brown ride on with the handle bars....

Includes free fertilizer! Genius

#159 5 years ago
    Quoted from CadillacMusic:

Hey, why no "No, that's what husbands are for" poll option?

A good thought, but I did not want to catch flak from the current "equality for all/gender neutral/no labels or stereotypes" state of mind society seems to be in.

I am impressed with the voting -- over 400 votes!

#160 5 years ago
    Quoted from whthrs166:

One of the nice things about living the Colorado Rocky Mountains. No Mowers required. But you might need a backhoe!

Not much grass to mow, but I bet you have snow to deal with in the winter -- backhoe might help with that too!

#161 5 years ago

I work in the yard here and there, and am pruning or getting up fallen branches or leaves, and planting all the time. That said, I have a weekly service to do the mowing and trimming.

#162 5 years ago
    Quoted from whthrs166:

Your house is beautiful and the location its in is amazing. What kind of wildlife do you get around there? Must be some bears right?

#163 5 years ago

Hell no, isn't this why we had kids!?!?!!??

#164 5 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Your house is beautiful and the location its in is amazing. What kind of wildlife do you get around there? Must be some bears right?

Lots of bears in Colorado in my experience. Probably all the IT jobs.

#165 5 years ago
    Quoted from emkay:

It’s delicious because it has meat!!!

#166 5 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Yeah we see Black Bear, Elk, Deer, Coyote, Mountain Lion, and Moose.

#167 5 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

backhoe might help with that too!

That's one of the reasons why its sitin there. Although I have a 1990 Dodge Ram 250 4X4 chained up all around with a 7' Myer plow. That's my snow mower!

#168 5 years ago
    Quoted from whthrs166:

That's one of the reasons why its sitin there. Although I have a 1990 Dodge Ram 250 4X4 chained up all around with a 7' Myer plow. That's my snow mower!

How the heck do you buy land out in the middle of nowhere like that?? How many acres do you have there?

#169 5 years ago

I have an electric lawnmower......best purchase ever.

#170 5 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

How the heck do you buy land out in the middle of nowhere like that?? How many acres do you have there?

This is in Idaho Springs Co. That's 30 minutes out of Denver Metro, so it really isn't in the middle of nowhere, although it looks like it, which suits me fine. I have a place here in town also (Arvada) west metro Denver. There is land for sale around the corner right now. They usually come in 5 acre tracts and up. I am a mountain excavator so my business is Mountain Site Development. So when you buy that piece of land give me a call and I can get ya ready for building. This house is on 5 acres.

#171 5 years ago
    Quoted from whthrs166:

This is in Idaho Springs Co. That's 30 minutes out of Denver Metro, so it really isn't in the middle of nowhere, although it looks like it, which suits me fine. I have a place here in town also (Arvada) west metro Denver. There is land for sale around the corner right now. They usually come in 5 acre tracts and up. I am a mountain excavator so my business is Mountain Site Development. So when you buy that piece of land give me a call and I can get ya ready for building. This house is on 5 acres.

I feel a lot less manly than I did before reading this. This guy can move mountains (literally).

#172 5 years ago
    Quoted from Cserold:

I feel a lot less manly than I did before reading this. This guy can move mountains (literally

We have certainly felt like that sometimes. We move lots of ROCKs (hence the Rockies) and sometimes it requires a Bang Stick or two! I am 53 now and I am getting tired of "The Rocky Mountain Way" of excavation so I am in the process of passing the torch to the younger (son) generation. If any of you guys come to visit here in Colorado (Denver Area) PM me and I will hook up with ya and play some pinball!

#173 5 years ago

Am I the only one that's shocked by this poll. NONE of my neighbors or friends mow their own lawn.

I do and enjoy it most of the time, but St. Augustine grass can be a bear in the summer. When we're in rainy season I have to mow about every 5 days or so.

#174 5 years ago
    Quoted from Toasterdog:

Am I the only one that's shocked by this poll. NONE of my neighbors or friends mow their own lawn.
    I do and enjoy it most of the time, but St. Augustine grass can be a bear in the summer. When we're in rainy season I have to mow about every 5 days or so.

Growing up in humid south Texas I can only imagine how thick and fast the st Augustine must grow in coastal Florida. Such a great grass though when thick and freshly cut. I even tried the Palmetto variety of st Augustine which is the most shade tolerant but that still didn’t make it in my backyard. Hence the turf pics above. Ugh. Massive trees are gorgeous but come at a price

#175 5 years ago

For some reason, pulling it out with my 2wd Suburban seemed like a good idea at the time.

That got stuck too.

mudtractor3 (resized).jpgmudtractor3 (resized).jpg

#176 5 years ago
    Quoted from electricsquirrel:

For some reason, pulling it out with my 2wd Suburban seemed like a good idea at the time.
    That got stuck too.

LOL, I love that you took the time to take a picture before completing the job

#177 5 years ago

My wife took the picture. She thought it was funny as hell.

I'm under the front of the Suburban hooking up the tow rope.

#178 5 years ago

During my first marriage, I did. Once I remarried, I realized that I really didn't give a flying fark about the lawn, and was no longer in need of an excuse to escape my wife for 3 hours.

#179 5 years ago

Cut the lawn for the first time this year last night. I got about 5 acres, 1.5 acres of that is grass. Takes about an hour and half to mow and weedwack. I actually enjoy it.

#180 5 years ago

my neighbor Jim does. he is out of work and i give him $50 cash a week and he enjoys it. gives him something to do. he takes his time and uses a push mower, not a heavy zero turn. most landscapers that i had in the past had inexperienced guys using zero turn mowers ripping up sections of grass all over the place. and to add to that, they would be clueless with a weed whacker as well. for 6000 a season, i thought my lawn yard should've looked better.

#181 5 years ago
    Quoted from electricsquirrel:

That got stuck too.

Another nice feature of the Steiner tractors is you can add dual wheels for floatation. This one is not mine, stole the pic from the web. Very rarely do I ever put the duals on my tractors.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Guess you can tell that I really like Steiner Products.

#182 5 years ago

Well I answered I do, but in reality my wife cuts the grass

When we moved in (20 years ago) I wanted to hire someone to do it because I did it all the time growing up and hated it. After a brief argument she said she'd just do it and I've kept her to that. In the last 20 years I've only mowed it when she was too pregnant (2 kids) and when she had a broken leg (two different occasions) and maybe on Mother's day a few times.

We've paid someone else to mow it exactly once and that was last year. I came home from work and there was an elderly man and woman mowing the grass and edging. After some help with google translate found out they were hired to mow a rental house a couple houses down from ours (our grass must have been longer). I told them to go ahead and finish and paid them the $25 he asked for doing it.

#183 5 years ago

I love to mow, trim, edge, blow etc. I put on my noise canceling earbuds under my ear protection headphones and listen to pinball podcasts etc. It’s my weekend Zen from March to November in the deep South.

I also like to do minor maintence like belts, blades, oil, filters etc. it’s a nice diversion from my inside job under fluorescent lights.

#184 5 years ago

Scag is where it’s at!

CF9FF1CF-D330-49D7-88C4-C8BFBB58692F (resized).jpegCF9FF1CF-D330-49D7-88C4-C8BFBB58692F (resized).jpeg

#185 5 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Lol im just messing with you.

Dude, no offense - but I've been watching your posts throughout this thread and you come off like a real opinionated piece of work. Two pet peeves:

1.) Guys that couch being a jerk as being "old school" and
    2.) Guys that say something jerky and then say it was a joke once they are called on it

You seem to be both.

#186 5 years ago

Uh Oh. If you can't say something nice. . .

C'mon people! We just want to cut some grass here and know who is doing it!

#187 5 years ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

I love riding the mower around and cutting the grass. So much so that I cut the common area in the neighborhood. They give me $75/hr. (I'd have done it for free.)

For that I would close my business and mow grass

#188 5 years ago

14 acres to mow... use diesels and 72" or larger decks... F935 (resized).JPGF935 (resized).JPGzd28 (resized).jpgzd28 (resized).jpgMorgan on tractor (resized).jpgMorgan on tractor (resized).jpgFront New Barn1 (resized).jpgFront New Barn1 (resized).jpg

#189 5 years ago

I don't have professional equipment, but grabbed this cheap off a buddy hiding it during a divorce....Brush guard is great for buzzed mowing

20180502_102120.jpg20180502_102120.jpg

#190 5 years ago

I mowed my own lawn when I had an acre of land in Bucks county PA. I moved 8 years ago to Dallas area and now have a big house on a small lot. It costs $25 to have my front lawn mowed (my back is AstroTurf). My current lawn is too small for me to bother with maintaining and storing equipment and fuel given the low cost to have others do a better job than I ever would. I donated my tractor, weed eater, blower, etc. to charity and never looked back.

#191 5 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

I'm wondering if the HOA fees are nuts? If they pay $75/hr to cut grass, what are they paying for all their other maintenance items?

#192 5 years ago

Mowing was my first job. Started when I was 12 mowing the neighbors lawns for $5. Kept that up until I was 16 and got a job at a supermarket. Kept that job throughout college. So basically I've had a job since I was 12.

Still mow my own lawn (well kids did it for a while but now they are working summer jobs). Bought an electric (lithium batteries) mower three years ago and it's been working great. Love not having to deal with the noise and exhaust...and gas...and oil.

#193 5 years ago

This is my preferred method. Easier on the back. . . .

lm (resized).jpglm (resized).jpg

#194 5 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

Unfortunately, it's only an hour job.

#195 5 years ago

Just delivered this morning. Craftsman mower crapped out after 7 years, hope to get more time on this, although they just don't make them like they used to.

IMG_0652 (resized).JPGIMG_0652 (resized).JPG

#196 5 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

I'm wondering if the HOA fees are nuts? If they pay $75/hr to cut grass, what are they paying for all their other maintenance items?

I have never seen a HOA that wasn't a total PITA. Mine sends their kids around saying they are looking for a lost dog while they are really looking for something to send a letter about. They were demanding that anyone who had a cracked driveway have it fixed because someone in the HOA made a deal with a driveway company. If someone got a new driveway and it wasn't through their buddy they would look to see if the company pulled a permit to get them in trouble. If there was something they could find out of code they would turn them in to the city, say some had a smooth transition from the street to the driveway where the city requires a lip, yep redo. I shorted them 10 bucks last year and they turned it in to a lawyer and it cost me 700 bucks. Fucking assholes. everyone hates them but no one will go to the meetings and say anything because they are afraid of them.

#197 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bohdi:

This is my preferred method. Easier on the back.

LOL Man I would bust a nut with that rig! It would have to be self propelled!

#198 5 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

I have never seen a HOA that wasn't a total PITA. Mine sends their kids around saying they are looking for a lost dog while they are really looking for something to send a letter about. They were demanding that anyone who had a cracked driveway have it fixed because someone in the HOA made a deal with a driveway company. If someone got a new driveway and it wasn't through their buddy they would look to see if the company pulled a permit to get them in trouble. If there was something they could find out of code they would turn them in to the city, say some had a smooth transition from the street to the driveway where the city requires a lip, yep redo. I shorted them 10 bucks last year and they turned it in to a lawyer and it cost me 700 bucks. Fucking assholes. everyone hates them but no one will go to the meetings and say anything because they are afraid of them.

You need to find other people to do it, then vote the current ones out. That is the hard part, as very few people are willing to deal with it. I would report the activity you are describing to the ombudsman. If they are really doing that, it is illegal.

I have owned two condos now, and have been a board member at both. It isn't very fun as pretty much no one is satisfied with anything you do. They won't bother to help, but love to complain. I am getting tired of taking pics of cars parked where they aren't supposed to be. I actually really like condo living, but there are always about 10% of the people who refuse to follow the rules, and create more than 90% of the work for the association. The other 90% spend way too much time complaining about the 10%. It is a never ending cycle.

So, as you can probably tell, I do not mow my own lawn. I don't like it, and it is not worth my time to do. In the house we sold last year, I paid $25/wk to have it done. I have probably mowed a lawn 10 times in my adult life, and I hated it every time. Recently, I have included just about all handyman work, most cleaning, and pretty much any other chores to my no thank you list. I will take out the trash, do dishes, change light bulbs, and turn on the roomba once in a while. Everything else is either done by the association, or I pay to have it done. I will never mow a lawn or clean a bathroom again in my lifetime.

#199 5 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

I have heard some real horror stories about HOAs. (Covenant Controlled Communities) I call them Communist Controlled Communities! Some of them are just crooked.

#200 5 years ago

Of course I mow my own lawn! You don't think I'm going to pay Jesus to do it, do you?

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

There are 407 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-cut-your-own-grass-poll-attached/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.